Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

NPC RP text! How to enable

Did you know many NPCs in WoW have flavor text, or introductions about themselves that WoW is pre-programmed to automatically skip over if the NPC only has a single interact option? Its true! Back in Burning Crusade, players who are uninterested in lore and immersion asked Blizzard for an option to skip over what NPCs had to say to save them a click.

Before Blizzard made this change, vendors and NPCs would do this:

Nowadays, if you click on a vendor, quest-giver that only offers 1 quest, etc. etc. you immediately go to this screen

Doesn't this suck? For many players who care about RP and immersion, it does.. alot.

Running this script into your chat box will fix this issue for you.

/run ForceGossip = function() return true end
    Theres 1000s of NPCs with hidden flavor text! You're welcome!

I need to do this right away. Thank you, sir.

For the longest time, I never knew NPCs had roles beyond player interaction...

Like the poster above, I need to do this right away. Thank you, sir.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verrine View Post
    For the longest time, I never knew NPCs had roles beyond player interaction...

Like the poster above, I need to do this right away. Thank you, sir.
    Its incredible how many NPCs have been silenced by this cruel and unnecessary "hotfix". In fact, nearly every vendor in Classic and BC have something to say. Unsure of NPCs beyond Wrath of the Lich King as Blizzard probably began designing NPCs around their fix (I wouldn't imagine developers being bothered to add text nobody will see)

Going around Halfhill in Pandaria, looks like vendors in Pandaria don't have flavor text that is toggled by this script.

Deleted
    Hopefully blizz lurkers will take notice of this thread and think about adding a toggle option in the options menu.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    Hopefully blizz lurkers will take notice of this thread and think about adding a toggle option in the options menu.
    That would be perfect.

Nice one

Is this reset when you exit game? (so that you have to run script every time you log in.) or?

...and if not, how do you disable it again?

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Did you know many NPCs in WoW have flavor text, or introductions about themselves that WoW is pre-programmed to automatically skip over if the NPC only has a single interact option? Its true! Back in Burning Crusade, players who are uninterested in lore and immersion asked Blizzard for an option to skip over what NPCs had to say to save them a click.

Before Blizzard made this change, vendors and NPCs would do this:

[IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/2dl66px.jpg
    Nowadays, if you click on a vendor, quest-giver that only offers 1 quest, etc. etc. you immediately go to this screen

[IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/mr8cyd.jpg

Doesn't this suck? For many players who care about RP and immersion, it does.. alot.

Running this script into your chat box will fix this issue for you.

Theres 1000s of NPCs with hidden flavor text! You're welcome!
    By Aman'thule's beard. THANKS@!
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

I was around before the change, never understood why it was changed and always hoped they will some day put em back in, so thank you! Thank you very much!

10+ Year Old Account
    Ooooo thanks,I just checked around SW,and yes,Wotlk/cata people don't have the text on them,I guess they just stopped doing it.
    I vaguely remember that vendors used to talk to you back in the day but never really knew they removed it completly... they should make it a toggle option+add more text to new npcs

10+ Year Old Account
    This sounds awesome - I can't wait to try it!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Miloscub View Post
    I just checked around SW,and yes,Wotlk/cata people don't have the text on them,I guess they just stopped doing it.
    I once had a theory that you could measure the effort put in the current expansion by the amount of items with flavor text. Cata had only few. I think you could use same theory on npc gossip texts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Woah, this actually works. Nice find.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miloscub View Post
    Ooooo thanks,I just checked around SW,and yes,Wotlk/cata people don't have the text on them,I guess they just stopped doing it.
    I vaguely remember that vendors used to talk to you back in the day but never really knew they removed it completly... they should make it a toggle option+add more text to new npcs
    Unfortunately this script doesn't restore all of them, as many flavor text was simply removed from the game, rather than skipped over.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is pretty cool I might want to do this whenever I get back on WoW. One other thing, whats the name of the add on where it changes the look of your character portrait like that? I've always wanted to try those kind of add-ons out, looks cool.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    This is pretty cool I might want to do this whenever I get back on WoW. One other thing, whats the name of the add on where it changes the look of your character portrait like that? I've always wanted to try those kind of add-ons out, looks cool.
    The animated character portrait is X-Perl Unitframes. I like my portrait to be animated since I'm a Warcraft 3 fan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy crap, is this true? I am SO turning this on literally the second I log on. Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Even Auctioneers and profession trainers have their gossip text enabled.

Sure adds a lot of life to the game, doesn't it? Now if only gossip text that was removed by Blizzard would make a return.
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2014-02-28 at 06:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    The animated character portrait is X-Perl Unitframes. I like my portrait to be animated since I'm a Warcraft 3 fan.
    Yeah I remember seeing it a long time ago in a gameplay video and thought it was really cool since I too am a fan of WC 3. Thanks though.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    An awesome doodad, many thanks. Oughta give the world a bit more of an immersive feel.