Thread: Race elitism

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    To all of you raging about the usage of the word "elitism" in the title: There are more meanings to the word than "Someone who thinks he's better than the rest".

elitism
    noun
    -the advocacy or existence of an elite as a dominating element in a system or society.
    -the attitude or behavior of a person or group who regard themselves as belonging to an elite.

I'm sure we all can agree that there are a few races that are better than all the rest, meaning there is in fact race elitism in WoW today.

Quote Originally Posted by Khantor View Post
    ok henry ok, calm down now
    Don't tell me what to do. I HAVE A GUN.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    If top end guilds want to treat game like a job, they can but it is stupid. I play my games to relax and since i am paying for it, no offense but i will be choosing what is right way to play a game and not some jerks,

My few cents here.
    This is all just your opinion. Those who play at the top enjoy that min/max ideals, you might think it's "stupid" while they think it's efficient. I don't think it's stupid at all, whats fun about playing sub-optimally? they raid at the top, so they do everything they can to be on top. They don't play for the same reason you do.

what's stupid is thinking everyone shares your opinion on what is fun.

Of course it matters. We don't force people to race change, but the type of raider we recruit is likely going to want to go that extra mile anyway. We also considered going horde for the next expac if racials weren't properly balanced but it looks like we won't have to (thank god).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Henriksson View Post
    Don't tell me what to do. I HAVE A GUN.
    Is that a real life threat?

Quote Originally Posted by Oggiva View Post
    To all of you raging about the usage of the word "elitism" in the title: There are more meanings to the word than "Someone who thinks he's better than the rest".

elitism
    noun
    -the advocacy or existence of an elite as a dominating element in a system or society.
    -the attitude or behavior of a person or group who regard themselves as belonging to an elite.

I'm sure we all can agree that there are a few races that are better than all the rest, meaning there is in fact race elitism in WoW today.
    No. It doesn't fit at all into either of those categories, it's not a dominating element in a system or society and it's about regarding yourself as belonging to an elite - it's about asking the person to play to their maximum.

I didn't apply for the University of Cambridge because my grades were not up to the standards they required, were they being grade elitists? No, it's just the requirement for entry they set.
    Last edited by Ryme; 2014-03-04 at 12:55 PM.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    I didn't apply for the University of Cambridge because my grades were not up to the standards they required, were they being grade elitists? No, it's just the requirement for entry they set.
    Not having good enough grades to enter a top university is in no way comparable to playing a non optimal race in WoW. If anything you should compare it to not being a good enough player. The race is easy to change, and I'd rather compare it to not following the dress code. I never said setting requirements is elitist, and it's not like it's strict requirements either. It's whoever is best gets the spots.

That said it wouldn't surprise me if there is people looking down on others for playing "the wrong" race.

Bleeding edge guilds would require it. Hell, if you are in such a guild, you do whatever it takes for a competitive advantage. Pretty sure ToT proved that (and that tier alone is probably responsible for all the upcoming racial changes).

Would love to see any and all combat enhancing racials axed, but that's another can of worms.

Deleted
    Top guilds will go with the best guy for the task, if your choice of race makes someone else who is available better suited than you, he will get your task.

Is it elitism? Yeah, and it's perfectly fine and logical as long as everyone involved knows that's how it's gonna be.

Even if it's not a top guild, no one forces you to join them or keep playing with them if you don't want to switch race, I know I wouldn't. But it's their guild and they can ask pretty much what they want with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
    If you make it into a guild that cares, you will care.
    This is pretty much the answer.

For people who say "I shouldn't have to switch races just because a guild told me to", well, don't join them then.

If you are in a 'bleeding edge progression' guild and you would rather have cosmetics than dps increases you're probably in the wrong guild
    Smitus of <Solace>, previously of <SNF>

10+ Year Old Account
    I could understand it in the bleeding edge stuff, and have seen it when apping in the past, but it's just so minimal!!
    The only time I'd see it being reasonable is for the Tauren Boomkins (as their main spec). . . wtf are you doing? You should be a Troll. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Disapproval Turtle View Post
    Because it is elitism, don't get mad about it.
    Does that mean going from Green Gems to Blue gems (or epic gems in some xpacs) = Elitism? In certain cases it will provide a similar DPS increase. Should we suddenly start using low quality gems and enchants because using good enchants and gems is elitist?

For more overused and misunderstood terminology in MMOs, see: Pay to Win, Casual, Hardcore, Carrot on a Stick, Ganking, Trolling
    Last edited by Larynx; 2015-08-24 at 11:23 PM.

Well, on your guild application, you will be asked why you're playing a sub-par race, up to you to give a good answer to give a reason why you're not optimal.

I don't think any guilds will require you to be a specific race, but it will tell them a lot how much you care about min/maxing.

It's pretty much equivalent to ask why you use Greater Haste on your gloves instead of Greater Mastery. Sure the benefit is small, but there is a benefit and you're not optimal otherwise. Or if you had minining/skinning as a profession.
    Karuzo | Drainlife, US-Arthas
    Mistweaver Monk - armory - twitter - raider.io - twitch

Quote Originally Posted by Novx View Post
    Does that mean going from Green Gems to Blue gems (or epic gems in some xpacs) = Elitism? In certain cases it will provide a similar DPS increase. Should we suddenly start using low quality gems and enchants because using good enchants and gems is elitist?
    I hate this analogy.

Gems, enchants and consumables can all be acquired without spending any real money. They also have no other side effects (aesthetics).

I can understand a top ~20 world guild caring about racials. What's laughable is when some rank 300 guild cares about them. When you're at that kind of rank, +/- 1% raid dps isn't really going to affect your progress much.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
    If you make it into a guild that cares, you will care.
    this sums it up perfectly

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LaplaceNoMa View Post
    Why in the flying fuck do you call that 'elitism'?
    Because ... it is?