Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Healing Problem at Spoils HC 10 Man - Disc Priest

Yesterday We had Our first wipes at Spoils HC 10.

Raid Comp:
    1st Group: Monk Tank, Resto Druid, Rogue, Frost Mage, Balance Druid
    2nd Group: Prot War, Disc Priest, Destro Lock, Ele Shaman, BM Hunter

We had of course a lot of problems because we have no exp on this encounter.

One of our main problems was the Disc Priest struggling a lot to keep his party alive, especially after AOE damage from Mogu Elders.
    On the other hand the Resto druid had no problems at all healing his party. We also tried to switch sides but nothing changed.

Can you please check our logs and give some tips to our disc Priest (567 ilvl)?

worldoflogs.com/reports/ppewp8j3c6mremiz/

Server: EU Nemesis
    Guild: Easymøde

I don't have the time to really look at the logs, but his breakdown seems decent from the few I looked at. It's actually kind of ironic he's having issues with the Mogu side rather than Mantid side as a Disc priest. Regardless, the strategy for Mogu with my group was to save hero for the first boss. Spirit Shell for the first AoE, then use a raid CD such as devo or barrier for the next, and so on with every one. Then we pull the next boss with all CDs back up and repeat it. A big issue my group had, and you may be having, is not the healer per se. Rather, the boss is up for too long and the healer eventually can't keep up. But if your switched healers like you said, and your resto is having no issues, I doubt it's a DPS problem.

In case this effects anything at all, as a Disc priest I had been going Mantid side first, then end in Mogu. Once you get to Mogu, I have usually ~70-90% mana left depending on how well the group is doing. This way, I can play a very unsustainable healing style without any long term mana issues down the road (since the fight ends). PoH spam + PWS spam for example, is much higher HPS than atonement but costs much more mana.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathfinger View Post
    Yesterday We had Our first wipes at Spoils HC 10.

Raid Comp:
    1st Group: Monk Tank, Resto Druid, Rogue, Frost Mage, Balance Druid
    2nd Group: Prot War, Disc Priest, Destro Lock, Ele Shaman, BM Hunter

We had of course a lot of problems because we have no exp on this encounter.

One of our main problems was the Disc Priest struggling a lot to keep his party alive, especially after AOE damage from Mogu Elders.
    On the other hand the Resto druid had no problems at all healing his party. We also tried to switch sides but nothing changed.

Can you please check our logs and give some tips to our disc Priest (567 ilvl)?

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/ppewp...?s=8948&e=9197

Server: EU Nemesis
    Guild: Easymøde
    Fixed your link.

Unfortunately he logged out in shadow so I can't see his gear *shakes fist* but I do see a few issues and suspect that his crit might be low. As Larynx has already mentioned, he should definitely be using SS for the big mogus as much as possible.... he didn't use it very much on most attempts. More DA, which will likely happen with more atonement, more spirit shell, more poh, more solace. I don't think that pw: shield should be so high on so many attempts.

hero is usually used on this boss sinces its second room for me.

Pop SS then continue as normal throw some shields around and halo should be enough to keep the group alive, as long as there is only 2-3 adds up at a time max there shouldn't be anyone going below 50% hp in one go, there is always binding heal if really needed but atonement and shields should be enough to maintain the group, more atonement means the boss will die faster but the damage is not that high.

10+ Year Old Account
    My rotation for Mogu is AA -> IF -> Cascade -> PW:S Spam -> SS -> AA -> Cascade, usually by that time, it's dead. You need to make sure the DPS on the Mogu side are top of statue duty, as if more that 3-4 out can get really hard to catch up for Disc. I don't like to use Halo here because I like being able to get multiple Cascades off per boss.

The key imo is keeping people from not taking damage, as it can be hard to catch back up, especially if you're casting a critical PoH and a statue spawns on you and knocks you back. IMO, Mantid is harder to heal for Disc than Mogu, dropping off bomb can get really sketchy. Remember to help either smite the boss or smite the statues if you have a spare GCD (you should, expecially to get a Penance/HF in)

Make sure he's utilizing both his own cds (barrier/SS) and those of his party's (RC/Demo Banner/HTT/AG). He can even call for personals/healthstones if he's really in a bind. Also make sure there aren't too many statues up at once, and as noted above, hero for the first big guy on mogu side.

This is one of those bosses who are easier as holy (and you will be doing quite a bit of dps too).

Deleted
    SS is really the key to Mogu. If he's still having problems and if your dps is good enough, tell dps to kill the small mogu adds instantly as they spawn. If they're fast enough, the boss won't hit a buffed blast, but the mobs have to die within like 4 seconds.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    As a disc priest who has fully cleared heroic 10, I admit I had problems when we first encountered this boss. The more difficult side is definitely the mantid side, depending on bomb rng. Speaking in regards to that side, I have a little routine. First off, divine star is the most OP healing ability in game right now, however, this fight has alot of movement and aligning your group can be difficult. As a result, I choose cascade.

When the first big box is opened, position yourself midway between ranged DPS and the tanks. Spirit shell and PoH yourself so as to hit everyone. That will buy you some time and usually he's down to 70%ish before you get your first bomb. Don't spam PWS, in fact, save them and DO NOT put weakened soul on anyone aside from the tank until you get your first bomb. Now start putting up PWS while dropping off your bombs and try to re-position yourself to fit in a PoH. When you get your second bomb, on the move to drop it off, pop cascade. Obviously, with the continuous AoE damage going out, it should be common place to keep PoM on cd.

Ultimately, its a balance of positioning yourself and PoHing, strategically using PWS and cascade while on the move to drop bombs and keeping PoM on cd. There will be lul times and you can fit in plenty of smite/penance heals but for the big guys themselves, the spell selection is pretty rigid. Remember, the 6s following a PWS you have borrowed time added haste and it's a great time to fit in an ultra fast, smart heal penance. Furthermore, PWS the tank and you now have a quick sub 2s PoH. If things are getting hairy and you get a bomb but cascade is on cd and/or lots of weakened souls, just drop a barrier on your way out as this will allow you to forget about the tank/melee for a few.

Often times, we found out the mob was just living too damn long and healing just can't keep up. If you have multi-dotters on your side, tell them to quit wasting globals on mobs that don't need to immediately die until the big box is dead. In fact, try to make sure you have only the big box open until he's sub 10%.

Also, set up a tellmewhen or weakaura to show the zerker buff the adds cast and offensively dispel it asap. Shaman purge or better yet, mage spell steal is nice for that too.

As for the mogu side, the single biggest things are opening the boxes at a decent pace and proper order. The damage from the big box is highly predictable so you should have no problem with spell selection.

Just go holy, much better for spoils.

/thread

Most of the deads in mogu are because the raid isnt killing the statues, so the raid is taking 500-600k of damage.

Never really noticed a problem there myself when running disc. Maybe it is a bit harder if you don't get the tidal wave, but then you just gotta keep your head cool and rely on poh. Also if the statues are many and not got rid of, theres no way to keep up.

Mostly I get the healing buff so I just tell raid to stay in a moderate stack in front of me while I take care of the sparks.

Quote Originally Posted by XyroN View Post

/thread
    no its not, its easy enough to keep ppl alive but the dps from a disc pushing 200k plus with the buff is more helpful than being holy, pre SS before major damage hits in and halo if you really need to heal, otherwise a few binding heals and atonement is more than enough, the mogu boss is even easier to keep ppl alive rather than the mantid one since if you get bombs you can't heal for a few secs while dropping them.

I note that your disc priest is using the healing cloak. Please don't. This fight is all about preventing the need to heal by getting the most damage out as possible (and getting DA). That and your tanks pulling stuff in the right order to not end up with sparks flying across while a big box is open.

Positioning is very key on this fight. When we were running tens, I was running mindbender (he has solace), twisted fate, and divine star. Make the dps stand in front of you, so you hit all five friendlies and all of the hostiles with your divine star and do so on cooldown (and the healing buff, if you have it, will heal for you part of the time making more atonement time for you and kill more of the adds - the healing thing is most of the health of a spark).

Use the mindbender offensively to dps the big stuff down. Spirit shell the aoe on the big guys on the mogu side. You probably want to save the ele's healing cooldowns for the mantid side if you have to run more than once in a row.

*Note that Prayer of mending is broken on this fight and will not bounce to anyone after it heals the initial target.* If you are expecting PoM to heal the aoe damage for you, you are going to be in a world of hurt.

Binding heal glyph is handy here. You heal yourself and the tank and the dps that needs it most.

Use your atonement to keep up twisted fate (that looks good), but get the extra dps off the cloak.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    no its not, its easy enough to keep ppl alive but the dps from a disc pushing 200k plus with the buff is more helpful than being holy, pre SS before major damage hits in and halo if you really need to heal, otherwise a few binding heals and atonement is more than enough, the mogu boss is even easier to keep ppl alive rather than the mantid one since if you get bombs you can't heal for a few secs while dropping them.
    This is assuming holy deals no damage (aside from the buff) which is only the case if played wrong. Most of the fight you can be in smite chakra doing damage in this fight, thus potentially doing more damage than disc (who do not get additional damage on AoE).

Deleted
    The group I raid with has just come up against heroic 10 man spoils. Thank you for the advice in this thread, especially the note that PoM doesn't work correctly. I wasn't aware of that.

Our disc in our alt run literally just atonements, with cascade on CD. We do two in a row, and it's a complete non-issue. Mind that he was 569 ilvl when doing tonights kill (got a new neck from spoils and weapon from sha that bumped him up after raid) - here is his breakdown for the first room:
    http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...60&end=9776082

Essentially, if you're pulling more than just the big mogu, you'll probably end up wiping (especially the burial urns are very dangerous). The healing is very, very, very non-intensive on the mogu side. You get 10 seconds or something stupid like that in between each cast, atonement should be more than enough to keep this up (with a few shields thrown in if you have no staff-buff).

Note that I disagree with his choise of Cascade, though. I'd pick halo over it any day.

Isn't it quite easy to keep people alive just thru pre SS and AA + PoH with level 90 talent on CD? PoH should easily outheal the damage. Raid CDs I assume would make it trivial. I only did this fight twice in 10m on my ~555 ilvl alt but don't remember it being an issue whatsoever.
    Last edited by Splerks; 2014-03-14 at 07:13 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by XyroN View Post

/thread
    I did it as a disc and I found this fight to be one of the easiest. Mantid side is a little bit harder than the mogu side but still nothing to worry about. It was probably easy because I did when I had 570 ilvl.

In the Mogu side, I advise tanking the big guy (with your disc priest with his back on the mantid door in case he has the healing buff) in the middle of the room with a lot of cleave/chain lightning/aoe... This way, the adds get destroyed almost instantly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Splerks View Post
    Isn't it quite easy to keep people alive just thru pre SS and AA + PoH with level 90 talent on CD? PoH should easily outheal the damage. Raid CDs I assume would make it trivial. I only did this fight twice in 10m on my ~555 ilvl alt but don't remember it being an issue whatsoever.
    It is easy but if damage dealers are bad and don't kill the adds fast enough, it can become hard.

Deleted
    The group I raid with had our first proper attempts on this last night. Things were pretty painful at first but became much easier on the Mogu side once I had yelled at them enough to stack in front of me. Not behind me. Not jumping to the side. In front of me. I am finding starting on Mogu and then progressing to Mantid to be much kinder on my mana however I would like some advice.

Generally, towards the end of the big Mantid adds, I am finding that people dip quite low if I take two Set to Blow in a row. Is there anyway I can better prepare for this? I am finding it something of a gamble as to when to use SS as there is always the chance for that I'll effectively lose it due to having to dump bombs. At the moment I am typically using a sort of personal rotation of Atonement, DS on CD, Barrier, DS to pull people back up and gain some DA and then Spirit Shell after a Set to Blow cast to dampen the final brunt of the damage. If I have to move out I resort to PW:S spam and then Binding Heal / PoH and using nitro boost and rocket jump to get back into the fray quickly.

I just noticed that I haven't been offensively dispelling so I'll be weaving that in next time. Thus far, our best attempt is the side I am on being cleared and waiting for the other side but I still feel that we are very dependent on getting the Staff of Resonating Water for the extra DPS.

Aside from asking the DPS to hit things harder and faster (which would make my life infinitely easier) is there much else that I can do? Unfortunately, I don't have access to logs but any general tips for the Mantid big adds? The rest of Mantid is feeling very easy. Another question for those more in the know - how do the aggro mechanics on the shadow urns (Mogu side) work? Does damage done to the shadow urn build aggro on the Mogu mob?