Page 17 of 52 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    This whole idea of old ass men marrying girls the moment they "flower" is pretty sick and should become a relic of the past as soon as possible. Africa, the Middle East, and a few other parts of the globe are still pretty fucked up and archaic.
    Putin khuliyo

3 cheers!
    /10chars
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore
    I've been linked pictures of anime that are already like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by whathump
    What has science done?!

The people saying she was wrong to poison them all are... deluded.

They were accomplices in her enslavement and rape. They deserved what they got. Looking at you Nixx, culture and tradition are not excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post

They were accomplices in her enslavement and rape. They deserved what they got. Looking at you Nixx, culture and tradition are not excuses.
    Yeah, we're the ones deluded. Riiiiight. Can't be that we value human life and understand that a third world country with Islamic laws may have people with vastly different cultures from our own who may not know or feel that it's wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    The inconsistency is this: you argue she should have her life taken, because she took life.
    I am arguing that murderers should stand trial and be executed if they are found guilty if enough evidence is present to suggest they did it with clear intent to do so.

You have chosen to resolve this by delineating between murder and execution. A delineation which rests upon the notion that state-sanctioned killing is acceptable. I'm not so sure this is a given.
    One can be unsure of state sanctioned killing being murder, but one can't be uncertain of an individual's intent to kill coming to fruition being anything other than murder.

Is every "execution" by any government justified and thus not murder ?
    Every government execution might not be right, but every man/woman/child killed with intention to do so by any group or individual other than that is murder without question unless it is done in self defense. This was not self defense. This was murder, with intention, planning and successful execution.

If not, where do you draw the line ?
    Drew it already. Read previous.

You also are arguing that all non-state-sanctioned killing is wrong. I also don't think this is necessarily a given.
    Every kill that doesn't come after state trial and judgement is wrong without question unless it is done in self defense. If you are assaulted then you have the right to defend yourself using any means necessary, even if it results in kills.

This was not self defense.

Let's use your example of someone who murdered my family: it is ok for the government to kill that person, but not ok for me to kill that person ?
    Precisely. One is justice via the legal system, the other is vigilante justice. We cannot tolerate vigilantes otherwise what we have is chaos.

Again, where do you draw the line ?
    Read above.

You are saying some people deserve to die, but only certain people are allowed to make that assertion.
    No I am saying no one is allowed to make that assertion. Only the legal system can and should decide when enough evidence is made available to state beyond reasonable doubt that the defendant made the kill(s) intentionally and self-defense was not a factor.

You also seem to be arguing you are allowed to make that assertion
    No I am not. No one should be allowed to make that assertion but the system of legality and justice. I am simply stating my hopes that justice is rendered swiftly and the murderer is punished for her crime. As should any murderer.

because you are saying this girl should die. Should you be allowed to kill her ?
    No. I shouldn't.

No one should.

No one but the legal system.

I hope she fries (or however executions happen there).

Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    It's actually interesting how many ppl defend the girl. For their morals it's ok to kill and be massmurderer if certain conditions are met.
    Evil should be extinguished. In your weird perception, it would be better that she managed to disable them from the neck down, because you know "they'd be alive" ... Life is not precious. Life is horror and misery. Life is so abundantly horrible...
    We think we climb so high, Upon the backs we've condemned ...We face our Conϛequence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengalor View Post
    Yeah, we're the ones deluded. Riiiiight. Can't be that we value human life and understand that a third world country with Islamic laws may have people with vastly different cultures from our own who may not know or feel that it's wrong.
    Some things are wrong regardless of what cultural, religious, or societal mores may tell the perpetrators.
    Rape is wrong, even if society says otherwise.
    Child abuse is wrong, even if a culture might endorse it.
    Female circumcision is wrong, even if social mores encourage/require it.
    Burying female babies alive is wrong, even if society says it's the thing to do if you have a girl child.
    Gang raping a woman is still wrong, even if the head man of your village says you should do it.
    Killing your daughter because she's "brought shame" on your family is still wrong, even if your culture endorses the practice.

You can understand that another culture has its own mores and values, but that does not excuse you of the moral obligation to say, "This is wrong." Some things are objectively wrong no matter what culture you're looking at.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    Some things are wrong regardless of what cultural, religious, or societal mores may tell the perpetrators.
    Burying female babies alive is wrong, even if society says it's the thing to do if you have a girl child.
    Gang raping a woman is still wrong, even if the head man of your village says you should do it.
    Killing your daughter because she's "brought shame" on your family is still wrong, even if your culture endorses the practice.

You can understand that another culture has its own mores and values, but that does not excuse you of the moral obligation to say, "This is wrong." Some things are objectively wrong no matter what culture you're looking at.
    Yeah, wishing death on someone you don't even know is generally considered wrong too but you people seem to have no problem with that.

All child circumcision is wrong.
    Last edited by Vokal; 2014-04-11 at 06:22 AM.

Deleted

I'd just like to butt in here and say that pretty much every single example you gave is a matter of social subjectivity rather than moral objectivity.

For instance, you can say that unjustified murder is objectively wrong, regardless of society. The fact that pretty much every single culture in the world, no matter how advanced or primitive, has rules against it, is evidence of this. In the list of examples you gave, child abuse and killing female babies are the only ones that actually fill these criteria.

You cannot, however, say that something like female circumcision is objectively wrong. Obviously I'm not advocating it in any way, but ultimately neither you nor I have any authority to declare it as 'morally wrong'. The cultures who practice it do so for their own moral reasons.

Likewise, if there are no cultural or social boundaries to say that you should not rape, you cannot class it as 'morally wrong'. Again, it's not that I'm advocating it, but you can't go around imprinting your own views on other cultures. The fact that every single one of your examples is female-centric is proof enough of your intention to do this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vokal View Post
    All child circumcision is wrong.
    Again, who the hell are you to say that? What supreme moral authority do you possess that allows you to make that kind of claim and declare that every culture who practices it is evil?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    Again, who the hell are you to say that? What supreme moral authority do you possess that allows you to make that kind of claim and declare that every culture who practices it is evil?
    So, you support practices that harms people just because it's their culture? Seriously, some people in this world. Cultural relativism should just go the hell away when it concerns harmful practices.

You cannot, however, say that something like female circumcision is objectively wrong. Obviously I'm not advocating it in any way, but ultimately neither you nor I have any authority to declare it as 'morally wrong'. The cultures who practice it do so for their own moral reasons.
    It is objectively wrong no matter how you look at it. There is no way you can morally support it unless you're a misogynistic piece of shit.

I'd just like to butt in here and say that pretty much every single example you gave is a matter of social subjectivity rather than moral objectivity.

For instance, you can say that unjustified murder is objectively wrong, regardless of society. The fact that pretty much every single culture in the world, no matter how advanced or primitive, has rules against it, is evidence of this. In the list of examples you gave, child abuse and killing female babies are the only ones that actually fill these criteria.

Likewise, if there are no cultural or social boundaries to say that you should not rape, you cannot class it as 'morally wrong'. Again, it's not that I'm advocating it, but you can't go around imprinting your own views on other cultures. The fact that every single one of your examples is female-centric is proof enough of your intention to do this.
    Honestly, it comes down to how you view morality. There are a lot of people who feel there is an objective moral code. There's not. A lot of them like to scoff at the idea of moral relativity but that's simply how the world works. Morality is decided by society as society teaches the children and their idea of morality spreads. It's enforced by man-made laws to imprint it in the minds of their culture and people. There is no basis for objective morality. There is no god telling us what is right or wrong, there is no written human code, there's nothing imprinted on our DNA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengalor View Post
    Yeah, wishing death on someone you don't even know is generally considered wrong too but you people seem to have no problem with that.
    Exactly what are you referring to, in reference to me, by this?

I'm really not sure why anyone would try to make the argument that rape isn't wrong, but child abuse (btw, rape can fall under that, too) and killing female babies are wrong.

Cutting of the labia and clitoris of a child, then sewing them back up - which, btw, causes a plethora of physical issues, in addition to emotional and sexual ones - is wrong. This isn't subjective. It's wrong. It falls under child abuse.

They are female-centric because the topic of discussion is female. That is the only reason why all of my examples were female-centric. And yes, I can objectively say they are wrong. Cultural Relativism is every bit as damaging and bad as Ethnocentrism. If you have nowhere to stand, you lose all ability to be objective.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

So some people that are okay with enslavement and rape died. I'm really not seeing what's wrong with this.

Wrongful practices don't necessarily mean an entire people and its culture are evil.

I don't need to be anyone of importance to say that rape, child mutilation, murder and theft are wrong and should not be tolerated.

I want to hug the child out of admiration.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post

This kind of lazy post makes me so frustrated. Let me try to make you understand with an example.

In the UAE it's a crime to engage in homosexual activity. Penalties range from heavy fines to the death penalty.

I HOPE that you would think to yourself 'why the hell would they kill someone for this?'. Hopefully you can see how hypocritical it is to say that enslavement and rape are wrong while homosexual relations are right. [Disclaimer: I'm not making a moral judgment on any of this, merely pointing out how culture IS important in considerations such as this].

Deleted
    This kind of lazy post makes me so frustrated. Let me try to make you understand with an example.

In the UAE it's a crime to engage in homosexual activity. Penalties range from heavy fines to the death penalty.

I HOPE that you would think to yourself 'why the hell would they kill someone for this?'. Hopefully you can see how hypocritical it is to say that enslavement and rape are wrong while homosexual relations are right. [Disclaimer: I'm not making a moral judgment on any of this, merely pointing out how culture IS important in considerations such as this].
    All my wats.

Deleted
    Disgusting that people are cheering for her.

She killed innocent men. Sure, the husband took her as wife against her will, but what about his friends? What about the kids she left fatherless?

Lots of lives ruined on the whim of a psycho.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    So, you support practices that harms people just because it's their culture? Seriously, some people in this world. Cultural relativism should just go the hell away when it concerns harmful practices.

It is objectively wrong no matter how you look at it. There is no way you can morally support it unless you're a misogynistic piece of shit.
    Human rights are relative, so yes. It's their culture, their business. We have no right to interfere, lest we become as bad as the United States.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffHast View Post
    Human rights are relative, so yes. It's their culture, their business. We have no right to interfere, lest we become as bad as the United States.
    Sick attitude. You shouldn't condone inflicting suffering upon others just because of traditions or culture.