Thread: Voice acting?

Wink Voice acting?

I'm having trouble finding this info. Is there lots of voice acting in GW2? Are quests voiced over or is it mostly reading? Thanks.

The personal story is all voice acted.

Outside of that, a lot of the voice work is by the NPC's in the open world (no cut scenes)

10+ Year Old Account
    Most dialogue is done with voice over.
    What is worth fighting for?

Quote Originally Posted by Horrid Crow View Post
    Most dialogue is done with voice over.
    Awesome, thanks so much! A game with mostly voice acting for quests, etc really gets me immersed.

10+ Year Old Account
    The game launched with over 60 feature films worth of voice acting, they add more every 2 weeks.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Sylvari female is voiced by Jennifer Hale, who also voiced Bastila Shan (KotoR), female Shepard (Mass Effect) and female Trooper (SWTOR). I think this is enough of indication that there is no problem with voice acting in this game! ;-)

well there are three components to great voice acting, first is the actors. GW2 has some big names in the voice acting business so that is not an issue. 2nd and 3rd is the writing and directing. I feel those two is where GW2 is very hit and miss. Also the presentation also counts for a lot. The way the cut scenes in the personal story work it takes you out of the game, kind of jarring, and then sets up the two actors voicing their lines. There is no visual context to their scene and that does affect the perception of the voice acting.

Deleted
    I think that voice acting might be even as fun as lore writing! I'd like to try both in future :3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    GW2 has some big names in the voice acting business so that is not an issue. 2nd and 3rd is the writing and directing. I feel those two is where GW2 is very hit and miss.
    Many people complained about the texts in GW2 written poorly, as in any MMO. I, however, didn't notice it at all. At least, in the beginning of Sylvari story both voice acting and texts are outstanding, similar to those in story-based games, like KotoR.

But, then, I find VA in SWTOR terrible, while most people don't. So...

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Many people complained about the texts in GW2 written poorly, as in any MMO. I, however, didn't notice it at all. At least, in the beginning of Sylvari story both voice acting and texts are outstanding, similar to those in story-based games, like KotoR.

But, then, I find VA in SWTOR terrible, while most people don't. So...
    I'm not really talking about the text in the game when referring to the writing. It is the writing for the voice work, specifically for the personal story voice work that I'm talking about which is hit and miss.