Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Wow dude, are you fucking blind? Those new faces look completly different from each other, I mean, uh, they have different WRINKLES, what else could you possibly ask for?
    Am I right...?

All sarcasm aside, I agree with you and I think the ''omg they can't just rebuild the faces they can just change textures'' is a bullshit excuse, if other game companies can do it so can Blizzard, and i don't care about the game engine or whatever, if they can't do actual different faces they should just not have done anything, and it's a shame because I was pretty excited about the new models, here's hoping they'll do it right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Strange thing about differing opinions. If it is in Blizz's favor, we are fanboys or defenders. If we are against it, we are just cynics and haters. The problem is, some people cannot accept other people's difference of opinion without BRANDING them and giving them a label.

On Topic: I will be reserving full judgement until the game launches cause NOTHING I do or say on a "fan site" is gonna make Blizz stop dead in their tracks and take my advice.
    Fancy that, a sagacious response.

They're not even in open beta yet, as far as I'm aware. Once they are, they'll be looking for feedback on a wide array of things from beta testers. So, even once the models are "finished", an overwhelming response, or one that is unanimous even if not overwhelming, could convince them to change the faces a little to make them look more different. Still, I think making judgements based on a death knight model, with the same skin and hair colour, then trying to claim that all characters are going to look the same, is pretty moronic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Didn't help that he had Sky Admiral Warcrimes McEvillaugh flying his airship for him.
    hi im tydrane from dranasuss

My problem is the variety isn't there. They all look like recolored Garrosh faces.

People are attached to the way their characters have looked for the last 10 years, sorry if it bothers you that some people don't want them all to turn into a green garrosh.

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    My problem is the variety isn't there. They all look like recolored Garrosh faces.
    As opposed to now where everyone is in varying degrees of Nazgrim's scowling face?

Quote Originally Posted by arcaneshot View Post
    As opposed to now where everyone is in varying degrees of Nazgrim's scowling face?
    Nazgrim is just using the old models so that's pretty much irrelevant.

It's not hard to understand. Walk into dunkin donuts. Yes Im using a donut metaphor. Look at the shelf and their is 10 boston creams. The boston creams all look for the most part similar, but do have different patterns and such. Now walk into another dunkin donuts and this shelf has 10 entirely different donuts to choose from. Which is better? I'd assume in almost every single case the person would pick variety.

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    Nazgrim is just using the old models so that's pretty much irrelevant.
    But it's still a reasonable point. All the original faces look the same anyway, the only difference is their mouth(Not much of a mouth, looks like something from my nightmares honestly), and how many teeth they have.

The faces never really looked different is the point.

Honestly the most complaints will get out of this is maybe changes in the future, don't expect anything to change when WoD launches, unless they haven't revealed everything yet.

The new models do not suffer from "same-face" and neither do the Pandaren. They and all the rest of the playable models in the game suffer from "same-head."

Think of a clown. Do it. Now underneath the makeup there's skin and muscle and fat and bones and everything that give his face its shape. But the makeup makes his face look different. He could be frowning, scowling, staring at your jugular vein, but he's still got that painted-on smile. And when you've got two blatantly different facial expressions superimposed one atop the other, it's creepy and unnerving.

Now picture one of those blow-up punch clowns. The big @#$%-eating grin is still painted on, but it's painted on a round, featureless surface. It doesn't look half as creepy, and considerably more whimsical and fun.

The old models had that going for them. The faces were so basic, flat, non-descript and unemotional that you could paint whatever you wanted on them and it wouldn't look fresh from the uncanny valley. You paint a grin on the new orc model, and what you have is a clown. Not a fun clown, a scary one, the one that stalks your nightmares and is standing directly behind you. They can change the wrinkles and the skin tone and any number of other little things, but if they try to change the facial expression with bare textures like they used to, it would not be something you would like to see.

The new ones look like the same face, just slightly different facial expressions. In the old versions, things were more pronounced/different.

Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    The new models do not suffer from "same-face" and neither do the Pandaren. They and all the rest of the playable models in the game suffer from "same-head."

Think of a clown. Do it. Now underneath the makeup there's skin and muscle and fat and bones and everything that give his face its shape. But the makeup makes his face look different. He could be frowning, scowling, staring at your jugular vein, but he's still got that painted-on smile. And when you've got two blatantly different facial expressions superimposed one atop the other, it's creepy and unnerving.

Now picture one of those blow-up punch clowns. The big @#$%-eating grin is still painted on, but it's painted on a round, featureless surface. It doesn't look half as creepy, and considerably more whimsical and fun.

The old models had that going for them. The faces were so basic, flat, non-descript and unemotional that you could paint whatever you wanted on them and it wouldn't look fresh from the uncanny valley. You paint a grin on the new orc model, and what you have is a clown. Not a fun clown, a scary one, the one that stalks your nightmares and is standing directly behind you. They can change the wrinkles and the skin tone and any number of other little things, but if they try to change the facial expression with bare textures like they used to, it would not be something you would like to see.
    Then I would simply rebut, why offer "faces" at all, if they're all going to look the same? Why not just offer a single face, as it was intended to look by the animators?

i guess more up to date one face model is hard to make look different

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Then I would simply rebut, why offer "faces" at all, if they're all going to look the same? Why not just offer a single face, as it was intended to look by the animators?
    I suppose they could change the name to "Face Markings" to make it more accurate, but it is what it always has been, the texture you pick for the face area. The new models will allow far superior expression and animation, which I think makes up for the artists being far more constrained with what they can create. After all, you will have a properly animated face with real eyes instead of a static wooden face mask with a flapping jaw (apologize to jawless forsaken).

Stood in the Fire Steve the Sloth's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I want facial options so I know what my toon looks like under the helmet I'll be wearing nearly 100% of the time I play this game!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    How about they finish all of the models first and release the expansion before we start complaining?
    That's stupid as fuck. If we didn't complain, they wouldn't change anything. JUST like the Pandaren. Now is the time to complain.

The increase in detail makes it more jarring that the player models all look like the same dude wearing different makeup. It's flown until now because the old models weren't that detailed to begin with - facial texture swaps were par for the course then, but they're not anymore. Sure, it does take extra manhours to get extra geometric details animated properly, but the resource-efficient solution isn't necessarily the best one.

Looking forward to what they're going to say about it in the Artcraft post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamwheedle View Post
    Fancy that, a sagacious response.

They're not even in open beta yet, as far as I'm aware. Once they are, they'll be looking for feedback on a wide array of things from beta testers. So, even once the models are "finished", an overwhelming response, or one that is unanimous even if not overwhelming, could convince them to change the faces a little to make them look more different. Still, I think making judgements based on a death knight model, with the same skin and hair colour, then trying to claim that all characters are going to look the same, is pretty moronic.
    It's been known to happen from time to time, I just don't let it go to my head

On Topic: Agreed. I think the real feedback they will examine is Beta feedback, when people actually have a chance to log in and get a close look under better circumstances. Ultimately, they are likely thinking that people will be in full gear anyway, and the only people truly concerned will be the RP community. Again, once we are in Beta, I will offer a scrutinized view and opinion of the models. In the meantime, they need to show us Draenei so I can see if I want to race change my Paladin to Dwarf or SpaceGoat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    How about they finish all of the models first and release the expansion before we start complaining?
    But what if they aren't planning on changing it and they release them and we are stuck with them for an entire decade...blizzard don't exactly have the best track record of making tweaks/ changes to things like that they tend to just re haul it all entirely >.< It's best to make our opinions known now so that they can still be added/ improved upon...

Deleted
    Cata released - Worgen females look the same - "FFS its beta! Chill let them finish!!"
    MOP released - Pandaren look the same - "FFS its beta! Chill let them finish!!"
    WOD in development - ALL faces look the same - "FFS it's not even beta! Chill let them finish!!"

How about no and we actually voice our opinions without assuming everything will be sorted out.

If you want this changed voice your opinion NOW. Blizzard wants to hear critical feedback.

jez im glad i dont spend much time looking at my characters face, i might be pissed off.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FruitBat69 View Post
    Cata released - Worgen females look the same - "FFS its beta! Chill let them finish!!"
    MOP released - Pandaren look the same - "FFS its beta! Chill let them finish!!"
    WOD in development - ALL faces look the same - "FFS it's not even beta! Chill let them finish!!"

How about no and we actually voice our opinions without assuming everything will be sorted out.

If you want this changed voice your opinion NOW. Blizzard wants to hear critical feedback.
    And they've heard it and have said that there'll be an artcraft talking about how they're giving us unique faces. So stop complaining because you're already going to get what you want.