Page 1 of 179
... LastLast

Tinker Discussion Thread

Why? It is the stupidest class concept ever yet people are saying its the most popular possible class after Demon Hunters in that class poll thread (can't link stuff).

I can understand why Demon Hunters are so popular, but why Tinkers? I've never even heard of them until I joined this forum and saw like five topics about them...

Mod-note: Changed the title
    Last edited by Lochton; 2014-04-15 at 05:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally don't know why an Engineer isn't a Tinker and frankly agree with you.

Deleted
    Don't care, I'm just waiting for Thrall to become a playable class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because people like Steampunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    I personally don't know why an Engineer isn't a Tinker and frankly agree with you.
    Best profession DPS wise first off. Secondly it has a combination of little fun gadgets when others are somewhat lacking.

There was a blue tweet reply about it, I believe it was Ghostcrawler. Said it was too "Whimsical" for WoW which is about the best explanation I've found for why it wouldn't work and why I also think it's dumb. I seriously can't imagine someone using nothing but technology beating a good Paladin or Death Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyyn View Post
    There was a blue tweet reply about it, I believe it was Ghostcrawler. Said it was too "Whimsical" for WoW which is about the best explanation I've found for why it wouldn't work and why I also think it's dumb. I seriously can't imagine someone using nothing but technology beating a good Paladin or Death Knight.
    That's like saying you can't imagine Iron Man beating a villain who uses magic or super strength.

Yet he does it all the time.

Advanced Technology is equal to magic and superhuman abilities throughout the fantasy genre.

As for why Tinkers are popular? Some folks just think Goblins and Gnomes in mechs are cool.

Deleted
    As said above, people LOVE steampunks and the generally admitted closest embodiment of them in WoW would be a tinker class.

If Titan was supposed to be steampunk themed as originally rumored, I'm not sure if that would be an underlying motivation for them to not include a steampunk class (at least in regards to GC's comment)

Personally I think tinkers are a great idea

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiradyn View Post
    Why? It is the stupidest class concept ever yet people are saying its the most popular possible class after Demon Hunters in that class poll thread (can't link stuff).
    I can understand why Demon Hunters are so popular, but why Tinkers? I've never even heard of them until I joined this forum and saw like five topics about them...
    Stupid to you, awesome to others, people simply have different tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    Because a class based around technology isn't remotely the same the same as having a engineering as your profession considering it isn't part of your class and barely influences your play.

I personally love the idea of a tinker/technology (rickety tech is awesome, so no damned out of place TK like tech please) class and there is more then enough thematic space in WoW to make it happen. I'd make it a mix between the WIII tinker and alchemist and it having 4 specs (tank/melee/physical ranged/healer) like a druid.

Don't particularly care about steampunk. I would, however, enjoy playing a goblin or gnome; blowing stuff up with rockets or shootin mah laser beams. I don't have anything against Demon hunter, I just feel like that niche is already filled by a few classes thematically. They would have a difficult time making a Demon hunter true to its Warcraft form without encroaching alot on Warlock, Rogue, and Hunter territory.

Because it's really the only missing WC3 hero class kit left.

15+ Year Old Account
    Loved the concept and "feel" of the SWTOR Bounty Hunters, and I think it's the class concept I've seen with the least overlap with current classes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Because it's really the only missing WC3 hero class kit left.
    Are we REALLY talking about 4 spell there ? With 1 being a passive that improves others - so basically 3 spells ?

If so :
    1. We're missing other spells from other heroes.
    2. That's really not much to base a whole class upon : transforming into a vehicle and placing a robot factory.

They aren't. 1% of WoW population thinks they are awesome and that 1% is sure vocal...
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Quote Originally Posted by Tyandor View Post
    Because a class based around technology isn't remotely the same the same as having a engineering as your profession considering it isn't part of your class and barely influences your play.
    "would effect gameplay differently" isn't the same as "completely different". An engineer is a tinker, both thematically and literally as regards the lore, which creates a redundancy. The only difference between a player engineer and any powerful tinker is the relative power level of their gadgets. That distinction alone is not enough to justify the existence of both.

-Because it's an interesting idea.
    -We haven't had a technology-based class (we do however have two technology-based races, Gnome and Goblins) so they fill a unique niche thematically.
    -They're the only Warcraft 3 hero class who's iconic abilities don't overlap (Demon Hunter's core abilities are distributed between Rogues and Warlocks, including their iconic spell Metamorphosis. While the Tinkers main abilities aren't in use even by Engineering, the closest overlap would be the Goblin's rocket belt racial).
    -A third mail-wearing class (we currently have 3 cloth-users, 3 leather-users, 3 plate-users but only 2 mail-users) that can equip ranged weapons would help with distributing certain loot drops (A bow drops and none of your Hunters want it? No problem, the Tinker will make sure that bow doesn't go to waste!).
    -With Kezan/Undermine they could fit in to a South Seas expansion, which a lot of people want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    "would effect gameplay differently" isn't the same as "completely different". An engineer is a tinker, both thematically and literally as regards the lore, which creates a redundancy. The only difference between a player engineer and any powerful tinker is the relative power level of their gadgets. That distinction alone is not enough to justify the existence of both.
    Pretty much this. Blizzard chose to make it into a profession instead of a class. Too many of their spells would be taken from the profession to make either of them feel unique I'd have to imagine. Obviously, they can go another route, but it leaves out a lot of what would make the class feel as good as it should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    He's telling you upfront what's going to take. It's not ninja looting. It's pirate looting! YAARRRR!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebu View Post
    Pretty much this. Blizzard chose to make it into a profession instead of a class. Too many of their spells would be taken from the profession to make either of them feel unique I'd have to imagine. Obviously, they can go another route, but it leaves out a lot of what would make the class feel as good as it should be.
    Not likely. None of the Tinker's abilities exist in the profession, and that goes for the Tinker abilities in Heroes of the Storm as well. If the class was brought into the game, it would feel fine, because it could do things differently and far beyond what the profession could ever hope to do.

As for the OP, the reason its popular is because it makes the most sense,

Sometimes people like stupid things.