10+ Year Old Account
    I do like the BKs, particularly in their original iteration, they do make for awesome soldiers and their original lore was great. So I hope they're kept distinctive.
    Start trying to work out who deserves what, and before long you’ll spend the rest of your days weeping for each and every person in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaladhrun View Post
    Well no, they stated they would develop paladin lore for the BE and its relation to the Naaru a little more, not the BE as a whole. I suspect you are right, but the angelic wings and holy eyes stuff is a turn I hope they will have the good sense to avoid. The niche of the HE and the BE has always been their affinity with the arcane (along with swordsmanship and bowmanship), and now, fel. We already have the humans, dwarves, and of course, the draenei, who have a close relationship to the Light. Do we really need -yet- another race of light "blessed" beings?

- - - Updated - - -
    because for BZ fel = evil, light = good

light was part of the tradition of the elves, they had and have priests who worship the light, there are also paladins who worship the light.

fel was a tool they used the people in power at any given time, if ordinary people knew what they had was horrified.

blood elves horde race reprecentative in army of light

10+ Year Old Account
    And what of the arcane? Is it 'evil' too? The only reason fel is considered evil is its association with and usage by the Legion. It's a substance like any other. True, most races don't like what it is or can do, but that's about it. I am sure some of the sheep the magisters kept in the dark would be 'horrified' but equally, most of the race would be wiped out by the Scourge if their prejudices held sway.

As for the Light, it was always a minor tradition amongst the elves. Even the priest NPCs you do see in dungeons like Stratholme were "mage-priests". I am sure the elves had their share of paladins and Light-worshipping priests, as I recall they were part of the founding of the Order of the Silver Hand as an anti-Horde focused order, but it was never a major part. Their main characteristic has always been their affinity with the arcane, which they excel at using.

Trying to shoehorn the BE into some dull "army of the Light" - a niche already occupied by other races - would go further to erasing their identity.
    Start trying to work out who deserves what, and before long you’ll spend the rest of your days weeping for each and every person in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Arcane is neutral. Fel has always been demonic of sorts.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    True but the only reason it is regarded is evil is the association with the Legion and its desire to enslave and extinguish most life it encounters. There's other demons out there, who do not belong to the Legion, and whilst their existence may be unnerving, twisted and strange to most Azerothians, they're not necessarily evil. It's a bit like a radiation with empowering attributes to it. The transformation may be seen as undesirable by many, but that's separate to it being evil.

Anyway, my point wasn't to say they have a niche in using fel per se, but arcane magic in general. There is no need to homogeneise them with races like the draenei.

Fel is also actively employed by individuals and groups associated with various neutral factions, the Alliance and the Horde at this point in time. It's not something that is destroyed at every possible turn whenever it shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    The Arcane is neutral. Fel has always been demonic of sorts.
    Arcan Magic currupts alot, just not as bad as fel/shadow magic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellspawn View Post
    Arcan Magic currupts alot, just not as bad as fel/shadow magic.
    It transforms. Whether it 'corrupts' is relative to your moral viewpoint.

It only corrupts under certain circumstances, though...that applies to pretty much any form of power in the setting. Interestingly enough that includes the 'pure' Light.

10+ Year Old Account
    So anyone had a guess as to when they're going to release the next model preview, and which it'll be?

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    Staring at the tweet, trying to figure out what does the "cont" mean.
    the continued part was his next tweet where he said there was no eta on the next artcraft he just wanted people to know they heard their problems.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Thaladhrun View Post
    True but the only reason it is regarded is evil is the association with the Legion and its desire to enslave and extinguish most life it encounters. There's other demons out there, who do not belong to the Legion, and whilst their existence may be unnerving, twisted and strange to most Azerothians, they're not necessarily evil. It's a bit like a radiation with empowering attributes to it. The transformation may be seen as undesirable by many, but that's separate to it being evil.

Anyway, my point wasn't to say they have a niche in using fel per se, but arcane magic in general. There is no need to homogeneise them with races like the draenei.
    Quel'Thalas government use fel because it was what I had within your reach at that time. now Rommath 5.1 says that there are no more fel crystals in quelthalas

elves have their inexhaustible source of magic sacred to quench your thirst for magic and use it to your needs

Quote Originally Posted by Caesius Baelthar View Post
    It only corrupts under certain circumstances, though...that applies to pretty much any form of power in the setting. Interestingly enough that includes the 'pure' Light.
    fel magic takes life and destroys it to fuel its powers, it always corrupts. there is no non corrupting fel magic or good fel magic.

some people use its powers to accomplish good or to do good but fel is a double edged sword, if someone is using fel they are either destroying the life around them or their own life.
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Arcane is corrupting in its nature. There's no source of magic on Azeroth that will make you addicted and corrupt you physically like arcane. It's like drug. Fel is arcane in its most corrupted form. You know the titans put Malygos in charge to watch over the magic in Azeroth for a reason. Arcane require a lot of control for it to not corrupt you. Something like druidism will never corrupt you. There's only bad people that use it to do bad things. The art itself will never make you addicted or transform.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Arcane is corrupting in its nature. There's no source of magic on Azeroth that will make you addicted and corrupt you physically like arcane. It's like drug. Fel is arcane in its most corrupted form. You know the titans put Malygos in charge to watch over the magic in Azeroth for a reason. Arcane require a lot of control for it to not corrupt you. Something like druidism will never corrupt you. There's only bad people that use it to do bad things. The art itself will never make you addicted or transform.
    fel magic is not arcane magic, and arcane magic doesnt corrupt.

all magic causes addiction if you are ingesting it/infusing yourself with it, even druidic magic and elemental/spirit magic.

however just using arcane will not corrupt you, the titans tasked malygos and beings like the doomguards to police magic because magic can be abused, not because magic corrupts.

the titans actively used arcane magic to fuel and create their inventions.

the only magics to actually corrupt people nomatter what is fel magic and shadow/void magic. arcane magic is only shown to corrupt people when its used in necromancy and its not completely clear whether or not necromancy is actually arcane magic or void magic or its own form of magic itself.

- - - Updated - - -

kosak and copeland have said that blizzard is putting together a short story/novel/blogpost that will go into detail about what each school of magic is and what it does and where it comes from so hopefully the lines between the magics will be addressed better.

we already know now that monks use the exact same magic as shamans do without having to call upon elementals so thats kind of cool

10+ Year Old Account
    In the volcanic ashlands of northwestern Georgia (Also known as Atlanta).
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    fel magic is not arcane magic, and arcane magic doesnt corrupt.

all magic causes addiction if you are ingesting it/infusing yourself with it, even druidic magic and elemental/spirit magic.

however just using arcane will not corrupt you, the titans tasked malygos and beings like the doomguards to police magic because magic can be abused, not because magic corrupts.

the titans actively used arcane magic to fuel and create their inventions.

the only magics to actually corrupt people nomatter what is fel magic and shadow/void magic. arcane magic is only shown to corrupt people when its used in necromancy and its not completely clear whether or not necromancy is actually arcane magic or void magic or its own form of magic itself.

- - - Updated - - -

kosak and copeland have said that blizzard is putting together a short story/novel/blogpost that will go into detail about what each school of magic is and what it does and where it comes from so hopefully the lines between the magics will be addressed better.

we already know now that monks use the exact same magic as shamans do without having to call upon elementals so thats kind of cool
    Well arcane magic isn't "corrupt" so much as it is often too much for mortals to handle without going crazy with power. It attracts demons and tends to make people crazy and impulsive. The RPG goes into MUCH more detail, but it's not canon anymore so I wont cite it. The way it reflects upon the actual storyline (particularly in the war of the ancients) and current lore seems to still hold true. Arcane magic is like a power mortals weren't meant to control. The entire Council of tirisfal was created to keep tabs on arcane magic use and its ability to attract demons. Dalaran was constantly being attacked by demons who would rip through the space time continuum because their magic loosened the veil between our world and the Nether. Those runestones in Quel'thalas were created to hide their kingdom from demons who would sniff out their magic use. Again, while it's likely not considered as dangerous as it was back in the rpg, but arcane magic is definitely NOT benign. It is addictive, often makes people crazy, and has caused much of the evils on Azeroth. I mean, there's a reason wizards are usually wise and experienced and all that: you need to have a huge amount of willpower to control arcane magic.

Also, according to most sources, fel magic is pure, raw, chaotic arcane magic. It would make sense since the twisting nether is the realm of magic, so it would make sense for fel magic to be a twisted and chaotic version of it.

AND also I wouldn't say monks use the EXACT same magic shaman do, especially since lore-wise shaman vary from culture to culture. They have different philosophies and different ways of harnessing magic. A lot of people say shaman and druids are similar too, and they are in some ways, but the source of their power comes from different things and tend to have different role sin society and different outlooks.

...How did we get on this topic anyway?

Anyway, I'm still cautious that they'll add subraces anytime soon. They seem to have no plans at all to do so. I do hope, however vain that hope might be, that someone at blizzard is reading this and sees how much we want this.
    Last edited by Psychotrip; 2014-03-10 at 05:22 AM.
    Some people really like flavor. Occasionally subsisting on nutrient paste just doesn't feel the same as eating a steak. I get that flavor isn't for everyone, but I doubt removing all cosmetic indicators from the game would be appealing either. Nobody want to log in, queue to fight modestly sized blue checked box boss #7, initiate combat using an attack sequence of abilities 1-7 with a 13 beat repeat coda intermittently, and collect item level 630 slot 7 gear either.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotrip View Post
    Well arcane magic isn't "corrupt" so much as it is often too much for mortals to handle without going crazy with power. It attracts demons and tends to make people crazy and impulsive. The RPG goes into MUCH more detail, but it's not canon anymore so I wont cite it. The way it reflects upon the actual storyline (particularly in the war of the ancients) and current lore seems to still hold true. Arcane magic is like a power mortals weren't meant to control. The entire Council of tirisfal was created to keep tabs on arcane magic use and its ability to attract demons. Dalaran was constantly being attacked by demons who would rip through the space time continuum because their magic loosened the veil between our world and the Nether. Those runestones in Quel'thalas were created to hide their kingdom from demons who would sniff out their magic use. Again, while it's likely not considered as dangerous as it was back in the rpg, but arcane magic is definitely NOT benign. It is addictive, often makes people crazy, and has caused much of the evils on Azeroth.

Also, according to most sources, fel magic is pure, raw, chaotic arcane magic. It would make sense since the twisting nether is the realm of magic, so it would make sense for fel magic to be a twisted and chaotic version of it.

...How did we get on this topic anyway?

Anyway, I'm still cautious that they'll add subraces anytime soon. They seem to have no plans at all to do so. I do hope, however vain that hope might be, that someone at blizzard is reading this and sees how much we want this.
    yeah but that really has nothing to do with arcane magic itself and more to do with the fact that arcane magic is one of the easiest ones to learn and mortals in general are power hungry.

demons seek out magic users because if a planet has beings capable of using magic they can bolster their forces, its also one of the only ways for the legion to figure out which planets have life on them without going through the hassle of getting on the planet in the first place.

if it wasnt for arcane magic we wouldnt have night elves in the first place, we wouldnt have jinyu, we probably wouldnt have pandaren and we wouldnt have the grummles.

we would just have trolls, murlocs, furbolg, and troggs.

without arcane magic advancing the evolution of these creatures we probably wouldnt have half the races in azeroth as we do now.

the draenei have been masters of arcane for thousands of years and they certainly dont look corrupted by it, if it wasnt for sargeras argus would likely still be a utopia

10+ Year Old Account
    In the volcanic ashlands of northwestern Georgia (Also known as Atlanta).
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    yeah but that really has nothing to do with arcane magic itself and more to do with the fact that arcane magic is one of the easiest ones to learn and mortals in general are power hungry.

demons seek out magic users because if a planet has beings capable of using magic they can bolster their forces, its also one of the only ways for the legion to figure out which planets have life on them without going through the hassle of getting on the planet in the first place.

if it wasnt for arcane magic we wouldnt have night elves in the first place, we wouldnt have jinyu, we probably wouldnt have pandaren and we wouldnt have the grummles.

we would just have trolls, murlocs, furbolg, and troggs.

without arcane magic advancing the evolution of these creatures we probably wouldnt have half the races in azeroth as we do now.

the draenei have been masters of arcane for thousands of years and they certainly dont look corrupted by it, if it wasnt for sargeras argus would likely still be a utopia
    It's not that it's easy to use. Quite the contrary. If it were easy to use, then arcanists (mages, warlocks, necromancers, anyone who uses any form of arcane magic) would be far more common lore-wise than they are. If anyone could use it, everyone would use it. Based on every piece of lore we've had so far, arcane magic is addictive, and it often drives mortals insane. No one is saying it's "OMFG SO EVIL STAY AWAY". You're simplifying it too much. It's a chaotic energy that mortals have tried to harness for thousands of years. Archimonde himself despised Dalaran because they tried to "Steal" the powers of arcane magic, which he believed should be reserved for the denizens of the Twisting Nether.

The Twisting Nether is the realm of magic. It's pure arcane magic. When mortals try to harness that power it often (not always) but often goes wrong without a HUGE amount of trianing and a bit of luck.

The highborne were corrupted by it and are still addicted to it.

The blood elves and high elves were / are incredibly addicted to it. Blood elves used fel magic because IT IS ARCANE MAGIC, just arcane magic in its purest, most chaotic form. These are facts.

Draenei can use it because they're the masters of magic in general (they were arguably the first mortal arcanists), and they have a crazy amount of willpower AND the light to back them up.

Arcane magic isn't "Evil", but it's sort of like a cosmic force that most people can't handle unless they're super smart, have a huge amount of willpower, or are gods / godlike like the titans.

Now can we please get back on topic?
    Last edited by Psychotrip; 2014-03-10 at 05:32 AM.
    Some people really like flavor. Occasionally subsisting on nutrient paste just doesn't feel the same as eating a steak. I get that flavor isn't for everyone, but I doubt removing all cosmetic indicators from the game would be appealing either. Nobody want to log in, queue to fight modestly sized blue checked box boss #7, initiate combat using an attack sequence of abilities 1-7 with a 13 beat repeat coda intermittently, and collect item level 630 slot 7 gear either.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotrip View Post
    and it often drives mortals insane.
    there is no evidence of this.

argus used arcane magic in almost every part of their lives for thousands of years.
    the highbourne used arcane magic for thousands of years with no major problems
    dalaran has been around for hundreds if not thousands of years and has had no major problems.
    quel'thalas has used arcane magic for thousands of years with no major problems
    pandaria has used arcane magic for thousands of years with no major problems.

fel magic is not the same as arcane magic, that is not cannon. its a different form of magic.
    arcane magic uses the will of its caster to bend reality
    fel magic takes life and converts it to energy, using it drains life from its user and the life around it. blizzard considers it a completely different school of magic.

being addicted to something doesnt make it corrupting. you can become addicted to any form of magic, the high elves didnt become addicted to the arcane because they were using the arcane, they became addicted because the sunwell was literally pumping their bodies with magic 24/7 since their birth and it got taken away.

pain killers on their own are not corrupting. if you get pumped with pain killers 24/7 and then one say someone just shuts them off you will go through withdrawals. not because pain killers are corrupting, but because your body grew dependent on something.

if somebody pumped their body with holy magic or druidic magic or elemental magic the same thing would happen

10+ Year Old Account
    This is getting obnoxious. Off topic.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi