Page 2 of 179 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    They aren't popular. They are the result of people not being able to invent something new in a class. Because everything is pretty much covered atm. Tinkers are engineers, yet people want to pretend they aren't. I don't think the game needs new classes just to have new classes. If something new and interesting comes up, go for it. But not anytime sooner.

I just don't understand why they're beating out Bards, Spellbreakers, and Necromancers by big margins on that poll. Just seems kind of strange to me.

Some guy said its because of steampunk. But its not steampunk, its a Goblin with big mechanical arms coming out of his head! People really think that's going to be the next class? Why is that? What's the appeal of that? I guess I just don't get it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    is it that popular really? i mean i see a few people here on these forums that are in love with it but outside of here most people i run across dont mention it or when the topic comes up they brush it off and arent really interested.

same goes for demon hunters really. just my observations

Quote Originally Posted by dahorst View Post
    Don't care, I'm just waiting for Thrall to become a playable class.
    You spend the first 60 levels as a slave mucking out stables, polishing boots and getting beaten half to death in gladiatorial arenas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I hate the idea of tinkers. Keep whatever remains of WoW's dark side, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Not likely. None of the Tinker's abilities exist in the profession, and that goes for the Tinker abilities in Heroes of the Storm as well. If the class was brought into the game, it would feel fine, because it could do things differently and far beyond what the profession could ever hope to do.

As for the OP, the reason its popular is because it makes the most sense,
    It doesn't make any sense, and Blizzard agrees. Want to play a Tinker? Roll a Goblin and pick Engineering.

Fuck yes, another teriz- tinker* thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's moreso a vocal minority. But let them have their fun. Not hurting anybody.

They aren't popular, but the people who like them are very, very loud about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeppio View Post
    -Because it's an interesting idea.
    -We haven't had a technology-based class (we do however have two technology-based races, Gnome and Goblins) so they fill a unique niche thematically.
    -They're the only Warcraft 3 hero class who's iconic abilities don't overlap (Demon Hunter's core abilities are distributed between Rogues and Warlocks, including their iconic spell Metamorphosis. While the Tinkers main abilities aren't in use even by Engineering, the closest overlap would be the Goblin's rocket belt racial).
    -A third mail-wearing class (we currently have 3 cloth-users, 3 leather-users, 3 plate-users but only 2 mail-users) that can equip ranged weapons would help with distributing certain loot drops (A bow drops and none of your Hunters want it? No problem, the Tinker will make sure that bow doesn't go to waste!).
    -With Kezan/Undermine they could fit in to a South Seas expansion, which a lot of people want to see.
    This, though, I'd go further. Entire underground supercavern beneath the sea as the continent, including Undermine as a zone.
    Stabby stab stab.
    Avatar courtesy of Kelly Aarons of woweh.com

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiradyn View Post
    I just don't understand why they're beating out Bards, Spellbreakers, and Necromancers by big margins on that poll. Just seems kind of strange to me.

Some guy said its because of steampunk. But its not steampunk, its a Goblin with big mechanical arms coming out of his head! People really think that's going to be the next class? Why is that? What's the appeal of that? I guess I just don't get it.
    See that's the issue, you're thinking of what tinkers will most certainly not be, which is the over the top tinkers based on Goblin and Gnomish lore, tinkers would be toned back to allow to fit into more races thematically, Less insane person with bombs more in line with cunning foe that uses a wide variety of high tech tools in place of magic or physical prowess. As for why that's popular it's because that's cool, everyone likes Boba Fett, everyone likes Iron Man, and lots of people like steam punk.

I think it's the class concept I've seen with the least overlap with current classes.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's the class concept I've seen with the least overlap with current classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarlordsofDraenor View Post
    It doesn't make any sense, and Blizzard agrees. Want to play a Tinker? Roll a Goblin and pick Engineering.
    Oh? And what class would I be picking right after I roll the Goblin? It certainly won't be Engineering.

Again if Blizzard agreed, the Tinker's abilities would be inside the profession. Also I'd be able to kill more than creeps with Engineering's "weapons".

We really did not need another one of these threads... it's just the same handful of people arguing the same shit over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by WarlordsofDraenor View Post
    Honestly, don't bother arguing with him. You will get nowhere.

Steampunk is a popular concept. Also the fact that gadgets and machines are the last truly untapped area for class design.

While a personal favorite for new class would be a Dark Ranger, I can absolutely see the appeal of a Tinker and why we could get them. It's so much untapped potential and has the least overlap with other classes and specs of any of the submitted ideas.

Bards are tricky in a game that doesn't have true support classes. Even Final Fantasy XIV Bards cross heavily into Hunter territory. Necromancy is covered under Death Knights. While you could argue it's not fleshed out enough, it's still a key element of the Death Knight class concept and lore.
    Last edited by Bullettime; 2014-03-24 at 03:14 AM.

I think it's a moronic idea driven by the moronic people that thrive on the internet. It's called engineering and it defeats the purpose of your tinker class.

Warning, keep your comments a little more civil, please.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2014-03-24 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SLRRP View Post
    I think it's a moronic idea driven by the moronic people that thrive on the internet. It's called engineering and it defeats the purpose of your tinker class.
    Engineering has slowly had its effective gadgets and such been phased out of the game. Many of the older gadgets were niche uses and often terrible while they add less and less fanciness to Engineering to make it easier to balance. Engineering as a profession has always been plagued with that as when you give it fancy gadgets that are good, the profession is a mandatory must have. See Wrath of the Lich King where basically every DPS had engineering.

As a class concept, it allows them to flesh out the technology more and make more practical and effective things. Teriz posted an idea for an Artificer class for example that combined ranged weaponry with "hexplosives." Mail wearing bow wielding combatant using on the fly magic laced explosives and grenades, sentries, etc. Sort of the Diablo 3 Demon Hunter with even more of a technology spin to fit in with the WoW universe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Between Tinkers and Demon Hunters, I think I'd rather have Tinkers, just so all the people who want to roll a DH named Xxillidanzx can keep complaining.

I'd really prefer that they not introduce ANY new classes, though. It's already hard enough for them to balance the existing ones and I feel the ones we have right now already provide a pretty wide range of different play styles and lore. I wasn't a huge fan of the Monk class, either. I'd rather have them use the time and resources on actual content.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why? It is the stupidest class concept ever yet people are saying its the most popular possible class after Demon Hunters in that class poll thread (can't link stuff).

I can understand why Demon Hunters are so popular, but why Tinkers? I've never even heard of them until I joined this forum and saw like five topics about them...
    If you look carefully, they aren't really that popular...even here. The same people start and support every "Tinker" thread and poll, and the same people try to steer every "new class" discussion toward them. When someone starts a poll about them, most people either don't want the class made, or just don't care.

Personally, I think they have no place in Warcraft. Tinkers were a bad idea that started with Dragonlance gnomes. It should have died there. The argument "well, 4th edition had them!11!1one!!1" is not a point in their favor. 4th Edition failed. [Look up Pathfinder Player's Guide on Amazon. Look up the 4E Players' Handbook. Which sells more?] Moreover, 4th Edition failed specifically because it tried be like World of Warcraft. Adding World of Warcraft classes based on 4th Edition would form the Human Centipede of RPG design.
    Last edited by Vulcanasm; 2014-03-24 at 03:31 AM.
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".