Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Lightbulb Just realized Ashkandi is in the TBC Cinematic.

Hey there dear community,

I know this isn't big news, or that it warrants a thread of its own, but it's just a curiosity that I completely overlooked over the years that i've watched and rewatched the TBC cinematic.

I was watching it again today and realized that the warrior orc's weapon is in fact Ashkandi (from BWL).

Like i said, nothing major but just a fun thing that lots of ppl might have missed. Kind of makes the player relate to the scene because lots of us entered TBC using such weapon.

here is the screenie:

It might be more visible in the previous/next frame but you get the picture. I included the timeline so you can check for yourself.

Have fun all.

Regards,

Holyfanny - Twisting Nether | EU | Horde

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kassy View Post
    always thought that was the ZG sword :/
    i always looked at it as being a generic random sword that wasn't based of anything in-game.
    This time i was paying more attention and damn...there it was! ^_^

10+ Year Old Account
    well alot of people were playing back then and would've had ashkandi so it makes sense for them to put weapons people wouldve had going into the expansion.

also its a damn cool looking sword
    Hi

Deleted
    ASSCANDY! Most badass improbable and unpratical weapon in the history of warcraft

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairchild View Post
    ASSCANDY! Most badass improbable and unpratical weapon in the history of warcraft
    Idd XD But it's still one of the coolest weapons in game!

Deleted
    It effectively is Ashkandi, wouldn't ever have noticed it without this thread lol

also its a damn cool looking sword
    To me the original Ashkandi is ugly. I used to like it when I was younger but as all of the vanilla gear, I realise how bad it is now and no longer understand all the hype around it's skin (I do understand it was a pretty rare drop and a good weapon at the time though)

Aside from it's textures, a blade clipping through the ground being ridiculously tall doesn't appeal me anymore.
    The one that loots on BWD is far better IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickyz View Post
    Idd XD But it's still one of the coolest weapons in game!
    No wai. Turning Tide is the coolest looking wep in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty bummed that the Cata version is so much lamer looking than the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    No wai. Turning Tide is the coolest looking wep in the game.
    I can't hear you over the unbridled glory that is Volcanospike.

Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

So an Orc using the weapon of a human hero?
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox2042 View Post
    Ahh, WoW, the game that gives cosplayers a reason to dress up like medieval fantasy hookers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe you're forgetting something....

“Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Zexism View Post
    Well, yeah. A human hero is the equivalent of a level 10 orc peon, so I don't see anything wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zexism View Post
    The initials may mark A.L., but make no mistake - Ashkandi is an orc's weapon.

Yup, I recognized it the very morning I returned from my line at 12am at Walmart on the day of release, and was delighted to see it's powerfulful visage cutting through a naga like a warm knife through butter on a summer night. Fantastic cut scene and I hope to see more random player characters used in the WOD cinematic mixed with the amazing and larger than life collection of Warchiefs and species living in the Draenor of old if possible.

The ENTIRE POINT of Warcraft being an homage-fest filtered through the lens of the improbable and the impractical using colors from a box of crayola crayons with shoulders never intended to pass through any building's revolving doors.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kuragalolz View Post
    It effectively is Ashkandi, wouldn't ever have noticed it without this thread lol

To me the original Ashkandi is ugly. I used to like it when I was younger but as all of the vanilla gear, I realise how bad it is now and no longer understand all the hype around it's skin (I do understand it was a pretty rare drop and a good weapon at the time though)

Aside from it's textures, a blade clipping through the ground being ridiculously tall doesn't appeal me anymore.
    The one that loots on BWD is far better IMO.
    Oh gods above and below, another "sophisticated adult" who misses the entire point and evidently drowned their inner child in the bathtub one night upon realizing what adults should act like and value. This game was made by adults, and it's player base was made up by a majority of adults, and it just tickles me to see some child who thinks they outgrew what once was so childish in their childhood. And they've now realized in their matured intellect what is intrinsically "bad". The humanity,... the horror,... the horror,..

Last edited by Yig; 2014-02-16 at 07:09 AM.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Yes it is.
    Look up and left

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp5XsILypYQ#t=101

I guess that Orc managed to ninja loot only the Sword since he doesn't have any armor at all :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorios View Post
    Technically it was Nefarian's weapon, and he chose a human form, so

yeah
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Technically it was Nefarian's weapon, and he chose a human form, so

yeah
    this is so wrong i'm not even going to bother correcting it. just know that you're so wrong.
    ill probably be infracted for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Thorios View Post
    [sung to the tune of I want my MTV]
    http://youtu.be/lAD6Obi7Cag
    I. want. my. sashimono.

I WANT MY SASHIMONO!!!!!!

"He wants his sassy mo-mo?"
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    Yup, I recognized it the very morning I returned from my line at 12am at Walmart on the day of release, and was delighted to see it's powerfulful visage cutting through a naga like a warm knife through butter on a summer night. Fantastic cut scene and I hope to see more random player characters used in the WOD cinematic mixed with the amazing and larger than life collection of Warchiefs and species living in the Draenor of old if possible.

The ENTIRE POINT of Warcraft being an homage-fest filtered through the lens of the improbable and the impractical using colors from a box of crayola crayons with shoulders never intended to pass through any building's revolving doors.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh gods above and below, another "sophisticated adult" who misses the entire point and evidently drowned their inner child in the bathtub one night upon realizing what adults should act like and value. This game was made by adults, and it's player base was made up by a majority of adults, and it just tickles me to see some child who thinks they outgrew what once was so childish in their childhood. And they've now realized in their matured intellect what is intrinsically "bad". The humanity,... the horror,... the horror,..

That's not really what I meant lol you're going too far.
    I don't exactly know why I no longer like the old ashkandi and vanilla gear overall, but my best guess is simply that my tastes changed over time, that's all, there's no need to go further, and maybe because of back to this time textures weren't that bad.
    I still think that most of the ones who like vanilla gear are influented by nostalgia or by a kind of "older is better" way of thinking though.

When I see a ridiculously tall weapon clipping through the ground, all I can think is "No.", in my eyes it looks as bad as hairs, ears and eyebrows clipping through helmets. And it just looks oversized.
    Last edited by mmocafdd20634a; 2014-02-16 at 07:23 AM.

The bladeguard is the only part that looks that way to me. The blade itself and the etching look too different. Doesn't help that the gem doesn't really look like the eye on the ingame weapon (even if you were to claim refracted light).

I'm sorry, can't quite hear you over these whispers.
    http:/ /i.imgur.com/apmha1m. jpg