Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Krizak View Post
    Let's talk about a theoretical person named Bob. Bob works a crappy 9-to-5 job to support his family; at least, it's supposed to be 9-to-5, but he ends up having to put in a lot of unpaid overtime to make deadlines. Between rent, utility bills, food, school expenses for his two kids, he doesn't have much money at all for entertainment. He could save up for a few months and buy a new PC game, but all the games released today have requirements far beyond the PC he still has from college. Console games would require investing in, well, a console. But his old rig still runs WoW, and $15 a month? That he can manage. It's actually a lot of entertainment for his money, with new raids coming out periodically, PvPing, questing, all sorts of things to do. It's just a great way to unwind after a grueling day at the office.

But then one day, Mike Morhaime suddenly gets hit by a bus, and a man named Kelliak learns that he was somehow related to the dearly departed Mr. Morhaime, and he has inherited a controlling interest in Blizzard Entertainment. Kelliak wastes no time installing himself at the top of Blizzard's command structure, and he has a new direction for WoW, a brighter, more ELITE future for the game. Graphics artists are hired by the truckload to produce the new, high-resolution graphics that'll cover every inch of the game world, and soon, WoW is indistinguishable from any game produced in the year 2014.

Of course, sacrifices have to be made, and unfortunately, the new WoW just won't run on Bob's old computer. Separated from both his source entertainment and the social groups WoW let him interact with, Bob seeks out a new thrill to spend his meager entertainment budget on, and he finds it in cheap beer. Bob soon becomes a drunkard. He loses his job. His family leaves him.

But hey! At least WoW is pretty again, right?
    Oh my god, dude, you need to be a script writer for a comedy show. All that leading build-up to the last bit concerning alcoholism was epic. Seriously, that could have been a SNL skit.

If I inherited WoW, I'd do what it's doing now. I might have done the model updates a bit sooner but all-in-all, I wouldn't change that much. Spells need more flare and visual force behind them, yes, but again... I'd do it the way WoW is doing it. Make the increase in visual fidelity to the individuals spells and draw down spells from other players.

Models? I wouldn't give you a choice to go back to the old ones. My artists worked too hard for that to happen and having people operate on two completely different looks of the game is not ideal. Instead I'd give sliders and tweaks to on-screen character displays for NPCs and PCs. This would range from lower texture resolutions on other characters, animation reductions, etc. That way it by and large looks the same but the cost on the hardware is reduced significantly according to player preference.

That all said, Bob could still upgrade his machine for 800-1000 USD and play WoW with the new character models very well with some research and forethought put into it. He doesn't need to buy it all at once, he can take bits and pieces at a given time, and eventually create a machine that puts him leaps over what he was previously playing on. That's why it is wise, if this is something you love, you invest small amounts over time to keep somewhat relevant in the hardware department.

And trust me, as rough as Bob's situation is... he can still do it. Just isn't going to happen all at once because of his financial situation. Not to mention how the hell is Bob playing anyway if he's doing all this overtime and has his hands otherwise full with his family? I'm single and typically work a solid forty hours a week and I find myself at times too busy to really invest in WoW.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2014-01-27 at 08:08 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    Again, if none of you want to put aside money for it and make that happen, then you SHOULD be left behind.
    Let's just reword your argument into what it really is: "Screw everyone else, I want 10% more polygons."

FWIW, based on these posts, I'd rather play with someone who has to run the game on low settings than with you.

I'm going to say the exact opposite is true:

It's completely reasonable for people currently running the game on older hardware to have some expectations that they can continue running the game on that older hardware.

It's not reasonable for people currently exceeding the recommended system requirements to have expectations that the game cater to them specifically at the expense of those running the game on older hardware.

It's also not as if the minimum system requirements don't increase each expansion. I've got an old PC in another room with a GPU that shifted from supported to unsupported in Cataclysm.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Krizak View Post
    Let's talk about a theoretical person named Bob. Bob works a crappy 9-to-5 job to support his family; at least, it's supposed to be 9-to-5, but he ends up having to put in a lot of unpaid overtime to make deadlines. Between rent, utility bills, food, school expenses for his two kids, he doesn't have much money at all for entertainment. He could save up for a few months and buy a new PC game, but all the games released today have requirements far beyond the PC he still has from college. Console games would require investing in, well, a console. But his old rig still runs WoW, and $15 a month? That he can manage. It's actually a lot of entertainment for his money, with new raids coming out periodically, PvPing, questing, all sorts of things to do. It's just a great way to unwind after a grueling day at the office.

But then one day, Mike Morhaime suddenly gets hit by a bus, and a man named Kelliak learns that he was somehow related to the dearly departed Mr. Morhaime, and he has inherited a controlling interest in Blizzard Entertainment. Kelliak wastes no time installing himself at the top of Blizzard's command structure, and he has a new direction for WoW, a brighter, more ELITE future for the game. Graphics artists are hired by the truckload to produce the new, high-resolution graphics that'll cover every inch of the game world, and soon, WoW is indistinguishable from any game produced in the year 2014.

Of course, sacrifices have to be made, and unfortunately, the new WoW just won't run on Bob's old computer. Separated from both his source entertainment and the social groups WoW let him interact with, Bob seeks out a new thrill to spend his meager entertainment budget on, and he finds it in cheap beer. Bob soon becomes a drunkard. He loses his job. His family leaves him.

But hey! At least WoW is pretty again, right?
    As much as I dislike discrimination what you painted is the picture of someone that's poor but who is unable to unwind without WoW with the ONLY other solution being alcoholism. If that's what society's come to it's sad.
    Meanwhile while 'catering' for people that should know better you're keeping a game, that's otherwise pretty great, in the late 90's (yes because when it came out it already looked outdated compared to its peers)
    Do note that:
    1. Graphics fidelity does NOT mean lifelike models and environments
    2. Improving a game's engine or changing it, does NOT mean increasing spec requirements because most engines WILL scale if developed with that in mind.

In essence, blizzard has brainwashed a lot of people into thinking
    1. Their game looks gorgeous
    2. They're doing all that's humanly possible to keep the game great

There's other games out there that will run nicely on your setup and look like they're from 2014. WoW runs nicely only when you give it a ton more processing power than it should for a game with such low poly counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Let's just reword your argument into what it really is: "Screw everyone else, I want 10% more polygons."

FWIW, based on these posts, I'd rather play with someone who has to run the game on low settings than with you.

I'm going to say the exact opposite is true:

It's completely reasonable for people currently running the game on older hardware to have some expectations that they can continue running the game on that older hardware.

It's not reasonable for people currently exceeding the recommended system requirements to have expectations that the game cater to them specifically at the expense of those running the game on older hardware.

It's also not as if the minimum system requirements don't increase each expansion. I've got an old PC in another room with a GPU that shifted from supported to unsupported in Cataclysm.
    You do realize the majority have systems that exceed the recommended system requirements at this point by a significant amount, right? Again, we're not talking about 2k machines. We're talking about machines that run under a thousand dollars that make what these "lower-end" players are using look like they're being ran off of a hamster in a wheel.

So actually, it WOULD be unreasonable for people with machines at the extreme bottom end of the spectrum to expect requirements to stay as they are. It can't happen if Blizzard wants to advance the look of Warcraft and help keep it SOMEWHAT competitive with a growing market.

What is with you guys? You don't need to buy a thousand dollar video card to get the results you need. Get that in your heads. You don't need 32GB of RAM. You don't need the latest processor. You don't even need much of HDD if all you're playing is WoW. It is not this "leap of death" you guys seem to think it is. The spectrum doesn't range from 1999 crapware to BAM 2013 SUPER-SHIZ with nothing in between. I really do not, in any way, get your issue with this.

At some point you have to upgrade, it is inevitable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Airbag888 View Post
    As much as I dislike discrimination what you painted is the picture of someone that's poor but who is unable to unwind without WoW with the ONLY other solution being alcoholism. If that's what society's come to it's sad.
    Meanwhile while 'catering' for people that should know better you're keeping a game, that's otherwise pretty great, in the late 90's (yes because when it came out it already looked outdated compared to its peers)
    Do note that:
    1. Graphics fidelity does NOT mean lifelike models and environments
    2. Improving a game's engine or changing it, does NOT mean increasing spec requirements because most engines WILL scale if developed with that in mind.

In essence, blizzard has brainwashed a lot of people into thinking
    1. Their game looks gorgeous
    2. They're doing all that's humanly possible to keep the game great

There's other games out there that will run nicely on your setup and look like they're from 2014. WoW runs nicely only when you give it a ton more processing power than it should for a game with such low poly counts.
    What are you talking about? WoW has one of the lowest strains on any PC in terms of MMOs.

The reason these people are having problems or concerns with this update is they're running on some seriously ancient hardware. Otherwise they shouldn't be sweating it.

Getting an answer out of Blizzard is like extracting blood from a stone. "Will the old models still be an option for slower PCS?" "UHh we don't know" ... so you've been working on these new models for how many years.. and you still don't know if the old ones will be present as a toggle option? Would it really do them any harm to put peoples minds at rest?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post

What are you talking about? WoW has one of the lowest strains on any PC in terms of MMOs.

The reason these people are having problems or concerns with this update is they're running on some seriously ancient hardware. Otherwise they shouldn't be sweating it.
    I'm talking about how badly optimized WoW's code is. Your fps is linked to the network code, when the net lags/slows down/can't keep up your FPS drops whereas it should go up because you're not feeding new information about the scene. That fact means that even when you upgrade substantially and your internet latency stays the same (not a choice, more like lack of choice) you get crap fps.

Anyway I agree with your points in this thread. What I wish for is blizz scrab their engine and re-do it like triple A studios have been doing it. We keep hearing about how it takes severe programming acrobatics to achieve something in WoW's engine while in others it's just a few sliders to move left or right.

A new engine would also allow them to support a broader range of specs and scale nicely with good hardware keeping everyone happy.
    Instead we get a bunch of new mounts on the cash shop

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    Getting an answer out of Blizzard is like extracting blood from a stone. "Will the old models still be an option for slower PCS?" "UHh we don't know" ... so you've been working on these new models for how many years.. and you still don't know if the old ones will be present as a toggle option? Would it really do them any harm to put peoples minds at rest?
    Totally agreed, I mean they've been burned before by idiots that took everything literally or even made stuff up but it's a minority which they pretend they don't care about so show some balls

Well, I've been told, I guess I'd better give up the hobby I enjoy because I'm too poor. Thanks for that.

Time marches on, fine, I get it.

But I don't see what's wrong with having a model toggle switch. it in no way has a negative impact on all the people who can run it.
    Last edited by Aesahaettr; 2014-01-27 at 09:21 AM.

Looking at the new human model they left nothing of the old version in tact. It's a completely new model with a new look. I hope they don't screw up night elves :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Farora View Post
    Looking at the new human model they left nothing of the old version in tact. It's a completely new model with a new look. I hope they don't screw up night elves :/
    Screw up? The old human models just rubbish looking for a 2014 game, they have blown all expectations with the new models.
    Only thing they did was uplift the texture & increase the polygons.
    http://i.imgur.com/VaIphPC.gif

I don't see how anyone can complain about the models, or do you people complain about every good change?
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    Screw up? The old human models just rubbish looking for a 2014 game, they have blown all expectations with the new models.
    Only thing they did was uplift the texture & increase the polygons.
    http://i.imgur.com/VaIphPC.gif

I don't see how anyone can complain about the models, or do you people complain about every good change?
    Did I hurt the fanboys feelings? My point is that Blizzards goal was to keep the look and feel in tact, they didn't succeed with that. The female gnome and human look like they are from another game. Yes the models look good for todays standards, just not like they are related to the originals.

Deleted
    Did I hurt the fanboys feelings? My point is that Blizzards goal was to keep the look and feel in tact, they didn't succeed with that. The female gnome and human look like they are from another game. Yes the models look good for todays standards, just not like they are related to the originals.
    I have to respectfully disagree. As I see it, the new models so far have really kept the soul of the old ones only adding more detail and life. It sounds like by your standards they shouldn't have changed at all, and what would the point of updating them be, if they would still have that old and out of date look?
    Last edited by mmoc3e2a45e3d3; 2014-01-27 at 09:57 AM.

Models look good by todays standard?? What you haven't played any games at all since 2008?

Models look good by todays standard?? What you haven't played any games at all since 2008?
    I'm sure that super photorealistic models would look great in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    The game is about the gameplay not the game graphics,you dont sit there thinking "WOW THAT GAME LOOKED GREAT,SO GREAT I HAD NO IDEA WHAT I DID ON THE END BOSS!" no you remember it for the things you do in game regardless of graphics,tbh i prefer shitty graphics to this ultra realism crap,i would rather play Tomb Raider one on PS1 than the new tomb raiders. And compare GTA Vice City's cartoony graphics to GTA 4 and 5s,i bet you remember more things about Vice City and like it better same as me.

Back when EQ released the Luclin expansion, they offered the option on a race-gender basis to use old or new models for the player races. A number of people were attached to the old models and didn't want to use the new ones. I don't see any real reason why the same thing can't happen here.

That said, I really like what I'm seeing so far. My first character and my current main are both human females. I'd love to see how they'd look with the new models. I don't see how this model looks anything close to waifish. Looking at the comparison shots, they're pretty much exactly the same (the lower legs seem slightly more slender, and the body all-around seems more toned because of the new texture). I'm anxious to see what the orc females will look like.

This change is about 1 thing: boobs

Blizz's target audience is noticing too which is their goal.

Deleted
    Prolly impossible but Mantle would rock for Wow, seeing how good it is for low end CPUs.

Deleted
    blood elf model !

I am going to be extremely disappointed, if Blizzard lets the loud and obnoxious community fuck up yet another feature that looks perfectly fine.

The models look amazing so far, and they've done a damned good job keeping them close to the original.
    Just because people don't want to update their 10 year old PC's, doesn't mean the rest of us should suffer so that they can continue to not opgrading their computers.
    If you don't know how to handle money, you shouldn't be paying a monthly fee for a game to begin with.

I'm talking about how badly optimized WoW's code is. Your fps is linked to the network code, when the net lags/slows down/can't keep up your FPS drops whereas it should go up because you're not feeding new information about the scene. That fact means that even when you upgrade substantially and your internet latency stays the same (not a choice, more like lack of choice) you get crap fps.

Anyway I agree with your points in this thread. What I wish for is blizz scrab their engine and re-do it like triple A studios have been doing it. We keep hearing about how it takes severe programming acrobatics to achieve something in WoW's engine while in others it's just a few sliders to move left or right.

A new engine would also allow them to support a broader range of specs and scale nicely with good hardware keeping everyone happy.
    Instead we get a bunch of new mounts on the cash shop

- - - Updated - - -

Totally agreed, I mean they've been burned before by idiots that took everything literally or even made stuff up but it's a minority which they pretend they don't care about so show some balls
    So much this. Case in point, I had a family member who recently broke down and upgraded their pc from 2006. 2006! Because his wow client would lock up while trying to run recount in current raid content. That is absolutely beyond pathetic, but that's the crowd that's sweating bullets over this change. If you aren't at least willing to upgrade your computer every eight freakin' years, you may just need to consider a new pass time, no offense.