Thread: Complete redo?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Complete redo?

What would you do if Blizzard decided to do a complete wipe of wow. If everyone started again with nothing. characters are gone, guilds are gone, friend lists are gone. All ties to the former game, gone. All real money spent on mounts and services would be credited to your account in some way. The players and the devs would start over.

Would you love it or hate it? Why?

What do you think the general reaction would be?

Personally, I would love this. I ask because I think a lot of aspects in the game have gotten way out of hand, and even the devs seem to be rethinking some of their decisions, wishing they could go back on them. It would be really cool to see how people would react.

Would they roll the same characters? Would they quit wow forever? Do you think the devs would make better choices, a better game?

I am not delusional. I know this would never happen, just humor me.

most of that reset would mostly involve people engaging in tedious activities to get everything back to where it had been before. Reinviting friends, recreating guilds, all that. I think most people would take the reset as an opportunity to cut their connection to WoW as they would no longer suffer under the sunk costs fallacy.

I'd stop playing, no doubt in my mind. I'd be losing a character I've put 9 years into, and I have no interest in basically re-doing everything I've done on my account in the past decade. At that point, I might as well move to a different game- something without a sub, probably.

If I wanted to start over, I'd play a different game. If I wanted a different game, I'd play a different game, not hope for WoW to change. If WoW would reset and completely change, as you suggest, I'd never return, because I play WoW. Not some different game.

Deleted
    Dunno, ive been on a 7 week break as is so if they were to do it right now id prolly not come back but if they done it in a time when im playing the game and actively interested I might relevel the druid and death knight.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would pretty much wreck the entire game and they'd lose almost everyone. I can't imagine most people would be happy losing years of their time (sunk cost fallacy be damned). It would be the end of WoW.

Deleted
    It wont' happen,so I wouldn't do anything.

But since I don't want to leave non-constructive and pointless posts,I'll jump in.
    Would you love it or hate it? Why?

Depends heavily on what type of an overhaul. Since they would be taking down the whole game,I suppose it has to be a massive,complete redo. In that case,as I said,it would depend heavily on what they would change and what new stuff they would introduce.

What do you think the general reaction would be?

Negative. Fans would always react negatively to that type of thing,and that's fine. However,it would again depend on Blizzard's decisions and design choices if they (fans) would continue to bash Blizzard or support the overhaul. There would still be players who would bit** about how the "Game will never be the same" and "How they are ruining memories" (something along these lines) but that's about it.

Do you think the devs would make better choices, a better game?

If the "New WoW" got a completely new dev team,sure. I doubt the current dev team would change anything drastically,anything they want or plan to change in WoW can be done through expansions;no need for an overhaul.

Would you quit WoW forever?

No,I probably wouldn't quit WoW forever. But if Blizzard completely screw it up,I and everyone else,would.

Would they roll the same characters?

Who,the community? If all classes got a major overhaul,doubtful. People would still want to see changes to their main class,but a lot of players would change their main's class due to changes they dislike or simply because they enjoy another class more.

Instantly unsubscribe and uninstall WoW.

Deleted
    if they would wipe everything and said ok. Its vanilla again and we will be playing a xpack a year and replay old wow content so people again can experience endless honor grind for high warlord and AH40 twin emperor / Cthun. Why not. On a side as a server to relax ...it would have back TBC times...

I think people would be more realistic about the game if they would spend a month playing in vanilla and see how broken it was.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    most of that reset would mostly involve people engaging in tedious activities to get everything back to where it had been before. Reinviting friends, recreating guilds, all that. I think most people would take the reset as an opportunity to cut their connection to WoW as they would no longer suffer under the sunk costs fallacy.
    This. Blizzard would have to create an option to allow people to get everything back (friends,guild,etc.) which would be even a bigger challenge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    I've talked to about 10 Friends about this:
    - Every SINGLE person I talked to said the same thing: "If Blizzard Wiped and restarted WoW, I would instantly quit for good."
    Do you know why? Because losing all of the stuff you've earned over the course of MANY YEARS would hurt more than most people even understand.
    - Sure I agree playing the game for Community, and Fun - But also in the background is the feel that I've played for this long, and I have items that I can't live without.

If they Wiped, They would MOST LIKELY have a new Sub count of: Less than 1Mill. Just IMO..

10+ Year Old Account
    Would make many people go.. "Meh... screw this then" if they had to regain all they had before, then leave of course.

Pretty sure I would too.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I can't imagine most people would be happy losing years of their time (sunk cost fallacy be damned).
    That's probably the immediate reaction of most active players. However, if you think about it a bit further, what are you really losing? It's ridiculously easy to level alts today, you can even buy your way up to lvl 90, and every patch resets everything. I could most likely get back into the game and match your PvE progress before the next xpac hits, for example. What you really got out of those years of your time was enjoyment, and that can't be wiped away by a reset even if the in-game reminders like "achievements" can be.

Quote Originally Posted by LeperHerring View Post
    That's probably the immediate reaction of most active players. However, if you think about it a bit further, what are you really losing? It's ridiculously easy to level alts today, you can even buy your way up to lvl 90, and every patch resets everything. I could most likely get back into the game and match your PvE progress before the next xpac hits, for example. What you really got out of those years of your time was enjoyment, and that can't be wiped away by a reset even if the in-game reminders like "achievements" can be.
    This is why I mention the sunk costs fallacy. The game would be the same, but detachment from previous expenditure of time would remove the impulse to make that investment worthwhile. We already have some what of a reset, but with things like achievements and later transmog, we end up with some persistent connection to the characters despite the power wipe at the beginning of each expansion. Blizzard are absolute masters at creating a successful reward schedule for games that are perhaps too based on that reward schedule; without it, everyone would walk away.

Blizzard could certainly bump up their reset cycle with a ladder system, and work the wipe into their reward schedule, but that would be more than simply resetting the game.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Considering that WoW is their main source of income, they'd have to have another game already running at a similar rate in order to drop WoW.

Who knows how many more expansions they'll have, there's certainly plenty of lore out there to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
    All real money spent on mounts and services would be credited to your account in some way.
    That part will never happen.

This would be the ultimate way to reuse content. Bam, everyone starts over from scratch, so everything is "new" content. I wonder how many people who bitched about Dragon Soul and other dungeons/raids using old content would love this idea and not even make that connection.

Anyway, it would be a catastrophic failure and would definitely result in an incredible loss of revenue and investors.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    That would be completely retarded, and I would quit unless I could keep all my achievements. I never wasted money in the blizzard store since I already pay 15/mo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
    What would you do if Blizzard decided to do a complete wipe of wow, if everyone started again with nothing?
    I'd just uninstall the game and leave.

There's basically no reason to do this, so fortunately they won't.