Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    szuuu-en. Kinda.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

I've always said Zhu-en, since I thiiiink that's how NPCs say his name.

I think I'll let Wayne and Garth handle this.

徐恩

Shu-En

http://translate.google.com/#zh-CN/e...BE%90%E6%81%A9

Hit the microphone to make google say it.

Just like how you would pronounce Ling Xiayou's name, chinese X is pronounce as a soft SH. I usually just call him Byakko, since that is who he is moddled after, as well as the others being Seiryu and Suzaku. Niuzao being the only real odd ball, as he shoulda been a turtle but there was already the giant turtle.
    Last edited by Eggowaffles; 2013-12-30 at 01:03 AM.

Deleted
    Su-enn

Chineses translations are quite stranges, sometimes "X" has to be pronounced like an S and sometimes it has to be pronounced like "Sh"

Despite the game itself pronouncing it "Gzuenn"
    Last edited by mmocafdd20634a; 2013-12-30 at 01:02 AM.

I've always pronounced it "zoo-en" in my head because that's the English pronunciation. But Chinese transliteration follows different rules (I have no idea why), so it's probably something completely different.

Is it said by any VAs in-game?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    I 100% guarantee that if you ask they guy that came up with the name, he'll tell you that it's pronounced like I already said.
    sure....

It doesn't matter that the Pandaren language is not Chinese. The name 'Xuen' is so obviously influenced by the Chinese language that it only makes sense to use its rules as a basis for pronouncing it.
    You're trying to make sense of a fantasy.... first problem. Second is trying to enforce a real world idea into a fantasy as a justification for why the real world idea has to be right.

Deleted
    I pronounce it shu-en.
    But do it however you want. There is an incredibly pretentious "guide" in the WW monk guide on how to pronounce it...but its just one persons opinion on the assumption that it should be pronounced according to a linguistic form they attribute it to. But do what you want. Until someone can produce me a real life talking panda to tell me how its done "properly" its a fictional language, you can assume its based on a real world one, but thats your assumption, does not have to make it mine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I've always pronounced it "zoo-en" in my head because that's the English pronunciation. But Chinese transliteration follows different rules (I have no idea why), so it's probably something completely different.

Is it said by any VAs in-game?
    dont trust voice actors....GW2 was a prime example. quay......you pronounce it key, like everyone on the sodding planet does, apart from the voice actor they hired....really really bugs me.
    Last edited by mmoc37d54b0df8; 2013-12-30 at 01:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me it always was "Who-en" . Can't really be bothered to pronounced it differently .
    I come across a quiet river, that wonders through the trees.
    I stare into its running waters and fall unto my knees.
    In resignation to the forest, that's held me for so long.
    I close my eyes and drift away into nature's evensong.

Su-en.

Like...it is.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    but who's to say that THAT is what the in game pronunciation is? Unless we have a verbal recording or some developer backing the notion we can't say whether or not that THAT is the 'correct' way to say it.

Just because the expansion looks chinese and we think it feels chinese... doesn't mean it's in game chinese.

edit:

yes I'm knit picking over when you said "The correct pronunciation"
    It's the "correct pronunciation" because the in-game NPCs also pronounce it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    In Chinese it is written 雪怒 (Xuěnù), which translates into English as "Snowfury."

You can put the hanzi characters into google translate and click the listen button to hear the pronunciation.
    And this.

I pronounce it as Sue-en.
    Retired WOW player
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy 14

I've done X-shuu-en all of the time :P

Deleted
    Hmmm I'd say kinda of it's spelled: xuu-enn xD
    It's probably Su-en in english?!

Zwehn

10char
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do." --Oscar Gamble 79 Yankees

zoon!.. shoe when sounds so.. asian lol. but derpcat is very popular too.. and ordos is fire cow or fire n-- depending on what he drops either boxes of gold or loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Makes you wonder why an english company in their english game uses such an uneccesarily akward method for transcribing the names of their characters.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigrifid View Post
    I pronounce it ξουεν
    Ancient greek or modern? I sadly use the - as I now know - wrong one, Xou-en.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2013-12-30 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Makes you wonder why an english company in their english game uses such an uneccesarily akward method for transcribing the names of their characters.
    If you really want to get technical, Blizz/Activision was owned by a French company (Vivendi) when MoP was made, so your ignorance is showing.

Xuen is a piece of cake in terms of pronunciation difficulty anyways.

How do you pronounce Y'Shaarj?

10+ Year Old Account
    Zoo-en. Always how I pronounced it, thought Emperor Shao-Hao pronounced it that way too.