Frost mage help!

Hello im new to warcraft and want to learn some frost mage pvp. I want to ask some questions about when and where to use spells. If im not mistaken they are called cooldowns or just CDs for short.

For example i am fighting with someone. Do i just use my CDs and go ham? Asking around in game though some person said pvp is like a game of chess. So im assuming there are situations to use my defensive CDs and my offensive CDs.

So far i seem to melt up against warriors and death knights and very quickly by rogues. When im fighting the caster classes i seem to do ok. I dont win but i survive alot longer than up against the melee.

Well i guess what im asking for is general tips and hints and tricks to playing this class.

Thanks

WoW PvP is like playing about ten games of chess at once. There's a ton going on, and you have to react to things very quickly. That makes it quite hard to give general advice because every situation and every fight is going to be very very different.

Generally it's good to pop CDs early. Mage CDs are quite short, orb is 1min, PvP trinket is 1 min, etc. So popping everything early can get defensives out of your opponent (most classes have defensives with a 3min CD) and then 1min later you can pop your Orb and stuff again and they probably won't have many defensives left.

General tips would be things like keep Incanter's Ward up, it's a massive damage boost so make sure to keep it up at all times. Use Living Bomb while targets are frozen, it gives you the increased crit for the entire buff duration. Save Alter Time for when you have procs, get a Brain Freeze proc and 2 FoF procs, use Alter Time, Orb, use your Frostfire Bolt and you should get 3 or 4 Ice Lances off (2 FoF procs and 1 or 2 from your orb) then you'll Alter Time back, and again use your Frostfire Bolt and spam Ice Lances until you're out of procs. Make sure to always keep Living Bomb up since that's how you gain Frostfire Bolt procs. Can't really think of much else to put for basic general gameplay, practice a lot because the game is hard haha.

But it'd be better to ask specific questions about certain situations, those are easier to answer.

Thanks for the answer!

I got a problem though. I dont know what to do when im being attacked. I drop so quick!

Other classes seem to have ways to heal themselves but i cant find any spell on mage. What to i do?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDFreaK View Post
    Thanks for the answer!
    I got a problem though. I dont know what to do when im being attacked. I drop so quick!
    Other classes seem to have ways to heal themselves but i cant find any spell on mage. What to i do?
    I'm speaking purely from my own point of view here. I do not claim to be one of the "world's best" @ mage. I have, however, had years of experience playing one both in WoW (started late TBC) and even before that (on an old text-based M.U.D.)

Your role as a ranged class is that of sniper. You stay at a distance, you shoot at a distance. You stay mobile, and remain very aware of your surroundings when you finally plant your feet and hardcast (casting something non-instant, like Frostbolt). If someone runs up into your face (e.g., Warrior charge) or gets in close with Stealth and saps you or pulls off a leap/stun (Feral Cat druids), there is NO SHAME whatsoever in using Frost Nova/Blink or using Ice Block (glyphed for a free Frost Nova + spell immunity effect) to gain distance from your opponent.

It's easy to get caught up in the mindset that says, "I have to stand my ground." Your mindset should more properly be that of a guerrilla warfare fighter. Do not be afraid to use your instant cast spells (Living Bomb, Frost Nova, Ice Lance) and play hit-and-run tactics. Stay mobile if you're doing something where you might be tempted to flatfoot needlessly, like whilst guarding a node in Arathi Basin (hint: Arcane Explosion in case of stealth attackers.) Dead = no DPS and not an asset to your team. Alive, there are many chances for you to contribute.

Edit: For your self-healing, definitely utilize your absorbs (Ice Barrier and Incanter's Ward) to prevent some measure of incoming damage. If you just KNOW you're going to be in a firefight, don't hesitate to pop Mirror Image and Blink into a more strategic position or just utilize Greater Invisibility (talent) to flat out regroup. Again, dead you're just dead. Alive, you're a cannon just waiting for something to get in range and blow it to bits.
    Last edited by Invictus9001; 2014-03-18 at 04:42 AM.

#FlightIsImportant

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Invictus9001 View Post
    Edit: For your self-healing, definitely utilize your absorbs (Ice Barrier and Incanter's Ward) to prevent some measure of incoming damage. If you just KNOW you're going to be in a firefight, don't hesitate to pop Mirror Image and Blink into a more strategic position or just utilize Greater Invisibility (talent) to flat out regroup. Again, dead you're just dead. Alive, you're a cannon just waiting for something to get in range and blow it to bits.
    Uh, I know Ice Barrier has it's uses, but Greater Invis for PVP? Really? Cold Snap is WAAAY too good to pass up on. To OP, remember to use Spellsteal! There's a lot of stuff you can do with it, like stealing a druids HoTs (healing over time spells). You can even steal another Mages Frostfire proccs for yourself to use :>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekuda View Post
    Uh, I know Ice Barrier has it's uses, but Greater Invis for PVP? Really? Cold Snap is WAAAY too good to pass up on.
    I did say I was writing based on my personal outlook. From that, I like the utility of dropping the dots and having time to get away and regroup, maybe even let Mirror Image or other CDs reset. I also found myself just ending up surrounded when one Ice Block wore off, running maybe 2 seconds and having to Ice Block again with Cold Snap.. and ending up street pizza anyway. Greater Invis seems to work out better for me. /shrug. It's my individual preference - not saying I am the authority on what to pick.

#FlightIsImportant

Deleted
    Mage is a great utility class. You really want to get good at using your utility and then timing your burst windows.

Focus macro for CC is essential for BG play. A mage who is good with his CC can easily tip the balance in random BG.

watch a commentary pvp video there someone explains what he is doing
    that helped me a lot in the beginnig

Sup OP

I'm not that new to WoW, I was with 4 lvl 90s, but I'm new to Mage too. Used the char boost from the WoD pre-sale to boost my lvl 60 gnome mage that was kinda abandoned.

Im having fun with it, but like you I'm having a lot of trouble staying alive lol. I know mostly is my gear, but still, I feel I got much to learn with that lil guy.

I'm trying to learn the proper use of the Temporal Shield, seems to be what almost everyone pick. Hasn't been doing much for me tho but again, when undergeared you die before the thing can actually work on your favor.

I'm gonna try Ice Barrier a lil more too. You guys think it might be a better idea for a noob mage? Or just stick with Temporal Shield?

Quote Originally Posted by OCDFreaK View Post
    Hello im new to warcraft and want to learn some frost mage pvp. I want to ask some questions about when and where to use spells. If im not mistaken they are called cooldowns or just CDs for short.

For example i am fighting with someone. Do i just use my CDs and go ham? Asking around in game though some person said pvp is like a game of chess. So im assuming there are situations to use my defensive CDs and my offensive CDs.

So far i seem to melt up against warriors and death knights and very quickly by rogues. When im fighting the caster classes i seem to do ok. I dont win but i survive alot longer than up against the melee.

Well i guess what im asking for is general tips and hints and tricks to playing this class.

Thanks
    This game is far from chest more like multiple tic tac toe games on crack. Pop icey veins and use your pet nova(you get a finger of frost for each target it hits and you want to hit two targets because that is the highest fingers of frost will stack.) and after that you want to living bomb. Orb at a distance because for each target orb hits you get 1 finger then each time it strikes the target their is a chance to get another. Alter time and just spam ice lance like crazy.

Warriors:
    Blink the first charge and save one of your nova's for heroic leap. Blazing speed his second charge. orb on cool down and try to save alter time for second wind.

advance stuff:
    With timing you can deep the warriors charges and blanket silence him to stop fear.
    Charge has a 30 yard range but mages can pew pew from 40 yards away after heroic leap is down. Pop mirror images and kite him he won't be able to touch you until leap is back up and you have taken 60%+ of his hp.

Death knight can be a huge pain in these ass if they are good but I've only fought a gladiator death knight once so my strategy is probably not the best. Wait for anti magic shell to go down before going ham. He can dispel alter time with icy touch and steal ice block with Dark Simulacrum so be careful. The glyph of ice block works like a mini block versus death knights and counter spell stops them from using all of their ranged skills. If the death knight is unholy try to save ice block for gargoyle + unholy frenzy + super pet. If you alter time the second you come out of block you will get 6 seconds of alter time plus the 3 second of immunity from the glyph of ice block after that you can counter spell and deep to keep doing damage.

Advance stuff:
    Death knights have a 35 yard range on grip and you can shoot from 40 yards away. Something I have to test on live is that mirror images drop threat and if the death knight has gargoyle out it will leave you alone for a couple seconds.
    Last edited by worstpvperus; 2014-03-18 at 01:56 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumaw View Post
    I'm gonna try Ice Barrier a lil more too. You guys think it might be a better idea for a noob mage? Or just stick with Temporal Shield?
    I'd say stick with Temporal Shield, you'll never learn how to use it correctly unless you have it right?

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus9001 View Post
    I did say I was writing based on my personal outlook. From that, I like the utility of dropping the dots and having time to get away and regroup, maybe even let Mirror Image or other CDs reset. I also found myself just ending up surrounded when one Ice Block wore off, running maybe 2 seconds and having to Ice Block again with Cold Snap.. and ending up street pizza anyway. Greater Invis seems to work out better for me. /shrug. It's my individual preference - not saying I am the authority on what to pick.
    You need glyph of iceblock
    Quote Originally Posted by Egzis View Post
    I swear, if vanilla was released right now with updated graphics, it would be the laughing stock of the decade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    This whole thread explains in a pretty nice manner how can Beliebers exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumaw View Post
    Sup OP

I'm not that new to WoW, I was with 4 lvl 90s, but I'm new to Mage too. Used the char boost from the WoD pre-sale to boost my lvl 60 gnome mage that was kinda abandoned.

Im having fun with it, but like you I'm having a lot of trouble staying alive lol. I know mostly is my gear, but still, I feel I got much to learn with that lil guy.

I'm trying to learn the proper use of the Temporal Shield, seems to be what almost everyone pick. Hasn't been doing much for me tho but again, when undergeared you die before the thing can actually work on your favor.

Treat temporal shield like block use it to avoid huge damage. Like if a warlock is going to use haunt with demo soul up or for chaos bolts. Its 15% damage reduction + hp back(affected by battle fatique).

Quote Originally Posted by worstpvperus View Post
    This game is far from chest more like multiple tic tac toe games on crack. Pop icey veins and use your pet nova(you get a finger of frost for each target it hits and you want to hit two targets because that is the highest fingers of frost will stack.) and after that you want to living bomb. Orb at a distance because for each target orb hits you get 1 finger then each time it strikes the target their is a chance to get another. Alter time and just spam ice lance like crazy.

Warriors:
    Blink the first charge and save one of your nova's for heroic leap. Blazing speed his second charge. orb on cool down and try to save alter time for second wind.

advance stuff:
    With timing you can deep the warriors charges and blanket silence him to stop fear.
    Charge has a 30 yard range but mages can pew pew from 40 yards away after heroic leap is down. Pop mirror images and kite him he won't be able to touch you until leap is back up and you have taken 60%+ of his hp.

Death knight can be a huge pain in these ass if they are good but I've only fought a gladiator death knight once so my strategy is probably not the best. Wait for anti magic shell to go down before going ham. He can dispel alter time with icy touch and steal ice block with Dark Simulacrum so be careful. The glyph of ice block works like a mini block versus death knights and counter spell stops them from using all of their ranged skills. If the death knight is unholy try to save ice block for gargoyle + unholy frenzy + super pet. If you alter time the second you come out of block you will get 6 seconds of alter time plus the 3 second of immunity from the glyph of ice block after that you can counter spell and deep to keep doing damage.

Advance stuff:
    Death knights have a 35 yard range on grip and you can shoot from 40 yards away. Something I have to test on live is that mirror images drop threat and if the death knight has gargoyle out it will leave you alone for a couple seconds.
    Im just going to add a few things to what you said

Warrior:dont be afraid to sheep him even if he isnt already full health. You can do enough damage to kill him from full.

DK. Glyph of iceblock glyph! I dont sit iceblocks against dks so they cant steal it. I block and instantly cancel it making me immune to the dk for 3 seconds. You can do it twice! Make sure its during his cds and/or win you cant blink or blazing speed away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Egzis View Post
    I swear, if vanilla was released right now with updated graphics, it would be the laughing stock of the decade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    This whole thread explains in a pretty nice manner how can Beliebers exist.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tauntor View Post
    Im just going to add a few things to what you said

Warrior:dont be afraid to sheep him even if he isnt already full health. You can do enough damage to kill him from full.

DK. Glyph of iceblock glyph! I dont sit iceblocks against dks so they cant steal it. I block and instantly cancel it making me immune to the dk for 3 seconds. You can do it twice! Make sure its during his cds and/or win you cant blink or blazing speed away.
    you do know that dark simulacrum does not copy existing buffs but rather the next mana-consuming spell when you have the debuff on you?
    the way i read it, you are afraid they'll copy your block while you sit in it, so you don't even ..well..sit in it.

I just thought i'd hint it to you. normally you'd just cast 1 ice lance when you have dark simulacrum on you.

ps: for random BGs i use ice barrier, since absorbs are more useful.
    pps: http://www.arenajunkies.com/topic/24...age-guide-547/

is a pretty good read.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azari View Post

normally you'd just cast 1 ice lance when you have dark simulacrum on you.
    Slowfall Dark Sim unless they fixed it.

Before anything, make sure you aren't clicking your abilities and using A and D to turn or S to walk backwards. Those are the main reasons you'll die to melee. Turn with your mouse and keybind all your abilities. Not a single high rated pvp'er clicks their abilities. Find some useful macros and use them. Learn to fake cast to make the enemy blow their interrupt. Do this by starting a cast and then moving. Hopefully they'll try to interrupt but miss, then you're free to cast. Get an addon called Juked to track enemy interrupts. Use focus binds and macros to interrupt, cc and keep track of a 2nd target without dropping your main target.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy