Thread: NCAA football

Quote Originally Posted by Alkaholic View Post
    2 loss team ranked higher than 1 loss team. Brilliant system.
    if the winner of the NCG is the #1 team in the country then the #2 team has to be the team that lost. It only makes sense and to think otherwise means the ranking system is flawed and should be gotten rid of totally.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    if the winner of the NCG is the #1 team in the country then the #2 team has to be the team that lost. It only makes sense and to think otherwise means the ranking system is flawed and should be gotten rid of totally.
    lets take a look.
    auburn beat georgia on a flukey play.
    auburn beat alabama on a flukey play.
    auburn lost to FSU after having an 18 point lead.

i'd say that warrants getting knocked down a peg.

- - - Updated - - -

as for the whole oh they were number 2 and lost to a number 1, in that case, why does (in theory) number 5 go down after losing to number 3? etc. etc etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree. I would put MSU at number 2 over Auburn. They would probably drop to 4 below South Carolina, maybe even Missouri and Oklahoma since they won the bowl games.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I agree. I would put MSU at number 2 over Auburn. They would probably drop to 4 below South Carolina, maybe even Missouri and Oklahoma since they won the bowl games.
    normally i'd be fine with leaving them there, but the fact is, two of auburn's wins came on fluke plays and they blew a HUGE lead.

Notre Dame goes in as #1 last season, gets mauled by the Tide, and ended up where, 7 or 8? Justifiable, just as Auburn not being 2 still could be justified.

But honestly, if you don't end the season #1, who cares. :P

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    The Big 10 is pathetic. The ACC is not. The Big 10 won 2 bowl games. The ACC won 2 BCS games alone. Your hatred for the SEC has led you to make some extremely outlandish comments.

You also think that MSU could handle either of them, which is just silly. Both Auburn and FSU would light MSU up, and MSU could not put up 20 points on either of them.

It is basketball season now and hockey is on the way. I hope that you are a more informed fan of those two sports because the Big 10 actually does quite well in them.

Great game and a really entertaining bowl season. Can't wait for next season.
    Please quote me where I said MSU could handle them. You seem to be confusing me with another poster.

So Clemson beating Ohio St. by 5 and LSU beating Iowa by 7 is proof of how pathetic the Big 10 is and how dominant the ACC/SEC are? Is that what you are saying?

Quote Originally Posted by Kazgrel View Post
    Best statement yet...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    normally i'd be fine with leaving them there, but the fact is, two of auburn's wins came on fluke plays and they blew a HUGE lead.
    Yeah. Part of the reason I was never sold on Auburn in the first place. I'd venture that Missouri would have had a better chance against FSU. Auburn had a terrible defense and a quarterback that throws a lot of picks.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. Part of the reason I was never sold on Auburn in the first place. I'd venture that Missouri would have had a better chance against FSU. Auburn had a terrible defense and a quarterback that throws a lot of picks.
    honestly i would love to see what Michigan State could do to Florida State.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    honestly i would love to see what Michigan State could do to Florida State.
    Me too, but I didn't really know about MSU until their conference title game. They were the most impressive team to me outside of FSU this year. ....Maybe Baylor, but they lost their bowl game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    >dailymail

It's the main tabloid of the UK
    That's an insult to tabloids. It's a festering rag of bile and shit.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazgrel View Post
    which is why they need to get rid of rankings. They dont prove anything and just lead to a lot of butt hurt. Just get rid of rankings. They serve absolutely no purpose other than to piss people off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Me too, but I didn't really know about MSU until their conference title game. They were the most impressive team to me outside of FSU this year. ....Maybe Baylor, but they lost their bowl game.
    How impressed were you when they lost to Notre Dame? I would love to see what they would have done with FSU too just so that a few of you could see just how poorly they would have fared. I was not impressed by Stanford and their loss to Utah, so I guess I do not really see the Rose bowl winner as very strong. Especially seeing how poorly the Big 10 did overall in bowl games. I realize that Stanford beat them, but I would have been more impressed by MSU if they beat Oregon instead.

SEC is 4 of top 7 teams in AP's final rankings. I can understand why you all are so sick of rankings. They are not going anywhere though. Ranking will be even more important next year to get into the playoffs, just different people doing the rankings.

Enjoyed the season. Looking forward to next. Would not be surprised at all to see a repeat of this year's title game.
    Last edited by Roose; 2014-01-08 at 01:10 AM.
    I like sandwiches

I can understand why you all are so sick of rankings. They are not going anywhere though. Ranking will be even more important next year to get into the playoffs, just different people doing the rankings.
    why do they need rankings? Winnners of the ACC, Pac-12, Big 10, and SEC championship games are in. Then have 2 wild card teams that can be from any conference. If one conference is really strong then its possible they could have 3 teams in the play offs. Those two teams are chosen by a small committee representing every conference so there is no bias. Thats when they look at stuff like number of losses vs strength of schedule. But win and your in should be used for the first 4 seeds. Sure you will have some years where the conference is down and they just got a free ride into the play offs but thats the same way it is in the NFL. Sure every now and then a team with a worse record gets in but its not often. Thats why you have those wild card teams to reward stronger conferences. If one year the Big 10 is very weak then they wont get 2 teams in. If the SEC or Pac 12 are very strong they could have 3 teams in.

15+ Year Old Account
    How impressed were you when they lost to Notre Dame? I would love to see what they would have done with FSU too just so that a few of you could see just how poorly they would have fared. I was not impressed by Stanford and their loss to Utah, so I guess I do not really see the Rose bowl winner as very strong. Especially seeing how poorly the Big 10 did overall in bowl games. I realize that Stanford beat them, but I would have been more impressed by MSU if they beat Oregon instead.

SEC is 4 of top 7 teams in AP's final rankings. I can understand why you all are so sick of rankings. They are not going anywhere though. Ranking will be even more important next year to get into the playoffs, just different people doing the rankings.

Enjoyed the season. Looking forward to next. Would not be surprised at all to see a repeat of this year's title game.
    you keep getting hung up on that Notre Dame loss. let me put that loss into perspective.

it was on the road.
    the referees made two blatently bad calls that they apologized for later (ND got 14 points off these).
    Michigan State was still working out the kinks in its offense. (it was connor cooks first career start).

lets play MSU vs ND today and see who wins

- - - Updated - - -

and guess what. Stanford beat Oregon. but hey don't worry. you get your wish. September 13th. MSU @ Oregon.

and sick of rankings? i'm sick of rankings because an SEC team that just had 2 fluke wins and a blown 18 point lead loss didn't go down at all. that's bull right there.

i would love to see MSU play FSU just so we could anihilate them (for the record, if Auburns rank 88 in the nation defense could hold them to 35 points, i'd love to see what MSU could do to them), but then you guys would only say "well FSU was clearly overrated, MSU hasn't played anyone." personally. i watched the Championship game and i was NOT impressed by either team. when you total 24 points of offense in 5 minutes, something is wrong.

Don't worry. keep hating. we've heard it all year.
    we weren't supposed to beat michigan. we did.
    we weren't supposed to beat nebraska. we did.
    we weren't supposed to win our division. we did.
    we weren't supposed to beat ohio state. we did.
    we weren't supposed to beat stanford. we did.

keep hating. it only fuels the team.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    why do they need rankings? Winnners of the ACC, Pac-12, Big 10, and SEC championship games are in. Then have 2 wild card teams that can be from any conference. If one conference is really strong then its possible they could have 3 teams in the play offs. Those two teams are chosen by a small committee representing every conference so there is no bias. Thats when they look at stuff like number of losses vs strength of schedule. But win and your in should be used for the first 4 seeds. Sure you will have some years where the conference is down and they just got a free ride into the play offs but thats the same way it is in the NFL. Sure every now and then a team with a worse record gets in but its not often. Thats why you have those wild card teams to reward stronger conferences. If one year the Big 10 is very weak then they wont get 2 teams in. If the SEC or Pac 12 are very strong they could have 3 teams in.
    why is the big 12 left on an island?

system should be:
    8 team playoffs.
    SEC/ACC/Big 12/Big 10/Pac 12 Winners in.
    3 Wild Cards.
    Last edited by AceofHarts; 2014-01-08 at 01:23 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I can't comprehend how anyone can cheer for their conference rivals, or an entire conference in general.

I'd die before I rooted for OSU, Michigan, or Wisconsin. Michigan State only team I can stomach because Dantonio is the GOAT

Since FSU is the champs can the ACC start using the same reasoning the SEC gets to use?
    ACC team loses to an ACC team. Quality loss. ACC is soo tough top to bottom that they beat up on each other.
    ACC team loses to a non-ACC team. Playing a ACC team is the other teams super bowl. The ACC team's players have a hard time getting up for non-ACC games.
    ACC team loses a bowl game. It wasn't the national championship so they didn't want to be there.

I'm really tired of the quality loss. Looking at you A&M on this one. I'm also tired of as soon as a non-SEC team loses a game they are now considered exposed and overrated.
    Last edited by gismo7354; 2014-01-08 at 01:25 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    I can't comprehend how anyone can cheer for their conference rivals, or an entire conference in general.

I'd die before I rooted for OSU, Michigan, or Wisconsin. Michigan State only team I can stomach because Dantonio is the GOAT
    the only time i root for any conference team is when they play Michigan.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gismo7354 View Post
    Since FSU is the champs can the ACC start using the same reasoning the SEC gets to use?
    ACC team loses to an ACC team. Quality loss. ACC is soo tough top to bottom that they beat up on each other.
    ACC team loses to a non-ACC team. Playing a ACC team is the other teams super bowl. The ACC team's players have a hard time getting up for non-ACC games.
    ACC team loses a bowl game. It wasn't the national championship so they didn't want to be there.

I'm really tire of the quality loss. Looking at you A&M on this one. I'm also tired of as soon as a non-SEC team loses a game they are now considered exposed and overrated.
    i feel your pain man. michigan state has been getting nothing but disrespect all year long.

It's pretty obvious u didn't see the game cause u keep bringing it up the Notre Dame game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRbTQPEjR68

2/5 the first and the 4th are PI. The other 3 are bullshit calls.

Outside of that, who really cares about the the number of teams in at the end or beginning of the season? Neither MSU or Auburn were ranked until week 8.

Also, u keep jerking off about SEC, what about ur team. MSU is ranked higher than Alabama. How bout u focus on those 2 loses at the end of the season and not the B1G or any other conference.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkaholic View Post
    It's pretty obvious u didn't see the game cause u keep bringing it up the Notre Dame game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRbTQPEjR68

2/5 the first and the 4th are PI. The other 3 are bullshit calls.

Outside of that, who really cares about the the number of teams in at the end or beginning of the season? Neither MSU or Auburn were ranked until week 8.

Also, u keep jerking off about SEC, what about ur team. MSU is ranked higher than Alabama. How bout u focus on those 2 loses at the end of the season and not the B1G or any other conference.
    thank you. bet his sec homer glasses won't allow him to see that though.