Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Negative trolls will be trolls. The thread was not negative. You were.

I liked it. I just found it bizarre.

As I said I think Bliz wanted to give those epics bound on account anyway. But instead of giving them on a boring electronic interface they went on an actual in-game island. But of course children will never read past the first sentence of a thread right?

Mod-Note: Please, do not call people trolls.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2013-12-23 at 11:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FemaleGoblinMage View Post
    Negative trolls will be trolls. The thread was not negative. You were.

I liked it. I just found it bizarre.

As I said I think Bliz wanted to give those epics bound on account anyway. But instead of giving them on a boring electronic interface they went on an actual in-game island. But of course children will never read past the first sentence of a thread right?
    You know calling people trolls can get you infracted right? Just warning you.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantil View Post
    If you spent a few nights a week raiding during the first tier of this expansion, then you took a break and came back and discovered that any could go 1-90 and out gear you all in the span of a week, wouldn't you be a little pissed off?
    no, because the island is, and always has been a way for people who are re-rolling, taken a break, or new to the game, to catch up in Ilevel.
    As someone who has raided since vanilla, it has not made my head explode, it has not made me think QQ easy mode epics, Or even had the the phrase "welfare epic" come to mind. It is just another avenue to gear up a character.

"Omg the epics the welfares the gears!"

I imagined a vanilla or tbc raider looking at it, its brain will explode.

edit: PS. I imagine the reason blizzard did it was that they wanted to give those epics "bound on account" anyway. So instead of giving them on a blunt boring interface menu, they are on a magical/bizarre/weird "island".
    I'm a vanilla raider. My brain did not explode.

496 gear is meaningless at this point, so what. Even the 535 gear is crappily put together and pales by comparison to anything you'd really want. It's nothing but an catchup mechanism that saves me spending thousands on my alts. What's not to like?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladimeir View Post
    Yea, those welfare epics several tiers below current gear =\ Even after 1+ year break they shouldnt matter. Also, going to the island in blues will probably get you killed outside of the chests.

Its basically equivalent to Naxx geared players getting mc gear... Or Tier6/6.5 geared players farming heroics. Welfare is a relative term for difficulty (if content is easy for you it must be welfare) and guess what, its always existed.
    I think they are welfare epics because you can get them as a solo player. In MY opinion (which is the only one that counts) epic items should not be obtainable without help from a group or raid. All the items on timeless isle should be rare at best

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I think they are welfare epics because you can get them as a solo player. In MY opinion (which is the only one that counts) epic items should not be obtainable without help from a group or raid. All the items on timeless isle should be rare at best
    You must hate crafters.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    Why would you quit playing for a year and expect to not to be left behind ...?
    I agree. Being left behind is punishment for quitting

Deleted
    people who think epics are epics because they are rare are not veterans. epics are superior to rare while being same itemlevel was what made them "epic". Today epics are just purple colored items for no reason. And everyone will prefere t14 items over timeless crap anyways, so one year doesn't really matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    You must hate crafters.
    Nope, but I think any crafted epics should still require at least 1 component that drops from monsters that require a group or raid to kill, like it used to be

Quote Originally Posted by Manhands View Post
    SoO LFR requires 496 ilvl. That's an entire gear set from Timeless Isle. If you don't already have a geared toon, that takes a while.
    No it doesn't. You can gear a character for SoO LFR in less than a day after hitting 90. I know because I just did it, having leveled a 90 on a new server, spending 4-5 hours on the isle tagging rares and looting all the chests, during which I found one burden, and looted another from the chest next to the sanctuary. If you have the time to spare, and the luck to match, you can be 530+ ilvl in a week after hitting level cap. I've been 90 for 3 weeks, and I'm up to 537, with no normal runs, and having only done wing 1 of flex twice.

Also, whoever mentioned being unlucky getting a 3 stat suffix, I assume you mean one stat suffix, because stamina and a primary stat are static on every item, but more importantly, having an item that rolls a single rating is often beneficial, as it will have a much higher value than it would if the item had rolled two ratings. Not quite twice as much, but if it happens to roll the most beneficial rating to your spec, it ends up being a better item anyway.

The term welfare epics may have originated with arena gear, but true welfare began technically with the last patch of BC, when they added the badge of justice system. Running karazhan to gear up a character was legitimate, but running karazhan while getting currency that you could use to purchase BT quality gear was what spawned this whole thing. Come Wrath, blues were practically more rare than epics. There's a reason blizzard changed Cata heroics to only drop blues, because they wanted epics to mean something again. Sadly that disappeared after the first patch again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    I think it's pretty stupid they're epic. The burden upgraded items should be epic but not the 496 ones...
    So you think the color matters? You really think the color of the gear's name matters?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    I dont see why this is used as a point of justification. You can literally bot and get a full raiding set now, its that easy. We shouldnt be comparing this level of pathetic gear gain to some PvP gear in BC.
    You could literally bot for Honor and get nearly BiS weapons back then..... not just sub-current-tier epics to get into LFR.

They're only 496 epics, you can get into lfr with them.

grats?

10+ Year Old Account

edit: PS. I imagine the reason blizzard did it was that they wanted to give those epics "bound on account" anyway. So instead of giving them on a blunt boring interface menu, they are on a magical/bizarre/weird "island".
    "Welfare epics"

Go back to everquest
    Wrath baby and proud of it

OP: TBC introduced "welfare epics" into the game. Badge of Justice gear, back then, was better than Timeless Isle epics are today.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account

As a TBC raider, I can assure you that, while having a few screws loose in general, my head did in fact not explode.

Sorry to disappoint. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    Why would you quit playing for a year and expect to not to be left behind ...?
    I always wondered why people cry over that too. Hello, you've been away for a year. Do you really want to only see a tiny fraction of the content that your money goes to create? The free catch up mechanics are probably one of the worst thing that has happened to this game. It hands out the content with no actual rewards to be had. Instead, you're free to obtain the best, or a near best replica piece for a trivial amount of work, bypassing every single bit of the content that was before the end game.

It's like going out to eat for a fancy dinner, arriving late, and receiving the scraps off of other people's plates as your main course. Sure, you had the same thing they had, but it's sure nowhere near as good quality and your portions aren't nearly what theirs were. You're just getting the scraps.

Guilds worked themselves out fine in the core game, as well as the first expansion and to a slightly lesser extent, the second one. If you fell behind, you found a guild that was on your level in terms of things. It worked out for everyone; They didn't have to carry you when you fell behind and you didn't have never see the content, because you could join a guild that was at a slightly slower pace and still on that content.

My brain when I'm on TI:

Okay now I just need to kill some mobs to skin... ohwaittheresarareupfuckmisseditohshittheresanotheraaargghhcrapgotgankedhmmmaybeIshouldfarm bloodycoinsinsteadHUOLONOMGokayifhewasupIbetcinderistoogoddamnitwhywon'tthatthingdropheyma ybeifIkillsomespritesLeafmenderwillspawnGODDAMNITDROPTHEPETfuckoohIstillneedrepmaybeafarmg roupheythere'sBufoFUCKmisseditbyseconds...

*brain explodes*
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

As one of those TBC raiders... not much different from TBC, to be honest. Except it's more alt-friendly and wastes less of my time.

It isn't a very efficient way of gearing up to current tier (read non-LFR actually meaningful content), not unless you're absurdly lucky. It's a good starting base for gearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    As a TBC raider, I can assure you that, while having a few screws loose in general, my head did in fact not explode.

Sorry to disappoint. :/
    Is that a common thing to have a few screws loose? I mean I've always been told that wow players are insane.

Warrior-Magi