Deleted
    So my 290 arrived last week:

I went to install it and...

Damn, rookie mistake. Fast forward to yesterday morning and this arrived from Amazon:

After the case swap:

Cable management is a lot easier in this thing so I tried to keep it as clean as I could:

I added some AF 120 LEDs in the top to try and add some subtle lighting, might be a bit too subtle, might try and sort something else out another time:

Closed up and powered on:

Since this card allows me to use 4 monitors I brought the monitor I replaced with the 27" out of retirement, shot of the full setup:

Night shot:

And in case someone calls me out on it, yes the monitor on the top right is upside down and yes that is intentional (this way the viewing angle is better and the power button is on top instead of on the monitor below it).

For now the PC is kind of hidden away between the desk and the bed so not taking advantage of the window and such, but I have a plan in mind to sort out a better desk that should sort that out and hopefully won't take too long to happen.

(sorry for cell phone quality pictures, but I don't often need a camera so that is the best I have.)

Deleted
    Nice upgrades, 750D? Looks good (and big)

Time to update your signature.

I like the looks of that 750D.. Makes my R4 feel .. inadequate ... and im sure there are a few xCoin miners that are jelly of that card. Anyone have any insight as to why miners are all over the AMD cards, and not nVidia ones (from what I've gathered so far, just learning about the whole coin mining thing, as I don't pay much mind to.. "Fads").
    | i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz | Asus Z97 Pro Gamer | 32Gigs Kingston FuryX 1866 RAM | Kingston Predator M.2 240Gig SSD | 4x Intel 320 Series SATA II RAID 0 | Samsung 850 Pro OS X Drive | WD Red 1TB Media Drive | NVidia GTX 960 | Noctua NH-D15 | Dell S2340 IPS | Fractal Design Define R4 |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravewyrm View Post
    I like the looks of that 750D.. Makes my R4 feel .. inadequate ... and im sure there are a few xCoin miners that are jelly of that card. Anyone have any insight as to why miners are all over the AMD cards, and not nVidia ones (from what I've gathered so far, just learning about the whole coin mining thing, as I don't pay much mind to.. "Fads").
    In short Nvidia cards don't yield anywhere near the same as equivalent AMD card.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Nice upgrades, 750D? Looks good (and big)

Time to update your signature.
    Knew there was something I meant to do, updated now

And yes 750D

I'm guessing its the raw Compute values they have vs NVidia. AMD / ATI has always held a solid spot in the "Professional" bracket, with the Fire Pro and such, so, would make sense, I 'spose.
    | i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz | Asus Z97 Pro Gamer | 32Gigs Kingston FuryX 1866 RAM | Kingston Predator M.2 240Gig SSD | 4x Intel 320 Series SATA II RAID 0 | Samsung 850 Pro OS X Drive | WD Red 1TB Media Drive | NVidia GTX 960 | Noctua NH-D15 | Dell S2340 IPS | Fractal Design Define R4 |

Deleted
    I'm guessing its the raw Compute values they have vs NVidia. AMD / ATI has always held a solid spot in the "Professional" bracket, with the Fire Pro and such, so, would make sense, I 'spose.
    Can ask (comment) more into this in this thread.

ahh, cool ty

10+ Year Old Account
    It's more about power consumption, or so I heard.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    It's more about power consumption, or so I heard.
    No it is not, Nvidia cards use less power but CUDA is not as good for SHA256 or Scrypt hashing.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    No it is not, Nvidia cards use less power but CUDA is not as good for SHA256 or Scrypt hashing.
    Well I read a bunch of forum posts where they were calculating profit from power usage perspective, not about calculations performance.
    PM me weird stuff :3

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nice upgrades but the four mismatched monitors is driving me nuts. >_<
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Nice upgrades but the four mismatched monitors is driving me nuts. >_<
    I tried a few other configurations before I settled on this one, including setting up the two 1440x900 monitors vertically at either side of the main one but it wasn't really practical with this desk (nowhere to put the 1600x900, I could try it above the main one but that seems too high) and eyefinity seems a little broken atm, the one that is at the top right now kept disconnecting and reconnecting every few seconds as soon as I activated it, until I reverted back to extended desktop (I hope it is just the mantle beta drivers causing it).

So far this seems to be the most practical configuration with this desk (though I still might try something else) and the monitors are so mismatched due to these being just what I had to hand, before I got the 27" I was using the three others for eyefinity. Though the temptation is there to at some point get two more monitors the same as the main one (the version with DisplayPort though).

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd personally never want to use TN panels along with IPS... the difference is too obvious. I'm actually pretty happy being back on single monitor... the ASUS MX239H is a gorgeous IPS monitor. Do you really truly need 4 monitors? What do you use them all for?
    "A flower.

Deleted
    I'd personally never want to use TN panels along with IPS... the difference is too obvious. I'm actually pretty happy being back on single monitor... the ASUS MX239H is a gorgeous IPS monitor. Do you really truly need 4 monitors? What do you use them all for?
    Honestly no I don't need 4, the way I see it I need 2 as personally I really don't like the idea of going back to a single monitor (I can understand why some people might prefer it, but it is not for me). Monitors 3 and 4 are basically just for fun and I like having them, but it would be no big loss going back to 2 or 3.

What I typically use the for is Gaming (and the occasional movie) on the main one, YouTube and TV shows on the left one, Web browser on top right and bottom right is kind of miscellaneous (chat windows/teamspeak/steam/battle.net client/second browser sometimes/and a couple of others as needed). There is no reason I couldn't condense that down to 2 monitors if I wanted to but as I said I just like having more than that.

As for the mixed panel types, while the PLS monitor is clearly superior and the difference is obvious, I don't have a problem with keeping the TN panels next to it as long as they positioned properly, particularly for the top right one as that one looks really bad if the viewing angle is off.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm actually pretty happy being back on single monitor...
    Same, there are only a few occasions where i miss having a second. Like watching a stream or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    Same, there are only a few occasions where i miss having a second. Like watching a stream or something.
    Aye. Or the 3 hour long Polaris podcast. But only being once a week makes it pretty easy to watch and I can always just watch the YouTube of it, able to pause it and such. With all of my Skyriming lately, I'd much prefer focusing on one or the other and not trying to pay attention to both at the same time.
    "A flower.

Oh right, in other news my C70 and RM1000 arrived. I'd take pictures, but I only got to really get them out of the box and all after the time was past 5 PM, so there was no way I had light to take pictures of it.

But do expect some tomorrow. No other bits in there yet though, since the "server" that I have that I'm taking parts from was locked away in a room where the owner was away at the time of trying to fetch it...

10+ Year Old Account
    You're starting to make me think Norway doesn't use artificial lights... at all. Don't you have lamps in your house?

Though, I do realize natural light is far nicer.
    "A flower.

You're starting to make me think Norway doesn't use artificial lights... at all. Don't you have lamps in your house?

Though, I do realize natural light is far nicer.
    Natural light is not only much nicer, it's orders of magnitude easier to work with. No mixed light colors, no awkward setup, you just need a nearby window.