Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    bring a tanking buddy, who can tell you what to do and if you are doing it wrong.
    Ignore all the idiots, try to find the ones in chat trying to help you.
    If you have done that for a week or two, you should have enough confidence in what you are doing, to not feel bad about the idiots, who always try to blame everything on the tank.
    And then its just finding the other group players and talk about how to improve the group performance (including yours) and ignoring/kicking everyone, who trys to use lfr for his daily testosteron kick.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Sometimes when I tank on my main my offtank whispers me that he's new to the whole thing and asks if there are any strategies to know. I explain the little stuff he has to do each boss (even make him tank Rook since he's the easiest) and he manages to do so flawlessly, maybe you can do the same.

On one of my first SoO 3rd wing run I didn't know tacs aswell, asked the other tank for tacs and helped me out kindly.

Quote Originally Posted by bach0r View Post
    1. raid chat off and don't care.
    Feels like 90% of the LFr playerbase stands in fire with their raidchat and addons off.

If you can't handle the abuse, don't LFR at all. =/ Find a guild that does flex and just learn it one encounter at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    You are certain to receive negative feedback (both accurate and wildly inaccurate) but unlikely to receive a lot of positive "It was great not dying with you" feedback.

If it bothers you when people insult you, you should stay the hell away from tanking LFR. People will insult you, and they will never compliment you. (Because good tanking is boring for everyone except the tank.)

But if you can ignore what people say, go for it. LFR needs more tanks!
    You know there was a time when tanks were complimented in PUG's (mainly 5 mans and raidpugs = before LFR). Why were they complimented then? Well I dunno.... maybe because tanking nowadays is a complete joke and anyone with half a brain should be able to hold agro and catch all mobs coming at the group.

That said, that is basically it for LFD. LFR you need to know when to taunt (if there is a tankswitch) or where to move when XYZ happens. Not very hard either. If you do have fights where you need to work together with another tank. Please take the time to actually COMMUNICATE with the other tank. And if it takes longer then 10/20 seconds, COMMUNICATE this to the raid, so you won't get yelled at for taking your damn time and will usually prevent ninja pullers.

So if you are a tank - please PREPARE before the fight = knowing the fight and communicating with another tank if needed

If you follow this advice you will rarely get yelled at. Perhaps even complimented

Don't do LFR. Train in Dungeons and then go flexes. Avoid LFR at all cost.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Whisper your co-tank as soon as you get in, check you're both familiar with the fights; be friendly to your other tank and they will be friendly back. The main reason raid rages at tanks is because the tanks do'nt communicate with each other and it causes a wipe (taunting for tank swaps primarily)
    This, right here. It has been my experience that either they will completely ignore you, or just give you a quick rundown of the important parts that tanks need to do. (a couple have been a little of both). Big thing I asked was "How many stacks do I taunt?" Once you get that, it's easy-peasy.

Look at your dungeon journal too as suggested. Big thing to look out for is the Tank warnings. Just be aware of those.

You have seen the fights already, which for people like me, makes a WORLD of difference than watching a video. That, and when you watch a video they do it one way, but when you get in there, it's completely different (I.E. Shammy twins in SoO).

Just go in, whisper the other tank (hope they've been in there before-LOL) and do your best. Right now, it's a nuke fest in ToT, Some strats that were necessary when it first came out are not being used anymore.

Tanking effectively in LFR requires 3 very simple things. If you do them, you will not get abuse. The people who complain about being abused do not do them. They are:

1) Learn your single target and AoE rotations.
    2) learn the fight mechanics (not via Dungeon Journal, but detailed websites like Icy Veins, Wowhead, here). Dungeon journal gives you a very high level overview, but misses a lot of details that really help you know what to do. The Journal is great if you are on a guild run, and want to "learn" a fight. Players in LFR, however, have the expectation that you already know the fight.
    3) talk with the other tank to make sure you are doing the same strategy. Many fights have multiple strategies. So get aligned with your other tank.

If you want to go "above and beyond", in addition to all the above, check out some videos so you can see what certain boss abilities look like. Do that, and chances are that you will get praised for being awesome.
    Last edited by yjmark; 2014-02-10 at 11:27 AM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokoz View Post
    Go ahead and tank it.. Honestly when I first started tanking and people would rage at me i'd ignore em and if they kicked me I could careless. Instant-queues for the win. Honestly it's better to not talk at all cause they will use anything against you to get you kicked..
    This, the best way to learn how to tank is by tanking.
    Just go in, turn chat off and learn from your mistakes.
    If you get kicked out, just requeue, instant queue anyway.

Deleted
    Thanks for the info all - Tried out that VEM addon, its SO much better than DBM for me (as a Tank) As I can't see adds, etc when I got a 30ft tall boss wailing away at me

Did a run in LFR as a tank and was smooth sailing - (Was in MSV and had a brilliant time!) Nice and smooth run, kept aggro well and didnt balls up on any of the fights.

Thanks again for the info - am now a more confident tank who will hopefully be able to get into some Flex Raids and get to go 1 on 1 with Garrosh and finally get my BoA wepon & Shield

Deleted
    get VEM, you can tank without even looking at the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    You know there was a time when tanks were complimented in PUG's (mainly 5 mans and raidpugs = before LFR). Why were they complimented then? Well I dunno.... maybe because tanking nowadays is a complete joke and anyone with half a brain should be able to hold agro and catch all mobs coming at the group.

That said, that is basically it for LFD. LFR you need to know when to taunt (if there is a tankswitch) or where to move when XYZ happens. Not very hard either. If you do have fights where you need to work together with another tank. Please take the time to actually COMMUNICATE with the other tank. And if it takes longer then 10/20 seconds, COMMUNICATE this to the raid, so you won't get yelled at for taking your damn time and will usually prevent ninja pullers.

So if you are a tank - please PREPARE before the fight = knowing the fight and communicating with another tank if needed

If you follow this advice you will rarely get yelled at. Perhaps even complimented
    I've not played in over a month now but when I was playing the best advise you can give is to just simply read up on the tactics/ watch a video. As long as you know what buttons to press for your cooldowns and your tanking rotation/priority then you should be fine.

Once i've seen a fight once as a tank thats it I know what I am doing and get on with it. Did LFR SoO only once have I been raged at, and that was my 1st go on the scorpion boss which name I forget at present!

If you do ever get raged at just remember, your queue is vastly shorter than 99% of the raids.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hughja View Post
    Hello all,

Am looking at Tanking in LFR Throne of Thunder and Siege of Orgrimmar but am a bit dubious of it as I have seen the potential abuse that Tanks get and/or the just plain lack of Knowledge of fights and mechanics.

I have been doing runs in LFR (as DPS) while specced for Prot loot, also been doing runs with my guild in normal MSV (just to get my confidence up)

Would anyone have any suggestions and or what addons I would need to do the following

1. Be able to tank effectively
    2. Help the other members of the raid
    3. Not screw up fights

Unfortunately I am unable to post a link to my character - Hughja on Chamber of Secrets as I have not posted enough yet
    I tank with no addons and I am still a good LFR tank. You just need a bit more self-confidence and there is no addon for that. As for the abuse, it's part of the game. You will have to learn to live with it and not care so much about abusive players.

Nobody "abuses" tanks period.

When tanks are criticized it's because they made a mistake. As long as you know he placement and whisper your other tank you should have no issues. If the off tank isn't listening then get the raid to kick.

If you go in unprepared you fully deserve any criticism you receive, but you personally should encounter not issues.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Téuntjûh View Post
    This, the best way to learn how to tank is by tanking.
    Just go in, turn chat off and learn from your mistakes.
    If you get kicked out, just requeue, instant queue anyway.
    How about you don't fuck over 24 others, and prepare ahead of time?

Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    I've not played in over a month now but when I was playing the best advise you can give is to just simply read up on the tactics/ watch a video. As long as you know what buttons to press for your cooldowns and your tanking rotation/priority then you should be fine.

Once i've seen a fight once as a tank thats it I know what I am doing and get on with it. Did LFR SoO only once have I been raged at, and that was my 1st go on the scorpion boss which name I forget at present!

If you do ever get raged at just remember, your queue is vastly shorter than 99% of the raids.
    Haha I saw you playing SCII!

I'm mostly off again due to having a puppy Labrador - which needs all my attention. I need to grind myself to exalted with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Haha I saw you playing SCII!

I'm mostly off again due to having a puppy Labrador - which needs all my attention. I need to grind myself to exalted with him.
    I heard cooked chicken is a good rep gain!

Yeh done some SC2 MP again was gold a while back on verge of hitting plat then stopped. Did a game and got into silver straight away. Had a few fun games. My macro and Micro are woeful atm got schooled by a terran player, the last zerg opponent had me by the throat but I broke his siege and just doom dropped all my remaining marines into his drone lines XD desperation move

As for giscoicus, ive been on the wrong end of said "abuse" I asked if my positioning for the boss was ok (took it from an online video guide) no one in raid reply other than "PULL" I pulled and raid wiped as the way I was facing was the way they all decided to run to. It was from one guy and it was the usual "Retard noob etc". annoyed me but I got over it. It was the 1st and only time ive been openly flamed for something i've done in game in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hughja View Post
    Hello all,
    Am looking at Tanking in LFR Throne of Thunder and Siege of Orgrimmar but am a bit dubious of it as I have seen the potential abuse that Tanks get and/or the just plain lack of Knowledge of fights and mechanics.
    As you already done LFR, you should know people get abuse all the time in LFR. Low DPS? Kicked. Low HPS? Kicked. Stood in fire? Kicked. Since you are already familiar with the environment, just go ahead and tank it. Deal with the abuse as you would have as a DPS or healer. Ignore them.

As a tank, you should find new groups quicker than they can find a replacement tank if they ever kicked you.

As for lack of knowledge, just do what you have done normally. Read up on the fight from your preferred online resource.

Quote Originally Posted by kinneer View Post
    As you already done LFR, you should know people get abuse all the time in LFR. Low DPS? Kicked. Low HPS? Kicked. Stood in fire? Kicked. Since you are already familiar with the environment, just go ahead and tank it. Deal with the abuse as you would have as a DPS or healer. Ignore them.

As a tank, you should find new groups quicker than they can find a replacement tank if they ever kicked you.

As for lack of knowledge, just do what you have done normally. Read up on the fight from your preferred online resource.
    Confused how removing somebody for being deadweight is abusing them. They are underperforming and hindering the group.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, this is the reason I respecced DPS when I recently returned to the game. Not because I'm scared of abuse or hurt feelings, but because I didn't want to explain that it was my first time doing x boss or deal with rage and being kicked. DPS is more forgiving.

If you know even one aspect of the fight, you'll be fine in LFR. Tank swaps are very forgiving in LFR typically.

Another thing you can do is whisper the other tank when you zone in and explain it's your first time. Most tanks are more than willing to help their counterpart, especially if they show they care about not failing.