Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Except when they aren't used as weapons.
    What other use do they have? A floor mob or something?
    They are, and always will be weapons.... Your ignorance is amazing..

I'm going out on a limb here, and say how people like you are the prime example why we need gun regulation that includes individual evaluation of the gun owner.
    You are amongst those people I feel most uncomfortable with to own a gun. Your ignorance, and/or lack of comprehension disqualifies you for being a responsible gun owner.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

What makes an item a weapon?

Intended design or actual use?

If we were talking about a knife or a baseball bat, you would insist they aren't weapons. But if I kill someone with either one, clearly they were weapons at the time I used them as such. Conversely, if I never use a gun as a weapon, then it's not a weapon?

Call it ignorance, but the entire point of this thread is that people are irrationally afraid of guns because of their perception of them. 'Always a weapon' can only be said if guns always injured/killed people.

Since they don't, they can't always be called weapons.

Call it ignorance, but the entire point of this thread is that people are irrationally afraid of guns because of their perception of them. 'Always a weapon' can only be said if guns always injured/killed people.
    People aren't "afraid" of guns as much as they loathe unqualified irresponsible people owning them, like yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    What makes an item a weapon?

Intended design or actual use?

If we were talking about a knife or a baseball bat, you would insist they aren't weapons. But if I kill someone with either one, clearly they were weapons at the time I used them as such. Conversely, if I never use a gun as a weapon, then it's not a weapon?

Since they don't, they can't always be called weapons.
    A baseball bat is a sports instrument
    A knife is a kitchen/cutting tool.
    A 2x4 is construction material
    A branch off a tree, is yard waste
    A scarf is a piece of clothing

All of these things are made for that one purpose. All of these things can turn into a weapon when misused. Just like your hands.. Your hands aren't considered weapons, yet you can kill with them.

Firearms are weapons, they are made as such, and it has ZERO bearing whether you use them for defense or offense.. They will always be weapons.

Again, you either lack the comprehension and with that the intellectual potential to own a gun. Or you are ignorant on purpose, which leads to the same result..
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2014-01-18 at 03:19 PM.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    For normal bullet propelled weapons I believe registration is already to late, and guns are spread around the US like a Con Man spreading his seed as he sold vacuum cleaners to unsuspecting wives.

I believe the answer lies in registering weapons that don't even exist in public hands. Like...

LASER GUNS.

They will be a popular trend in the coming days, and I believe registering each one once they are sold is imperative to maintain the obvious peace and state of being in the US.

Think about it, no bullets, cauterizes wounds, untraceable(except electric bill)...

BAM!
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    A baseball bat is a sports instrument
    A knife is a kitchen tool.
    Not all of them (think combat knives, diving knives and hunting knives) and every knife can instantly double up as a weapon, with zero modification (as can a hammer). Apart from a butter knife, perhaps.

But yes, guns are weapons, regardless of design. So is a catapult, and a slingshot. Guns give you range and rapidity.

People aren't "afraid" of guns as much as they loathe unqualified irresponsible people owning them, like yourself.
    Really? So people haven't spent 1200 pages in this thread trying to remove guns from society as much as possible out of fear that 'bad people' might get them and do bad things?

Somehow I don't think you're right. People are very afraid of guns. So much, to the point where it's become irrational and people are willing to pass any law they can get through congress just to feel less afraid. People like Decklan, Wells, and yourself are even willing to justify passing terribly inefficient and ineffective laws that will place more burden on law abiding citizens than criminals.

That's just how afraid of guns you people are.

Firearms are weapons, they are made as such, and it has ZERO bearing whether you use them for defense or offense.. They will always be weapons.

Again, you either lack the comprehension and with that the intellectual potential to own a gun. Or you are ignorant on purpose, which leads to the same result..
    Firearms are mechanical devices that fire projectiles. As such, they can be used for several different purposes, up to and including as a weapon to harm/kill other people.

But this use is not intrinsic. It is not required. It does not define what a gun is.

Really? So people haven't spent 1200 pages in this thread trying to remove guns from society as much as possible out of fear that 'bad people' might get them and do bad things?
    There's a difference in removing them from society and being responsible, although I don't know how much you're qualified to speak of the latter given your "storage" and "weapon" viewpoints.
    Somehow I don't think you're right. People are very afraid of guns. So much, to the point where it's become irrational and people are willing to pass any law they can get through congress just to feel less afraid. People like Decklan, Wells, and yourself are even willing to justify passing terribly inefficient and ineffective laws that will place more burden on law abiding citizens than criminals.
    I really don't give a fuck how you feel. You've already demonstrated how irrational you are, and now you're just hand-waving away yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    There's a difference in removing them from society and being responsible, although I don't know how much you're qualified to speak of the latter given your "storage" and "weapon" viewpoints.
    I really don't give a fuck how you feel. You've already demonstrated how irrational you are, and now you're just hand-waving away yet again.
    How will a registry keep guns from killing people?

Quote Originally Posted by Dethh View Post
    How will a registry keep guns from killing people?
    It tracks sources of loss, i.e. where guns are going from legal to illegal. You can then prosecute these sources as accessories and close them down.

Considering the fact you want to punish people for not following strict laws you want to impose, I doubt you're qualified to understand the difference between frightened gun control and responsible gun ownership.

Now you're just being vulgar and Decklan.

Considering the fact you want to punish people for not following strict laws you want to impose, I doubt you're qualified to understand the difference between frightened gun control and responsible gun ownership.
    You have no place to say responsible gun storage when you have no idea what it entails. No such thing as bad storage, seriously?

It's why it's not surprising that you are unable to grasp that my proposals can be integrated easily with a UBC law and operate seamlessly. Calling it "punishing" is intellectually dishonest and somewhat hilarious, and why rational people don't take whiners like that seriously.
    Now you're just being vulgar and Decklan.
    I'll take that as a compliment. Unlike you, Decklan actually bases shit in the real world.

15+ Year Old Account
    Firearms are mechanical devices that fire projectiles. As such, they can be used for several different purposes, up to and including as a weapon to harm/kill other people.

But this use is not intrinsic. It is not required. It does not define what a gun is.
    well then you probably should rewrite the wiki articles and some dictionaries as well... because all of them apparently are wrong in their definitions of firearms
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

You have no place to say responsible gun storage when you have no idea what it entails.
    I said 'responsible gun ownership,' of which there are many different levels of acceptable storage. You want everyone to keep their guns in safes, regardless of circumstances that wouldn't require one.

I'd also like to know what makes you think your definition of 'responsible gun storage' is correct or even necessary.

I'll take that as a compliment. Unlike you, Decklan actually bases shit in the real world.
    You mean when he intentionally ignores the content of my posts so he can accuse me of hand waiving his arguments away, despite the fact that I typically address every point he makes?

Yeah, that's some 'real world basis' if I've ever seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    well then you probably should rewrite the wiki articles and some dictionaries as well... because all of them apparently are wrong in their definitions of firearms
    Unfortunately for you, dictionaries are not authorities on the definitions of words. Words are defined by the context in which they are used. This is why many words have multiple definitions/uses, and those definitions/uses change over time.

I said 'responsible gun ownership,' of which there are many different levels of acceptable storage. You want everyone to keep their guns in safes, regardless of circumstances that wouldn't require one.
    You think "responsibility" is on the counter or under a pillow. Views like that are why "the nanny state" is necessary in some regards; as people thoroughly demonstrate they're incapable of responsibility.

You mean when he intentionally ignores the content of my posts so he can accuse me of hand waiving his arguments away, despite the fact that I typically address every point he makes?

He "ignores" you when you put up the same debunked bullshit again and again without source and declare its veracity. Decklan lives in the real-world. It's high time you joined it.

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately for you, dictionaries are not authorities on the definitions of words. Words are defined by the context in which they are used. This is why many words have multiple definitions/uses, and those definitions/uses change over time.
    Oh my fucking God, this is brilliant right after you declare others are handwaving.

Dictionaries aren't experts on the definitions of words (which is funny as shit) because I said so.

That's just how afraid of guns you people are.

Someone arguing that guns shouldn't inherently be considered as weapons has no standing to determine who is irrational. You are what we call, oblivious to reality.

- - - Updated - - -

The content of your posts isn't supported by anything except your own nothingness. There's not even anything there to ignore.

- - - Updated - - -

<blink>...

I'm looking for a word to describe this...let me get my dictionary.

15+ Year Old Account
    i uhm, what?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

You think "responsibility" is on the counter or under a pillow. Views like that are why "the nanny state" is necessary in some regards; as people thoroughly demonstrate they're incapable of responsibility.

He "ignores" you when you put up the same debunked bullshit again and again without source and declare its veracity. Decklan lives in the real-world. It's high time you joined it.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh my fucking God, this is brilliant right after you declare others are handwaving.

Dictionaries aren't experts on the definitions of words (which is funny as shit) because I said so.
    Dictionaries aren't the authority on definitions of words, which is why words have different meanings...

...as defined by dictionaries.

It tracks sources of loss, i.e. where guns are going from legal to illegal. You can then prosecute these sources as accessories and close them down.
    If your gun is stolen depending on state you are sometimes required to call the police or other agency to let them know. You seem to only care about guns being sold illegally and to hold someone accountable after the fact. This does noting against stolen guns or guns sold illegally if someone is killed. The person is still dead. What is the point honestly?

I never said keeping a gun under your pillow or on your counter was responsible. I just said it wasn't inherently bad and should not be treated as a crime. Responsibility is relative and where one should keep their guns largely depends on their circumstances. Making presumptions about the safety and responsibility of people and their private belongings is why you're not only clueless, but largely irrational.

The only thing Decklan has debunked is his ability to form a coherent argument. Citing statistics that don't mean what you want them to mean, massaging study results to fit your ideaology, and arguing strawmen all day, does not constitute 'living in the real world.'

It's a nice thought you appreciate his opinion, probably flattering that you imitate his logic in your posts, but I'm pretty sure you're just as deluded as he is on this subject.

Refuting an argument from authority with fact is no more hand waiving than addressing an argument point by point.