10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't bother me at all, i will more reasons to use my ground mounts :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Idoru View Post

Well, they just sold me a flying mount for WoD so they better let me use it in WoD.
    They will let you use it in WoD naturally, you can even fly with it in say stormwind. But you do know that all the mounts for WoD come with the caveat that you may not be able to fly in draenor at all, so no reason for a refund there even if they won't let you fly at all in draenor. Just like there is no refund for not being able to fly in timeless isle or silvermoon city.

Quote Originally Posted by Raeln View Post
    280% flying is usually done way above the treeline and while mobs are spawning in, combat rarely happens.

Many players moving 200%+ along the ground where many more doodads, NPCs, and particle effects are happening may be a different beast altogether.

I'll be quite honest, I think using ground mounts along with a combination of waypoints like Guild Wars 2 uses would completely remove the need for flight. The "joy" of flight wore off for my by the end of TBC - it's one of those things that are so convenient for skipping around the world that it has a very "no clip, godmode" FPS game type of feel to me. Flying mounts remove all dangers from the world in 99% of the game where they are allowed.

Now, if there were suddenly weather effects or random wyverns/NPCs that might just happen to be almost anywhere, that'd be different.

It is no surprise that people love flying mounts because it is the essentially the same as turning godmode on as long as one flies 20 yards above the ground (except around enemy cities).
    The phasing in and out of mobs is done for network performance and isn't an engine restriction and could be easily adjusted. There's no difference between a faster ground mount or gliding just above the ground on your flying mount. There is no technical restriction preventing it. If mobs are loading slower than you are traveling it is a network issue.

Flight points are a horrible way of traveling, you throw some coins at a vendor and you skip all the mobs inbetween, is boring as hell as you just sit there staring at your screen and there is no immersion what so ever. There is no danger what so ever, even flying mounts can and do get aggro from flying sources (birds over halfhill, dragons in coldara), so if your complaint is that with flying mounts there is no danger and it allows you to skip enemies and removes immersion in the game then flight points are not the answer to the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Flight points are a horrible way of traveling, you throw some coins at a vendor and you skip all the mobs inbetween, is boring as hell as you just sit there staring at your screen and there is no immersion what so ever. There is no danger what so ever, even flying mounts can and do get aggro from flying sources (birds over halfhill, dragons in coldara), so if your complaint is that with flying mounts there is no danger and it allows you to skip enemies and removes immersion in the game then flight points are not the answer to the problem.
    Flight points can only get you from one place to another between solid points, not freely where ever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    Flight points can only get you from one place to another between solid points, not freely where ever you want.
    And yet you fail to understad that the rest of the points I brought up still mean that flight points are not a good alternative to not being able to fly. If I can go take a shit and still get where I want to go safely then there is no immersion and no danger.

Enjoy your flight points and expensive mats, I will just play world of Queue-craft until I can fly again.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Quests will have you go deep into mob territory, which flying mounts will protect you up to the one NPC boss you need to kill.

PvP is atm too safe. If you want to be safe, go to a nearby town with friendly guards or hearth to you capital. With flying mounts everywhere that's flyable is considered safe; just press the spacebar.

Flying points are strictly taxi service from one town to another. If you want to travel safety between the two, then it is most definitely the answer.

OT: I do wish it were the case of no flying for the entire x-pac. Only way I see this happening is if Blizz gets really good feedback based on the first patch of WoD's flight restriction. But seeing that there is a flying mount offered with the Deluxe Edition WoD, I'm doubting this is what Blizz is planning.

Okay, can we just propose flying is removed on PvP servers, because I'm seeing a lot of "flying mounts should be removed because it makes everywhere a safe zone on PvP servers."

That's all good and well, but I don't play on a PvP server and don't give a shit about PvP, so why would I have to be affected by it?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Okay, can we just propose flying is removed on PvP servers, because I'm seeing a lot of "flying mounts should be removed because it makes everywhere a safe zone on PvP servers."

That's all good and well, but I don't play on a PvP server and don't give a shit about PvP, so why would I have to be affected by it?
    100% on board with that. Give the pvpers their living world where they can pvp to their hearts content and leave us pve people in peace.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merisan View Post
    Who says this would be a change for hardcore players? What you're saying is an insult to casual players. Just because some of us don't play this game 12 hours every day, it doesn't mean that we don't want WoW to feel like a big, meaningful world. WoW doesn't have to feel like McDonald's in order to appeal to casual players. A lot of us want to immerse ourselves in the game instead of rushing through all the content in order to get more stats on our gear. It's hardcore players who want to min max everything and reduce WoW to a game of numbers.
    I know I say this a lot but.... do you fly now? IF so, get off your flying mount and ride if that's what you're into. If you want all of that stuff but fly now you're a hypocrite. Nothing in the game needs to change for you to ride everywhere so you can get the feeling of a big, meaningful world. All that needs to change is you. Most importantly, I don't see why *I* should have a change imposed on me just because you want something when you can get your wish now.

Ah, but you fly, I bet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Quests will have you go deep into mob territory, which flying mounts will protect you up to the one NPC boss you need to kill.
    The entire 'but flying trivializes some things' is silly when Blizzard's had this long to deal with it. I mean, seriously, flying has been in the game for SEVEN YEARS. By this point, Blizzard could design things like your hypothetical quest to account for flying. Put up anti aircraft fire or, (gasp) flying NPCs that engage you if you're not really careful. If I *am* careful and sneaky then flying to avoid a crowd of mobs is good tactics and we all want to reward good players, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    Anyone saying "Making flying mounts useless would make no sense!" should see into ground mounts being mostly useless now.
    Think before you post. You can use ground mounts fine now. If flying was disallowed, you would NOT be able to use them. See the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    We can't fly during leveling anyway, so this really is a non-issue to the whole no flying at max level debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Extremity View Post
    The phasing in and out of mobs is done for network performance and isn't an engine restriction and could be easily adjusted. There's no difference between a faster ground mount or gliding just above the ground on your flying mount. There is no technical restriction preventing it. If mobs are loading slower than you are traveling it is a network issue.
    It's an issue that has been present since TBC and flying mounts. It is particularly noticeable on a paladin.

This is a WoW thing - other MMOs (even with higher end graphics) do not have such issues. I have no doubt that they retooled how doodads and NPCs/players spawn in to help with server/network performance but it's been this way for a very long time and makes for a frustrating experience sometimes (primetime) trying to find mining/herb nodes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    The entire 'but flying trivializes some things' is silly when Blizzard's had this long to deal with it. I mean, seriously, flying has been in the game for SEVEN YEARS. By this point, Blizzard could design things like your hypothetical quest to account for flying. Put up anti aircraft fire or, (gasp) flying NPCs that engage you if you're not really careful. If I *am* careful and sneaky then flying to avoid a crowd of mobs is good tactics and we all want to reward good players, right?
    In the past, Blizzard primarily used daily quest hubs to control endgame content. It is obvious that in WoD, they plan on using more... for lack of a better descriptor - dynamic event, to control endgame content. Blizzard seems to feel that flying would harm these dynamic events (read: rare boss mobs). Essentially expect Timeless Isle stuff everywhere.

Think before you post. You can use ground mounts fine now. If flying was disallowed, you would NOT be able to use them. See the difference?
    Ground mounts are not fine. No one uses them unless it is an area that is expressly flagged to forbid flying mounts.

I'm not entirely against flying mounts but like with most things, there should be a trade-off for using them. Currently there is none. I see nothing wrong with limiting them in some way (flight speed, cooldown, "fuel/energy" resource, maintenance cost somehow).

As they currently are though, they are basically a "I got godmode on" switch for 99% of the open world.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the past, Blizzard primarily used daily quest hubs to control endgame content. It is obvious that in WoD, they plan on using more... for lack of a better descriptor - dynamic event, to control endgame content. Blizzard seems to feel that flying would harm these dynamic events (read: rare boss mobs). Essentially expect Timeless Isle stuff everywhere.
    n
    And flying has been in game for seven years. If they CHOOSE not to account for the capability when designing new content that's laziness or incompetence at this point. Also Timeless was boring after the first few days. If that becomes a mainstay of the WoD world it will be a short expansion for me.

I'm not entirely against flying mounts but like with most things, there should be a trade-off for using them. Currently there is none. I see nothing wrong with limiting them in some way (flight speed, cooldown, "fuel/energy" resource, maintenance cost somehow).

As they currently are though, they are basically a "I got godmode on" switch for 99% of the open world.
    So get off your mount. Sorry, but I'm tired of the complaining about a game feature that's been around for 75% of the life of the game. Flying doesn't have to hurt anything at all if the designers don't fight the fact that it's there and start getting creative about how to design a world in which players can fly.

Think of it this way... when airplanes were invented and used in warfare did military strategists whine about it? Or did they say "hmm, the other side can fly over us... how can we negate this new advantage?" The latter, of course. They adapted. Blizzard (and the players) should have adapted by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    People need to stop and think:

Blizz has made a point of selling Flying mounts. They made a point of adding flight to every expansion thus far. They've even stated that 6.1 will include some small "legendary type" quest where flying will be unlocked, rather than just purchased for a hefty sum. 60 pages of people making mountains of molehills when common sense dictates there will ALWAYS be flight in the bulk of an expansion. The main reason I will NEVER return to Vash'Jir is because there is no flying available.

They are even including a FLYING mount with the Collector's Edition. Come on people. Think. I promise, knowledge is not our enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    n
    And flying has been in game for seven years. If they CHOOSE not to account for the capability when designing new content that's laziness or incompetence at this point. Also Timeless was boring after the first few days. If that becomes a mainstay of the WoD world it will be a short expansion for me.
    Daily quests have been in the game nearly as long as flying mounts and they are getting axed for the most part, from what I've gathered.

There is really not much they can really do to limit the power of flying mounts without breaking them in some way. Likely the least confusing way to do it is actually disable them on the latest content in the game, then re-enable them later.

So get off your mount. Sorry, but I'm tired of the complaining about a game feature that's been around for 75% of the life of the game. Flying doesn't have to hurt anything at all if the designers don't fight the fact that it's there and start getting creative about how to design a world in which players can fly.
    So you would be fine if the devs spent an unknown number of hours and dollars to design weather-based mechanics, air currents, fake ceilings, airborne roaming elite NPCs, a "fuel/energy" resource for flying mounts or any other concept to act as a trade-off for the "godmode" that flying mounts give to players?

Somehow, I think that would cause more outrage than just disabling them in the current content until the next patch.

As for me getting off my flying mount and using a ground mount - uh, thanks - that basically means that I will be barely able to gather any mining/herb nodes as I watch all the 450%+ fliers swoop and grab them before I can get there. Solid plan, brah.

There is no trade-off for using flying mounts. They can be used everywhere you can use a ground mount. There is absolutely no trade-off for choosing a flyer over ground, at any time.

If the area is flyable and it's not an enemy NPC camp/city - it's like typing /godmode & /noclip.

Think of it this way... when airplanes were invented and used in warfare did military strategists whine about it? Or did they say "hmm, the other side can fly over us... how can we negate this new advantage?" The latter, of course. They adapted. Blizzard (and the players) should have adapted by now.
    Really?

Ever heard of surface to air missiles? RPGs? SAMs?

How about the production and maintenance costs of airplanes compared to land-based vehicles?

How about how you can't land 99% of the airplanes in the world without a very costly airstrip - which essentially means your example of military based air support is more akin to flightpaths than flying mounts, since air force missions have to start at X and end at Y locations. The real world isn't like Agents of Shield where their jumbojet can just set down in someone's backyard with their magical VTOL engines.

Bad analogy is bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    People need to stop and think:

Blizz has made a point of selling Flying mounts. They made a point of adding flight to every expansion thus far. They've even stated that 6.1 will include some small "legendary type" quest where flying will be unlocked, rather than just purchased for a hefty sum. 60 pages of people making mountains of molehills when common sense dictates there will ALWAYS be flight in the bulk of an expansion. The main reason I will NEVER return to Vash'Jir is because there is no flying available.

They are even including a FLYING mount with the Collector's Edition. Come on people. Think. I promise, knowledge is not our enemy.
    FWIW: you can fly in Vash'Jir.

Also, flying is just swimming really fast as far as the game engine cares.

Deleted
    Bet they havent even taken pvp servers into consideration when designing it. PVE>ALL and no flying will make us quest slower, thats all. The thing that it helps PVP is just bonus and many are after that as well. PVPers just got lucky this time, nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by z4x View Post
    Bet they havent even taken pvp servers into consideration when designing it. PVE>ALL and no flying will make us quest slower, thats all. The thing that it helps PVP is just bonus and many are after that as well. PVPers just got lucky this time, nothing else.
    We can't fly during leveling anyway, which is when you do 99% of the questing.

15+ Year Old Account
    So you would be fine if the devs spent an unknown number of hours and dollars to design weather-based mechanics, air currents, fake ceilings, airborne roaming elite NPCs, a "fuel/energy" resource for flying mounts or any other concept to act as a trade-off for the "godmode" that flying mounts give to players?

Somehow, I think that would cause more outrage than just disabling them in the current content until the next patch.

As for me getting off my flying mount and using a ground mount - uh, thanks - that basically means that I will be barely able to gather any mining/herb nodes as I watch all the 450%+ fliers swoop and grab them before I can get there. Solid plan, brah.

There is no trade-off for using flying mounts. They can be used everywhere you can use a ground mount. There is absolutely no trade-off for choosing a flyer over ground, at any time.

If the area is flyable and it's not an enemy NPC camp/city - it's like typing /godmode & /noclip.
    They should have been designing those things years ago, so yes. Also, flying isn't godmode. You can't fly into enemies and kill them. Flying mounts don't help kill anything. They help you skip things and get places faster, but nothing dies because of a flying mount. Also, you are wrong about the ground mounts. There are tons of places that allow ground mounts that don't allow flying mounts. Not only all the MoP islands, but lots of dungeons, battlegrounds and raids have places you can use ground mounts but not flying mounts.

Stop throwing a hissy fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Valock View Post
    At least the world will feel x10 bigger with only ground mounts. And even better, DANGEROUS.
    You people need to lay off the mind-altering drugs. Dangerous? Seriously? That's funny.

Flying mounts are being delayed a patch for PVE reasons.

Not PVP. That's just a happy coincidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.