Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Unless Blizzard are already working on post WOD expansion, don't expect

Literally 1 expansion per year (every 12 months on the dot).

If they launch WOD in September-October (which is just my guesstimate), the only way they could follow up with an expansion 12 months afterwards is if they've already got the story down for it now, and are starting to work on a cinematic, zones, quests etc.

The reason for this is because I can't believe you can make an entire expansion by itself in one year if you really start working on it only past the currently launched expansion (ex, they only really start working on post-WOD expansion right after they launch WOD).
    The people working at Blizzard are human beings, and I don't think their company, especially now that it's so large and probably controlled by a fair amount of bureaucracy, still allows its employees to work unpaid 24 hour shifts and sleeping at their desks overnight like they did when making Starcraft 1 for example. (read the story I'm referencing here: http://www.codeofhonor.com/blog/toug...d-to-starcraft )

And considering they're always telling us how they've been increasing the WoW team, and how they don't want to invest ressources in a major content patch for pandaland anymore, the only logical way I can assume they're distributing all that massive amount of manpower is by working on both WoD and post WoD expansion simultaneously. That would actually be a very believable explanation as to why they don't have time to make any more content for this expansion. It also fits with a description a developer made at Blizzcon about how the story team already has plans for 5-6 expansions ahead, and how everything they're doing for WoD fits in a larger scheme of things for expansions ahead.

------------------------------

This thread doesn't really have a purpose other than to say, don't be so angry that Blizzard isn't keeping its 1 expansion per year promise at the moment, and don't be angry if they don't keep it past WoD either, because they're either lying amount the vast amount of manpower they say they've hired lately, or they've just bit on a bit more than they can chew with the "1 year 1 expansion" announcement.

Have a nice day, and lower your expectations for the moment .
    Last edited by Ballantines; 2014-01-25 at 06:00 PM.

They have already said that they are already working on the expansion after WoD. And it's perfectly possible, even likely we see the expansion in late July or early August. The only reason that we have such long PTR's is because they have us test so much, in MoP there were all new talent trees to test, and a complete rework of Locks, a new spec all together for Druids. And all the raid testing that gets done. Most likely we'll only need to test the raids, and have the usual bug testing while that happens, I wouldn't be surprised if we only had PTR for like 3 months.

Of course they are already working on the next expansion after WoD. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nex.../1100-6416116/

Blizz bolstered its Dev team by 80% since MoP in order to facilitate faster content releases, monthly content patches, 3 month tiers and annual expansions.
    You just lost The Game

Deleted
    Also, since different teams work on different parts of the game, it's completely possible that teams move onto the next expansion when they've finished everything for the current one.

Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    Of course they are already working on the next expansion after WoD. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nex.../1100-6416116/

Blizz bolstered its Dev team by 80% since MoP in order to facilitate faster content releases, monthly content patches, 3 month tiers and annual expansions.
    Faster store content releases maybe

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    Hahaha, spot on!

Why would anyone expect yearly expansions? They have been saying that want yearly expansions since TBC and so far they have failed to do so.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only way this will ever happen is if they redefine what an expansion is. To deliver yearly expansions, the expansions would have to become more like what we a call a patch now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much this.

They have been saying faster expansion releases since wrath and it's amazing people still believe them

10+ Year Old Account
    How witty of you.

They said that they had begun WoD development before MOP launch (or maybe just after, I think before though) and they've said similar things previously. They're always working on the next one since before launch of its predecessor.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Why would anyone expect yearly expansions? They have been saying that want yearly expansions since TBC and so far they have failed to do so.
    Exactly, it's just a dream that's unlikely to ever happen.

The current 2 year cycle is fine, only problem is the raid content lull at the end. If they manage to get it down to 1 and a half years, like they're trying with Warlords, without sacrificing raid content, then it'll be perfect.

They just need to cut up an expansion and sell it to people twice. I'm not sure what's so hard about that.

THERE WAS NEVER A PROMISE. To make that claim is puerile and intellectually dishonest. You're essentially lying in a subtle manipulative tactic to elicit guilt or warp context in a dishonest way to support your unfair standards of criticism. So essentially, you just promised me that Blizzard promised. Right?
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    THERE WAS NEVER A PROMISE. To make that claim is puerile and intellectually dishonest. You're essentially lying in a subtle manipulative tactic to elicit guilt or warp context in a dishonest way to support your unfair standards of criticism. So essentially, you just promised me that Blizzard promised. Right?
    I don't give that much of a crap and I wasn't trying to manipulate anything, if you want my completely honest and brutally straightforward opinion about Blizzard: I think they're caught up in their own hype, and someone should force them to work in their 95-99' working conditions again, and I truly believe they would deliver games and content 10x better and more innovative than what we've been getting since Cataclysm. These days though, Blizzard can do no wrong, because if something looks suspicious or questionably lacking purpose they just throw the "we want a polished experience" protective blanket over it, and die hard fans' eyes everywhere shine with tears of awe and admiration at their patron saint who looks over their best interests.

Believe it or not, that's not what this thread is about though, I just hate when people think I'm being manipulative because I hate manipulative people myself, in real life and online, so I laid it out there so you could see the difference of what me criticizing looks like (when I'm being nice).

I used the wrong word there, you're right they never promised, what I meant to say was more along the lines of "hopeful commitment". The reason why I used the word "promised" was probably because I've been reading around posts saying stuff like "When will Blizzard deliver on their promise of yearly expansions?", to which I made this thread as a response.

This.

Only thing that has increased is the rate they put out special freemium mounts.

And if this expansion doesn't come out soon, siege will end up being another dragon soul everyone loves to hate because they were stuck with it over a year with literally nothing new to do in the mean time.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

Yearly expansions are their ultimate timetable goal. That's all they've ever said. No promises, not even a statement that its even possible currently.

And honestly, they could. But they won't compromise on quality, since that's the main thing keeping WoW going after all this time. And anyone who disagrees probably does so for a trivial reason.

Even 18 month expansions would be interesting. Especially if they keep up the 6 month tier timetable and give us three tiers per expansion. That would keep me reasonably happy. But I won't expect it, because I know how hard it is to keep to timetables.

Also I suspect they are already working on the next expansion. Planning, concept art, story, etc.

And WoD's beta won't be as long as MoP's. No talent overhauls, no new class or specs, no testing out Flex. That cuts down on huge amounts of work, and also cuts down the amount of player feedback required - thus more testing can be done internally.

Heck, WoD could probably be launched without an open beta at all. But I doubt they'd do that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    This.

Only thing that has increased is the rate they put out special freemium mounts.
    Uh huh. So how many mounts are in the store right now? Still only counting 7. That's nothing to cry over non-stop about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post

And it's late January and WoD hasn't even hit beta.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

I really doubt anybody even the people at Blizzard ever expected an expansion a year at any point of the game. One every 2 seems to be too much for them atm.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

They already have start to speed up content. They also are working working on next expansion as they mention there plans for faster content.

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    Yearly expansions are their ultimate timetable goal. That's all they've ever said. No promises, not even a statement that its even possible currently.

And honestly, they could. But they won't compromise on quality, since that's the main thing keeping WoW going after all this time. And anyone who disagrees probably does so for a trivial reason.

Even 18 month expansions would be interesting. Especially if they keep up the 6 month tier timetable and give us three tiers per expansion. That would keep me reasonably happy. But I won't expect it, because I know how hard it is to keep to timetables.

Also I suspect they are already working on the next expansion. Planning, concept art, story, etc.

And WoD's beta won't be as long as MoP's. No talent overhauls, no new class or specs, no testing out Flex. That cuts down on huge amounts of work, and also cuts down the amount of player feedback required - thus more testing can be done internally.

Heck, WoD could probably be launched without an open beta at all. But I doubt they'd do that.

- - - Updated - - -

Uh huh. So how many mounts are in the store right now? Still only counting 7. That's nothing to cry over non-stop about.
    They stated that a Beta is crucial and extremely necessary. But I agree with you that the amount of WoD testing is going to be much less than MoP, with no major changes really being implemented. Garrisons are really the only thing that comes to mind, PvP will be relatively stable considering the lack of a new Class. Flex technology is being "tested" by SoO as we speak, and Mythic just means they only have to balance one difficulty of hardcore raiding instead of 2.

Consider the fact that they increased the WoW team by 80%, I don't think its hard to believe that they are now capable of increasing their output by 80% as well. That means either faster expansions with equal content, or equal duration with more content. They've made it pretty clear that they are shooting for the former.
    You just lost The Game