Thread: Race elitism

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Race elitism

How many of the hardcore guilds actually care so much about character's race that they will only invite e.g. troll warlocks, or at least require a new trial to immediately race change?

I have no knowledge, but I'd assume only the top couple (the guilds competing for firsts), and only for progression of course. With that said, I think wanting to be the best race is something that any competitive guild should look for in all their raiders. I would just assume its not a requirement except for the top few.
    Last edited by Splerks; 2014-03-04 at 09:09 AM.

If you make it into a guild that cares, you will care.

Why in the flying fuck do you call that 'elitism'? You specifically state that these guilds are 'hardcore'. What does that mean? It means that those guilds strive to achieve the best results and require every raider to share that conviction.

What does 'striving to achieve the best results' mean? It means that everyone should be minmaxing and doing everything possible to achieve the absolute best results possible.

What does minmaxing mean? It means doing every thing in your power to squeeze extra DPS/HPS/Survivability from your character.

Are professions and racials currently balanced? No they are not. Trolls and sometimes orcs are not just 'better', they are significantly better and provide more DPS difference than, let's say, a couple of 561->580 non-trinket/non-weapon upgrades. Engineering and sometimes blacksmithing (and sometimes even tailoring) is also significantly better than any other profession.

You don't 'play what you liek' in hardcore guilds, you choose every aspect of your character to provide the best possible results for the raid.
    Last edited by LaplaceNoMa; 2014-03-04 at 09:12 AM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    The unfortunate fact of the matter is that many, many people in wow are very passionate in their obsession with acting like a complete retard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LaplaceNoMa View Post
    Why in the flying fuck do you call that 'elitism'?

Because it is elitism, don't get mad about it.

I have seen some people care, as some races have been ahead in dps, and some guilds REALLY care. It's one of those dividing factors used to pretend you are better/worse based on min maxing.
    I think people emulate better skilled players who change races for dps increases( where it matters more for them) or get duped into people bullshitting over how imperative such things are. lol
    If you are 5 heroics in and not going to take X for Y because the race is off, based "on what you were told/read" you have to just deal with the actual problem of your progression and not your race/class combo.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Deleted
    Why in the flying fuck do you call that 'elitism'? You specifically state that these guilds are 'hardcore'. What does that mean? It means that those guilds strive to achieve the best results and require every raider to share that conviction.

What does 'striving to achieve the best results' mean? It means that everyone should be minmaxing and doing everything possible to achieve the absolute best results possible.

What does minmaxing mean? It means doing every thing in your power to squeeze extra DPS/HPS/Survivability from your character.

Are professions and racials currently balanced? No they are not. Trolls and sometimes orcs are not just 'better', they are significantly better and provide more DPS difference than, let's say, a couple of 561->580 non-trinket/non-weapon upgrades. Engineering and sometimes blacksmithing (and sometimes even tailoring) is also significantly better than any other profession.

You don't 'play what you liek' in hardcore guilds, you choose every aspect of your character to provide the best possible results for the raid.
    This is a game, you should play what you like, not being forced to play a race that you do not like or hate just to beat the boss etc or any other thing.

Now it is race, later they may say you have to reroll since we need you class, then they may say, we do not like spec you have choosen or the talents you are using, despite the fact you feel very comfortable with that.

That kind of behavior is open to abuse.

I changed race and gained 0.06% more DPS.

Totally worth it and gear looks much better now

Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    This is a game, you should play what you like, not being forced to play a race that you do not like or hate just to beat the boss etc or any other thing.

Now it is race, later they may say you have to reroll since we need you class, then they may say, we do not like spec you have choosen or the talents you are using, despite the fact you feel very comfortable with that.

They have a goal that requires you to play a certain race and do other things. If you don't like that or don't agree with you needing those small improvements then you can simply join another guild. No one is forcing you to play with those people.

Elitism... /facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by Disapproval Turtle View Post
    Because it is elitism, don't get mad about it.
    No it's not, it's just a statistical fact that some races are better than others for pve content.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    The abuse would be expecting a top-end guild to tolerate your trivial preferences.

Never heard of that being a requirement. Sure, when certain aspects of a certain Race make a significant improvement (Trolls in Throne of Thunder) then I'm sure there are requests for people to change, and I'm sure people do because they're going for World First(s), and as such anything that improves their chances is worth the investment.

But I've played at very hardcore levels before (Top 30 EU) and I've never once encountered any Guild that only recruited based on Race & Class Combination.

I think if people take the game so seriously that they behave like this, they need to find another hobby. No sense in making a fun activity a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Caninese View Post
    I think if people take the game so seriously that they behave like this, they need to find another hobby. No sense in making a fun activity a job.
    Have you ever spent 2 hours figuring out if a choice between A or B was the best option?

Now I've spent about 6 hours finding out if A, B or C was the best option in WoW and it is by far one of my best experiences I've had doing something alone in WoW. Theorycrafting, min/max, etc. are FUN for some people.

Getting the 300 food instead of the 250 food takes quite a lot more gold/farming, but I would still say it is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
    If you make it into a guild that cares, you will care.
    Couldn't have put it better myself.

Most people might not be on the inside, but I am sure some of your raid leaders go "Oh god not a BE hunter" and "Oh good a troll hunter" ya know?
    The BE hunter is clearly a noob, while the Troll knows his shit because he is a troll, clearly.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by Weightlifter View Post
    How many of the hardcore guilds actually care so much about character's race that they will only invite e.g. troll warlocks, or at least require a new trial to immediately race change?
    I've personally never been forced to do this, my guild doesn't require it I did it because I wanted to, I assume guilds outside the top 10 won't require such things.

Quote Originally Posted by Tastyfish View Post
    Most people might not be on the inside, but I am sure some of your raid leaders go "Oh god not a BE hunter" and "Oh good a troll hunter" ya know?
    Male Blood Elf Retribution Paladin? Decline!
    Male Draenei Hunter? Decline!
    A Warlock of any Race/Profession combo? Insta-Accept!

A Warlock of any Race/Profession combo? Insta-Accept!
    So much this.. At least we have CL to stay important!

Awww sum1 gawt his feeewings huwt. Elitism doesn't mean the same thing as uppity or snobby in all cases. Elitist = top class, highest standards, which a player can hold themselves too as well as those they want to play and succeed with.