Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    yep, another retarded decision to try and force more people into raiding the same old content for six months or longer.

When you lack creativity, just take something away that works. That way, when you give it back in the next expansion, you look intelligent!
    Garrosh: "LOK'TAR! HAVE A HAMBURGER."

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    So we can use the words and context to realize that the headline was sensationalist, they're NOT removing the currency. They're simplifying (first statement) and streamlining (second statement) the currency system. At no point has Blizzard said that they're removing VP/JP. Just that they're simplifying and streamlining. Very likely we'll just have one of the two, or some new currency that acts a lot like VP did, since JP in MoP was pretty much worthless. Yeesh.

Man people freak out over nothing without reading the thing they're freaking out about.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    So we can use the words and context to realize that the headline was sensationalist, they're NOT removing the currency. They're simplifying (first statement) and streamlining (second statement) the currency system. At no point has Blizzard said that they're removing VP/JP. Just that they're simplifying and streamlining. Very likely we'll just have one of the two, or some new currency that acts a lot like VP did, since JP in MoP was pretty much worthless. Yeesh.

Man people freak out over nothing without reading the thing they're freaking out about.
    If you read closely we ARE losing at LEAST one of the two, and the remaining will not be used for raid level gear rewards anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    http://www.pcgamesn.com/wow/blizzard...rlords-draenor

Seems both currencies are to be removed and loot will be purely handed out through drops.

Seems alright to me, Valor points are pretty irrelevant these days and just used to upgrade, Justice points have barely any use.

I don't think you actually read the article. Nowhere does Ion say all currency systems will be removed. He only says: “We are planning on simplifying our currency structure,” lead encounter designer Ion Hazzikostas told PCGamesN.

simplifying =/= removing

Whoever the moron author of the article is decided something otherwise, but what Ion said doesn't actually support that conclusion based on the quotes from Ion in the article. Ion does talk a bit about bonus rolls replacing what valor was meant to do, but he doesn't address justice at all. That may mean justice is staying and valor is leaving, but he never goes so far as to say that.

Basically, the author is just trying to stir the pot and make a name for himself

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you read closely we ARE losing at LEAST one of the two, and the remaining will not be used for raid level gear rewards anymore.
    I AM paying attention. Are you? Read what you quoted, I specifically said that we'll likely just have one of the two. Streamlining/Simplifying does not mean removing completely. Also they never stated that they will not be used for raid level gear rewards, all they stated was that historically that's what VP has done. The article's author made the assumption that this means that it will no longer be the case, as s/he made the ridiculous assumption that simplification/streamlining meant complete removal of.

We'll have to wait for clarification to see what the new streamlined currency will give.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neos300 View Post
    I don't think you actually read the article. Nowhere does Ion say all currency systems will be removed. He only says: “We are planning on simplifying our currency structure,” lead encounter designer Ion Hazzikostas told PCGamesN.

simplifying =/= removing

Whoever the moron author of the article is decided something otherwise, but what Ion said doesn't actually support that conclusion based on the quotes from Ion in the article. Ion does talk a bit about bonus rolls replacing what valor was meant to do, but he doesn't address justice at all. That may mean justice is staying and valor is leaving, but he never goes so far as to say that.

Basically, the author is just trying to stir the pot and make a name for himself
    No ones trying to stir the pot.

This change could bar your gear behind bad RNG for a lot longer than it would take you to acquire the currency for it.

On top of lockouts being as they are, as well as other gear (rep, heirlooms, and honor) being currency bound - this has a lot of ramifications.

Quit white knighting and actually stop to logically think about what this does.

10+ Year Old Account
    I AM paying attention. Are you? Read what you quoted, I specifically said that we'll likely just have one of the two. Streamlining/Simplifying does not mean removing completely. Also they never stated that they will not be used for raid level gear rewards, all they stated was that historically that's what VP has done. The article's author made the assumption that this means that it will no longer be the case, as s/he made the ridiculous assumption that simplification/streamlining meant complete removal of.

We'll have to wait for clarification to see what the new streamlined currency will give.
    I'd expect a pretty quick rectification if that were actually that wrong.
    By all accounts this seems to be what is going to happen. It's an interview you know, not a blog.
    And the itemization in WoD supports this change completely.

Let's wait and see what the upcoming infodump says, but I see no reason to believe otherwise.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd expect a pretty quick rectification if that were actually that wrong.
    By all accounts this seems to be what is going to happen. It's an interview you know, not a blog.
    And the itemization in WoD supports this change completely.

Let's wait and see what the upcoming infodump says, but I see no reason to believe otherwise.
    Actually you have every reason to believe otherwise based on what was actually stated. You're not reading what the developer said, you're assuming that what the article's author inferred about those statements is true. So yes if you look at what the developer actually said and interpret that yourself rather than having "Jeremy Peel" interpret it for you, you would have every reason to believe otherwise.

Yes though, lets wait for the clarification. However since a dev acknowledge that clarification is incoming, one could logically deduce that the article misstated the dev's intentions, which should be no huge surprise given the vast difference between what was said and what the article inferred from those statements.

Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post
    No ones trying to stir the pot.

This change could bar your gear behind bad RNG for a lot longer than it would take you to acquire the currency for it.

On top of lockouts being as they are, as well as other gear (rep, heirlooms, and honor) being currency bound - this has a lot of ramifications.

Quit white knighting and actually stop to logically think about what this does.

It's not white knighting - it's reading the article and not jumping to conclusions like the author did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually you have every reason to believe otherwise based on what was actually stated. You're not reading what the developer said, you're assuming that what the article's author inferred about those statements is true. So yes if you look at what the developer actually said and interpret that yourself rather than having "Jeremy Peel" interpret it for you, you would have every reason to believe otherwise.

Yes though, lets wait for the clarification. However since a dev acknowledge that clarification is incoming, one could logically deduce that the article misstated the dev's intentions, which should be no huge surprise given the vast difference between what was said and what the article inferred from those statements.
    We'll see. I don't expect Valor to play the same role anymore with all the loot sources we will get as well as the way loot will work. We'll see soon.

This line specifically makes me believe the article:

“We are trying to get rid of one of the two, but at the end of the day a purely random system probably would not work as well for higher PvP gear,” he said. “Conquest makes a lot of sense.”

He's pretty much inferring here that a purely random system wouldn't work in PVP, but is fine for PVE.
    Last edited by miffy23; 2014-02-26 at 08:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Upgrades will not be your gear progression, getting better rolled items and new item sources will be.
    I know, i was commenting on our current system and how going from actual items (previous expac) for valor to upgrades for valor (this expac) was lazy design. This is especially true when you take into account how worthless Justice points have been for the entirety of this expansion.

"I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    --Bilbo Baggins
    Paarthurnax | Peijing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neos300 View Post
    It's not white knighting - it's reading the article and not jumping to conclusions like the author did.
    The conclusion has already been wrought, you read it in the article.

This isn't rampant speculation, with the removal of valor and justice we can easily tell how it will affect the current system without at least a similar currency or token system in it's place - all of which seem to go against the design philosophy.

The purpose of JP/VP has run its course. With the blustered amount of ways to progress into the hardest content a player is qualified to participate in has never been broader.

The heroic dungeon -> normal raid -> heroic raid -> mythic raid path seems like a fairly smooth way to get into raiding at any given player's pace.

The bonus role system after a few tweaks should be plenty of safety net even for the worst RNG streaks.

Force non raider to run LFR !
    Good Job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im probably missing something here - as usual - but what would be the problem if these currencies are removed?

We'd essentially be returning to TBC (pre currency patch) where you basically geared through heroics and raids, except now you have more ways to obtain gear.

Raiders have their ways of gearing and so do non raiders.

Everybody's happy??

I approve of this idea. The whole system of badge gear was kind of outdated after LFR came out anyway.
    Also, I always thought the whole valor upgrade system was pointless and just implemented to have a reason to keep badges in the game.
    Retired WOW player
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy 14

I like valor and justice because it gives you clear goals to a known item. However, the system is complex, vendors are sometimes hard to find, and properly working the reputation system takes a lot of knowledge and planning. I'd like to see a clean system where monsters have treasures and occasional special items, and doing brave deeds gives you fame and rewards of better weapons and armor from your leaders. "Bring me the dragon's head and I'll we'll make a helm from it." "Bring me Thickbutt the ogre's rear and I'll make you a shield."

Quote Originally Posted by Meillquei View Post
    I always thought the whole valor upgrade system was pointless and just implemented to have a reason to keep badges in the game.
    I agree and want to add that it also made same ilvl upgrades more tedious to plug in. Most player's do not enjoy having to pay another 500 valor to exchange a 561/567 for a same ilvl upgrade.

This will be amplified by the lack of reforge. It will also be amplified by bonus rolled items with tertiary stats, gems, and/or warforge.

I think this is stupid. Valor Point gear was never that good and should only be seen as a tool to help you perform better in raids until you get something from there. It was a way to offset bad luck streaks which can easily last months. Removing it means that we have to rely entirely on RNG for progressing our characters. Hopefully if they do end up removing it they significantly improve the loot system.

Deleted
    Reserve judgement until the details are fully fleshed out or we actually have access to the game on release. The same shit applies to anything that's announced. People jumping to personal conclusions based on bias are idiots.