Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovechile View Post
    Plus Tholo and Anren from Molten Front.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    how do you reveal a straight npc?

they can have gay characters without the plot lines of their stories being about them being gay or have overt stereotype overtones
    Yeah, didn't you know that Anduin is gay, so is baine, sylvanas, Garrosh, Gorefeind, Velen, Ner'zul, And Arthas swings both ways.

So insensitive to these characters..

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    If I remember correctly, there are some emotes from one of the female NElfs in Star's Rest in the Dragon Wastes of Northrend that would indicate she's flirting with another female.

edit: yup this is the one http://www.wowhead.com/npc=27056
    Last edited by Vermicious; 2014-03-19 at 03:17 PM.

I like to think Jaina Proudmoore as gay

Quote Originally Posted by Neddy View Post
    I like to think Jaina Proudmoore as gay
    shes dating a male dragon
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    How is that twisted?

I never said there is harm in having gay characters. I just don't want them added for the sake of having gay characters to please gay players (such as myself) and opening a new can of worms that doesn't need to be opened in WoW.
    So long as that character is a complete character and isn't purely defined by being gay, then I don't see a problem. We can't just wait until the inspiration strikes Metzen or Kosak to write an LGBT character - that's never going to happen because they're straight white males. The conscious decision has to be made to write a gay character. But that does not mean that that character must be defined by being gay.

10+ Year Old Account
    shes dating a male dragon
    Inter species lovin'

Honestly this whole plot point makes about as much sense of Med'an. honestly, I would love to trade Jaina for Ronin

The druids in the firelands dailies, Anren, the night elf, and his "best friend" Tholo the tauren, if you do the dailies or just speak with them and see what they say it is clear there is something going on between them other than being "best friends"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    Unless a same gender relationship is completely reliant on that fact for the story, there is no point of having it. Except for the reason to say "Hey look what we did"
    And Blizzard has, and never will, seek a cultural "hey look what we did".

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    by having a lisp? are you serious?
    Sometimes. I was just making a general observation with a little sarcastic license.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Won't it be nice when this will not be something anyone worries about? When about 1 in 10 relationship oriented sayings by NPC's refers to a same gender partner, and all you would think would be 'aww isn't that sweet?'

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    What? just, what? wanna know that is unrealistic? LGBT relationships in a game that takes place in the equivalent of the middle ages. Where people are stoned for being half elf. And there is racism to the point of war.

Right, this is just homophobia. Right. Do you even know what that word means?

I hate to use this point, but straight relationships are normal. Simply because it has an evolutionary purpose. nothing wrong with folks loving other folks. but from a pure scientific point one is. putting it in for the sake of putting it in, really just comes off as pandering. The only reason you ever see it, is if the fact that they are both the same gender is because it is integral in the story, such as in game of thrones, with the one prince dude
    I suppose you complain about the fact that there are women in Stormwind's armed forces then? Azeroth is in no way a realistic representation of medieval europe, or medieval anywhere. There is in fact hints in canon that homosexuality is accepted - specifically in Night Elf culture where the males hibernate for thousands of years. This has in fact been hinted at (albeit fairly immaturely) in game. And even Azeroth was a realistic model of medieval society, gay people would still exist and there story should be told.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do you care if there are gays or not?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    So long as that character is a complete character and isn't purely defined by being gay, then I don't see a problem. We can't just wait until the inspiration strikes Metzen or Kosak to write an LGBT character - that's never going to happen because they're straight white males. The conscious decision has to be made to write a gay character. But that does not mean that that character must be defined by being gay.
    Why? Why does it matter what sexuality lore characters are? It always boggles me how people fight for equality and say sexuality shouldn't matter, then INSIST that you need more of a certain sexuality in media.

It's as dumb as that Swedish politician saying "I don't even see skin colour, but there's too many white men in politics"

Deleted
    Because Blizzard doesn't have some sort of social justice agenda, and not many people want to have one either. Its not Blizzard role as a company to tell everyone its fine to be gay, or push a LGBT agenda. (I personally disagree the use of 'LGBT' as I think lumping gay and transgender people together is quite odd).

Heterosexual relationships aren't pushed to the forefront for of the game even.

In the fantasy genre there has to be family vengeance for sons and daughters, the majority of fantasy/Tolkinesque storylines even outside of WoW are based on this idea of familial anguish. In many cases its in the interest of the story, for future possible storylines involving family to keep the characters atleast straight/bisexual (to have children, carry on the heir ect). Unless gay adoption is a path Blizzard goes down in Draenor it won't happen.

A plot-line centered around someone being gay and dealing with hardship in WoW would come across as a cheap soap opera.

Just what I think, there are obvious other factors that could be the reason behind this, but I don't think Blizzard is bigoted.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suppose you complain about the fact that there are women in Stormwind's armed forces then? Azeroth is in no way a realistic representation of medieval europe, or medieval anywhere. There is in fact hints in canon that homosexuality is accepted - specifically in Night Elf culture where the males hibernate for thousands of years. This has in fact been hinted at (albeit fairly immaturely) in game. And even Azeroth was a realistic model of medieval society, gay people would still exist and there story should be told.
    why? No guys around? Elves in Warcraft are very Tolkien, and the amount of sex that Tolkien elves have is very very very very very very small. they do it only to make new people. and find no real joy in it besides making new life.

Arywen was a rare case. As she was half-elven (which is tolkien lore means that she gets to choose what to be)

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So why can we not touch upon homosexual relationships in the same way that heterosexual relationships are touched upon? Just incidental relationships that demonstrate the variety of human (or in this case humanoid) nature? What harm is there in that?

Now I'm not one to believe that a series has to have LGBT characters. If it's a small setting with just a few characters, then characters happening not to fill every demographic is fine. But in a world with a cast of thousands, the lack of LGBT characters is unrealistic and quite frankly is implicitly homophobic.
    It just is not needed to make the game feel engageing. Homophobia does not really figure into it so much as there just is not a need to feature it. I play with several openly gay people and they do not complain about it. Then again Heterosexual relationships in the game as a whole can be counted on both hands. Love/sexual orentation just does not figure into wow like it does in other games. The biggest mention of spouses and relationships usualy comes directly from a quest involveing a person who lost their spouce such as Tirion and Varian. There is the love letter quest in Elwynn but that dosent go beyond delivering a love letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    LGBT is perfectly fine. There's no need to make political messages in game like WoW though.
    Well, I'm sure you could find political messages in WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Why? Why does it matter what sexuality lore characters are? It always boggles me how people fight for equality and say sexuality shouldn't matter, then INSIST that you need more of a certain sexuality in media.

It's as dumb as that Swedish politician saying "I don't even see skin colour, but there's too many white men in politics"
    It matters because LGBT rights is major issue today. And it is an issue that needs to be pushed, it's something which needs to be normalised. Yet to Metzen and Kosak and many other straight white male writers it is currently not normalised. Which means they're never going to just happen to write an LGBT character. And if we continue to wait for these heteronormative writers to just happen to write such a character, we'll never get any LGBT characters.

i dont think its homophobic.

just like how it isnt racist that there isnt any black major characters in wow.

the reason there isnt is because blizzards main devs are mostly straight white dudes so they usually write about straight white dudes
    I always kind of felt Orcs are the new Black guys. The links to slavery/imprisonment always made me feel like it was that way. Obviously we could do with a black human character but tbh its not needed unless the character adds to the game. Same with Trolls being very Jamaican in game, Tauren as Native american etc.

For LGBT - if it makes sense for these characters to be there and adds to the story great. But the same can be said for any male female/dragon/orc etc if the character is in the game it should makes sense.

I think a good start would be in the books. Personally WoW can keep relationships to a minimum. Usually to advance existing characters plot. For example Thrall we saw him advance his personal story for the 1st time since TBC (his appearances in wrath were horde related and not advancing him as a person). We see him finally fall in love and have a child. This brings into focus the fact that the orphan who lost his parents has become a father and faces the same trials his parents faced when he was the same age.

No issues with any character of any orientation creed or colour in the game. Just as long as the character works for the story. So blizzard has also said at blizzcon when an openly gay person said about it blizzard said if they can get the character to fit and make sense for the story (so basically not a token character) then they would consider it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It matters because LGBT rights is major issue today. And it is an issue that needs to be pushed, it's something which needs to be normalised. Yet to Metzen and Kosak and many other straight white male writers it is currently not normalised. Which means they're never going to just happen to write an LGBT character. And if we continue to wait for these heteronormative writers to just happen to write such a character, we'll never get any LGBT characters.
    Well okay then, let's move on then. Who gives a crap. just by stating there is a difference makes it a difference.

I recall back to the Southpark episode about a flag. They didn't see 5 white guys and a black guy. they just saw 6 people.