Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Info for veterans

How does the new ACA effect us as veterans?

If you are enrolled in any of VA’s programs below, you have coverage under the standards of the health care law:
    Veteran’s health care program
    Civilian Health and Medical program (CHAMPVA)
    Spina bifida health care program
    You don’t need to do anything more. The health care law does not change your VA benefits or out-of-pocket costs. You can continue to enjoy VA health care, which means you have:
    Medical care rated among the best in the U.S.
    Immediate benefits of health care coverage. Veterans may apply for VA health care enrollment at any time.
    No enrollment fee, monthly premiums, or deductibles. Most Veterans have no out-of-pocket costs. Some Veterans may have to pay small copayments for health care or prescription drugs.
    More than 1,700 places available to get your care. This means your coverage can go with you if you travel or move.
    Met the new requirement to have health care coverage that meets the minimum standard.

I pay an $8 copay. So if you think you as a veteran have to worry about the ACA then this should put you to rest. Btw, for any ACA supporters out there if I DID have to enroll I would have to pay $400 a month that I DONT have to pay now because I'm enrolled in the VA...Affordable my ass.

Mod-note: Moving this thread, it doesn't belong under World of Warcraft General discussion but under Off-Topic.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2014-04-13 at 10:54 AM.

I dont believe this belongs in the general discussion forum, I thought you were talking about wow "veterans", lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's information for American Armed Forces veterans advising them not to join the Affordable Care Act, because they get preferential treatment due to their military service.

A somewhat odd place to post this, but well done for making people aware I guess?
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Why should veterans be treated any different from non-army folk? I have never understood this. All of this "hero" stuff annoys me too. Here in the UK at least it is easy to sign up, and all the people I know have gone into the forces because they haven't found another job. They are not heroes, they are just making a living like everyone else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping View Post
    Why should veterans be treated any different from non-army folk? I have never understood this. All of this "hero" stuff annoys me too. Here in the UK at least it is easy to sign up, and all the people I know have gone into the forces because they haven't found another job. They are not heroes, they are just making a living like everyone else.
    I think without being American we will never understand; it's a different world over there and being part of the armed forces is still an immense source of pride for many families.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moved this thread, it doesn't belong under World of Warcraft General discussion but under Off-Topic.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Being in the infantry is not "another job" it is a way of life...something no civilian could ever fathom (understand). We don't ever claim to be heroes that's just what many civilians over here say to us before they buy us a beer.
    OT: Yeah, this is just to let any US military vets know that this new law does not effect our coverage nor do we have to pay anything out of pocket because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xires View Post
    Being in the infantry is not "another job" it is a way of life...something no civilian could ever fathom (understand). We don't ever claim to be heroes that's just what many civilians over here say to us before they buy us a beer.
    OT: Yeah, this is just to let any US military vets know that this new law does not effect our coverage nor do we have to pay anything out of pocket because of it.
    Being a farmer is a way of life too. I'm not having a go at Army people, I just don't understand the hero hype around it all. Yes it may be different in the US, but when people wear their army uniform to things like weddings... I just don't understand it. Things like that.

Deleted
    Being a farmer is a way of life too. I'm not having a go at Army people, I just don't understand the hero hype around it all. Yes it may be different in the US, but when people wear their army uniform to things like weddings... I just don't understand it. Things like that.
    Most people in the Military will be uneasy at being called a hero, those that encourage it have either never deployed or never left the wire. As for the wearing of uniforms at weddings, sometimes it is the nicest suit you will ever own, ever wonder why the Royal family chose to get married in uniform?

A farmers job is to grow food and the like...an infantryman's job is to kill..plain and simple. You can't compare "a job" to being in the infantry...they are NOT the same. Farmers dont have to worry about being blown up or shot up. They also dont need someone to stay awake at all times to make sure that someone doesnt come and try to kill them in there sleep. This is the disparity between civilians and the military...we understand you but sadly you dont understand us.
    Last edited by Xires; 2014-04-13 at 01:51 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xires View Post
    A farmers job is to grow food and the like...an infantryman's job is to kill..plain and simple. You can't compare "a job" to being in the infantry...they are NOT the same. Farmers dont have to worry about being blown up or shot up. They also dont need someone to stay awake at all times to make sure that someone doesnt come and try to kill them in there sleep. This is the disparity between civilians and the military...we understand you but sadly you dont understand us.
    It's quite obvious you don't understand civilians, or even the dangers of being a farmer, sure it's not as dangerous as being in a warzone but it's still pretty damn dangerous. Drop the superiority complex too, you aren't better than anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Veterans deserve special treatment because they put their life on the line and werent too much of a pussy to stand up and fight for the rights that non veterans enjoy and dont want to defend

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticpaddy View Post
    I think without being American we will never understand; it's a different world over there and being part of the armed forces is still an immense source of pride for many families.
    As an American with no military affiliation, I don't understand it either. I think it's mostly just military personal ("I'm a veteran because I served in the military during any kind of actual wartime activity, even if I was on a mainland base in the US the whole time and saw no action!") and their families/people they know.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Veterans deserve special treatment because they put their life on the line and werent too much of a pussy to stand up and fight for the rights that non veterans enjoy and dont want to defend
    Because everyone in the US agrees on which wars are legitimate, right? Doesn't have anything to do with being a pussy, and you're just throwing around buzzwords like "rights and freedoms" at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Most people in the Military will be uneasy at being called a hero, those that encourage it have either never deployed or never left the wire.
    I always appreciate Rich's comments. You're the kind of serviceman I would actually appreciate, even though you're not from my country. In my area I'm surrounded by obnoxious young soldiers with their hands out, expecting free shit because they're "protecting our freedoms" by not actually being deployed or doing anything. I heard one guy bitching about how he went to a bar in uniform expecting to drink for free and "only" one person bought him a beer that night. Poor guy had to pay for most of his own tab. He also referred to himself as a hero despite being 20ish and never having been deployed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    As an American with no military affiliation, I don't understand it either. I think it's mostly just military personal ("I'm a veteran because I served in the military during any kind of actual wartime activity, even if I was on a mainland base in the US the whole time and saw no action!") and their families/people they know.

- - - Updated - - -

Because everyone in the US agrees on which wars are legitimate, right? Doesn't have anything to do with being a pussy, and you're just throwing around buzzwords like "rights and freedoms" at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

I always appreciate Rich's comments. You're the kind of serviceman I would actually appreciate, even though you're not from my country. In my area I'm surrounded by obnoxious young soldiers with their hands out, expecting free shit because they're "protecting our freedoms" by not actually being deployed or doing anything. I heard one guy bitching about how he went to a bar in uniform expecting to drink for free and "only" one person bought him a beer that night. Poor guy had to pay for most of his own tab. He also referred to himself as a hero despite being 20ish and never having been deployed
    Those types are usually despised by the rest of the Military more than they are by civilians, I think in the USA they are called boots (we call them crows), basically they are fresh out of training, think they are John Rambo and can get away with anything. A few years service usually knocks some humility into them, it is hard to act like a tough guy when a Regimental Sergeant Major with 20 years service is bearing down on you.

Veterans deserve special treatment because they put their life on the line
    And yet they aren't even close to the most dangerous jobs one can take.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    I always appreciate Rich's comments. You're the kind of serviceman I would actually appreciate, even though you're not from my country. In my area I'm surrounded by obnoxious young soldiers with their hands out, expecting free shit because they're "protecting our freedoms" by not actually being deployed or doing anything. I heard one guy bitching about how he went to a bar in uniform expecting to drink for free and "only" one person bought him a beer that night. Poor guy had to pay for most of his own tab. He also referred to himself as a hero despite being 20ish and never having been deployed.
    He was probably some broke kid that bought a used uniform at a surplus shop and impersonated a serviceman to try get free drinks. Its abhorrent and illegal. A real serviceman wouldnt do that

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe not, but its the most important job. Without them we wouldnt live in a free country even though its less free than it used to be unfortunately

Deleted
    Maybe not, but its the most important job. Without them we wouldnt live in a free country even though its less free than it used to be unfortunately
    Spat my drink out.

Important sure, Most Important though? Get real. All the military currently does for basically every country is protect rheir overseas interests, they don't really do anything for protecting the "freedom of the nation". *Freedoming intensifies*

Rubbish collectors are doing a more important job right now, without them your cities would be knee deep in rotting food and packaging. No disrespect to those that have spent time fighting in the Middle East, but Iraq really wasn't a threat to our way of life (not to mention the fact that 9/11 was planned by a Saudi living in Afghanistan - and nobody invaded the Arab Emirates).

10+ Year Old Account
    What about those who prevent wars from breaking out in the first place?

The people doing the 'most important job required to live in a free country' changes depending on the situation that country is in. If a country is at peace then the police do a more vital job of keeping freedom intact than the armed forces. At that point your own fellow citizens pose a greater threat to taking away your rights and freedoms than some militia member 1000 miles away.
    Last edited by Theodon; 2014-04-13 at 04:36 PM.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

There hasn't been a threat to our freedoms since WW2. Now they're just instruments of political doctrine.