Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Algathor View Post
    Fish yea, but eggs?
    Yes?

I guess its ovo-vegetarians, although that only means vegetarians with eggs. People who eat fish aren't vegetarians either, but rather Pescatarians.
    So I guess they are ovo-pescatarians?
    http://vegetarian.about.com/od/veget...TypesofVeg.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I have the right to judge whom I please.
    Doesn't preclude your judgements of irrationality, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    In fact, I quite like it and I would consider it an abuse to inflict my child with a foreskin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    You don't appear to understand how it works...they don't stick it on when the baby is born.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    I don't have a problem with that, no. Problem is that taking a moral highground on an issue where you have to eat something to survive is going to have different moral implications regardless if someone is eating meat or vegetables. That's life in a nutshell. I'm not going to feel guilty for eating meat and you don't have to feel guilty for eating a veggie burger. We eat to survive and that's where I draw the line for letting animals suffer at our hands. At least we can treat them with some dignity before they die.

The stuff I have heard some vegetarians and vegans say have been demonstrably wrong. Granted, they have had pretty extreme views, but the ethical and environmental reasons they bring up have been wrong. Still, if you feel like I put every single vegetarian and vegan under the same category, I apologize.
    You did and that is why I even bothered replying. General statements are always bad and are very prevalent in talk about small portions of humanity.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes?

I guess its ovo-vegetarians, although that only means vegetarians with eggs. People who eat fish aren't vegetarians either, but rather Pescatarians.
    So I guess they are ovo-pescatarians?
    http://vegetarian.about.com/od/veget...TypesofVeg.htm
    I have no idea what the classifications of vegetarian are, but just normal eggs would never occur to me as something not eaten by those who want to avoid eating animals, to put it simply. Not eating eggs tends to be the vegan thing, not vegetarian.

"When most people think of vegetarians, they think of lacto-ovo-vegetarians." So i'm not sure why vegetarians eating eggs is funny considering it is the normal classification of vegetarianism. The only real branch is those who eat fish to the vegetarian title it seems.

That study is only halfway done (not that I expect it to change), but it says people who take care of themselves live longer than those who don't. Apparently people who watch their weight are less likely to smoke as well. Oh lordy no!

otoh, I find it humorous that there are people that call themselves vegetarians that eat Eggs and Fish, but w/e. (it was brought up in the study)
    I would also like to note that I didn't question the 'healthiness' of being a Vegetarian. Or Fish/Eggs/Dairy/Vegetarian. I just suggesting that implying that saying vegetarians have a more diverse diet than omnivores seems pretty backwards to me, and that study doesn't dispute (or even mention) that.

- - - Updated - - -

I have no idea what the classifications of vegetarian are, but just normal eggs would never occur to me as something not eaten by those who want to avoid eating animals, to put it simply. Not eating eggs tends to be the vegan thing, not vegetarian.

"When most people think of vegetarians, they think of lacto-ovo-vegetarians." So i'm not sure why vegetarians eating eggs is funny considering it is the normal classification of vegetarianism. The only real branch is those who eat fish to the vegetarian title.
    Because the word vegetarian means no meat or lack of meat? Both fish and eggs fall under the meat category?
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    So, do we have any of those people in this thread then? You can still discuss this stuff without having to discuss anything with people who do that.
    The only fanatics I've seen here are usually found in the gun control thread. But a depressing majority of posters here are either trolls or terminally stupid; I'm not sure which, really.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Because the word vegetarian means no meat or lack of meat? Both fish and eggs fall under the meat category?
    Not eggs. They'd be in the same category as milk. They're animal products, but not flesh tissue. Both are more practical to 'ethically' acquire than actual meat.
    In fact, I quite like it and I would consider it an abuse to inflict my child with a foreskin.
    You don't appear to understand how it works...they don't stick it on when the baby is born.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never really heard of many vegetarians not eating eggs unless they were vegans. Unfertilized eggs aren't animals, nor were they ever going to be animals. I'd think "meat" usually means "this used to be alive and thinking and feeling."
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

Deleted
    I preach meatism while wearing my bacon basket weave robes and proudly holding my cow leg scepter up for all to behold..

Deleted
    If eggs are non vegetarian ejalculation is genocide.

Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    I preach meatism while wearing my bacon basket weave robes and proudly holding my cow leg scepter up for all to behold..
    Well then you deseve some vegan counter preacher then you can preach at each other the whole day.

Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    Not eggs. They'd be in the same category as milk. They're animal products, but not flesh tissue. Both are more practical to 'ethically' acquire than actual meat.
    Oddly almost everywhere I can see that categorize eggs categorize them as meat, not dairy.
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    You did and that is why I even bothered replying. General statements are always bad and are very prevalent in talk about small portions of humanity.
    Well, I don't really try to generalize. Usually I find that to be a given when I write stuff, but I guess I sometimes forget how the internet can be to people. At least things are cleared up now.

Technically yes, but when the vast majority of people say they are vegetarian, they do not mean "no meat", they mean "no animal that is or has been alive". An unfertilized egg is not an animal. You have those who go into the specifics, but it is rarely the case when talking about vegetarianism. Did you only learn about vegetarians from the internet or something?

- - - Updated - - -

Oddly almost everywhere I can see that categorize eggs categorize them as meat, not dairy.
    They sit right next to all the dairy products in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia in every supermarket I have been in.
    Last edited by Moralgy; 2014-01-24 at 09:40 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post

?

Technically yes, but when the vast majority of people say they are vegetarian, they do not mean "no meat", they mean "no animal that is or has been alive". An unfertilized egg is not an animal. You have those who go into the specifics, but it is rarely the case when talking about vegetarianism. Did you only learn about vegetarians from the internet or something?
    Nope, from a few family members who try to 'make me see the light' but still suck down eggs and fish like they are candy. Fat vegetarians are sad, sad people.
    They sit right next to all the dairy products in both Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia in every supermarket I have been in.
    So is yogurt and orange juice and refrigerated bread dough and pasta. I guess those are all dairy too? Sorry, I trust the USDA classification over what you see in a supermarket.
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, from a few family members who try to 'make me see the light' but still suck down eggs and fish like they are candy. Fat vegetarians are sad, sad people.

So is yogurt and orange juice and refrigerated bread dough and pasta. I guess those are all dairy too? Sorry, I trust the USDA classification over what you see in a supermarket.
    The same people who gave us that wonderful food pyramid?

Deleted
    Do you support abortion? Because unfertilized eggs are for sure less life than that.
    Nope, from a few family members who try to 'make me see the light' but still suck down eggs and fish like they are candy..
    Tell them that fish would scream if they could or some shit.

That is kind of the point here, you are harping too much on internet definitions of something while the common definition varies far from the internet one.(aka the correct classification most of the time) What you are doing with eggs here is akin to correcting someone saying they have a theory by calling it a hypothesis, at best.

Also, just as those other people just said, I have never, ever heard of vegetarianism just being "not eating meat" except from those who are meaning "meat from a living or once living animal."

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Why do we have a moral imperative to minimize nonhuman suffering?
    Similiar reasons for why we should minimize human suffering. The fact that it doesn't benefit us as directly shouldn't be of much consequence. Humanity doesn't function on that kind of per-need basis. There is no reason not to endeavor to minimize the suffering of any creature that can feel it, human or otherwise. Discriminating against animals on account of their species is an underhanded attempt to justify what's almost inherently a flawed position.

You wouldn't kill and consume an alien lifeform that was of similiar intelligence to humans, but of a very different species, would you? So clearly an organism's mere species shouldn't factor into it. What factors does that leave you to decide on a course of action over, then? Intelligence? Why does intelligence inherently confer a creature with rights? You wouldn't kill a mentally-retarded person who had even less cognitive capabilities than an animal. That is illegal, and thankfully so.
    Last edited by Velaniz; 2014-01-24 at 09:50 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    According to some fish is not a meat, I find it baffling.
    It is amazing how crazy some people are. And the "funny" part is that eating fish is far more taxing on our world then eating meat. You can't really keep fish as you keep cows and other cattle. Over fishing is a really big problem and if it continues, soon the sea's will be almost empty.
    And if people did not eat meat allot more species would be on the brink of extinction, because why breed cows, chickens and other animals if your not going to eat them or keep them as pets.

That is kind of the point here, you are harping too much on internet definitions of something while the common definition varies far from the internet one.(aka the correct classification most of the time) What you are doing with eggs here is akin to correcting someone saying they have a theory by calling it a hypothesis, at best.

Also, just as those other people just said, I have never, ever heard of vegetarianism just being "not eating meat" except from those who are meaning "meat from a living or once living animal."
    So what you are saying is the way you use the word 'vegetarianism' isn't the actual definition, or what is used by say the government or large organizations, and we should all change how we use it to match you because you are right?

Excellent. I'll do that.
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.