Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Post U.S. attorneys general urge retailers to drop tobacco

Fed taking steps to kill Tobacco. Maybe Tobacco growers should start considering the Cannabis market instead.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/0...0ME0SF20140317

Deleted
    Well, good, though only a request but still going in the right direction to stop tobacco sales

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Excellent if this bears any fruit I'll have a chance to get rich by smuggling cuban cigars then Ill have someone write a book about my death called "The great G." cause it's my last name initial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

I approve of this; since I'm far too stupid to decide for myself whether or not I should consume tobacco products, I need the U.S. government to make that decision for me, and retailers should ideally suffer as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpai View Post
    I approve of this; since I'm far too stupid to decide for myself whether or not I should consume tobacco products, I need the U.S. government to make that decision for me, and retailers should ideally suffer as a result.

Either that or I as a taxpayer will suffer when I have to pay for you smoking-caused medical problems. Remember, because you are too stupid to decide for yourself.

These smoking threads are always really interesting. I just quit smoking and I already wan't to pick up a pack because I am afraid I will become one of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    Either that or I as a taxpayer will suffer when I have to pay for you smoking-caused medical problems. Remember, because you are too stupid to decide for yourself.
    Because we totally have a healthcare system that covers everyone. Oh wait, we don't.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Smokers die sooner, thus costing the taxpayer much less in total lifetime gov't cheese (disability, medicare, medicaid, and 'pensions') than nonsmokers.
    Also, cig taxes are way down due to the rise of vaping. Hence, the money-grubbing taxmongers are now after e-cigs.
    Should not have named them that, just called them inhalers or vaporators or something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    They didn't tell them to stop carrying them. They just asked them nicely to do so. Don't worry; you're still free to slowly kill yourself and generally smell bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mementomori1993 View Post
    These smoking threads are always really interesting. I just quit smoking and I already wan't to pick up a pack because I am afraid I will become one of you.
    Mementomori: 1
    Nixx: 0

Thanks for my new sig

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vouksh89 View Post
    Because we totally have a healthcare system that covers everyone. Oh wait, we don't.
    Taxpayers often still pick up the burden of treating people's medical problems. If the person has insurance, it still drives up the price for everyone.

Cigarettes are nasty though and retailers should stop carrying them. In fact cigarettes should just stop existing period. They smell and taste terrible. I smoke a smooth, tasty cigar maybe once a month, if that much. If people stopped smoking cigarettes this world would smell a lot better.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2014-03-18 at 01:43 PM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

You already have to pay for people eating unhealthy foods. Should the government tell retailers to not sell unhealthy foods, as well?
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

Quote Originally Posted by AbalDarkwind View Post
    Should the government tell retailers to not sell unhealthy foods, as well?
    They already do. In fact, not long ago the FDA took the first step to eliminate trans fats.

Further proof that people who want shared healthcare costs do so in part for the excuse it provides to have control over other people's lives. Your obsession with limiting other people's choices are almost as pathetic as your attempts at non-infractable insults.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    Taxpayers often still pick up the burden of treating people's medical problems. If the person has insurance, it still drives up the price for everyone.

Cigarettes are nasty though and retailers should stop carrying them. In fact cigarettes should just stop existing period. They smell and taste terrible. I smoke a smooth, tasty cigar maybe once a month, if that much. If people stopped smoking cigarettes this world would smell a lot better.
    Fastfood creates more health problems then cigarettes, so you are also paying extra for fat people. You can also get lung cancer from car exhausts and smog, so you also pay extra for people who drive cars + they ruin a perfect blue sky in big cities. You also pay extra for people with kids, because those people get child allowances.

The list goes on and on, so your individual stance on tabacco smell isn't really a thing I'm concerned with, since everybody has a subjective experience on these kind of things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Never understood why people think they pay for medical expenses of others if he can afford to smoke he more than likely can afford the insurance that will pay for his medical problems. With new healthcare system it it shouldn't cause anyone else a dime

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Mementomori: 1
    Nixx: 0

Thanks for my new sig
    But they weren't even replying to each other. So I'm very confused why you're so amused by this.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Never understood why ignorant masses think they pay for medical expenses of others if he can afford to smoke he more than likely can afford the insurance that will pay for his medical problems.
    Not to mention you can easily turn everything around.

"Your exercising is a burdon on everyone else when you inevitably trip up and break a leg! Stop it!"

The thing with healthcare is, everyone needs it for one reason or another at some point.

depending on what happens, you could easily exceed the amount of money you've paid into insurance. doing something incredibly risky, like eating too much of the wrong foods and smoking, will likely result in you needing other people's money.

Don't know about the US, but in alot of countries in Europe the government taxes Tobacco so heavily that if they would ban the products right now some countries would get into serious financial trouble despite the fact that the Healthcare costs would probably go down in the long run. They yell that they want everyone to quit but behind the scenes they are praying for us to keep buying the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Never understood why people think they pay for medical expenses of others if he can afford to smoke he more than likely can afford the insurance that will pay for his medical problems. With new healthcare system it it shouldn't cause anyone else a dime
    Lol because only well off people smoke? I wouldn't be surprised if smoking was much more common among poor people based on personal experience.

It's not really about the taxes though, most of the people that advocate that system are getting/would get more than they're paying into it by far like every other aspect of social programs. It's just part of the game: pretend you want tax-funded healthcare costs, then act like people making bad choices is an unwelcome burden on the system you wanted in the first place. It never stops being about politics for them. Every decision they get a vote on is a victory.