Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Don't think it is going to be for the whole xpac just till the first patch which still sucks but better than the whole xpac so relax

Quote Originally Posted by kenshinag View Post
    Sheesh. Relax and go drink a glass of water or something. Just so mad.
    i am indeed quite mad. mad enough to threaten physical violence on this slimeball that's ruining the game i've had years of fun in. i don't normally get mad, but when i do, i'm ready to demolish ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Laylriana View Post
    If there is no flying in Draenor then they should be able to release it sooner since everything can be flat. The reason they don't let us fly in Silvermoon is because everything is flat and it would take too much time to change the textures, right? So seems to me it's logical that WOD can be released sooner since the terrain can be flat.
    Read it again. No flying at RELEASE. Its been said flying will be allowed after a few months. So yes they still have to make the entire place flying-proof and make sure we can't fly out of bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am indeed quite mad. mad enough to threaten physical violence on this slimeball that's ruining the game i've had years of fun in. i don't normally get mad, but when i do, i'm ready to demolish ass.
    I get that, but it's okay. Calm down. It's not worth getting upset over. Did you know that stress actually destroys brain cell tissue? That means every time you get flipping mad, you slowly but surely are getting dumber. Grow with the game, not against it. If you love the game then using a ground mount isn't going to stop you from doing the things you love, which I'm assuming is PVP, raiding, dungeons, questing, etc.

I just want to point out that the guy isn't doing this because he's got a personal vendetta to fulfill against you. He's just making decisions that he feels may be best for the game at this point in time. There are a lot of people that are asking for what he's proposing. The same amount of people that, like you, are of the opinion that it's not a good idea. Either way, it's something him and Blizzard are going to try. If they allowed flying from the start like how you want, pro-ground mount people would be just as upset as you.

It's not worth the stress, it's all I'm saying. Carry on.

Well, so, Heroes of the Storm is just League of Legends.. That's a bummer. I wanted a Smash Bros. type game..
    No flying even at max level? That's so sad... Unless of course roads are actually 99% safe to travel on, and/or taxi's are really smart and don't fly me all over the place before I reach my destination. Anyway that's my 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Incitatus View Post
    Again, taking flight away isn't a "logical" thing to do. It is a design "out". If they remove flight entirely, the game would be "devolving" rather than evolving.

Yes, I play other games. Those games do not include the growth of a character over 9+ years. Gaining an ability, then having it taken away, is not a logical design.

I am not "threatening" to leave the game, I am saying that I will leave the game if it is no longer the game that I am interested in. I may have already reached that point.
    Sure it's logical, if there isn't a way to make flying more interesting or provide something that isn't annoying to deal with that would knock you off/slow you down or something else to equalize the advantages, then you disable it. It isn't a 'design "out"', whatever that is. It's a design intent, as in they intend to design content without requiring flying (at first).

The whole gaining then losing an ability argument is pretty flawed if you think about it. How often have they removed/changed/merged abilities in each expansion? Old school talents? Weapon skill ups? It's quite an extensive list. Flying is just another one of those that are being toned down.

Your last point is fine, if it wasn't a game I was interested in anymore I would leave also. I'm just trying to point out that people trying to make such a huge thing out of the loss of flight is a bit crazy. It's a minor feature of convenience and isn't necessary to experience the game (sure it might be great, and very useful, but this is really what it comes down to).
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

Quote Originally Posted by Sylreick View Post
    Sure it's logical, if there isn't a way to make flying more interesting or provide something that isn't annoying to deal with that would knock you off/slow you down or something else to equalize the advantages, then you disable it. It isn't a 'design "out"', whatever that is. It's a design intent, as in they intend to design content without requiring flying (at first).

The whole gaining then losing an ability argument is pretty flawed if you think about it. How often have they removed/changed/merged abilities in each expansion? Old school talents? Weapon skill ups? It's quite an extensive list. Flying is just another one of those that are being toned down.

Your last point is fine, if it wasn't a game I was interested in anymore I would leave also. I'm just trying to point out that people trying to make such a huge thing out of the loss of flight is a bit crazy. It's a minor feature of convenience and isn't necessary to experience the game (sure it might be great, and very useful, but this is really what it comes down to).
    It isn't a major thing to YOU, but it IS a major thing to others. Those people will leave, people with your beliefs will enjoy it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freakyduck View Post
    You're right, but then the baseless and blind support for the restriction/potential removal of flight coming in WoD should stop as well to see how it plays out. Yet we won't see that happen either. This is part of what Blizzard wants though. They want people to react with the information given otherwise they wouldn't put it out there yet. It has been stated since Blizzcon that flying would be restricted, to add this other potential that it might not be part of WoD at all was just them seeking the reaction of the players. To put this simply: The reactions to what Blizzard posted are "working as intended".

I'm not sure what you expect from people that are voicing their opinions on this subject. A lengthy essay? Bullet points? Power Point Presentation? A simple "I disagree with Blizzard on this" doesn't count as a valid reason to you? Can say the same for every "argument" that supports not having flying in WoD, restricted or removed completely. Immersion will still happen, immature players will still play and torment you, world pvp will still be as dead as it is today.
    The reason they put out the info is to prepare people, get them used to the idea. The reactions will come when alpha/beta is out and people are trying it. Initial reactions are fine, but they're not usually constructive without context and thus not actionable when working on the content.

The simple I disagree is fine, but not useful in any way. Why would you disagree? What about flying would you miss most? Why is it a necessary part of endgame? If you find it necessary for such and such reasons, then what if they implemented something to work similarly without cutting out chunks of content they create? Something more substantial than the desire for convenience and views of the flier from above (which isn't even definite that we won't be able to do later in the expansion).
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

The reason they put out the info is to prepare people, get them used to the idea. The reactions will come when alpha/beta is out and people are trying it. Initial reactions are fine, but they're not usually constructive without context and thus not actionable when working on the content.

The simple I disagree is fine, but not useful in any way. Why would you disagree? What about flying would you miss most? Why is it a necessary part of endgame? If you find it necessary for such and such reasons, then what if they implemented something to work similarly without cutting out chunks of content they create? Something more substantial than the desire for convenience and views of the flier from above (which isn't even definite that we won't be able to do later in the expansion).
    You sure are selling ground travel, talking down the love of flight. Are you one of the designers that feel it's a wonderful idea?

- - - Updated - - -

I have stated that I wanted flight. You have stated that I am wrong for wanting to fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    You sure are selling ground travel, talking down the love of flight. Are you one of the designers that feel it's a wonderful idea?

- - - Updated - - -

I have stated that I wanted flight. You have stated that I am wrong for wanting to fly.
    I'm not trying to talk people out of their love of flying. I'm just saying that it's convenience hurts general gameplay and pacing of fresh content. There hasn't been a very strong argument about why flying is necessary for endgame.

I never said you were wrong for wanting to fly. I am trying to provoke a strong argument as to it's necessity. If you like it, definitely let them know this. Personally, I would be saddened if they don't allow flying after the patches come out. I like the convenience and after content is past its prime, flying ought to be implemented. During current content, it's a different story. It shortens the world, rushes through all questing/dailies that have not been done, and then you're left with gathering/queue-based systems until they release a patch.

The only people who support the no flying mounts in WoD content only do so because they thrive on the annoyance of others, by listening to this highly toxic group of players blizzard is giving off a bad signal.
    If you enjoy diminishing other peoples gameplay and like developers to force choicereduction onto players please go play LoL, its full of the same kind of players like you.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not trying to talk people out of their love of flying. I'm just saying that it's convenience hurts general gameplay and pacing of fresh content. There hasn't been a very strong argument about why flying is necessary for endgame.

I never said you were wrong for wanting to fly. I am trying to provoke a strong argument as to it's necessity. If you like it, definitely let them know this. Personally, I would be saddened if they don't allow flying after the patches come out. I like the convenience and after content is past its prime, flying ought to be implemented. During current content, it's a different story. It shortens the world, rushes through all questing/dailies that have not been done, and then you're left with gathering/queue-based systems until they release a patch.
    That argument is easily turned around: there has been no strong argument why flying should NOT be possible at max level in draenor.

It doesn't matter if there's a argument or not about whether flying should or shouldn't be in game. Its their design, they want to get rid of it so be it. It will not effect me in any way. OHHHH, it takes me longer to get somewhere. OHHHHH, I might have to kill things I shouldn't have to kill. All I'm reading is whine whine whine, I want want want. Gimme gimme gimme. My god, flying time using FP's is already way quicker than it used to be and there's a ton of FP's out there so you don't have to fly from one end of the zone to another. You are supposed to be immersed in a world, going around helping people and killing threats, not flying around above everything then every once in a while drop down and kill the one thing you need. Yes, flying is great. It is fun and awesome. I just don't care if I have it or not. Why don't I care? Plain and simple, from 1 to 60 I have to level on the ground. First on foot, then slow mount, then faster mount. Guess what, I have just as much fun leveling and exploring that way as I do being able to fly around, if anything flying takes any challenge or excitement out of it making it more of a just hop around from quest to quest or kill to kill.

My biggest gripe is not being able to ride Fly Only mounts. If they can correct this i would have less complaint of riding till 6.1.
    I have earned quite a few of these mounts and I will be pretty unhappy if i am not able to show them off and enjoy them wherever i go

I do not feel more immersed in the game, it only annoys me to have to ride around on the ground riding through NPC's to get from point A to point B. This is supposed to create danger but if im going to a raid, or what have you - i dont want to participate in killing non required kills. Timeless isle is a great example of this. You get in an Ordos group...you ride up (since have group will travel doesnt exist anymore and locks arent always there) you get fire charged 3 times to death. This NPC isnt doing anything but causing grief.
    I am still supportive of the tome after first max lvl character. I do NOT care about the world, or quests after the first, maybe even the second play through. Flying isnt stopping me from not being immersed or enjoying it, already seeing the game is. I just do whatever i can to bypass all non required npcs even in MoP with no flying. Not being able to fly only causes irritation of getting dismounted/dazed and feeling slow

This brings me to Flight Paths..While great they are our "flight" fix....you are less immersed in the game than flying itself. You see a rare spawn while you are on a flight path? too bad you cant hop off like in alpha to tag it. Flight paths have never been perfect, they never will. Giving players control of their route is a way better option. I do not feel like a great hero when I am able to slay the mightiest world dragons and villians but am buckled to the ground and forced to ride through stuff that is not part of my objective just to reach what is.

Lastly, unless we are aiming for world PvP, I'm pretty sure the thought pattern was already that world pvp is dead and that there will be a pvp zone strictly for this. Keep no flight there as would be expected. another option would be to disable flying on pvp server if that is really what is being sought after....which i doubt it

Deleted
    If flight paths work like the albatrosses in timeless isle, you will be able to "hop off" if you see something interesting, catch a ride back to the quest hub etc.

I'd like to know if this Afraisaidi guy also thinks it's "possible" to have fun or be efficient gathering on foot in Dread Wastes.

If so, the first patch cycle is going to suck like a starving baby.

Either give us lower mob density than we've had all through MoP, or give us a safe place to AFK instead of having to go back to town if we can't freaking fly OR PAUSE THE GAME. Or maybe give us a damn -nomonsters swtich so we can actually EXPLORE and see stuff instead of seeing nothing but demons humping our faces.

I mean, if they want us to actually explore while we're leveling, rather than skipping all that garbage through dungeons, and then exploring when we have decent enough gear where the mobs are merely irritating rather than maddening.

Which is pretty much what I've been doing with this horrible MoP BS until I can fly (Where are our tomes of flying?!), and my garrison can even wait until I can goddamn well fly to thing.

That's if their mob density philosophy from MoP sticks. Not all of us thinks grinding mobs to get from A to B is fun, because some of us are over 15.

Hey, Blizz. This is the only game I play where I can fly. I can't even fly in Spore if I put wings on my creature. Why do you want to be like everyone else? I liked how your game was different - you offered me the incentive of flying if I stuck it out mucking through on the ground long enough. At least give us our tome of flying, guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMonk79 View Post
    It doesn't matter if there's a argument or not about whether flying should or shouldn't be in game. Its their design, they want to get rid of it so be it. It will not effect me in any way. OHHHH, it takes me longer to get somewhere. OHHHHH, I might have to kill things I shouldn't have to kill. All I'm reading is whine whine whine, I want want want. Gimme gimme gimme. My god, flying time using FP's is already way quicker than it used to be and there's a ton of FP's out there so you don't have to fly from one end of the zone to another. You are supposed to be immersed in a world, going around helping people and killing threats, not flying around above everything then every once in a while drop down and kill the one thing you need. Yes, flying is great. It is fun and awesome. I just don't care if I have it or not. Why don't I care? Plain and simple, from 1 to 60 I have to level on the ground. First on foot, then slow mount, then faster mount. Guess what, I have just as much fun leveling and exploring that way as I do being able to fly around, if anything flying takes any challenge or excitement out of it making it more of a just hop around from quest to quest or kill to kill.

They introduced it. Many of us like it.

YOU might think it's no good to hop from quest to quest. I do not like spending an hour on ONE quest because I had to wade through a zillion useless mobs that were just there to be in my way, so I could go get one stupid item in the back of a tent, or go talk to some idiot; then, as soon as I'm done that - wow, look, the zillion mobs just respawned. When things move that slow, I start to lose story cohesion. I understood what was going on better as a max level character, doing quests on flying mounts and being ignored by low level mobs.

This was the absolute WORST thing about leveling alts in MoP - even after the first go-through, you were condenmed to that crap on your alts, like some sort of Dark Tower-style repeating punishment for playing.

Hey, folks whined louder about "pandas", and Asian architecture with bright colours. I can't even see past the hellish crowds of mobs to worry about that stuff.

People who don't like flying have always had the option to simply not train it (and you don't need to do deepholm or the tiller's quests any more.) - just like anti-abortion advocates have the right to refrain from abortion if they don't like it. But, people are always trying to take away things other people like that they don't, RIGHT?

I can see why they have no AP this year. Not because of the hassle on the forums last time, but because they don't want people like me seeing what's up before release - if it's like Dread Wastes with Demons, there's no way I'd buy it. At least, not until the next expansion. Maybe.

Either give us lower mob density than we've had all through MoP, or give us a safe place to AFK instead of having to go back to town if we can't freaking fly OR PAUSE THE GAME. Or maybe give us a damn -nomonsters swtich so we can actually EXPLORE and see stuff instead of seeing nothing but demons humping our faces.
    - - - Updated - - -

And, hey, how hypocritical - we're not to skip over "content" (ie, aimless random mobs) with our flying mount, but oh, paid boost to 90 is a-ok. Even for a brand new player who never saw the Vanilla-MoP content. But they wouldn't let us skip over MoP content on our alts, after we'd suffered on the ground once already. Because our alts just had to see the content, damnit, not just our mains.

Also, they need to quit tuning brand new areas to heroic raiding gear. Anyone else here enter Hyjal for the first time in nothing but Wrath Heroic gear, or lower? Sucked, didn't it? And we could fly then.

Yes, I play other games. Those games do not include the growth of a character over 9+ years. Gaining an ability, then having it taken away, is not a logical design.
    Have you played Mega Man? Or Mario? Or Zelda? All of those games give you tools and then take them away in sequels to be replaced by new tools. If Blizzard thinks flying was a mistake and wants to mitigate that mistake that's their prerogative. Complaining about it is like complaining that you don't get a Tanooki suit in Mario 64 to just fly over every level. It's a freaking video game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyRaccoon View Post
    I'd like to know if this Afraisaidi guy also thinks it's "possible" to have fun or be efficient gathering on foot in Dread Wastes.

If so, the first patch cycle is going to suck like a starving baby.

I mean, if they want us to actually explore while we're leveling, rather than skipping all that garbage through dungeons, and then exploring when we have decent enough gear where the mobs are merely irritating rather than maddening.

Which is pretty much what I've been doing with this horrible MoP BS until I can fly (Where are our tomes of flying?!), and my garrison can even wait until I can goddamn well fly to thing.

That's if their mob density philosophy from MoP sticks. Not all of us thinks grinding mobs to get from A to B is fun, because some of us are over 15.

Hey, Blizz. This is the only game I play where I can fly. I can't even fly in Spore if I put wings on my creature. Why do you want to be like everyone else? I liked how your game was different - you offered me the incentive of flying if I stuck it out mucking through on the ground long enough. At least give us our tome of flying, guys.

- - - Updated - - -

They introduced it. Many of us like it.

YOU might think it's no good to hop from quest to quest. I do not like spending an hour on ONE quest because I had to wade through a zillion useless mobs that were just there to be in my way, so I could go get one stupid item in the back of a tent, or go talk to some idiot; then, as soon as I'm done that - wow, look, the zillion mobs just respawned. When things move that slow, I start to lose story cohesion. I understood what was going on better as a max level character, doing quests on flying mounts and being ignored by low level mobs.

This was the absolute WORST thing about leveling alts in MoP - even after the first go-through, you were condenmed to that crap on your alts, like some sort of Dark Tower-style repeating punishment for playing.

Hey, folks whined louder about "pandas", and Asian architecture with bright colours. I can't even see past the hellish crowds of mobs to worry about that stuff.

People who don't like flying have always had the option to simply not train it (and you don't need to do deepholm or the tiller's quests any more.) - just like anti-abortion advocates have the right to refrain from abortion if they don't like it. But, people are always trying to take away things other people like that they don't, RIGHT?

I can see why they have no AP this year. Not because of the hassle on the forums last time, but because they don't want people like me seeing what's up before release - if it's like Dread Wastes with Demons, there's no way I'd buy it. At least, not until the next expansion. Maybe.

- - - Updated - - -

And, hey, how hypocritical - we're not to skip over "content" (ie, aimless random mobs) with our flying mount, but oh, paid boost to 90 is a-ok. Even for a brand new player who never saw the Vanilla-MoP content. But they wouldn't let us skip over MoP content on our alts, after we'd suffered on the ground once already. Because our alts just had to see the content, damnit, not just our mains.

Also, they need to quit tuning brand new areas to heroic raiding gear. Anyone else here enter Hyjal for the first time in nothing but Wrath Heroic gear, or lower? Sucked, didn't it? And we could fly then.
    Everything in this post just screams that you're spoiled by how safe flying mounts makes you feel.
    Sure, I like flying mounts allowing you to reach previously unreachable places, but this bullshit about how fighting mobs (boo-hoo) is nothing but artificial extension of content is.. just odd.

-nomonster switch
    You're playing the wrong goddamn genre mate.

Point remains though. Removing flight improves our experience even tho we might not realize it.
    Sorry, but if I were allowed to fly right away in Draenor I'd have a less immersive experience. Yeah I know, the word immersion has turned into some stereotype, but that's how it is. You flying over everything in a new continent would make the content less immersive and fun. It's kinda sad how we value convenience and safety over compelling gameplay.

People who shout about "choice" can't factor reality it seems.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Everything in this post just screams that you're spoiled by how safe flying mounts makes you feel.
    Sure, I like flying mounts allowing you to reach previously unreachable places, but this bullshit about how fighting mobs (boo-hoo) is nothing but artificial extension of content is.. just odd.

-nomonster switch
    You're playing the wrong goddamn genre mate.

Point remains though. Removing flight improves our experience even tho we might not realize it.
    Sorry, but if I were allowed to fly right away in Draenor I'd have a less immersive experience. Yeah I know, the word immersion has turned into some stereotype, but that's how it is. You flying over everything in a new continent would make the content less immersive and fun. It's kinda sad how we value convenience and safety over compelling gameplay.

People who shout about "choice" can't factor reality it seems.
    You're acting like people want to fly right away when they get to Draenor, maybe some people do but the vast majority of people who are complaining are fine with not having flying during leveling which makes almost all arguments against flying completly irrelevant, it was fine the way they did it in MoP.

no flying is not the end of the world. Draenor is supposed to be the land of Ogres and Giant Gronn, you should not just be able to fly over them with absolutely no danger whatsoever. I really dont think lv100 should be any different, the only thing they should change is how stupid the flight paths are going to places way out of reach.

Hah, people were like "yey, instant lvl90 with a press of a button" and I bet they were hoping to see flying replaced with instant teleports, where you just open map and click where you want to be and "woosh" - you are there. No need to spend those minutes on a flying mount, much more convenient. Maybe even an "auto-grind" feature that turns your character to a bot that gathers valuables automatically while you are watching tv. Or even better, just let blizzard mail them to you, that would be easier. Maybe soon the game will play the character for you entirely, finishing raids so you only need to watch it like it was some live feed. I mean it's a lot of work to read what you are supposed to do and then learn to do it. Why not just make everything happen, sounds fun and easy.