Deleted

Prot Warrior - each boss barrier / block advice

Just for normal runs

Can some more exp prot warrior go through each fight and give the usage of block vs barrier. Using 560 ilvl and 2 piece. Avoidance build.

My take
    Immerseus - I would shield block with excess rage going to barriers - I would full shield barrier for when corrosive blast is going to hit me.
    Does that sound right?

Protectors - if on rook - shield block as much as possible - shield barrier for vengeful strikes. Do the same for Misery add
    HE - mainly block and excess barrier.

Are their any fights where you use Barrier more than block for either mitigating magic more than melee OR because vengence has got so high that it will mitigate more damage than block for melee hits(garrosh?).

Thanks for the time for anyone that does it.

Deleted
    So I've been looking at a lot of warcraft logs for good prot warriors on heroic 10man at the moment I noticed something I should have picked up on myself.
    But for a lot of bosses depending on your avoidance it actually seems to be better damage reduction wise to just shield barrier the entire fight.
    lets say a boss melee swings for 150k every 2 seconds, 30% = 45k, 45k*3 shield block reduces damage by 135k (assuming you dont parry or dodge)
    Shield barrier as a lower estimate on average will be worth about 150k but can go upto 200k and will reduce the full amount of damage unless ofc you avoid 3 consecutive hits, shield block however for every dodge/parry will lose 45k value.
    Obviously this is very very simplified doesnt take into account glyph of HR or crit blocking I'd like to hear more opinions though.
    Just to illustrate my point heres the log that really really confused about when to shield block and when to shield barrier.
    http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...aken&source=11

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, on normal it doesn´t really matter that much. I´d usually just advice to look up which attacks are magic or unblockable and decide if their damage or frequency justifies using a shieldbarrier for them. But I´d feel like a dick, cause it´s a dick-answer. So for normal mode only:

Immerseus:
    Shieldblock while tanking him. Have a full Barrier ready for his tank debuff. Keep Shieldblock running during intermission if your team needs your damage on the adds. If you are used to soak his swelling during intermission, use Shieldbarrier. If he shoots water and you cannot escape, use Shieldblock obviously.
    Protectors:
    If Rook - Shieldblock like a champ, have a Shieldbarrier ready shortly before he stuns you. Mainly Shieldbarrier while tanking the shockwave add. If Hee: Many attacks like his shadowstep thingy, his poison pools and the small damage spike if his stun hits you in the back are not blockable. If he has the direct posion or you are quick enough to avoid his pools and if he just use his stuns, prefer shieldblock. Otherwise Shieldbarrier.
    Norushen:
    Shieldblock. If you are downstairs, soak the non-interuptable cast with a shieldbarrier. But usually not necessairy. Shieldblock.
    Sha:
    Shieldblock. Not sure of the application of the tank debuff deals damage itself. Don´t think so.
    Galakras:
    if you tank the towers, Shieldblock during tower 1 and Shieldbarrier for tower 2. If I recall correctly, the second miniboss´s attacks werent avoidable. Not sure anymore thou, we usually burst her in mere seconds. I´f prefer Shieldbarrier for P2, especially if it´s drawn out. High stacking unavoidable damage. If you tank downstairs, Shieldblock.
    Juggernaut:
    Shieldblock in between tank debuffs. Full Shieldbarrier for each single tank debuff! If you are on bomb duty all by yourself (which is entirely possible for warriors) try pooling rage and have a full shieldbarrier for every bomb.
    Shamans:
    Prefer Shieldblock while tanking Haromm and SHieldbarrier while tanking.. that chic. If you use Spellreflect and Massspellreflect intelligently, you will have a lot of spare rage to even use shieldblocks for tanking her. If you use a tactic in which you tank slimes, Shieldbarrier while being amidst them. Foul Stream --> Shieldbarrier. Don´t get hit by the comet.
    Nazgrim:
    Shieldblock all the way. Every attack of him is blockable on normal. Doesn´t count for his whirling Axe´s or the lava streams left by his heroic jump, but you usually can avoid them. Adds deal almost no damage.
    Malkorok:
    Shieldblock during P1, Shieldbarrier during P2. Don´t forget about your cooldowns. Time your Shieldblock precisely. A Shieldblock used half a second before he uses his shockwave is a shieldblock wasted. He won´t turn to you the next 4 seconds anyway. Blleed in SHieldbarrier as rage allows.
    Spoils:
    Soaking red light spots is not blockable, the AoE of the Mogu is not blockable, the AoE aura of the big Mantis isn´t blockable, the orange puddles in the mantid room aren´t blockable, the tornados aren´t blockable and the cast of that black-ish mogu spirit caster thingy isn´t blockable. usually I use Shieldblock when I tank the big guys and Shieldbarrier if I collect the small guys. Boss is a joke.
    Thok:
    If you solo tank him going full-shieldbarrier might be viable after the second or third stack. otherwise, Shieldblock for him and his jailer. Don´t forget to disarm the jailer, especially if he is enraged and can´t be tranquilized.
    That gobbo:
    Shieldblock in between tank debuffs, Shieldbarrier for the tank debuff. Shieldblock for the add. Be sure to have a Shieldblock running after his Death from Above for those sweet 4 million Shieldslams.
    Klaxxi:
    Mostly Shieldblock. If you are tanking the stun guy, use a Shieldbarrier before he stuns you, if you don´t use a taunt tactic. Just remember: If you can´t avoid standing in something colorful, use Shieldbarrier. Especially in that fight.
    Garrosh:
    Shieldblock all the way. If you collect adds, be sure to backpaddle slightly to avoid them encircling you and hitting you from behind. Goes for the last phase as well, if your raid decides to make you offtank the wave while zerging down garrosh. use Shieldbarrier during the intermissions.

I am sure I forgot the one or the other ability. Just my two cents.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ronocko View Post
    So I've been looking at a lot of warcraft logs for good prot warriors on heroic 10man at the moment I noticed something I should have picked up on myself.
    But for a lot of bosses depending on your avoidance it actually seems to be better damage reduction wise to just shield barrier the entire fight.
    lets say a boss melee swings for 150k every 2 seconds, 30% = 45k, 45k*3 shield block reduces damage by 135k (assuming you dont parry or dodge)
    Shield barrier as a lower estimate on average will be worth about 150k but can go upto 200k and will reduce the full amount of damage unless ofc you avoid 3 consecutive hits, shield block however for every dodge/parry will lose 45k value.
    Obviously this is very very simplified doesnt take into account glyph of HR or crit blocking I'd like to hear more opinions though.
    Just to illustrate my point heres the log that really really confused about when to shield block and when to shield barrier.
    http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...aken&source=11
    Not taking into account crit blocking is like forgetting about half the ability^^ Not to speak of the HR Glyph. Concensus is usually, that if you cannot aquire large amounts of vengeance it is like this: He hits you, you shieldblock, he throws fire at you, you Shieldbarrier. Also, take into account that nothing hinders you to bleed excess rage into a 20- rage barrier after you used Shieldbarrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Deleted
    Not taking into account crit blocking is like forgetting about half the ability^^ Not to speak of the HR Glyph. Concensus is usually, that if you cannot aquire large amounts of vengeance it is like this: He hits you, you shieldblock, he throws fire at you, you Shieldbarrier. Also, take into account that nothing hinders you to bleed excess rage into a 20- rage barrier after you used Shieldbarrier.
    But given most people dont go mastery is crit block that big of a deal? I've ran a few flex parts since and noticed a considerable damage reduction just spamming shield barrier compared to shield blocking melee + shield barrier on magic/nonblockable hits. I'll probably try it on the first few bosses of heroics with logs aswell to compare.
    Ultimately it'll be a dps loss but it does seem survaviblity wise it works better to just use shield barrier on weak melee hitting bosses.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    But given most people dont go mastery is crit block that big of a deal? I've ran a few flex parts since and noticed a considerable damage reduction just spamming shield barrier compared to shield blocking melee + shield barrier on magic/nonblockable hits. I'll probably try it on the first few bosses of heroics with logs aswell to compare.
    Ultimately it'll be a dps loss but it does seem survaviblity wise it works better to just use shield barrier on weak melee hitting bosses.
    I don´t understand, did you try both and compared the results or did you compare your shieldbarrier results to someone else´s Shieldblock results or did you compare your results with what you imagine shieldblock would provide?
    Also, just to be hair-splitting, dps loss means longer fights means more damage taken :P
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.

Deleted
    I've done 2 runs 1 shield barrier 1 shield barrier + block compared the skada information (I dont record logs for our guild so just pen and papered damage taken and by what ability and from what source from skada). as far as dps loss its really not greatly noticeable but you're right any dps loss is a longer fight, Its not even entirely necessary I've cleared 10/14 heroic using both shield block and barrier its literally just that I noticed going through other peoples logs that you can seemingly reduce almost all the damage on certain bosses using straight up barrier and I replicated it myself (though not yet on hc.)

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Aw, I wished you had logs from that :/ I was really curious to see that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valech View Post
    Aw, I wished you had logs from that :/ I was really curious to see that.
    Same, the thing is I really want people to try it for themselves and post results I could easily have made mistakes. I did it in part 1 only so far
    heres what I was wearing http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Ronocko/simple (dont judge my transmog.) obviously people who go crit mastery will probably be better off shield blocking.
    and also sorry for sort of hijacking the thread I would have made another one but it would have been almost exactly the same question.

Deleted
    Same, the thing is I really want people to try it for themselves and post results I could easily have made mistakes. I did it in part 1 only so far
    heres what I was wearing http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Ronocko/simple (dont judge my transmog.) obviously people who go crit mastery will probably be better off shield blocking.
    and also sorry for sort of hijacking the thread I would have made another one but it would have been almost exactly the same question.
    Go for it - you are discussing what I want to know - I got a decent answer from Valech (thank you) it is pretty much shield block all the way with barrier in between and for high unblockable damage parts.

I was just curious to see if barrier over took block with high vengence which you are discussing so perfect!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BombayRoll View Post
    Go for it - you are discussing what I want to know - I got a decent answer from Valech (thank you) it is pretty much shield block all the way with barrier in between and for high unblockable damage parts.

I was just curious to see if barrier over took block with high vengence which you are discussing so perfect!
    Well yes, at high vengeance it certainly does. But you will not reach that vengeance on normal mode if everything goes right. Only three fights on heroic jump to my mind at all: Malkorok, if you solo soak p2, thok if you solo tank and PERHAPS garrosh.

When I barrier spammed on normals:

1. Solo tanking Iron Juggernaut after the 5th stack.
    2. Solo Malk Blood Rage
    3. Soloing Thok after 3-4 Roars.
    4. During whirl on Garrosh.

I think the thread shouldn't really be about telling someone when to use each, its more use them for what they're designed for..

Shield Block : Reduce Melee Damage, and increase damage done with the HR glyph.
    Shield Barrier : Reduce Damage Taken, useful in any situation where you're just trying to hang on, prevent all of the raid wide explosions ( swelling pride, iron star, you name it ). Barrier at high vengeance ( in the solo tanking scenarios ) is great for keeping yourself going, but if you're going to do anything semi-irresonsible like I listed above, you should be calling for externals as well.
    Armory
    Twitter
    Gladiator's Resolve Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bosch View Post
    Warriors are hereos that draw thier super human strength from thier relentless fury and thier unstoppeble willpower to fight on til the end of days.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's mostly shield block while weaving in barriers with the few exceptions that kaerthon just mentioned.

As well don't forget to abuse spell reflect! I saw a post earlier saying barrier for mysery during add part of protectors... NO just spell reflect that shit and take no dmg and continue on your way ( I take mass spell reflect here to negate both her casts!) Don't forget to reflect bore drill on IJ as well, and the fire arrows on Galak, Frost cast if tanking frost chick on shamans etc.

But most of the time it will be just tossing up S.block and then weaving in barriers with excess rage or saving rage for a big barrier on a big hit you know is inc.