Poll: Why do you think TESO is a good game?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Why do you think TESO is a good game?

Since i created the "Why do you think TESO is a bad game?" thread i felt i needed to balance the scales. So we recently had the open beta weekend. Press NDA was lifted so we could see some more footage and a lot of people that were sceptic actually got to play the beta to form a decent opinion. So did I.

I enjoyed the beta quite alot. Exploring was rewarding, i found chests, NPC's, merchants, nodes, etc.
    The crafting system is one of the best out there at the moment, i remember creating a topic about why crafting wasnt a bigger part in gaming a while ago, this is kind of on par with what i wanted to see.
    Questing felt more part of a bigger story, on the other hand, how many ways are there to present a quest really?
    I didn't experience PvP myself, but from what i've seen and heard so far, it's epic.
    Graphics are just amazing. You can judge the artstyle, but graphic wise this is the best looking MMO out there.
    Mobs were actually "hard' as in: Get 3 or more on you and you are dead. I believe i tried Crows something for 2h after deciding i needed to level up. Eventhough its frustrating at first, a game shoulnd be handheld easymode.
    Skills are very diverse and builds can be whatever you like it to be. A bow wielding paladin? Sure. A staff using DK? Go right ahead. I wonder if i can just spec in trade things though so i can make a crafting char, that would be nice.

I also get where alot of negativity is coming from now. This is not WoW. TESO mainly seems to be about the journey, immersion and customisation. Playing the way you want it to play. For me, this a fresh new look on MMO's, as Swtor, GW2, Rift and all the other MMO's seem to be WoW clones where the focus is on getting to the end and gearing up. I understand how the variable interval reward that is gear is intended to keep audiance playing, but TESO seems to use discovery as the variable interval reward which is just refreshing and appealing to me.

Regarding the Cost for the game i can only say that i eat out once every month with my GF, which costs me 5x more for 3-4 hours of fun. The fun/cost ratio on this game will be alot lower than that so even if it costed 30 bucks a month, i would probably play it till i got sick of it.

All in all i think TESO will do well, its refreshing in many ways compaired to the grind and raid MMO's of the last decade. Skyrim sold over 20 million copies, if they even grasp 10% of that playerbase, plus the people that arent ES fans in the first place, this game with easily break 3 million sales. Ofcourse the game will have bugs and imbalances at first, but remember WoW is still nerfing and boosting on a weekly basis, and they had 8 years to iron out imperfections.

So you read (or u just came here for the poll) my part of the story, whats ur's? Why do you think TESO is a good game?
    Last edited by mmoc9478eb6901; 2014-02-13 at 10:30 PM.

Deleted
    Can't we just have a "your impression on TESO ?" thread ?

...or just rename the old one, because even the other one has become more of a discussion than a one sided argument.

Deleted
    Can't we just have a "your impression on TESO ?" thread ?

...or just rename the old one, because even the other one has become more of a discussion than a one sided argument.
    I would be fine with merging threads and creating a 20 option poll, but i think poll only goes to 15

I really like the crafting system. Not quite as good as the system Vanguard had, but better than WoWs or SWTORs.
    Yub Yub

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    I would be fine with merging threads and creating a 20 option poll, but i think poll only goes to 15
    I really think that saying what we like or dislike about TESO needs more than 1 line in a poll anyway.
    You too apparently since your OP is pretty long

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Neow View Post
    I really think that saying what we like or dislike about TESO needs more than 1 line in a poll anyway.
    You too apparently since your OP is pretty long
    In essence its all there :P

Deleted
    I dont think its a good game, I think its average, but there aspects I liked.

I think the skills were quite interesting, and offered a wide array to build your character to your playstyle.

The areas looks pretty nice, the theme was pretty good artwise.

Quests were reasonably interesting as these things go, but a bit long and unrewarding in the chains.

The races had some interesting options,I liked argonians, however I did detect a fair amount of "swtor effect" in the creator, many races looked very very similar base models, with only a couple really standing out as being different.

I like the IDEA of exploring and chests etc, but with loot shared, its frustrating for other players to get there first. I like the lack of mob tagging, but wonder why quest items/kills are not shared also....

Its a game of contradictions!, some good aspects in an otherwise mediocre game.

All these answers, except the last one..!

I really like the crafting system
    It's all right, didn't get to see to much of it though

I like the combat
    Yup, could have a wee bit more weight in melee and a bit more impact but it felt slightly better than skyrim/olivion

The questing feels non-linear and fresh
    It's questing...nothing special, wouldn't really matter about the implementation, someone will always bitch about it(to many kill X mobs or just go for point x to y and back)

I think the PvP is great
    Never tried it, PvP isn't something i like to much in games though the 100 vs 100 they are touting looks fun

I'm all about the immersion
    Plenty of lore there is you're interested, i skipped it though, i'll wait until release

I think the game looks good graphically
    Yes...yes it does look good, contrary to the whiners it's bloody good looking for an mmo

I like to explore
    Yup, i didn't explore to much in the beta but some things caught my eye and i went a wandering

I like to customize my character, TESO gives me alot of options
    Didn't really see anything special but then i wasn't looking

I watched a gameplay video of the lvl 12-14 dungeons in ESO..then I watched a gameplay video of RAGEFIRE CHASM in WoW. That is why I like ESO. Go try it yourself.

It seems to be offering almost everything that I want in a modern MMO. I care for my character's journey as much as I care for the ultimate destination. I also like PvP that allows you to complete quests and fight over objectives in a strategic manner. I'm also very impressed with the design of the character models, since the Altmer are very much to my tastes! I'm hoping the Imperials will be a pleasant surprise as well once we get a proper look at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesius Baelthar View Post
    It seems to be offering almost everything that I want in a modern MMO. I care for my character's journey as much as I care for the ultimate destination. I also like PvP that allows you to complete quests and fight over objectives in a strategic manner. I'm also very impressed with the design of the character models, since the Altmer are very much to my tastes! I'm hoping the Imperials will be a pleasant surprise as well once we get a proper look at them.
    Was typing something similar but going to quote you instead.

Furthermore, I really like the combat system, while some animations seem stiff, it's fresh for me (Haven't played TERA, and it improved on the things that I liked in GW2, while making it even more action-based).
    Character building is amazing, and possibly the best I've seen in an MMO, with hundreds of meaningful decisions to be made.
    Lastly, it differs from WoW. I've been a WoW fan since 2005, but it just doesn't work for me anymore. Also, while the trinity is there (no more GW2 PvE fiasco) there are things that can be done that differ from the generic heeps/deeps/tank.

The combat system, once you get past about lvl5 opens out quite a bit. Spending a few points in your key skills and a few more to support you weapon choice(s) gives quite a bit of variety. Control felt pretty good. Playing as a dragon knight (read death knight for easy explanation):

"death grip" (harpoon) an opponent over.
    Knock them down (for 3-4 seconds).
    Put a fire dot on the next dude as he runs up.
    Pull the remaining caster over with another harpoon.
    Do a "big" standard attack on the first guy while he's getting up.
    Block a big (signaled) attack from the guy you put the fire dot on.
    Knock over the second guy you pulled in.
    Do a big standard attack on the guy you blocked while he's stunned from you blocking his big attack (knocks him down).
    Finish the first guy with a multi-stabby attack.
    Finish the second guy with a few standard attacks and another multi-stabby attack.
    Knock the 3rd guy over again, stick a big attack in while he's getting up and mash a couple of standard attacks in to finish him off.

All possible while taking negligible damage. The combat REALLY flows once you get familiar with it and drop some points into useful skills. I enjoyed it immensely. Didn't get to do much proper tanking in a group but that's effectively how the "tanking" can almost work, it's not a passive "stand there and use abilities to mitigate damage" it's about movement, control and helping the group finish off key opponents.

Also - rolling or jumping out from key signaled attacks feels good, you'll be able to pretty quickly spot the good players and the switched on tanks.

(if you watch some of the vids from the likes of tamriel foundry you'll see their DK (dragonknight) tank doing quite a bit of the same.)

Crafting:
    Not sure how much has been covered from press released info so I'll stay vague to honour the NDA (what's left of it).
    Let's just say that it requires and rewards investment. You don't get instant mass of useless recipes, it's very ES in style with basic items having specific augmentations that tailor how they work then an enchantment laid over the top.

Questing and exploration:
    At pretty much any point you want, just run off into an unexplored area, look for the black coloured location markers (exactly as per skyrim) and head towards them. You'll see quest markers pop up on the same nav bar and you're into sorting a new areas problems out or solving a new mystery. It's seriously NOT linear once you get beyond about 30 minutes of play. If you see reviews bewailing the "on rails" nature of things the dude is putting zero effort into earning his pay check.

I could go on but I'll start to sound a bit fanboyish. It REALLY deserves a proper look at the game though, screw the "average" reviews and put some personal effort into checking if it's for you.
    Last edited by mercutiouk; 2014-02-14 at 02:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

10+ Year Old Account
    The leveling immersion is great and crafting is good too. Those are really the only things that I really liked.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    I like the IDEA of exploring and chests etc, but with loot shared, its frustrating for other players to get there first. I like the lack of mob tagging, but wonder why quest items/kills are not shared also....
    Yeah i agree with this. Perhaps they can instance this loot to players. Imagine 500k players going for 1 treasure map chest lol. And alot of recipes seem to come from houses and stuff, it sucked that those actually have to be camped for hours.

Deleted
    Why do we need 100.000 teso threads?

Deleted
    TBh I picked all options except PvP (haven't tried it yet).
    For someone who is fan of both: mmos and single player TES games, ESO is near perfect game.
    How long I will play it after release depends of course of endgame activities and pace of new content (I won't pay for boredom like in Wow atm even if I love this game lore)

Deleted
    oh god no ... please not another thread
    Isn't the megathread and the rant-thread already enough?

One for the people who genuinely want to discuss the different aspects of the game and one for the "OMG TESO SUXX"-crowd to vent their hatred.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantji View Post
    oh god no ... please not another thread
    Isn't the megathread and the rant-thread already enough?

One for the people who genuinely want to discuss the different aspects of the game and one for the "OMG TESO SUXX"-crowd to vent their hatred.
    Yeah agreed.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    The thread count will just increase exponentially until release in April. I would recommend ESO get its own sandbox area on MMO champs anyway, because its going to be around for awhile and the posts will be coming in hot and heavy.

First post here after lurking for years...just have to chime in on this game and discussion.

Agree with everything Shiift said in the OP. I don't know why there is so much hate and negativism about this game on this forum. The game is what it is and people are free not to play it. I can only guess that many mmo players are really bored lately and so want their version of the next bestest mmo ever....maybe this offering is not their version of it?

I've been a wow player since late BC and only just cancelled my subscription due to utter boredom. Actually haven't played much since cleaning up timeless isle and even resubbed SWTOR for a month (gasp! I know right? desperate times), tried Rift and Tera, just trying to find filler. I won't say much about the ESO beta because of NDA but I have bought the digital CE version already and I'm actually excited about it. And i will say this, being a mouse clicker and used to tab targetting etc, the game was not a good first impression and quite an adjustment...but I persevered and kept an open mind, and like a lot of others have said (publicly available in video reviews and such) by level 10 or so it all clicked. I'm stoked to start playing this thing in April.