Poll: How much time does your guild raid a week and how far are you?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Raid Progression - A measure of time investment to raiding success [Poll+discuss]

I am currently in a guild that raids 2 nights a week, generally around 5 hours total and is sitting at 1/14H [25 man]. There are many differing views in the guild as to how good this is. Some think that this great, "For the time we put in this is pretty damn good!". Others think that this is quite poor, "At this point in the tier we should be at least 8/14H since the 1st 8 bosses on heroic are push overs.". I think the truth lies somewhere between those statements and I would like to get some more opinions from people out there, and 'real data' as to what people should expect at this point in the tier with this time investment.

So, obviously this is a casual raiding guild at 5 hours a week. I have always thought that casual != bad and that people can be quite successful with this time investment. Being casual though, I do think this structure lends itself to being less focused and skill levels all over the board. However, I don't think it's unreasonable, because it happens, for people to be clearing normal SoO in 3-3.5 hours and 1/2 of the heroic bosses + half norm should be doable in 5 hours.

So what I would like to find out is:

How much time does your guild raid a week and how far are you? If you went 14/14H 3 months ago this discussion probably doesn't apply to you as your time investment was probably more significant and front loaded at the start of the tier. But, that could just be me being ignorant and you did it in 5 hours a week...

My main goal here is to help gather some information to help our guild become a bit more focused as we approach and enter WoD. I want us to have as much success as possible and gather information to help us make informed decisions. I realize there are many more options this poll could have but please detail in the discussion anything you would like to add.
    The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly.

The truth is probably closer to "we should be 6/14 at least." Maybe more considering that many guilds were getting 2-3 heroic bosses down in their regular 4 hour raid in the very first week.

Perhaps you should consider either adding some raiding hours (I think 5 might be the lowest I've ever heard of, hardly seems worth it) or asking within the guild to see if you could get a 10 man alt run going. A few good players will knock over the first few bosses quite quickly with the current gear levels and it might provide some useful experience/encouragement.

Also, are you actually clearing the raid every week or just extending? With only raiding 5 hours I cannot see how you would be getting any significant progress time at all if you had to clear the raid as well.

These poll options are crazily ambiguous, I raid 12 hours a week and have cleared the instance on heroic, so I guess I'm in the last category?
    There is no difference between a 12 hour/week raider and a 40 hour/week raider in these poll options if i'm understanding them correctly
    Smitus of <Solace>, previously of <SNF>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chaddd View Post
    I am currently in a guild that raids 2 nights a week, generally around 5 hours total and is sitting at 1/14H [25 man]. There are many differing views in the guild as to how good this is. Some think that this great, "For the time we put in this is pretty damn good!". Others think that this is quite poor, "At this point in the tier we should be at least 8/14H since the 1st 8 bosses on heroic are push overs.". I think the truth lies somewhere between those statements and I would like to get some more opinions from people out there, and 'real data' as to what people should expect at this point in the tier with this time investment.

So, obviously this is a casual raiding guild at 5 hours a week. I have always thought that casual != bad and that people can be quite successful with this time investment. Being casual though, I do think this structure lends itself to being less focused and skill levels all over the board. However, I don't think it's unreasonable, because it happens, for people to be clearing normal SoO in 3-3.5 hours and 1/2 of the heroic bosses + half norm should be doable in 5 hours.

So what I would like to find out is:

How much time does your guild raid a week and how far are you? If you went 14/14H 3 months ago this discussion probably doesn't apply to you as your time investment was probably more significant and front loaded at the start of the tier. But, that could just be me being ignorant and you did it in 5 hours a week...

My main goal here is to help gather some information to help our guild become a bit more focused as we approach and enter WoD. I want us to have as much success as possible and gather information to help us make informed decisions. I realize there are many more options this poll could have but please detail in the discussion anything you would like to add.
    Casual can be good if the guild is comprised of skilled experienced, heroic raiders... otherwise, it's bad yeah.
    Last edited by Vargur; 2014-03-19 at 09:14 PM.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitus View Post
    These poll options are crazily ambiguous, I raid 12 hours a week and have cleared the instance on heroic, so I guess I'm in the last category?
    There is no difference between a 12 hour/week raider and a 40 hour/week raider in these poll options if i'm understanding them correctly
    No, according to the poll, you don't exist - nor does any player who raids more than 10 hours/week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitus View Post
    True, let me see if I can get a > 10 hours < = 20 and maybe a > 20. This is mainly geared towards guilds that put in very few hours, and I agree 12 is very few.
    The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly.

8 hours a week (4 hours on friday, then 4 on saturday) cleared 14/14 heroic a few weeks ago.

Casual can be good if the guild is comprised to skilled experienced, heroic raiders... otherwise, it's bad yeah.
    Pretty much what this guy said. If your group is comprised of skilled players, you'll kill the content that is geared towards your skill level.

my guild is casual, about the same amount of time (we've only done 3 hours the past few weeks) and we're working on seigecrafter. The problem with seigecrafter though for casual progress is that it takes us almost 3 hours just to clear through thok, so we get about 1-2 hours per week to work on seigecrafter.

Once we can afford to just have a lock out on seigecrafter it will be gg, but we've never seen any trinkets drop, still using 543 ToT trinkets ... this is from killing multiple heroic bosses starting at week 2 of SoO, not even an immerseus trinket has dropped, pretty novel that we're still consistently ranking on WoL every week with ToT gear

We killed H Garrosh on December 5th raiding 9 hours a week. We didnt add days or anything like that on progression.

Theres no poll for me, 12 hours a week and cleared in November. Perfect schedule for me, light but enough to clear the content in a reasonable timeframe.

Deleted
    Yea clearing content with 12h/week is pretty standard for 25man, its 80% tactics for 25man if your raidleader is smart enough to analyze kill-videos and just copy it you're pretty fine.
    Last edited by mmoc610696607c; 2014-03-19 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Liebchen View Post
    Yea clearing content with 12h/week is pretty standard for 25man, its 80% tactics for 25man if your raidleader is smart enough to analyze kill-videos and just copy it you're pretty fine.
    Lets not get into this again.

Deleted
    6 weeks of SoO raiding now 14/14 normal atm. 6-8 hours on week.

Starting heroics next week. We will see how that goes. But i am hoping we can clear like 6-8 HC bosses in like first month of heroic raiding.

10+ Year Old Account
    14/14 25H, currently raiding ~5 hours to clear SoO.

During progression we raided 3 hours / 4 nights a week, so 12 hours.

10+ Year Old Account
    We're a highly inefficient 7 hours 2 nights a week 10 man guild that wastes time on farm bosses and gets gutted by abscenses. We're 11/14H with already a decent amount of wipes put into Seigecrafter.

Are you guys making use of extensions? SoO is pretty long when you don't have the whole thing on efficient farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    We're a highly inefficient 7 hours 2 nights a week 10 man guild that wastes time on farm bosses and gets gutted by abscenses. We're 11/14H with already a decent amount of wipes put into Seigecrafter.

Are you guys making use of extensions? SoO is pretty long when you don't have the whole thing on efficient farm.
    Once we killed siege we killed thok and paragons the next day, then after reclearing the next week so we could pull garrosh (lockout was originally a normal lockout since we didn't want to reclear the first 8 bosses on the week we killed siege) we extended for the next ~4 weeks until garrosh was dead.

tbh if you have the gear to kill siege there's very little reason to continue farming gear for garrosh as you will bang your head against garrosh for a few hundred pulls until you kill him, and anytime spent killing farm bosses is time lost from that magical journey that is heroic garrosh.

2days /week (10 hours) 13/14hc since last month, we are getting harassed, other guilds in the server steal our lockout, we lost 2 weeks of tries on garrosh because someone took our lockout(forcing us to farm the whole instance, and without our main tank because he got locked while making the raid group), we were getting on p3 consistently and would've kill it by now if wasn't for these motherfuckers.

I believe the guild will get better when mythic arrives because less players = less apes
    Last edited by Zharradan; 2014-03-20 at 01:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by britishbubba View Post
    Once we killed siege we killed thok and paragons the next day, then after reclearing the next week so we could pull garrosh (lockout was originally a normal lockout since we didn't want to reclear the first 8 bosses on the week we killed siege) we extended for the next ~4 weeks until garrosh was dead.

tbh if you have the gear to kill siege there's very little reason to continue farming gear for garrosh as you will bang your head against garrosh for a few hundred pulls until you kill him, and anytime spent killing farm bosses is time lost from that magical journey that is heroic garrosh.
    Yeah we currently plan to extend our current lockout all the way through Siege, Paragons and Garrosh progression. We may clear again once at most, but that's only a maybe. We did the same thing at the end of ToT, once we only had DA, LS and Ra-den left we just chained lockouts till we won.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zharradan View Post
    2days /week (10 hours) 13/14hc since last month, we are getting harassed, other guilds in the server steal our lockout, we lost 2 weeks of tries on garrosh because someone took our lockout(forcing us to farm the whole instance, and without our main tank because he got locked while making the raid group), we were getting on p3 consistently and would've kill it by now if wasn't for these motherfuckers.

I believe the guild will get better when mythic arrives because less players = less apes
    Wait what, how are they stealing your lockouts?

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post

Wait what, how are they stealing your lockouts?
    first week it was a infuriated player who didn't get approved and was demoted to social status, he did it for vengeance.

second week it was a player who was a friend of the above player and with a guild that's competing with us for the realm 2nd so he left the guild and took our new lockout with it and gave to the competition.

that's how people suck, my officers /gquick 200 players last weekend trying to prevent this shit to happen again

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zharradan View Post
    first week it was a infuriated player who didn't get approved and was demoted to social status, he did it for vengeance.

second week it was a player who was a friend of the above player and with a guild that's competing with us for the realm 2nd so he left the guild and took our new lockout with it and gave to the competition.

that's how people suck, my officers /gquick 200 players last weekend trying to prevent this shit to happen again
    Jesus fuck, I'm amazed that this kind of realm sabotage still goes on, the glory associated with 'realm-first' has diminished a lot over time.
    Last edited by Radio; 2014-03-20 at 02:18 AM.