15+ Year Old Account

Any idea how it'd look if I painted the green white? Will the green shine trough when you light up the leds?

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc
    That insinuates there is no benefit to such sound hardware... is that really what you think? Just what sound setup do you use?
    *Checks dictionary for insinuate*.. Yup, pretty much. Although I don't have personal experience from really expensive sound hardware I'm inclined to believe that there really isn't much benefit. DAC is just a digital to analog converter and amp is an amp. As long as we are keeping the signal as un-changed as possible without introducing additional noise just how much difference can there be between $100 dac+amp and $1000 dac/amp?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's essentially why I am not spending anywhere near $1,000... There is a point where it becomes harder and harder to tell the increase in sound hardware quality, especially if you have any lower-quality pieces. For instance, if I ultimately buy up the Modi+Magni, I will likely sooner or later get a nicer pair of headphones. While my Audio Technica ATH-AD700 and Shure SRH440 pairs are nice, they are still only 32 Ohm and 44 Ohm spec headphones and $100 each, that's nice, but lower end in the grand scheme.

I'd probably be looking into the Sennheiser HD598s or perhaps HD600s/650s.

The green likely would shine through.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

That's essentially why I am not spending anywhere near $1,000... There is a point where it becomes harder and harder to tell the increase in sound hardware quality, especially if you have any lower-quality pieces.
    You can probably train yourself to notice the difference, although whether or not that is a good thing or just the beginning of a life of spending tens of thousands on sound equipment you won't be satisfied with is something you could probably debate all night.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    You can probably train yourself to notice the difference, although whether or not that is a good thing or just the beginning of a life of spending tens of thousands on sound equipment you won't be satisfied with is something you could probably debate all night.
    Yup. Hell the guy who suggested me (and Inux/Cheezus) Schiit is one of those types. He has Sennheiser HD700s... in his storage. Along with like 6 other pairs of headphones, including Sennheiser Momentums.

I do believe right now he is using a pair of Audeze LCD-2... very nice $1,000+ pair.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audeze/hero_big.jpg
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    The green likely would shine through.
    Did some research and I think how it works is that because the white layer of paint doesn't filter the light it's still gonna look green when lighten up. :< I would need to put red and blue layers on top of the green to first make the light appear white and then some white on top of that. This would probably dimm it quite a bit. Gonna need a new plan.

Is it green plastic?

- - - Updated - - -

Yup. Hell the guy who suggested me (and Inux/Cheezus) Schiit is one of those types. He has Sennheiser HD700s... in his storage. Along with like 6 other pairs of headphones, including Sennheiser Momentums.

I do believe right now he is using a pair of Audeze LCD-2... very nice $1,000+ pair.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audeze/hero_big.jpg
    Somebody in my old guild has a friend whose dad is like that too. Apparently his sound system cost nearly €40,000.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Is it green plastic?
    It is in fact uncolored / see trough rubber that has a layer of green uv(?) paint on top. Turns out that some people have had varying success at sanding it away but that'll also remove this tiny black edge around the font making it look less detailed in my opinion. Would be awesome if I could find an used 780 shroud so I could fool around with it before ruining this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    i wonder if you could use an exacto knife to scrap the top layer of green off, then fill it back in with some clear coat or resin

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    i wonder if you could use an exacto knife to scrap the top layer of green off, then fill it back in with some clear coat or resin
    Just be careful and not stab yourself....I totally did not do that 4 days ago. >.> <.< >.<
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

15+ Year Old Account
    Continuing off-topic discussion from Radeon 200 series mega thread..
    Quote Originally Posted by larix View Post
    Not valid, completely different case, that would work if say one person liked card by amd over similarly performant nvidia one. More correct analogy would be picking blue race car over yellow one and not because what their respective specs are. And no building computers is nothing like carving sculptures unless you design look of whole thing and by design I actually mean design and not just match colors.

I really don't understand why colors would be relevant, unless you're going to build contraption similar to the one posted by Black Pearl. I'ts not like PC is there to be decorative, you wont be looking inside it all that often anyways, at least I see no reason to(other then cleaning it up) unless you bought case with "vision window", but I do not understand doing so either.
    Anyways this is going way offtopic, so might be best if we stop here before it escalates. Expect no further post about this from me here, feel free to pm me for w/e reason.
    Right, it's exactly the same thing as choosing between colours because you can't argument against blue being a better colour then yellow. It's all your personal opinion. It's precisely the same thing with computer hardware. For some people the computer is nothing more then a tool to to be used for achieving something, be it gaming, web browsing or work. For others the process of building it and making it as fine looking as possible can be far more important.

What I meant by comparing the process of building pc's to carving is that they are both acts that give you pleasure from creating things yourself. I mean they are obviously completely different things that require different skillsets and tools but the essential part is that you make something and enjoy the result. It's often not that important what you use the outcome for and it doesn't even have to be anything practical.

You are of course free to disagree about this because it's not something you like doing, that's your personal opinion, but I do hope that this post helps you to understand that people can like different things.

Can a microphone jack damage your microphone somehow? As in overvolt and kill it over time or something like that? Another microphone dead randomly :/

Quote Originally Posted by protput View Post
    Can a microphone jack damage your microphone somehow? As in overvolt and kill it over time or something like that? Another microphone dead randomly :/
    My microphones tend to have died because of mechanical strain on the join between the jack and the cable.

Note to self: when plugging the cables back in the computer after cleaning it, remember to plug the headphones and mike back into the sound card and not the deactivated onboard audio output...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CheezusCrust View Post
    Going to be spending the next 3 months in Denmark, to finish 1/3 of my CCNA course
    Wait, AFAIK the most "chunks" that CCNA can be broken into is two (ICND1 and ICND2). Also it shouldn't take 3 months to finish one-third of the content...unless it's super part-time or something :P

- - - Updated - - -

Reformatted my PC for the first time since I built it in 2011! Had started getting some really weird crashes/freezes that I simply couldn't explain (OC's were always stable).

Question for the guys who reformat often, do you ever install any windows updates? I'm seeing how far I can go without installing a single windows update...just my antivirus + crucial shit like .Net framework etc to run games. So far everything works just fine.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Question for the guys who reformat often, do you ever install any windows updates? I'm seeing how far I can go without installing a single windows update...just my antivirus + crucial shit like .Net framework etc to run games. So far everything works just fine.
    Works just fine until you get a virus. Why wouldn't you install the updates, it's not like they add them for no reason?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Works just fine until you get a virus. Why wouldn't you install the updates, it's not like they add them for no reason?
    Well that whole "get a virus" thing sounds a bit generic, since 99.9% of the time viruses come from websites...and I only visit the same popular (safe) sites that millions of others visit. My AV will dump any virus/spyware that DOES manage to make it to my PC, it also blocks remote connections and acts as a pseudo firewall.

From the security side I'm covered, which leaves me scratching my head because right now I have over 100+ important updates sitting there...plus since updates tend to be "layered", I'm sure more updates are waiting as soon as those are done.

There are some updates along the lines of "resolves issues with windows", which I won't install until I actually run into any issues with this fresh install. None so far.

I'm doing this to install as little junk on my SSD as possible, keeping my registry as empty as possible.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

15+ Year Old Account
    Well I'm not an expert by any extent but usually those security holes that gets fixed by windows updates tend to be more advanced stuff then just something you'd get by visiting an iffy website. And your firewall and antivirus can only do so much if the OS let's the stuff go trough. It's like trying to close the windows of your house when the walls are full of holes.
    Last edited by Ghâzh; 2014-04-06 at 10:29 PM.

Anyone happens to be using the MMX300 from Beyerdynamic? If so, how good it is? It looks very similar to the DT-770 Pros, minus the microphone. Have to buy something right now since I damaged my Sennheisers by stepping on them without realizing they were on the ground.
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

10+ Year Old Account
    they are still only 32 Ohm and 44 Ohm spec headphones
    After listening to my P7's i will never judge a headset/headphone on this number alone.
    These cans are miles ahead of my A5+'s and ASUS Vulcan whilst being 22ohm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    After listening to my P7's i will never judge a headset/headphone on this number alone.
    These cans are miles ahead of my A5+'s and ASUS Vulcan whilst being 22ohm.
    No, I get that, but a headphone amp doesn't necessarily do much for such headphones, especially if they are that low impedance and don't require tons of voltage. Basically, my DAC+AMP right now are going to do little to nothing more for my headphones than my ASUS Xonar DX did, but say I bought a high wattage low impedance pair of headphones like Hifiman HE-500s? It would show.

And that just might be the plan.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Headphone amp, nah not so much. But a good DAC will definitely be an improvement over the DX.

Though, if you're going to but a pair of expensive cans. I'd recommend you atleast try out the P7's.
    It won't give your amp+dac a real stress test, but that's not what audio is about anyway.
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2014-04-19 at 05:25 PM.