10+ Year Old Account

Why I'm nervous for Mind Control

1.) Its a one-of-a-kind talented CC available to only one class. (Edit: I believe it DRs with Seduce)
    2.) It completely removes the priest from playability for the duration of the spell
    3.) When cast by a healer, can potentially jeopardize the entire team if improperly handled
    4.) Its a high-skill, insanely situational ability that competes with an AoE root and AoE fear as a tier 1 talent
    5.) Uses in PvP are rare and usually involve dropping players off cliffs (cliffs in BGs are rare and nonexistent in arenas) which can be hugely overpowered for a CC, particularly in Eye of the Storm
    6.) Uses in PvE are continuously nerfed or ineffective

Anything else I'm missing? I love the spell a ton and the nostalgic memories of dropping players off Thousand Needles or the AB lumber mill remind me why I rolled priest to begin with. I honestly didn't expect it to make it to Cataclysm, and it seems like a terminally ill friend at this point in the game. As much as I want priests to keep the spell, the recent CC philosophy announced by Blizzard makes the spell look like a prime target.

What do you think? Will priests keep Mind Control in WoD? How should it be handled, if at all?
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2014-03-07 at 07:47 PM.

it's a classic and unique spell with tons of lore references in games and books, including anduin's use in the jade forest and that draenei chick in the book about twilight dragons. I really doubt blizzard would choose mind control to remove from priests. it'll probably remain there as a talent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    it's a classic and unique spell with tons of lore references in games and books, including anduin's use in the jade forest and that draenei chick in the book about twilight dragons. I really doubt blizzard would choose mind control to remove from priests. it'll probably remain there as a talent.
    If gameplay makes MC obsolete, do you think they'd keep it for the sake of flavor? Look at Mana Tap, Corpse Explosion, Consecration for Ret.

No way they could remove this spell. They almost did in MoP, but the response to it going away was overwhelming. Its here to stay.

I really hope it will stay. I love Mind Controlling "Defias" members in Elwynn, pitting them against each other.

Seriously though, I agree. It would be a different thing if it worked like enslave demon/undead.

If it can't stay for whatever balance reason, at least they could keep it as a minor glyph or something and make it work only in specific circumstances. Dunno what's so powerful with it though, that it can't stay. :s

I rarely use it other than for fun. I should probably spec for one of the other two... :L

They have removed Mana Burn and made MC a talent (lame changes). So, there is a chance that it will be remowed also. Blizz don't like to have unic abilites for each class.
    I would like to see more class differences like we did with Pali and druid healers in TBC.
    Agreed, though overspecialized niches are no good either. E.g. raiding resto druid in BC was often just rolling Lifebloom forever

I know a lot of us at Howtopriest and several other well known priests have also given feedback that MC is rarely used, not because its a bad CC... but because, since BC, it seems to be a default that instance and elite mobs are immune to MC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmorgrim View Post
    No way they could remove this spell. They almost did in MoP, but the response to it going away was overwhelming. Its here to stay.
    Really though, ability bloat is being targeted aggressively this expac, there's going to be an outcry to every spell removed. By all means I don't approve of removing MC, but its practically useless and takes up a talent spot. This strikes me as a kind of spell that is on the top of Blizzard's list.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmorgrim View Post
    I know a lot of us at Howtopriest and several other well known priests have also given feedback that MC is rarely used, not because its a bad CC... but because, since BC, it seems to be a default that instance and elite mobs are immune to MC.
    It was very useful in early cataclysm dungeons. With Mythic coming I can see encounters designed taking MC in consideration.

From a PvP perspective, it's absurdly overpowered in 2v2 and completely and utterly worthless everywhere else. It makes Priests arguably one of the strongest 2v2 healers because Chastise -> Fear -> Mind Control is 20 seconds of CC from just one person, and allows your partner to follow it up. It also makes Priests virtually unkillable because you can just spam heal until you get kicked, then Mind Control your opponent away from you.

But it's completely useless everywhere else, and I kind of don't see it staying. In PvE almost everything is immune to it, probably because things that weren't immune were always overpowered (I remember in Gnomergan there were gnomes that had a Wrench throw ability that had no CD and could be spammed faster than GCDs, so you could basically solo the instance with them, just one example) so it seems more and more things are becoming immune.

From a gameplay standpoint, it serves little purpose. They could easily replace the talent with something that makes Chastise an AoE, or gives you a 3-4 sec Stun for Disc, or something similar. I'd be kind of surprised to see it stay honestly.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it removed, there will be 1 achievement that is no longer able to be completed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    If it removed, there will be 1 achievement that is no longer able to be completed.
    Any engineer can do it. (The one from Ulduar)

I only play my shadow priest in pvp. And I only pvp on the priest to throw people off lumber mill or to chuck them into eye of the storm oblivion. This must not be removed (and it's a hella lot more fair than the knockback abilities that do the same thing, imo, I say while also having a 90 hunter, druid, and shaman)

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Really though, ability bloat is being targeted aggressively this expac, there's going to be an outcry to every spell removed. By all means I don't approve of removing MC, but its practically useless and takes up a talent spot. This strikes me as a kind of spell that is on the top of Blizzard's list.
    More useful than Psyfiend.

If they take away MC I'm rerolling Monk!... oh wait... nvrm

Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    It was very useful in early cataclysm dungeons. With Mythic coming I can see encounters designed taking MC in consideration.
    Yea I can't see them removing it but it would be awesome if we had uses for it again. One of the things I really loved about Naxx was getting to use MC in an actual fight. Would be nice to have some use for Shackle as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    1.) Its a one-of-a-kind talented CC available to only one class. (Edit: I believe it DRs with Seduce)
    2.) It completely removes the priest from playability for the duration of the spell
    3.) When cast by a healer, can potentially jeopardize the entire team if improperly handled
    4.) Its a high-skill, insanely situational ability that competes with an AoE root and AoE fear as a tier 1 talent
    5.) Uses in PvP are rare and usually involve dropping players off cliffs (cliffs in BGs are rare and nonexistent in arenas) which can be hugely overpowered for a CC, particularly in Eye of the Storm
    6.) Uses in PvE are continuously nerfed or ineffective

Anything else I'm missing? I love the spell a ton and the nostalgic memories of dropping players off Thousand Needles or the AB lumber mill remind me why I rolled priest to begin with. I honestly didn't expect it to make it to Cataclysm, and it seems like a terminally ill friend at this point in the game. As much as I want priests to keep the spell, the recent CC philosophy announced by Blizzard makes the spell look like a prime target.

What do you think? Will priests keep Mind Control in WoD? How should it be handled, if at all?

Well thanks, you just made me crazy nervous too. I'm going to do some random BGs and suicide some people just for old times sake.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    I think there was a dev watercooler that specifically called out MC as something that they thought added flavor to a fight like Rasuvius and how 20 man raiding would allow more guilds to be more flexible and yadda yadda

That might be it's only savior is if it finds a way to be more useful in PVE