Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Applying to a new guild

How come after 10 years of wow, people still have to fill in stiff boring applications that take way too long to fill in. Seriously I've put more time into applying to the last guild I joined than I had to put time into creating my CV which got me my job (accountant), does this fail to make sense to some of you?

What do you learn about someone's raiding capabilities by reading a fuckload of random shit? half the shit I write are blatant lies or stuff I copypasted from theorycrafting sites.

Why not fe. just invite them to an alt-flex guild-run and talk a bit on ts/vt during the raid? that will tell you fuckloads more about the person and show his/her raiding capabilities.

Yes, I realize I could "just" make my own raiding guild out of thin air using this method, but I'm kinda cba to be a GL/RL.

Oh yeah, anyone looking for a ranged dps? ^^

EDIT: I'm also not talking about just the elite guilds, I'm talking about your average 9/14 HC raiding guilds at this point.

cause raiding is serious business... i agree this is a retarded practice and it is completely unneeded but youll get lots of response about how necessary they are to weed out bad players etc.. ive seen the most inane questions asked in some of these apps one time they had philosiphical question like wtf am i writing a thesis here lol

Flex is not a good test of skill by any means IMO.

They do an app for screening so that they don't waste their time bringing you alon just to have you do horribly. Apps are a way for them to be able to test people without having to test every joe who asks to join.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigitybones View Post
    cause raiding is serious business... i agree this is a retarded practice and it is completely unneeded but youll get lots of response about how necessary they are to weed out bad players etc.. ive seen the most inane questions asked in some of these apps one time they had philosiphical question like wtf am i writing a thesis here lol
    Team activities are serious if the team takes the activity seriously. These guilds are hardcore progression not flex 1/2 pug raiders

Honestly, having tons of questions is a complete joke. Rather you prove it through logs, since you can pick and choose whichs one you would really want to share with the guild you're applying too.

im sorry op but thats just like asking why do we have to wright a cv to be sent to enmployers and send it for every job you apply to its the smae concept with guilds, as giscoious said its for screening just like if you were applying for a job be4 they invite you to an interview/raid

Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post

They do an app for screening so that they don't waste their time bringing you alon just to have you do horribly. Apps are a way for them to be able to test people without having to test every joe who asks to join.

- - - Updated - - -

Team activities are serious if the team takes the activity seriously. These guilds are hardcore progression not flex 1/2 pug raiders

its a GAME they are meant for fun apps only push away potential raiders and wonder of wonders wow is suffering a lack of competent raiders.

- - - Updated - - -

?? doing flex doesn't show how one raids, typing stuff on a form does show how one raids? a strange mind you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorondil View Post
    ?? doing flex doesn't show how one raids, typing stuff on a form does show how one raids? a strange mind you have.

the term is elitism, guilds with an application are usually rife with it

its a GAME they are meant for fun apps only push away potential raiders and wonder of wonders wow is suffering a lack of competent raiders.
    How exactly is it suffering? 6% have 1 heroic kill that's pretty good.

Sports are games too, but the NFL screens people and is exclusive. It's not fun to wipe over and over because of incompetent players, even just testing them, nor is carrying fun, so they screen players.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vorondil View Post
    Yes you can show a lot more knowledge about your class in writing than in a raid if you are lacking gear. They do tend to do trial runs subsequently for those whose apps look good. They don't have time to do trial runs with everybody.

- - - Updated - - -

the term is elitism, guilds with an application are usually rife with it
    buzzwords make my argument valuable!

Yes. They are good players and only want other good players so they can do the content that requires everybody to be good. Crazy idea I know, they should take new players with 0 experience for their H Siegecrafter Progression and stop being so elitist

Deleted
    90% of the information you are required to put in applications are generally useless if your logs are good (most people dont have good logs). However the rest of the application will be extremely useful if you have skethy logs which I would argue most people do.

Say you want to join a guild as a healer, you cheese a lot and never dispels. No dispels is pretty much instant declined however you could then write in your application that you cheese a lot at the moment because you are only doing easy farm bosses or whatever. Essentially still giving you a chance to get invited to said guild.

Sports are games too, but the NFL screens people and is exclusive. It's not fun to wipe over and over because of incompetent players, even just testing them, nor is carrying fun, so they screen players.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes you can show a lot more knowledge about your class in writing than in a raid if you are lacking gear. They do tend to do trial runs subsequently for those whose apps look good. They don't have time to do trial runs with everybody.

- - - Updated - - -

buzzwords make my argument valuable!

Yes. They are good players and only want other good players so they can do the content that requires everybody to be good. Crazy idea I know, they should take new players with 0 experience for their H Siegecrafter Progression and stop being so elitist

and bold letters makes your just as invalid as it was if you hadnt used it try to rationalize all you want. its elitism, applications serve NO true purpose ask for a log thats ALL you need

The most important factor of the app is telling if someone can communicate well. Still, most apps do have silly questions that have 0 merit. Some basic questions regarding what you bring, what times you can make, logs, and a general feel for the one applying is fairly important. It is archaic and I haven't apped since BC, just been riding the rep train and reaching out through organized pugs (very rare these days). There's really no issue if you can just quickly type up a "fluff" app, get a trial and show how good you are. Honestly doing it really wrong if you take any more than 5 minutes in most guild's applications.
    Stay salty my friends.

and bold letters makes your just as invalid as it was if you hadnt used it try to rationalize all you want. its elitism, applications serve NO true purpose ask for a log thats ALL you need
    And there is more than can you pump out damage that guilds look for. Logs are generally part of an app but there is more. Guilds don't want drama, don't want erratic schedules or behavior, and don't want to risk taking somebody on who will be gone in no time.

if you cant take the time to fill out a simple app, its leads gms to believe you're unreliable. now some guilds to have dumbass shit on their apps but i think sometimes those are more inside jokes and or there to have you show some part or your personality to see if you will "click" with the guild. while it is a game, progression guilds take skill to be apart of. it may be your $15 bucks a month. . .but its the raids $360.

And there is more than can you pump out damage that guilds look for. Logs are generally part of an app but there is more. Guilds don't want drama, don't want erratic schedules or behavior, and don't want to risk taking somebody on who will be gone in no time.
    apps avoid drama now? at first they were to weed out bad players now they are to weed out drama queens? sorry but no anyone can LIE on an app and hifde the drama storm quite easily ive seen it happen more often than not when i was part of the hardcore raiding scene

If you're too lazy to make an app you probably don't take raiding seriously enough, oh well I'm sure you'll find your 14/14hm guild by spamming in trade since not every guild is so uptight and ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account

This comparison doesn't work. Professional sports players get paid multi-million dollar contracts for their skills and attributes.

No one here is making a salary to stab Garrosh in the ankles.
    A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.-George Bernard Shaw

10+ Year Old Account
    My guild has an app that takes about 10 minutes to fill out. It just asks the basic stuff like if you stand in fire and just give a bit of background about yourself. We interview our apps through Battletag, look at logs and then approve or deny. Seems to be working so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    $6 for a game made in 1993? If it was free then maybe I would buy it instead of pirating it.

We use app forms as a way to see if the person cares enough about getting into the guild. I agree, it can be a tiresome process, but so what? Generally the players that think they are joining almost as a 'gift' to the guild, have it the wrong way round. We tend to browse over an application, if we like what we see we get them on skype. At this point you are pretty much in the guild already.

The OP said you can just copy/past some BS and I disagree. Any active 'old' guild has seen it all before and know when someone is just being lame. Ultimately fill out a simple form if you really want to be part of a good guild = logical.

apps avoid drama now? at first they were to weed out bad players now they are to weed out drama queens? sorry but no anyone can LIE on an app and hifde the drama storm quite easily ive seen it happen more often than not when i was part of the hardcore raiding scene
    Bad doesn't just apply to skill. Those who start drama are bad for the guild.