Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Okay but the response from the player is going to be this...

I have Gone Nutz, DrivingU Nutz, Iam Nutz. Why are you making me change my surname just because I could use it with Deez?

The problem is for every bad combo there are going to be countless legit ones. It's just more trouble than it's worth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Filters, flagging... Not that I'd want to be prevented from using a surname of my own invention, but if they want to keep the stupid out of it, then offer numerous specific race appropriate choices to choose (earn) from, perhaps those used by random NPCs (with certain ones not in use of course, just those held by the NPC commoners), or halves of surnames or acceptable words that are allowed to be put together into one.

As for it being too long due to titles.. make it a toggled either/or thing, you either have surname showing, or title showing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post
    Okay but the response from the player is going to be this...

I have Gone Nutz, DrivingU Nutz, Iam Nutz. Why are you making me change my surname just because I could use it with Deez?

The problem is for every bad combo there are going to be countless legit ones. It's just more trouble than it's worth.
    I imagine name moderation would continue at its current pace. Everyday I see people in Trade whining about having to change their name. "What was it before?" Player: "Rapeurazz" Really?

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    I know there are addons that can handle things like this, but even SW:TOR, a free game that flopped miserably still had a Legacy name (last name) for your characters. Even better, they could all use the same last name. I'd enjoy having a last name in WoW. It could even be tied to the Garrisons. On a list of important things to fix in the game, this is likely near the bottom of the list, but it is still something some of us, particularly on an RP realm, might enjoy.

I don't play SW:TOR much, but to say it flopped when it is in the top 5 of subbed based MMO's is wrong.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree that it would cause a lot of stupid names to show up, but I have a bigger problem with people using special characters in their name. I swear every time I play I see someone (usually a DK) with a stupid name like "Deathbloodx" and more than half of the name is using special characters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    I don't play SW:TOR much, but to say it flopped when it is in the top 5 of subbed based MMO's is wrong.
    It cost close to $400M between creation and marketing and has barely made that back. Also, it went F2P with a sub option and a full on cash shop where you can get gear, mounts, unlocks, etc. It may have rebounded, but there was a time when they ended up merging servers like crazy and opening that cash shop. Was likely the only thing that saved them.

Quote Originally Posted by Denkou View Post
    I agree that it would cause a lot of stupid names to show up, but I have a bigger problem with people using special characters in their name. I swear every time I play I see someone (usually a DK) with a stupid name like "Deathbloodx" and more than half of the name is using special characters.
    I have a female Night Elf DK named "Frözëntëärs."
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    It cost close to $400M between creation and marketing and has barely made that back. Also, it went F2P with a sub option and a full on cash shop where you can get gear, mounts, unlocks, etc. It may have rebounded, but there was a time when they ended up merging servers like crazy and opening that cash shop. Was likely the only thing that saved them.

replied in pm so we don't derail the thread.

I wouldn't mind seeing a legacy systems like SW:TOR has added to wow.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    At least that actually kinda looks pretty, and not like some of the horrific ones that are out there.. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OzoAndIndi View Post
    At least that actually kinda looks pretty, and not like some of the horrific ones that are out there.. lol
    Agreed, there is one on my old realm that is all the letter O, but it is 12 O's each with a different symbol over it. Drives me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    is she a frost dk?
    if so then it kind of fits.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    is she a frost dk?
    if so then it kind of fits.
    The name absolutely fits, the way it is pronounced... no where near fitting. Then again, special characters do not bother me.

10+ Year Old Account
    But if they add the option of 1 surname, people will complain because they want to be able to have more than 1. Like many of us do IRL.
    I for one am most disappointed that we can't use 1 apostrophe.

And with titles, we would end up with ridiculously long names.

Deleted
    Be careful of what you wish for, this could cost us a raid tier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eiserne Drossel View Post
    Be careful of what you wish for, this could cost us a raid tier.
    I don't raid, so I am willing to risk it

Quote Originally Posted by OzoAndIndi View Post
    Best part is the Night Elf facial tattoes make it looks like her eyes were bleeding and it simply stuck and stained.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerN View Post
    And with titles, we would end up with ridiculously long names.
    I still like the GW2 way of handling it wherein your "title" is under your name like "<Combat Healer>" and your Guild names are abbreviated when the names are visible over a character's head.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

I'm actually a really big fan of singular word character names. It's much much cleaner. I'd be slightly irritated if this ever happened.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The main benefit to having a "last" name would be to allow multiple people on the same server to have the same first name.

For instance, server migration would never be an option for me, because if I went to any other RP-PvE server, only about ~3 out of 11 of my 90's wouldn't require a name change. While I know many don't care about that, it would be a deal breaker for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    I'm actually a really big fan of singular word character names. It's much much cleaner. I'd be slightly irritated if this ever happened.
    I just imagine you getting hot under the collar whenever you see someone with a 12 character name and the title ,Champion of the Frozen Wastes, behind their name

15+ Year Old Account
    Being in the previous Beta Weekend, I found out that Elder Scrolls Online even lets you choose a first and a last name. WoW really is lightyears behind, in this single aspect. Not bad, IMO. But, still, it'd be nice.

Only problem is, this kind of a change would require an extensive overhaul of some behind the scenes tech, something that they'd have to dedicate a lot of time to do. Other games do it because they were made that way, WoW wasn't made that way, therefore infrastructure must be overhauled to do it. That = big change.

TL;DR: Aint' happening.