Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Inside View Post
    Far out man. This is what i get for just $20 more.

Are you in an area where you can't get better?
    Yes, you are probably on cable? NBN is pretty rare. But my speed is what I get because ADSL2+ is all there is and I am on the edge of the exchange distance limit. Btw I live just outside of Campbelltown. EDIT: Nearly half of everyone in Australia can't get better than what I have..

Quote Originally Posted by Murderdoll View Post
    Its what gamers and people who download movies want. Its not what the country needs.

To have it would be nice.
    Oh and that part about..What was it?.... OH YEAH! Educational purposes, medical purposes, business purposes. Especially small business. But nah, who the fuck needs those things right?....Right?!??!?
    Last edited by Damedrius; 2014-03-10 at 07:53 AM.
    This is not a part of the post I just made.

Its what gamers and people who download movies want. Its not what the country needs.

To have it would be nice.

End of the day, Fibre isnt going to solve this issue. The biggest issue is the sheer distance between countries.
    Disregarding games, the network needs to be badly upgraded. Use above as an example, $100/month for 3mbps. Australias net infrastructure is old and decaying and time for a damn update.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Damedrius View Post
    Yes, you are probably on cable? NBN is pretty rare. But my speed is what I get because ADSL2+ is all there is and I am on the edge of the exchange distance limit. Btw I live just outside of Campbelltown. EDIT: Nearly half of everyone in Australia can't get better than what I have..
    Yeah that sucks, I used to get the same thing on adsl2+.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Oh and that part about..What was it?.... OH YEAH! Educational purposes, medical purposes, business purposes. Especially small business. But nah, who the fuck needs those things right?....Right?!??!?
    Im not going to turn this thread into a political debate, but this country has its priorities in the wrong order if fast internet is a "need"

Show me a small business that NEEDS this. Anything they do can be done just fine on current speeds. Education - Im sure theyd rather the funds put into the system directly. The computers they have in most schools are probably lucky they can even run the internet.

Medical, sure Ill cop that one. Hell id like it for video conferencing etc but end of the day I can do it just fine now.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Im not going to turn this thread into a political debate, but this country has its priorities in the wrong order if fast internet is a "need"

Show me a small business that NEEDS this. Anything they do can be done just fine on current speeds. Education - Im sure theyd rather the funds put into the system directly. The computers they have in most schools are probably lucky they can even run the internet.

Medical, sure Ill cop that one. Hell id like it for video conferencing etc but end of the day I can do it just fine now.
    Small business that NEEDS this? Photography business, which is often small and privately owned many others businesses also like computer stores, stores in general that wish to compete with the online market and anything that has a website or wants to have a website.. My fathers business, he is a family dispute mediator and cannot do what he wishes to do which would make his life less stressful and provide a remote online mediation service because the internet in this country is shitty in most places especially where we live.

EDIT: Also, for education. I am in year 12 and am doing distance education, often means using assets on the internet. Sometimes my internet is down or performing unbearably poorly and I cannot actually complete my days education. Sometimes it's issues at the school because they generally have shit internet there as well because the government does not give public schools fibre connections.

And more on medical purposes, it is incredibly helpful to the elderly and those with disabilities to have trouble getting out of the house.

EDIT: Just to clarify on the business thing, even on 100mbps download. <1mbps upload is not good enough, it would take days for a photographer to upload a set of their clients photos. I know this because I know someone in photography, they have to upload hundreds of them due to email being the most appealing option of distribution.
    Last edited by Damedrius; 2014-03-10 at 08:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Disregarding games, the network needs to be badly upgraded. Use above as an example, $100/month for 3mbps. Australias net infrastructure is old and decaying and time for a damn update.

IMO that just means someone needs to look at the cost some of these companies are charging.

Im on 100mpbs (to Australian servers) with 250gb on and off download for less than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthreon View Post
    They tried to host servers but our greedy as fuck telecommunications services were going to charge them 10x the amount that they generally pay other countries to host servers in.
    CAN WE STOP PEDDLING THIS BLOODY MYTH
    They approached Telstra, but ONE of many hosts, and got a crap offer. Of course you will get that from Telstra, they are crap even to us.
    So many other providers reached out and said "hey, contact us, we can probably arrange something" and no contact was made.
    We have to accept that they don't give a fuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Small business that NEEDS this? Photography business, which is often small and privately owned many others businesses also like computer stores, stores in general that wish to compete with the online market and anything that has a website or wants to have a website.. My fathers business, he is a family dispute mediator and cannot do what he wishes to do which would make his life less stressful and provide a remote online mediation service because the internet in this country is shitty in most places especially where he lives.
    Sounds like he is after better coverage and stable infrastructure rather than better speeds.

IMO that just means someone needs to look at the cost some of these companies are charging.

Im on 100mpbs (to Australian servers) with 250gb on and off download for less than that.
    As was I. However the same cannot be said for most of the population, even worse for those stuck in areas that cant anything better than adsl1. The fact is that there is a problem, both with the infrastructure AND with how much ISPs are charging.
    Last edited by Evil Inside; 2014-03-10 at 08:04 AM.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

I edited my post to add more clarification to what I was saying, take another look.

Also I can't get anything better Telstra is the ONLY ISP in my area for broadband and the plan I am on gives me the fastest possible speeds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Example of Brisbane Internode NBN for you guys:

To local server (upload sometimes fluctuates to nearly 40Mbit):

To LA (seems to be really inconsistent on an attempt-by-attempt basis and fluctuates with the host that I use):

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    Example of Brisbane Internode NBN for you guys:

To local server:

To LA (seems to be really inconsistent on an attempt-by-attempt basis and fluctuates with the host that I use):

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3360201135
    Thank you, this will hopefully help people understand that distance matters and it's not about what broadband connection your on.

Putting oceanic servers in AU will just divide the oceanic playerbase

Aussies/Kiwis are only ~50% of the oceanic server players, asian countries will have a lower latency connecting to the US than on an australian servers because its just how our internet is wired. Data travels to US first then back to AU, so its almost double the latency.

Same thing happened to SWTOR and Warhammer, some asian guilds stayed on US servers because of how shit latency is.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynai View Post
    Putting oceanic servers in AU will just divide the oceanic playerbase

Aussies/Kiwis are only ~50% of the oceanic server players, asian countries will have a lower latency connecting to the US than on an australian servers because its just how our internet is wired. Data travels to US first then back to AU, so its almost double the latency.

Same thing happened to SWTOR and Warhammer, some asian guilds stayed on US servers because of how shit latency is.
    This point is invalid without any proof that your presented statistics have any merit. Please provide your source next time when making such a bold claim. Oceanic servers are for the oceanic population, not the SEA population which I believe get their own servers.

Oh btw SWTOR and Warhammer servers were empty because barely anyone in Australia played/plays those games.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayb View Post
    I'm in Australia and I don't have this issue with any online games...
    "I don't have any problems, so nobody else should either."

This point is invalid without any proof that your presented statistics have any merit. Please provide your source next time when making such a bold claim. Oceanic servers are for the oceanic population, not the SEA population which I believe get their own servers.

Oh btw SWTOR and Warhammer servers were empty because barely anyone in Australia played/plays those games.
    The aussie servers were pretty full at first when the game just came out. As more and more people hit max level and saw that there was not that much end-game content they just stopped playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Far out man. This is what i get for just $20 more.

176ms to LA.
    What the hell are you on? Find me the plan so I can sign my ass up to that. I'd have to check location first to make sure I can get anything near that, but it's still worth knowing what plan you're on.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    What the hell are you on? Find me the plan so I can sign my ass up to that. I'd have to check location first to make sure I can get anything near that, but it's still worth knowing what plan you're on.
    Optus cable standalone, the original plan is $100 for unlimited data but I got the speedpack to bump the speed to 100mbps. There are lower data plans but I dont think they include the speed pack either. Speed is 30mbps default, speed pack is $15/month extra for upto 50mbps and $20/month extra for upto 100mbps. Click me. I'm on the unlimited plan.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    He's on Optus Unlimited Cable(I think). Live in Sydney City or Brisbane City? Go for it. Don't? Pfft sorry.

10+ Year Old Account
    My NBN is $94.95 for 300gigs of activity, I could change it to a 1TB and go extreme but... na

He's on Optus Unlimited Cable(I think). Live in Sydney City or Brisbane City? Go for it. Don't? Pfft sorry.
    Western Sydney, Penrith to be exact. So not quite in the city.