That's just... creepy.

And Illidan wants his chest back

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    I got bored so here is a Worgen based on some art I thought was cool

I'd dislike worgens less if they looked like this
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

10+ Year Old Account
    That Worgen seems prepared.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    I got bored so here is a Worgen based on some art I thought was cool

100 times better then the current worgen. All you can see whilst playing one is their arched over back. A worgens head is so cool looking, so characteristic, you should be able to see the back of it from your pov, would be a great silhouette.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    NE's gold eyes have nothing to do with WoE and arcane. Gold eyes are the sign of great destiny or inherent druidic potential. There's no official lore on why NEs have glowing eyes.

I suspect that unlike human, their eyes glow in night time like cat eye. It would explain why they could see clearly in dark place. No proof though.
    That's all from Knaack's book. I very much doubt Metzen even had those eye colors in mind at all while WC3 was in development, but maybe it's why WOW gave males different colored eyes than females.

I think their eyes glow because they are a race of magically charged biologicals who lived around a fount of intense magic so long it physically altered them to look more like their Goddess and the children of that goddess, along with the moonlight of her divinity infused in their souls. If I saw pupils on a night elf, I'd cringe. The original 2004 cover is interesting, but it's just weird. The Petras Tyrande painting on WOE book 2's cover makes it seem both energy and reflective.
    9 out of 10 times things in WOW look like they do for one major reason, it looks bad ass to the artist. The explanations come later. They just want to have fun and draw cool stuff. WOW pretty much is just a bunch of cool drawings with a story that developed around the visuals more than the other way around I'd say.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Sup thar, Illiworg?

Not bad looking, but the colorations do not quite match up. This makes it look like he's wearing one of those inflatable 'muscle-suits'. (not sure what they're called, but they're silly)

Also, perhaps he is a bit -too- bulky when it comes to the torso. A non-hunching worgen does look good, though.
    I think it looks awesome and would look ridiculous if it was less bulky and totally out of place in Warcraft.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    That's just... creepy.

And Illidan wants his chest back
    Those tattoo styles are seen all over WOW, not just Illidan. It's vaguely a spiral, the equivocation is spurious and superficial. Knee jerk!
    Just go with it for the sake of whatever. You're making the children cry.

- - - Updated - - -

I happen to love the in game WOW player worgen model though, hunchback and all. I just think their locomotion is kind of off animation wise so they look like they're floating on a train while running. Walk animation is almost perfect. Running Wild was a dream come true.

And all the Worgen behind that worgen are hunched anyways in the painting. He's just standing up to survey the area of something like that.
    Last edited by Yig; 2014-01-19 at 02:26 AM.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    I think their eyes glow because they are a race of magically charged biologicals who lived around a fount of intense magic so long it physically altered them to look more like their Goddess and the children of that goddess, along with the moonlight of her divinity infused in their souls. If I saw pupils on a night elf, I'd cringe. The original 2004 cover is interesting, but it's just weird. The Petras Tyrande painting on WOE book 2's cover makes it seem both energy and reflective.
    Never say never, done right they could look pretty good.
    Still glovy, yet with pupils.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post

Wait...
    Is that the new Night Elf Model?
    For the Horde!

Quote Originally Posted by Klaxxar View Post
    Wait...
    Is that the new Night Elf Model?
    lol no. take a closer look thats just fanart.

the hair still looks awful just like vanilla hair
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post

The texture style is also all wrong. Way too smooth. Blizzard's textures are always very painterly, where you can see the brushstrokes... sometimes they even incorporate scanned, hand-painted elements into them.

Lol the illiworgen thing was just to see what an upright Worgen might look like proportion wise, Illidans chest was just the perfect proportions for what we were trying to do.
    You just lost The Game

10+ Year Old Account
    It looks too strange to take it serious. Head seems way too big. :P
    Currently Procrastinating

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh, and this is just me, but I've never liked the upright worgen fanart. It looks too much like a human wearing a mask, destroying the unique silhouette of the race. The same is true in werewolf movies, the ones depicting werewolves with humanoid bodies and just wolf-like heads tend to look really look corny and cartoonish to me.

When it comes to anthropomorphizing quadrupedal animals, I personally feel like the anatomy of the animal should be preserved to some degree, especially including the digitigrade legs and the shoulder and neck musculature.

That's just me, of course, but I feel like it creates a far more compelling and unique silhouette, and I'm sure that's why Blizzard does it with their own creature and character designs.

If you're aiming to do a more upright worgen, I think something like this old Samwise piece would be a more appropriate starting point:

Last edited by Kathranis; 2014-01-19 at 03:40 AM.

Deleted
    Mobs are not supposed to have glowy eyes...it's just to make them look cool a bit, but mostly it's cuz it's easier than making proper eyes..Their eyes are not supposed to light up like light bulbs...that would just be weird...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post

omg i remember this comic argh what was it called again T-T

10+ Year Old Account

I like on how the green haired Night Elf looks. :P
    For the Horde!

Blood elves already have glowing eyes without orbs. I'm hoping Night Elves lose the orbs for actual eyes as well, their narrow sinister eyes which exist fully rendered under the orbs give them a lot of their savage and enigmatic tone...

Quote Originally Posted by mcturnip View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen/noticed this before. Could you provide a screen?

Sure. I'll take some full sized 2560 x 1600 screens to give you a good look, forgive me for the large image sizes here guys, I'll crop them to be narrow but long. To see it with Night Elves you have to zoom in to the point they go transparent (I wish there was a way to alter that, I believe Warhammer Online made transparency when zooming in a toggle, but that's a different issue) so it's hard to notice.
    I took the liberty here of showing you what it looks like in game, then I zoomed in and using photoshop I emphasized the eyes they have underneath those orbs which create what I call affectionately the "Furby Orbs", or "Furby Effect".

To see these full sized click the direct links I provide and then use the magnifying glass icon on the bottom right of the image 2 times to see the full sized image. I don't know why, perhaps the forum limits the size of certain images, but photobucket sometimes forces my images to be smaller than the fully uploaded image.

Here you see the Night Elves have actual eyes underneath those orbs fully textured and hand painted with dark rimmed lids that are just impeded from the glow of those orbs, and it robs them of their enigmatic and sinister character I think. I should have zoomed in on a more neutral and darker background as seeing through my model makes it a bit cloying to the eye with the tent I chose but I just chose the spot I was closest to, I think it still shows well what I'm talking about. I emphasized the eyeliner like lids and removed the glow for the most part.
    I in no way altered the shape of their eye, this is only emphasized with removing the radiance on his flesh and burning the outline of his eyes, but I increased the glow within the eye itself to show what the eyes would look like without being so faded out and transparent.

Here we can see the Draenei male's glowing eyes, no Furby effect. I really have a special place in my heart for this model, it's a shame the community is so divided on them, but I look forward to whatever they look like. I should really upload my Draenei fan art, I really take the divine demon theme and give them some very lofty and elaborate and weird horn structures, I love the idea of a demonic creature with demonic traits but given the atmosphere and tone of a divine and benevolent being of serenity. Such a genius juxtaposition in my mind, and one I feel Blizzard is very much not given credit for in their creativity. Mixing it up with the almost Hindu divinity, even Shattrath and the color of it's stone reminded me of the areas around the Ganges river for some reason.

The Blood Elves do have a slight hint of a pupil in the fel fire energy infusing their eyes with that subtle baleful glow I love oh so much.
    This is my Sin'dorei warlock and stealer of demon hunter secrets Morindai, who has been kind enough to model his eyes for us today/tonight so that we may better appreciate the dynamics of glowing player model eyes. Thank you Morindai, we all appreciate it. You smell like brimstone though, and those good looking duds won't
    cover the scent of rotten eggs my friend.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Senedra View Post
    omg i remember this comic argh what was it called again T-T
    Beyond the Tree.

http://beyondthetree.wordpress.com/2...art-somewhere/

I LOVE THAT BACKPACK! And I love the expressions the artist can get out of the vanilla gnome model.

This is soooo inspiring. And it's not exactly fan art, it's using in game assets tweaked in model/animation programs. I adore the visual style and would love to see a full sized comic detailing the adventures of a young Night Elf leaving Teldrassil from Shadowglen on to Dolanaar and beyond, sailing the original voyage to the Wetlands from Auberdine before the Cataclysm struck,... all the way to level 60 and the fall of Onyxia, Ragnaros, and the Ahn'Qiraj. Subsequently there would then be a new saga added for each expansion's story through the eyes of this character.

I plan on drawing it one day in my pompous vanity Using my Night Elf warrior/wannabe demon hunter I've roleplayed a storyline for the last 9 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Summerdrake View Post
    Mobs are not supposed to have glowy eyes...it's just to make them look cool a bit, but mostly it's cuz it's easier than making proper eyes..Their eyes are not supposed to light up like light bulbs...that would just be weird...
    What? Pardon, but you're confusing me.

It's got nothing to do with difficulty, it's supposed to look like light bulbs, because glowing eyes look cool, yes. I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Mobs are MMORPG slang for enemy NPCs. But there's nothing saved by not giving something pupils, it's a massive way to show demeanor with a subtle effect. Adding pupils takes seconds, you think this is some kind of issue over saving time and effort?

We're freaking super heros divinely charged with the powers of the cosmos, demonic, elemental, holy, shadow, arcane, what have you.

When we get more class cosmetic options like Robinson has hinted at, I personally would love a way to make all level 60+ paladins have permanently glowing blue eyes, just like in the lore. Or only when in combat, yeah. Uther, I love ya man. /salute
    Last edited by Yig; 2014-01-19 at 07:12 AM.
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

The one in the middle looks like Rengar from Leage of Legends. Anyways, all of these photoshops look amazing! Really hope they are implemented ingame. Also, if you guys wanna check out some nice models, search for Vaanel on youtube or deviantart. He has made some really nice models for example Thrall, Nerzhul, others like that....Can't post link tho since this is my first reply

The Worgen Male mock-up was pretty awesome; namely due to standing up straight without a hunch, which is how I feel they should be (especially considering the females have no hunch). As it is, I just feel the hunch ruins them a bit; not least due to the fact that it makes them seem rather short, or shorter than the females at least.

As to the Draenei model, I agree that it often comes under too much attack, and that it really isn't that bad at the moment. Some things I would like to see changed however, would include the walk/run animation for the males, and some more customization options in the form of horns/tail/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 31r1k View Post
    The one in the middle looks like Rengar from Leage of Legends. Anyways, all of these photoshops look amazing! Really hope they are implemented ingame. Also, if you guys wanna check out some nice models, search for Vaanel on youtube or deviantart. He has made some really nice models for example Thrall, Nerzhul, others like that....Can't post link tho since this is my first reply
    That may be because every single hero in every MOBA/DOTA/LOL game is a direct copy inspired by the archetypes of the hero units in Warcraft 3, as MOBA evolved from a WC3/SC2 mod called Defense of the Ancients, using modded Warcraft heroes for units. Even though Worgen are more recent, they are all seem like generic Blizzard clones to me.

Coming from communities of artists and hobbyists who can take constructive criticism this may seem harsh to some, but I really do not have a great appreciation for Vaanel's work beyond appreciating it as passionate fan art, and I find the amount of people who think it's superior to Blizzard's artists for the hyper detail and dark gritty colors while they ignore the actual form underneath all that detail annoying. It's far too ornate, far too angular and busy, and mostly just recycled assets heavily modified in a very creative use of collage, but it ends up looking muddy from a distance and the silhouettes are just sharp angles to my eye that lack distinction and personality and character without the name of the person pointed out to you or the obvious details up close in your face. I love and appreciate their passion and dedication to their creations, but they show little personal appreciation for form and characterization and seem to focus more on heavy details that just end up looking impressive at first but end up distracting you from the actual form and shapes they are using as a foundation. It all looks like it's made of triangles to me. Form should trump detail in my opinion. A cartoonist who can make a strong confident elegant line creating a sense of volume and mass and depth your mind can feel and fill in takes the sort of talent I tend to gravitate towards, someone like Mike Mignola can do a lot to show what a grasp of form can do with a minimum of lines, economy of line is essential to me. And in 3D work there is an economy of line rule that is equivalent. I think Vaanel potentially has a bright future ahead of them if they keep practicing and pushing themselves and don't sit on their laurels, but they need to be careful of going off on visual tangents.

I know, because I suffer a lot from visual tangents. My doctors are doing all they can.

But yeah, 'round these here parts most everyone knows about Vaanel and has a strong opinion on their work, which says something at least you've got to hand it to them for.

- - - Updated - - -

These are the original Worgen. I'm not sure what people expected to be done to them when these where what they looked like all along. Why people want tails and posture despite the precedent in their design I appreciate, but that's how they do. Just as the cuttlefish do, and the red snapper do, and just as how you do. How do you do?

They never were werewolves, they were demonic werewolf like transdimensional aliens that turned out to be tied into an interesting story involving the Emerald Dream.
    I like how they've evolved since, but a lot of people seem to just think they are anthro wolves without the weirdness Blizzard gave them to make them distinct.
    I love Wei's females the bestest.

- - - Updated - - -

Will be really cool to see what they do on the upcoming model revamps.
    Last edited by Yig; 2014-01-19 at 10:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer the current Worgen male model to the fan variants. It doesn't need additional bulkiness and I don't see a problem with its posture.

As for the glowing eyes, I'm not a huge fan of pupils on the elves, but they're there; I just want the option to conceal them with a stronger glow.

As for Paladins, if they went for a holy glow for their eyes or some of their gear, that'd be cool.

- - - Updated - - -

the well of eternity evolved the dark trolls into night elves.

glowing eyes is a sign of some sort of magical infusion, the well of eternity was a giant pool filled with magic that the night elves lived next to for thousands and thousands of years.

the great destiny stuff is just a bunch of mythology legend babble
    Their eyes would glow blue and not yellow or silver if it were arcane energies.
    Start trying to work out who deserves what, and before long you’ll spend the rest of your days weeping for each and every person in the world.