Page 1 of 3
LastLast

So what exactly is this game?

So I've recently highly got into any MMORPG that I could find starting with Guild Wars 2,now although this game is great it lacked the addicted feeling that would put you to sleep at night looking forward to the coming day to play it again. I've heard about WoW ever since it came out but never bothered to look into it,a few of my friends played it but that's as bout as much information I got about it. So I'm deciding about this game at the moment, so could you please tell me what exactly stands this game out from the rest? What does it offer? A big issue I'm having deciding about this game is that in my currency it's $20 a month and to buy all the expansions from the very beginning is a daunting idea. Can you play just on the first couple of expansions? Another issue is the fact that I'm hearing everywhere that WoW has failed and everyone is leaving it? Also watching gameplay videos it seems that there are heaps of abilities per class (always good) but so much that it crams the screen and remembering every keybinded button is a scary thought. Thanks in advance!
    Editoes this game have the addiction that makes a game good? Even post game would you be "Grinding" to get a skin or rare item?

Everyone is always saying WoW is dying. You would have to buy the battle chest and any expansions not included. You just missed a really great time to have done this since every holiday season they have a big sale. Just watch youtube videos. Best way for you to really get a feel for what it has.

Oh yeah. You dont have to buy them all at once. You do have to buy the next expansion to move into the next expansions content. IE if you buy cataclysm you will be stuck at level 85 until you buy MoP. You must get all of the previous versions though. Cant just skip to MoP.

Basicly, wow is as close as a MMO that is perfect, DEPENDING on what you are willing to do for it.

Get into a propor raiding guild, or a guild you like and it will be much better. If you just play online, it can almost feel like a single player RPG cause off all the years of dumbing down the game to the casual masses.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

So when you buy the battle .net digital download of WoW for $20 USD you get all expansions excluding Pandaria?

you can play for free up to level 20 and wont need another xpac til mop if you decide to buy the battle chest and play with a sub. yes there are a lot of abilitys to remember. . .shit theres TONS of info to learn but if you dont enjoy you wont have to buy or learn anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protagenic View Post
    So when you buy the battle .net digital download of WoW for $20 USD you get all expansions excluding Pandaria?
    As far as I am aware, yes, you get all of the expansions except for Pandaria.

But don't do that just yet. Try out the starter edition. Level 1 - 20, free. Get a feel for the game.

easy way to test this. Download the free trial version of the game. It lets you level to 20. See if you personally feel as if you want to go further. Therefor it will test if you have become addicted

Deleted
    yes, that and 1 month of gametime.
    so you can level till 85 and have one month to see if you like it.

battle.net asks you to add a subscritpion after buying the battlechest, but you dont need to do that.
    you can buy gametime direct in form of gametimecards in stores, at the battle.net store if you dont like to set up an abo

But seriously $25 a month!!
    That's a stopper.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a stopper.
    It's not $25 a month. It's $15.99 + tax.

25? Its 15, or what country you live inn.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

As much as we could tell you what's to like about the game, the best is indeed as Dars said, play the trial and see what you think. Not all features are included in the trial though, but you can get a basic feel for the game and try out a few different classes to see what you like.
    Hope you enjoy it mate.
    Let us know what server you end up on after the trial and you might just find someone nice enough on here to invite you to guild
    Warriors in PvP are like small hyperactive children in a candy shop made of bouncy castle.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a stopper.
    / 15$/month

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    25? Its 15, or what country you live inn.
    I live in New Zealand.
    And it's $25 here..

That's a stopper.
    well i mean if you can't afford it then that answers all your questions i think to be honest. Millions of people enjoy the game enough to spend the money, thats what we can tell you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I live in New Zealand.
    And it's $25 here..
    If it's too much then it just is too much. I'm sorry. Still, try it out and see if you like it. If you do you can try to find the cash to play it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't bother... the glory days of WoW have faded... if you like to put in effort, grind and want to see your accomplishments, the old WoW would be amazing for you. You can download private servers of the older versions of WoW... I'd say anything from vanilla, TBC and Wotlk would be good. The current WoW doesn't resemble what made WoW so amazing... before cataclysm, if I met someone who wanted to know something about WoW, i'd tell them everything including how amazing the game is. But cataclysm just flipped things upside down, and it's not like it happened all at once, the game was taken slow turns near the end of TBC and all throughout Wotlk, they added piece of piece until catalcysm hit and they released the new model of WoW. The current WoW isn't based around putting hours of your time into something to get a reward... the game is about how much stuff you can do in an hour. There are way too many features that don't even relate to the game, but that's because blizzard is focusing on short term features that can help keep casual numbers stable.

IMO you should avoid this game and if you want, you can watch it become f2p or shut down when the sub numbers drop within the next couple years. They had an amazing game... it's why you always heard about it when it was fresh... that whole "i can't sleep, i can't work, I just want to play WoW" happened all the time prior to the changes they made for cataclysm. Cross-realm features were unique at first, but just like the other cheap features they add, they were only added to please the casuals. Any hardcore player already had guildies or a good community on their realm to go to if they wanted to do a heroic or some group event... but now that cross realm features are all over the place, realm communities have gone to shit since no one cares about each other... there's no risk of being blacklisted when you ninja loot or act like a jackass in a raid/heroic. You might get a timeout if you get kicked, but then you're right back in another one and no one knows who you are. I found it funny when they said WoD would be the new expansion... a large portion of the player base was annoyed that there was no new features or or new races/classes... that's because everysingle one of those idiots don't know why WoW is going downhill but still defend it as if it's still competing for MMO of the year. class diversity is at an all time low considering there's not a single ability in the game that's not atleast 75% the same as another. The current playerbase isn't full of mmorpg fans, it's full of people who are addicted to WoW lore, people who built friends in the game but won't quit because they don't know what to do socially if they do quit, people who got into the game when wotlk hit so they're just used to what WoW became... If you think you fall into the hardcore/challenging type of players, I wouldn't buy WoW, but if you think you're more of a casual who enjoys cheap features and easy ass raids, then the game might be for you, but you mentioned putting in hard work/grinding and being rewarded... that aspect of the game is long gone, atleast in PvP and PvE... guess you could find it in a stupid feature, but then you'd be playing world of features rather than the actual game which is PvE and PvP.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    Don't bother... the glory days of WoW have faded... if you like to put in effort, grind and want to see your accomplishments, the old WoW would be amazing for you. You can download private servers of the older versions of WoW... I'd say anything from vanilla, TBC and Wotlk would be good. The current WoW doesn't resemble what made WoW so amazing... before cataclysm, if I met someone who wanted to know something about WoW, i'd tell them everything including how amazing the game is. But cataclysm just flipped things upside down, and it's not like it happened all at once, the game was taken slow turns near the end of TBC and all throughout Wotlk, they added piece of piece until catalcysm hit and they released the new model of WoW. The current WoW isn't based around putting hours of your time into something to get a reward... the game is about how much stuff you can do in an hour. There are way too many features that don't even relate to the game, but that's because blizzard is focusing on short term features that can help keep casual numbers stable.

IMO you should avoid this game and if you want, you can watch it become f2p or shut down when the sub numbers drop within the next couple years. They had an amazing game... it's why you always heard about it when it was fresh... that whole "i can't sleep, i can't work, I just want to play WoW" happened all the time prior to the changes they made for cataclysm. Cross-realm features were unique at first, but just like the other cheap features they add, they were only added to please the casuals. Any hardcore player already had guildies or a good community on their realm to go to if they wanted to do a heroic or some group event... but now that cross realm features are all over the place, realm communities have gone to shit since no one cares about each other... there's no risk of being blacklisted when you ninja loot or act like a jackass in a raid/heroic. You might get a timeout if you get kicked, but then you're right back in another one and no one knows who you are. I found it funny when they said WoD would be the new expansion... a large portion of the player base was annoyed that there was no new features or or new races/classes... that's because everysingle one of those idiots don't know why WoW is going downhill but still defend it as if it's still competing for MMO of the year. class diversity is at an all time low considering there's not a single ability in the game that's not atleast 75% the same as another. The current playerbase isn't full of mmorpg fans, it's full of people who are addicted to WoW lore, people who built friends in the game but won't quit because they don't know what to do socially if they do quit, people who got into the game when wotlk hit so they're just used to what WoW became... If you think you fall into the hardcore/challenging type of players, I wouldn't buy WoW, but if you think you're more of a casual who enjoys cheap features and easy ass raids, then the game might be for you, but you mentioned putting in hard work/grinding and being rewarded... that aspect of the game is long gone, atleast in PvP and PvE... guess you could find it in a stupid feature, but then you'd be playing world of features rather than the actual game which is PvE and PvP.
    I was wondering when the owner of the OP's account would log onto his main one......seems to me he set this up just so he could make a wow is dying thread lol....was waiting for this since i first read the post lol

Was a pretty obvious setup

I live in New Zealand.
    And it's $25 here..
    Yeah, I thought you must be in New Zealand.

I'm a kiwi too, and I find it actually varies according to the currency exchange rate. My last sub charge on my credit card was actually $18.69 after the exchange. In previous months it's been as low as $17.99 or up to $19.50.

You can pay for longer periods, like 3 months or 6 months, which works out slightly cheaper overall, but means you make bigger payments at a time, rather than a smaller payment once a month.

I can't say I would recommend buying a gametime card here in New Zealand. A 2-month card from JB Hi-Fi is about $47, which is more than two months of actual sub charge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pallyopness View Post
    I was wondering when the owner of the OP's account would log onto his main one......seems to me he set this up just so he could make a wow is dying thread lol....was waiting for this since i first read the post lol

Was a pretty obvious setup
    First off, screw off you assumption loser. I have my own opinion which has valid reasons. I'm sorry my post reminded you of how god awful WoW has become that you had to accuse me of making a fake account. Idk who started it, but if they wanted to get into this game, i'd say the same thing over and over and over. WoW was amazing because PvP and PvE were always solid... that wasn't the case when cataclysm hit... their class balancing was horrible... every damn patch there was constant changes to almost every ability. You might think the game is still amazing... but not only do I have facts to back up my opinion, but when's the last time you saw WoW winning awards? It used to win awards in TBC/Wotlk... back when PvE and PvP were consistent and not unbalanced... so why is it they lose sub numbers and stop winning awards as soon as PvP and PvE aren't both amazing? I'll let you use your noodle to figure out the last 1% of that equation.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2014-01-03 at 09:11 PM.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.