Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Disc Priest Summary of Play

10man

Little damage - Atonement heal
    If nothing big is coming up - pop Evangelism and continue Atonement Heal.

Do you use Penance as a dps (so lose Grace) or do you use penance as a tank buff then atone heal the rest of the time.

Do you use level 90 talent for dps or healing - or do it based on what is needed. Using cascade as the example - do you generally use it for dps or healing or pick if healing is needed or not? I guess with Divine Star you would use on near CD as it would probably be a stacked fight.

Moderate damage - Atonement heal
    Use Evange if it wont be needed more in the next 30 secs?
    Do you use Inner Focus and then PoH for a nice blanket then carry on atonement?

Big Damage coming - eg in 15 secs
    15 secs before the big damage - pop Evang - Spirit Shell - Inner focus if available - PoH spam the two groups until at max shield or time on SS is up. After time is up continue PoH spam to build up Divine Aegis. Big impact happens...... use PoM PoH spam and build up evang with holy fire / smite if time.

If you can use Galakras as an example (normal - say you dont out gear it etc so have to do decent choices on spells)

You are on the ground - so atone most of the time - spirit shell for anything? There is some aoe in there that can be mitagated or do you just spam atone. End boss - SS straight away? Then atone / PoM on CD and when damage ramps PoH spam?

If you can explain one fight to me I can get the jist of it and transfer it to other bosses.

Thanks

Do you use SWP for extra dps (does it do extra dps?)
    Last edited by mmoca9d2e197dc; 2014-01-20 at 04:40 PM.

Deleted
    Generally Evangelism / Archangel should always be used as soon as it is ready with the time of the initial consumption timed to fit into the CD pattern of periodic abilities that will be most strenuous for that encounter.

Penance should almost always be used offensively. If you need to use it defensively, then it will be pretty clear!

The level 90 talent is best used for healing. Don't use Cascade but rather Divine Star or Halo. It should be pretty easy to line up Divine Star so that it cleaves through the majority of your healing targets and the DPS targets. Be aware that the most useful L90 talents require positioning and a decent awareness of what your raid group is doing.

PoM should be used correctly.

Moderate damage is typically dealt with exactly the same way as light damage though with PW:S being thrown around.

Large timed damage would be dealt with using Spirit Shell and Divine Star.

For Galakras normal there really isn't much that is too complicated to deal with. Atonement for the adds, using Divine Star to cleave through them (to get Twist of Fate) and your raid. Spirit Shell on the add wave where the mobs have the AoE shout (the first, for example if memory serves me correctly).

During the phase with Galakras, Spirit Shell when it begins, keep PoM bouncing, atonement rotation on the boss, PW:B as needed. If things get dire, start throwing out PW:S and Borrowed Time buffed PoH.

SWP will always add extra DPS but it shouldn't be a priority. Normally I'll use it when moving and not having anything else to fire off.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amezea View Post
    Generally Evangelism / Archangel should always be used as soon as it is ready with the time of the initial consumption timed to fit into the CD pattern of periodic abilities that will be most strenuous for that encounter.

Penance should almost always be used offensively. If you need to use it defensively, then it will be pretty clear!

The level 90 talent is best used for healing. Don't use Cascade but rather Divine Star or Halo. It should be pretty easy to line up Divine Star so that it cleaves through the majority of your healing targets and the DPS targets. Be aware that the most useful L90 talents require positioning and a decent awareness of what your raid group is doing.

PoM should be used correctly.

Moderate damage is typically dealt with exactly the same way as light damage though with PW:S being thrown around.

Large timed damage would be dealt with using Spirit Shell and Divine Star.

For Galakras normal there really isn't much that is too complicated to deal with. Atonement for the adds, using Divine Star to cleave through them (to get Twist of Fate) and your raid. Spirit Shell on the add wave where the mobs have the AoE shout (the first, for example if memory serves me correctly).

During the phase with Galakras, Spirit Shell when it begins, keep PoM bouncing, atonement rotation on the boss, PW:B as needed. If things get dire, start throwing out PW:S and Borrowed Time buffed PoH.

SWP will always add extra DPS but it shouldn't be a priority. Normally I'll use it when moving and not having anything else to fire off.
    Great that's good general advice. Is SS worth using when long term raid wide Damage Is Going On or just use PoH? Ss doesn't buff it at all or just better at sniping healing?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BombayRoll View Post
    Great that's good general advice. Is SS worth using when long term raid wide Damage Is Going On or just use PoH? Ss doesn't buff it at all or just better at sniping healing?
    You will make sure that you don't overheal that much, so both of them. But it should always be used to mitigate dmg, not to snipe heals.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    You will make sure that you don't overheal that much, so both of them. But it should always be used to mitigate dmg, not to snipe heals.
    Spirit shell should always be used to snipe heals on CD as it is an essential part of disc priest's method of healing on a low spirit build. We do not require spirit or mana to cast spells, due to Spirit Shell and Divine Aegis; with these two abilities, we are able to fuel our spells with the tears of the other healers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleze View Post
    Spirit shell should always be used to snipe heals on CD as it is an essential part of disc priest's method of healing on a low spirit build. We do not require spirit or mana to cast spells, due to Spirit Shell and Divine Aegis; with these two abilities, we are able to fuel our spells with the tears of the other healers.
    Go ahead and do it, I will try to beat encounters instead.

I just honestly suggest reading this guide.

Spirit Shell will be used closed to CD, sure, but it's better to hold it if you know there is going ot be upcoming burst damage (Calamity on protectors/Stack phase, big adds coming up on Norushen, Swelling Pride Sha, etc.) You do not want to forsake using it before a big damage burst like that, and having it on CD. That's poor play.

Grace isn't too important of a mechanic in PvE. In very early progression, you can maintain grace on your tank by alternating Penance offensively to defensively, as long as the tank isn't being greatly overhealed during this. Fights that needed this was like, heroic Durumu early on, Heroic Dark Shamans, etc.

Pair your Archangel up with your Level 90 talents and SS.

Track to see PoM is even bouncing, don't cast it during times where it won't.

Again, please review the guide I linked. I think it'll clear up most of your questions.

Also, this:

Deleted
    Snipe healing by using it before large damage? Yes.

And fully reforging out of spirit is basic lol

Right I think the contention was using it on CD without any regard to damage patterns. Whether that was the intended thing to be conveyed, or the poster who:

The underlined statement doesn't even make any sense. The bolded statement is unclear, considering that some damage patterns are not on a perfect 1 minute timer.

Spirit Shell itself is an Aura that for the duration that it is active (10 seconds) will let you apply that aura to other players with PoH, FH, or GH. It's best applied by PoH after leading into it with Borrowed Time from a PW: Shield cast.

The calculation for Spirit Shell is as follows:

(1 + Crit*(1 + Mastery))* the tooltip healing value for the spell you use it with.

This change occurred in 5.2

As you can see, Crit and mastery are both factored in, and thus, combining Inner Focus (which generates a crit on cast) is beneficial. I macro it into my Spirit Shell.
    Last edited by Sillychan; 2014-01-20 at 06:24 PM.

25m wise, disc is stupid. Hit everything on CD; Level 90 Talent, AA, Spirit Shell, Mindbender, Inner Focus, Rapture. Atonement when you're not hitting a CD or Spirit Shelling.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Naer View Post
    The underlined statement doesn't even make any sense. The bolded statement is unclear, considering that some damage patterns are not on a perfect 1 minute timer.
    I think someone has their 2srs hat on today.

You'll be atonement healing the vast majority of the time unless the situation warrants a pws/t90/prayer of healing. Never use t90s for dps, that's just an awful waste.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluttershy View Post
    You'll be atonement healing the vast majority of the time unless the situation warrants a pws/t90/prayer of healing. Never use t90s for dps, that's just an awful waste.
    Great thanks. Last two questions, on the last statement would you use divine Star on cd to try and shield groups as well as some dps.

Other qu was for mass aoe - imagine transition on garrosh with annihilate. Would you ss just before you engage boss. PoM on cd. Then spam pws into PoH repeat with divine Star in as well. So that is technically the highest hps you can obtain?

I use DS when there's a lot of trash on galakras and on cd for thok. For blackfuse I generally save em for overloads but use em on cooldown for magnets.

For garrosh p1 spirit shell before he activates then just use your t90 and use poh along with holyfire/penance on CD. shield the scrub who misses his buff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluttershy View Post
    I use DS when there's a lot of trash on galakras and on cd for thok. For blackfuse I generally save em for overloads but use em on cooldown for magnets.

For garrosh p1 spirit shell before he activates then just use your t90 and use poh along with holyfire/penance on CD. shield the scrub who misses his buff.
    Thanks

I am guessing using HF and penance loses some hps but helps heal someone that is very low. What is the max hps (including shields) a disc can do - if all 10 players are taking mass damage - is it just PoH spam with l90 talent? Does casting a pws for the 15% speed cast in between each poh increase hps? Or does penance / pom still have a place in the max hps scenario?

Deleted
    Personally, I wouldn't worry about what your absolute maximum HPS rotation is. Certainly, I don't since I have never once been in a situation where such a consideration is merited. I guess the closest might be something like a very poorly handled Galakras Heroic attempt but either then you will be breaking away from "maximum hps" as situations occur, be it to use Power Shield on a low health target, Binding Heal to wrench yourself back up so that offensive Penance isn't wasted or to Leap of Faith someone back into the group.

I find thinking in terms of maximum HPS, winning on the meters, to be very unhelpful when it comes to my job of keeping people alive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amezea View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't worry about what your absolute maximum HPS rotation is. Certainly, I don't since I have never once been in a situation where such a consideration is merited. I guess the closest might be something like a very poorly handled Galakras Heroic attempt but either then you will be breaking away from "maximum hps" as situations occur, be it to use Power Shield on a low health target, Binding Heal to wrench yourself back up so that offensive Penance isn't wasted or to Leap of Faith someone back into the group.

I find thinking in terms of maximum HPS, winning on the meters, to be very unhelpful when it comes to my job of keeping people alive.
    Yeap its nothing to do with meters - I am just switching to priest after healing on shaman and druid so wanted to know what I am doing. I am not saying doing a max hps is correct I am just checking I understand what the rotation would be. Of course PWS on low target etc - you made a good reminder though that binding heal is very effective at getting yourself back up with another 1 (or 2 glyphed) before you start to atone again so you dont 50% heal yourself.

I was thinking binding heal wasnt really in the disc routine but making for making sure you dont gimp your atone healing I guess its brilliant.

Great thanks. Last two questions, on the last statement would you use divine Star on cd to try and shield groups as well as some dps.

Other qu was for mass aoe - imagine transition on garrosh with annihilate. Would you ss just before you engage boss. PoM on cd. Then spam pws into PoH repeat with divine Star in as well. So that is technically the highest hps you can obtain?
    You'll need to get a feel for it for using divine star just to get shields up It depends on composition and how good your other healers are. There's even times you want to divine star just before dmg for shields and have the rebounce of divine star be after dmg for healing. But 80-90% of the time you're using it normally. With more experience you'll understand how to use divine star the best way.

I'll give some examples to explain (this all depends on composition and how good your other healers are, so don't follow my examples) :
    On garrosh for exploding star, if I divine star after damage, before divine star has rebounced my raid will already be healed up. So this is an excellent moment for me to divine star before dmg to get shields up, and let the rebounce do the healing.
    On blackfuse, the first overload, my raid barely takes dmg, so I fully use divine star 5-6s before overload to get shields up.

Best way to heal annihilate is to SS and PoM before annihilate starts. When it starts, DS mostly on cd, and only use PoH, except when you need to move, use a penance/shield/pom. I'm pretty sure alternating PW:S and PoH is not a throughput increase. It is also more mana intensive to heal this way. (on heroic garrosh you will need to use shield more often to save people who didnt get the bubble buff)
    Last edited by Talhooo; 2014-01-21 at 12:07 PM.

I think someone has their 2srs hat on today.
    Today? Oh no... I never take it off!

How do you guys use Inner Focus?
    I am a baddy who has it macro'd to Prayer of Healing.