Page 22 of 62 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    Somebody could come along and make you open that safe. You should open up an insurance firm for banks, you'd make a fortune.
    So its better that they come along and just take his weapon anyway as there would be no safe? Im not grasping the logic at play here.

Statistics speak both for and against gun control.

For: Your gun is several hundred percent more likely harm a family member or a friend than an intruder. If you pull a gun on an intruder you are more likely to die than if you don't. Guns escalate far more problems than they solve.

Add to this the psychological trauma that comes with killing someone, even an intruder. You can sit on a forum and yap about how it is your right and bla bla bla but in reality your life will never be the same again.

Against: Canadians have slightly more fire arms per capita than Americans and their gun related violence is in line with most of western Europe and far below the US.

Deleted
    Somebody could come along and make you open that safe. You should open up an insurance firm for banks, you'd make a fortune.
    You are assuming 3 things.....

1, They know I have a safe.
    2, They know where it is.
    3, They can break in without me hearing and get the drop on me.

Who the fuck are these mythical assassins?

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    He is arguing for proper gun storage, using his ability to open a safe at 10 seconds, as justification for regulation on gun owners.
    But when will you ever need to have your gun within 10 sec? Someone breaks in? Either they go for you or they go for your stuff. If they go for you, they will have a way of neutralizing you that is better than you have for stopping them (because they will know who you are, the basics of your defensive meassures and will have thought out how to deal with you, because they have prepared properly), or they go for your stuff (which means they won't be in your room 10 sec after entering the premesis). They will wake you up by either breaking down your door or some window. This is the point where you're supposed to wake up, and from that moment, you probably have a minute or two before they're actually in your room and properly oriented enough to aim a gun or a knife at your face (because they're not a properly trained hit squad aiming to kill you). In this time you should have more than enough time to roll out of your bed (which will disorient them even more), punch in the 8digit code on your safe, pull out your already armed gun and turn around, waiting for them to open the door from your halfway safe position behind your bed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    How many people have died from full automatic gunfire in this country in the past 20 years? Ak-47 and sub-machine guns can all be made semi-automatic, and I would bet those outfit members have semi autos. Until recently all automatic weapons had to have been manufactured before 1993, so there was a fixed supply of them and they were really expensive.

But lets go with your crowded hallway example. I think 8 rounds of buckshot in a shotgun would be more deadly than 30 rounds of automatic ak-47 fire. Not to mention that the majority of automatic weapons are illegally owned and obtained now, the current heavy restrictions on automatic guns are no more effective at stopping people that want them than a drug law is at preventing people from getting high.
    Still haven't seen a decent argument on why people who haven't been trained to do a certain job need to have firearms in their house. Even if trained, why the fuck does someone want to own a firearm in their house? Are your countries/cities so unsafe? And if so, don't you think it's time to invest in more prevention insted of more countermeasures?

That shit is good... You have problems...
    Are we talking about his early Hong Kong career or his dreadful Hollywood films?

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    So its impossible to shoot to disable someone instead and call the police?
    Shooting to disable is a really bad idea, if you have a gun for home defence then in the rare event that you have to use it, it's to threaten not to shoot with. And if you do need to shoot, there's every chance you'll kill what you're shooting at. Guns don't work like in the movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    As I say in every one of these threads, I'd remove all gun regulation, but tie liability of crimes related to guns to their manufacturing and sellers. Attach a massive financial liability to the industry that profits on the products and let them figure out what requirements or regulations they have. I'm willing to bet you would need to buy gun insurance, as soon as that happens... I would love to see a preexisting condition determined by insurance, that inhibits gun ownership... Crazy runs in the family?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Can you type on a keyboard with proficiency?
    WHOA. I can do it without looking. What is this sorcery?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/spike-in-mass-...132625638.html

I know this is a Yahoo story, but w/e. I found the information in it pretty compelling to the idea of employing people in schools (and other public places) whose sole job is to react to a violent incident. I already know the gun control arguments are against putting more guns in schools, whether it's arming teachers or having armed security, but the numbers seem to support the idea of first responders being on campus already in the event of an incident.

Thoughts?
    Essentially, either let's have armed "guards" (cops) in every street corner and every doorway, or just stop handing out guns like Halloween candy to every friggin lunatic who wants to buy one.

Personally, I think the second option is more in line with liberty and sanity, but I hear NRA and their Republican puppets object, so I guess it will have to be the cops-everywhere solution.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post

I'm one of them, but I'm not supposed to tell you our secrets. Fight club rules n stuff...

As I say in every one of these threads, I'd remove all gun regulation, but tie liability of crimes related to guns to their manufacturing and sellers. Attach a massive financial liability to the industry that profits on the products and let them figure out what requirements or regulations they have. I'm willing to bet you would need to buy gun insurance, as soon as that happens... I would love to see a preexisting condition determined by insurance, that inhibits gun ownership... Crazy runs in the family?
    I basically like this. Then again, I think the solution to most problems is thinking more like an economist. A good produces negative externalities? OK, make, the purchasers of that good pay for the externalities.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Still haven't seen a decent argument on why people who haven't been trained to do a certain job need to have firearms in their house. Even if trained, why the fuck does someone want to own a firearm in their house? Are your countries/cities so unsafe? And if so, don't you think it's time to invest in more prevention insted of more countermeasures?
    2nd amendment of the US constitution. Some people don't trust the police or government to protect them and to protect their country in the event that their government becomes tyrannical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Are we talking about his early Hong Kong career or his dreadful Hollywood films?
    Before face off... I said good shit, that question did not need to be asked... 'Hard boiled', the 'killer'...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bregtann View Post
    Essentially, either let's have armed "guards" (cops) in every street corner and every doorway, or just stop handing out guns like Halloween candy to every friggin lunatic who wants to buy one.

Personally, I think the second option is more in line with liberty and sanity, but I hear NRA and their Republican puppets object, so I guess it will have to be the cops-everywhere solution.
    Atleast it creates jobs and will also cut down earths population a bit as I'm guessing these guards will cause more accidents then they will prevent. Atleast if they are trained by the same retards who train US cops.

According to the Wikipedia page, the US has had 77 deaths as a result of a school shooting since 2010. This includes the shooter themselves and is inflated by the 28 of Sandy Hook. Most of them end in none or shooters only death and a few injuries. This is a very miniscule problem that effects a VERY VERY miniscule amount of the population of the US. Intending to ban guns for such a small problem is ridiculous.

And for the love of Buddha, please don't ever give a teacher or student a weapon and expect them to keep a school safe. Teachers are fucked up enough as it is. All it will take is one to snap cause she got jewed out of her pension before she decides to shoot up the entire school as recompense.

School shooting is a problem without a real cause and without a real solution. All we can really do is institute and practice safety and lock down procedures in the event someone does show up with a gun. My 8 year old daughters school already does this.

And for the hopefully the last time ; Banning or restricting guns will do very little to stop school shootings in America. If someone wants to do it bad enough, they will find a way.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post

Those three things aren't so unreasonable that you wouldn't have to take them into account as potential contingencies. It's not like we're talking about aliens beaming it up to the mother ship or something. In fact, one of the main ways that criminals get their weapons in the first place is by stealing them from people who thought they were being responsible.

Or are you just so bothered that somebody raised an objection to your argument that you can't even fathom a situation in which it might fail?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    2nd amendment of the US constitution. Some people don't trust the police or government to protect them and to protect their country in the event that their government becomes tyrannical.
    That's not a decent argument, I already knew it was legal...I want to know a sane reasoning, not something made up by some hillbilly 100 years ago.

So when someone drinks and crashes their car they can sue the alcohol company, the bar, the car company, all the manufacturers that make the parts in the car and all the while have zero personal responsibility.

Deleted
    Those three things aren't so unreasonable that you wouldn't have to take them into account as potential contingencies. It's not like we're talking about aliens beaming it up to the mother ship or something. In fact, one of the main ways that criminals get their weapons in the first place is by stealing them from people who thought they were being responsible.

Or are you just so bothered that somebody raised an objection to your argument that you can't even fathom a situation in which it might fail?
    Most illegal weapons are stolen from legit owners in burglaries, you bringing cutting equipment with you when you burgle?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I basically like this. Then again, I think the solution to most problems is thinking more like an economist. A good produces negative externalities? OK, make, the purchasers of that good pay for the externalities.
    I think rules they would put in place would be harsher than anything the government could pass, while waving the 'no regulation' flag...