Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I regret getting involved in betas and the hype and totally working myself up for what was eventually the biggest let down of my gaming history.
    I was the opposite, actually. I had zero interest in GW2 and wasn't buying into any of the hype. Once I finally played it, it turned out to be a pleasant surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by zed zebes View Post
    I've got 3000 hours in it and still playing. I never lost connection. There's a certain type of MMO player that will use up the game and leave, but considering the high quality of the game and the flow of content, there's no real reason to lose connection.
    Eh. I also have 3k hours, but their "flow of content" is not what's kept me playing. I have disliked everything about the LS for the most part.

Unfortunately, since I've done nearly everything I wanted to do now, and Anet is not adding anything more of what I like to do, GW2's running on fumes. I'm basically waiting for Q2's MMO releases to do something different.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

if you want to play something else, does it have to be an mmo?

GW2 is the only mmo I currently play and has been for a while now. I used to play multiple mmos but I've gotten tired of the same type of gameplay that the majority of them have. Nowadays the only other games I play besides this one are single player and multi player games (right now I've been on a Borderlands 2 kick).

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    if you want to play something else, does it have to be an mmo?

GW2 is the only mmo I currently play and has been for a while now. I used to play multiple mmos but I've gotten tired of the same type of gameplay that the majority of them have. Nowadays the only other games I play besides this one are single player and multi player games (right now I've been on a Borderlands 2 kick).
    Part of my problem is that I like to wander the internet while playing things, so MMO's have been my mainstay for a while.

WoW is one of the few that lets me play maximised window, I think TOR also. I play GW2 in windowed mode pulled to the edges of the screen, but it's not the same.

Many games can be played while doing other tasks/things online or whathaveyou.

I do it all the time with SP and MP games. Not just MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Many games can be played while doing other tasks/things online or whathaveyou.

I do it all the time with SP and MP games. Not just MMOs.
    My TV/Xbox is over there <<, so I can't access the desktop and my laptop is old. Most computer games I would play full screen, don't like pausing, that sort of thing.

You're right, of course, but of the games I like to play in the style I like to play it, MMO's lend themselves to a main long-term thing, vs gunning down crowds on my xbox.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zed zebes View Post
    I've got 3000 hours in it and still playing. I never lost connection. There's a certain type of MMO player that will use up the game and leave, but considering the high quality of the game and the flow of content, there's no real reason to lose connection.
    Of course there is. The content at end game is lacking massively. What little of it there is, is extremely grindy, and a lot of people do not like that. Grinding out crafting takes a lot of gold and a lot of time, things like low level wood is really expensive for new players as it's used for crafting higher level gear, so you are almost forced to go out and farm it, which even using your mats optimally, you'll require 200-400 wood to level just 1 crafting profession. For a new player, or even a fresh level 80, this is a lot of time investment. A lot of players will feel forced to craft high level gear, the whole point of an MMORPG is to progress to the best possible level, so having ascendance armour and a legendary weapon is not a choice.

Just seeing how much is needed to craft this gear will instantly put a lot of people off. A ton of grinding, time investment (100% world completion etc), a ton of gold which could be put under time investment because it takes so long to get. Unfair comparison but you can put a few hours a week into raiding in WoW and get some pretty good gear which you can then use to get into heroics and progress in the game. With GW2, dungeon gear is far more then is needed to actually do them, and fractals even if you are doing the hardest difficulty, is easily done with dungeon gear, what motivation is there to really do it? I might be contradicting myself via the 1st paragraph, but I raid hardcore, I strive to have the best, but since this is more aimed at the "do what you want" style of gameplay, it doesn't serve for some very interesting end-game.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    My TV/Xbox is over there <<, so I can't access the desktop and my laptop is old. Most computer games I would play full screen, don't like pausing, that sort of thing.

You're right, of course, but of the games I like to play in the style I like to play it, MMO's lend themselves to a main long-term thing, vs gunning down crowds on my xbox.
    Fair enough. Though I play windowed fullscreen or window maximized, using the second monitor for movies/internet while playing.

I almost never play games without a movie, my browser and skype up at the same time. Dual 32 inch displays + laptop + phone. Only way to live/game. One day I will be sucked into the internet itself.

This is off-topic, forgive. I just felt it might be a shame to miss out on lots of good content due to screen format or whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

The content at end game is lacking massively.
    There is no endgame in any of the Guild Wars games. Also all content in GW2 does not diminish at maximum character level.

So it can not be factually true in any sense. It would be impossible for there to be less content at maximum character level in the game, and there is no endgame in the franchise. Of course.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-01-09 at 02:21 AM.

Personally I couldn't replace WoW with GW2. I see GW2 as more of my do whatever I want at the time game, which is usually pvp. Since I raid on WoW I'd need a bit more I think. But I guess it depends what you do whilst you play WoW.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    GW2 is well worth the purchase price. Buy it OP, you can get as much and maybe a ton more play time than other RPG's. Yeah, it lacks the end game content to the extent of raids and gear progression from those like most other MMO's have, but just playing it solo and doing the story quests makes it worth the price. After you finish that and are still having fun, it is extra icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
    Of course there is. The content at end game is lacking massively. What little of it there is, is extremely grindy, and a lot of people do not like that. Grinding out crafting takes a lot of gold and a lot of time, things like low level wood is really expensive for new players as it's used for crafting higher level gear, so you are almost forced to go out and farm it, which even using your mats optimally, you'll require 200-400 wood to level just 1 crafting profession. For a new player, or even a fresh level 80, this is a lot of time investment. A lot of players will feel forced to craft high level gear, the whole point of an MMORPG is to progress to the best possible level, so having ascendance armour and a legendary weapon is not a choice.

Just seeing how much is needed to craft this gear will instantly put a lot of people off. A ton of grinding, time investment (100% world completion etc), a ton of gold which could be put under time investment because it takes so long to get. Unfair comparison but you can put a few hours a week into raiding in WoW and get some pretty good gear which you can then use to get into heroics and progress in the game. With GW2, dungeon gear is far more then is needed to actually do them, and fractals even if you are doing the hardest difficulty, is easily done with dungeon gear, what motivation is there to really do it? I might be contradicting myself via the 1st paragraph, but I raid hardcore, I strive to have the best, but since this is more aimed at the "do what you want" style of gameplay, it doesn't serve for some very interesting end-game.
    Ascended armor isn't worth the time or gold investment. I haven't really bothered with it. I might crack out two pieces and then quit. Ascended gear was a bad idea and poorly done, but it's not needed to see new content like tiered gear is within raiding. You will need it for higher fractals, but beyond that it's merit is limited. Even within WvWvW, most feel the cost return for stats is pretty weak for Ascended armor pieces.

That leaves exotics, which are easily attainable.

The term end-game is the real issue. Fencers will tell you people mean bi-modal game design when they use the word. I believe people mean "what is there to do at max level". I've been max level since the first or second month. I've had plenty to do and when I don't have things to do, I take a break for some days or a week. Since content of varying degrees remains relevant, I don't worry about logging in and drawing a blank as to why I'm here. Not every LS update interests me, but the frequency of them makes that less of an issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Part of my problem is that I like to wander the internet while playing things, so MMO's have been my mainstay for a while.

WoW is one of the few that lets me play maximised window, I think TOR also. I play GW2 in windowed mode pulled to the edges of the screen, but it's not the same.
    I'm getting my dual screen set up at the end of the month, will make a big difference to those waits for DC's etc.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    U WILL remember this if u buy this game : u will play it for 1 week , and u will get boring , im not a troller i just try the game and the bad thing in the game is that the character walks slowly as hell makes ur eyes feel sleepy , and the graphic is cool but the FX effect will make ur eyes sleep, the bad thing in the game is there is no like (Fast bam bam walk) like wow , this is my opinion

Hmm, a one time purchase with no sub free. The game has been on sale numerous times the last year. It offers bi-weekly content updates for free. And everything else about the game is subjective but with just the above information I would say its pretty worth it. I wish it was the industry standard for bi-weekly updates, but its not.

If you're looking for a short term diversion, it's definitely worth the money.

If you're looking for a new AAA MMO to devote yourself to long-term, look elsewhere.

Personally, I'm glad it's not the standard. Two weeks is too frequent and lends itself to providing shallow updates. I'd prefer a 6-8 week turnover with 'meatier' content.

Edit: Basically everything Bovinity said. :P
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Depends on the quality of the updates.

A few updates in GW2 have been pretty cool. Others just feel like hastily shoved-out, copypasta achievement grinds with different skins and very little meat on the bones.

At some point I find myself wishing that they'd just take a month off of churning out new candy corn/pinatas/blimps/fireworks/taffy/etc to click 200 times and work on producing something really worthwhile.
    In theory that's the purpose of the current extended break. We'll see what they can do when they take a month to set something up.

Deleted
    dont buy - wasting of money

* wvw is dead - all servers lose players
    * pve is just a GRIND for cosmetics - nothing hard and nothing need skill its just spamming spells for hours
    * pvp - most broken thing ever

Quote Originally Posted by regardoz View Post
    U WILL remember this if u buy this game : u will play it for 1 week , and u will get boring
    I am sorry to hear that you got boring. I hope this didn't cause you to lose friends. Perhaps you could learn something new to make yourself interesting again? Maybe juggling?
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Depends on the quality of the updates.

I've definetly had some "mediocre" feelings for some of the patchs, but overall they're decent. The main advantage to the 2 week cycle is that usually something else is close to ready. It's much better than waiting months for new content and then finding it mediocre, at least.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tinix View Post
    So I am starting to be bored by WoW and I am looking at other options available. I kind of like the idea of GW2 and I played during one beta weekend and liked it. However as I started to research it, I found a lot of negative opinions to this game. So is it worth the money or should I rather buy something else?
    save yourself, save your money and your future: don't buy that shit, first and only game i regret i have bought in my whole life.