Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Question Battle.net Launcher .bat

Hey there

I've always used my small .bat file to automatically delete cache for NPCScan upon starting the game,
    Code:
    @echo off
    del "Cache\WDB\enGB\creaturecache.wdb"
    start  WoW-64.exe
    I was wondering if there is a way to do this with the new Battle.net Launcher, so that it starts WoW from the Launcher (not JUST the launcher, but as if I would click "play", on Wow section of the launcher)

The battle.net launcher does not support command-line arguments as far as I'm aware so no, not possible.

There's no easy way to get between the launcher and the launch of wow. Why not modify your bat file to delete the cache every time the launcher is executed?

Deleted
    I have the Battle.net Launcher on startup, if I can add a bat to a startup I would do this.

Lets say though I have a big session on timeless isle, 60% of rares are in cache, what I would do pre-b.net launcher is close wow, press bat, wow loads, cache is cleared.

For it to work with b.net launcher, I would have to close WoW, then close bnet launcher, relaunch that with the bat, and run wow from the launcher.

I guess you could also use the *.bat file for clearing the cache, just by removing the WoW's exe line from it.
    So, if you do it:
    1) Close WoW.
    2) Run the *.bat file.
    3) Start WoW via Launcher or w/e.

Quote Originally Posted by Otzsx View Post
    Hey there

I've always used my small .bat file to automatically delete cache for NPCScan upon starting the game,
    Code:
    @echo off
    start  WoW-64.exe
    I was wondering if there is a way to do this with the new Battle.net Launcher, so that it starts WoW from the Launcher (not JUST the launcher, but as if I would click "play", on Wow section of the launcher)
    Just have a batch file that deletes the cache.

If you start the battle.net launcher at startup, and it's active in the background (after you close out of WoW), you should be able to delete the WoW cache files without issue. The launcher doesn't use them for anything.

Deleted
    Yeah, I know I could just have

Code:
    @echo off
    but the thing is I'm a lazy person and I like to automate things, we'll see what happens when cetraben gets back from work
    thanks for all your help so far

also: doesn't necessarily have to a .bat file!
    Last edited by mmoc83c3477b24; 2014-01-13 at 01:54 PM. Reason: code tags

You can add a bat to your startmenu startup folder containing the following

Code:
    @echo off
    del "X:\PATHTOWOWFOLDER\Cache\WDB\enGB\creaturecache.wdb"
    you could also run this from the start menu any time you wanted it to be cleared. I think its a small price to pay if you want to use the battle.net launcher and save time by not entering login information!

----------
    EDIT:

Seems I was late to the party! you could also make a new bat file that replaces WoW-64.exe with the Launcher exe file?

How about making a 0-byte length creaturecache.wdb file and write-protecting it? (Mac user, don't know the Windows commands)

Quote Originally Posted by toasttemp View Post
    How about making a 0-byte length creaturecache.wdb file and write-protecting it? (Mac user, don't know the Windows commands)
    I am not sure about Macs, but on Windows there is an even easier approach.
    Simply create in that same location, a folder with that same name.

Due to what I assume is a limitation of the file systems used by Windows you cannot have a file and folder of the exact same name in the same location.
    Creating the folder will have a similar effect, just a bit easier imo, avoiding the need to worry about setting anything as read-only.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by toasttemp View Post
    I used to do that but as far as I can tell the bnet launcher seems to reverse the write-protection all the time.
    "A raid is when a bunch of people who play the game too much get together to play the game some more"

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've been using this with no problem

del .\Cache\WDB\enUS\creaturecache.wdb
    start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle.net\Battle.net Launcher.exe"
    exit

If the Battle.Net launcher is already running it will still delete the cache (if WoW isn't open too) and focus the already open launcher.

Edit: sorry I missed the click play button, someone would have to write some application to do something like that is my guess.

I have the Battle.net Launcher on startup, if I can add a bat to a startup I would do this.

Lets say though I have a big session on timeless isle, 60% of rares are in cache, what I would do pre-b.net launcher is close wow, press bat, wow loads, cache is cleared.

For it to work with b.net launcher, I would have to close WoW, then close bnet launcher, relaunch that with the bat, and run wow from the launcher.
    But if you want to clear the cache after you've already been playing for a bit you'd have to do this anyway.

Wouldn't it be easier just to put your .bat in a convenient place like the top of the Start menu or something? Or keybind it in Windows? That way you can quit WoW, click the .bat and then click the start button from the launcher again without rebooting it. It's an extra click/button press but it's faster than rebooting the launcher.

P.S. Are you sure you can't put a .bat file in Startup? Must be a way to get it to run on boot. Does Autoexec.bat still work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    P.S. Are you sure you can't put a .bat file in Startup? Must be a way to get it to run on boot. Does Autoexec.bat still work?
    You definitely can have a .bat run on startup.

I personally would write an autohotkey script to delete the creaturecache and then click the Play button in the battle.net launcher.
    Might actually do that if I have the time.

---
    Turns out I had time: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/7e8610e24d466ec97e24

The code should be somewhat self-explanatory:
    Deletes the creaturecache.wdb - change path depending on your installation
    Restores Battle.net Launcher Window, waits a bit then clicks the top Game button (in case you were playing hearthstone before)
    Waits a bit again, clicks the Play button and then minimizes the Launcher.

You will need the Program Autohotkey for this.
    I should also mention that the Script assumes you already have the battle.net client running.
    Last edited by eyrie; 2014-01-14 at 06:17 AM.
    "A raid is when a bunch of people who play the game too much get together to play the game some more"

Deleted
    great, didn't think of autohotkey, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by esevenf View Post
    You definitely can have a .bat run on startup.

I personally would write an autohotkey script to delete the creaturecache and then click the Play button in the battle.net launcher.
    Might actually do that if I have the time.

---
    Turns out I had time: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/7e8610e24d466ec97e24

The code should be somewhat self-explanatory:
    Deletes the creaturecache.wdb - change path depending on your installation
    Restores Battle.net Launcher Window, waits a bit then clicks the top Game button (in case you were playing hearthstone before)
    Waits a bit again, clicks the Play button and then minimizes the Launcher.

You will need the Program Autohotkey for this.
    I should also mention that the Script assumes you already have the battle.net client running.
    Any chance of having it restore from the tray instead of the taskbar?

great, didn't think of autohotkey, thanks
    You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by tordenflesk View Post
    Any chance of having it restore from the tray instead of the taskbar?
    Might be possible but I'm still learning how to autohotkey. I will look into it.

You're welcome

Might be possible but I'm still learning how to autohotkey. I will look into it.
    Might as well have AutoHotkey run WoW the old fashioned way(wow-64.exe), type the password(Hunter2) and hit enter. It would accomplish the same task without having to run the new launcher at all.

Quote Originally Posted by tordenflesk View Post
    Might as well have AutoHotkey run WoW the old fashioned way(wow-64.exe), type the password(Hunter2) and hit enter. It would accomplish the same task without having to run the new launcher at all.
    True I guess. Not really a fan of having my bnet pw saved in plaintext though.

True I guess. Not really a fan of having my bnet pw saved in plaintext though.
    The chances of a virus looking through your .ahk's is highly unlikely.
    I found an outdated, fancy login script, and stripped it down:
    Code:
    run, "X:\Path\To\wow-64.exe"
    sleep 4500
    winactivate,ahk_class GxWindowClassD3d World Of Warcraft
    sleep 1000
    sendinput SuperSecretPassword
    sendinput {enter}
    If your password uses any punctuation etc., throw a pair of these around it {}
    Last edited by tordenflesk; 2014-01-15 at 08:50 AM.