Deleted

Leveling as Prot

Im currently level 64 using Prot specialization. Everyone keeps telling me to level Ret. I've noticed much higher dps output as Prot. Am I doing it wrong when it comes to Ret? Or should I be more focused on Ret once I hit 85?

There is nothing wrong with levelling in Prot, I levelled my Prot pally that way and still haven't picked up an OS. Are you levelling via quests or dungeons?

Even in questing, tank specs allow you to pick up a lot of mobs at once. And you're effectively invulnerable. And the damage isn't that bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    There is nothing wrong with levelling in Prot, I levelled my Prot pally that way and still haven't picked up an OS. Are you levelling via quests or dungeons?

Even in questing, tank specs allow you to pick up a lot of mobs at once. And you're effectively invulnerable. And the damage isn't that bad.
    Mainly questing, and tanking new dungeons as they unlock for the quest xp. Like you said im able to pull large mob groups and burn them down, while doing rediculous damage. If i get a good crit I can one shot a mob my own level with avengers shield.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leveling tank spec = faster dungeons and queues and less 'well crap I pulled too many and died' downtime (if any at all). Its a great way to level.

All my tanks have been leveled in their tanking specs. If anything I found leveling as dps to be less efficient.

Level in Tank spec - you can pull entire camps and not die. The xp and quest speed is very good. I usually just mount up, charge into and around the camp. It wouldn't be uncommon to have 10+ toons beating on you. Used to be a pain without area looting - not anymore though! This applies to every tank class btw.

Possibly the only dps spec that could match a tanks efficiency is a Warlock.
    Last edited by Balir; 2014-01-10 at 06:11 AM.
    "The further a society drifts from the truth the more it will hate those who speak it" - George Orwell

I've leveled up every class, generally having multiple specs per class (only exception was dk, stayed blood the whole time throughout the leveling process). Leveling as prot as a pally is totally viable and quite quick for most of the process, but for me, its viability dropped off quite quickly with MoP content. I found ret leveling to be much quicker (and quite fun) with MoP. But to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Leveling tank spec = faster dungeons and queues and less 'well crap I pulled too many and died' downtime (if any at all). Its a great way to level.

All my tanks have been leveled in their tanking specs. If anything I found leveling as dps to be less efficient.
    Tanks actually have better resource efficiency and overall damage output for a long while, at least until you get to about the 70 range depending on what abilities you get.

Deleted
    For low levels I think there's no discussion, prot is absolutely OP.

Now with the dual spec when you hit 80/85 you should switch to ret because you will do more damage, and change to prot for dungeons.

Deleted
    Prot is great for leveling, fast ques! ;D

Ret is pretty horrible at low levels. It gets better the higher level you are but Prot isn't bad at all to level as.

I've just finished leveling an alt pally in prot and after leveling my main as ret i can say it alot easier as prot, once you hit pandaria it makes things alot better and for not much of a damage loss

Deleted
    I levelled my tanks as BRM, ProtW, ProtP and blood. Pre-80 you still do tons of damage that you dont notice the differance from a dps spec, but as you pass 80 or 85 youll notice your dps dropping drasticly, I swapped to my dps specs for the last few levels and Id recommend you do the same, otherwise it take forever to kill something.

I have only been prot through leveling

Deleted
    Im leveling my second palli as prot. Much better cause you can pull a shit ton of mobs and not die. Also, you can instantly get into a dungeon.

There's little point to play retribution until 80-85, it can't compete with the ridiculous damage Avenger's Shield does. After 85 you probably want a retri spec for questing though, at that point tanks are really balanced around having vengeance to prop up their damage.

like most have said - prot to cata then spec ret.

prot leveling is the best!

Going to second leveling as Prot. Tanking instances is decent though sort of jarring if you're used to having high haste as a 90 Paladin (you have nothing). But once you get GC it already feels a lot better, and also Sanctity of Battle later on.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by balir View Post
    This applies to every tank class btw.

Possibly the only dps spec that could match a tanks efficiency is a Warlock.
    Even Warriors? o.O

(My level 35 warrior dies when I pull more than 3 mobs ~ )

Quote Originally Posted by Khiyone View Post
    Even Warriors? o.O

(My level 35 warrior dies when I pull more than 3 mobs ~ )
    Oneshot a mob with Shield Slam, heal yourself with victory rush, repeat. Shield Slam and revenge are ridiculous at low levels!