Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Chaos Bolt bugged in arena?

How come chaos bolt hits like a wet noodel in arena? I know its nerfed in PvP, but considering ex. Frost mage ice lance which is insta cast hits harder and chaos bolt dmg beeing less then 50% of what it is in bg's im questioning if its intentionall or bugged?
    My CB currently hits for 140k in bg's and little ower 60k in arena, is this normal? If so ithink its BS!
    How can it be?

10+ Year Old Account
    My bolts hit for ~200k and my lock's undergeared

get gear. destro is the most op ranged atm.

There's no difference between battlegrounds and arenas in terms of damage scaling. Your abilities will all have the same base values in either situation. You'll probably see slightly larger numbers in bgs due to players missing their trinket setbonus, warriors sitting battlestance, etc., but the bigger factor is likely the arena players being aware enough to use defensive cooldowns when you're trying to burst. You basically have to run your target out of escapes and defensive abilities through multiple burst setups before you'll actually get a kill; that's just how arenas are.

You're supposed to chaos bolt with trinket procs and dark soul up. Not just randomly.

Because people on arenas aware of you casting CB. My bolts hit for 200k+ under right circumstances (2 pvp trinkets, DS)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dnusha View Post
    Because people on arenas aware of you casting CB. My bolts hit for 200k+ under right circumstances (2 pvp trinkets, DS)
    Exactly. People in arena are usually aware of your CB in which case they use cooldowns.

Besides that, 99.99% of arena players have 2 pvp trinkets which means they take roughly 10% less damage (I believe) as well as many arena players using glyphs and talents that further decreases damage taken. (Think of lightning shield glyph, other warlocks taking 28% less dmg, rogue's feint, mages temporal shield etc.)

@ OP I'm assuming your prb hitting under geared boosted 90s. Where as in arena you will find fully geared toons at 1100 mmr

P.s if you plan on getting serious about arena play Affliction

Deleted
    thanks for all your answers! One question, should i use 2 pvp trinkets with pvp power and int proc in arena, or should i use the "trinket" trinket ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yygers View Post
    thanks for all your answers! One question, should i use 2 pvp trinkets with pvp power and int proc in arena, or should i use the "trinket" trinket ?
    You only use double dps trinket when human.

No no, you use double trinkets as horde too. Mostly in 3s, but you can do it too in 2s.

edit: have a look at the ladders for 3v3 lots of players use double trinkets as horde

Quote Originally Posted by quitefrankly View Post
    No no, you use double trinkets as horde too. Mostly in 3s, but you can do it too in 2s.

edit: have a look at the ladders for 3v3 lots of players use double trinkets as horde
    double trinkets as horde vs double trinket humans

whos going to win?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quitefrankly View Post

You mean like 1/25 players? I don't see any advantage of using double dps trinkets as non-human, the ability to break cc is so much better than having a little bit extra damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
    You mean like 1/25 players? I don't see any advantage of using double dps trinkets as non-human, the ability to break cc is so much better than having a little bit extra damage.
    Locks can take unbound will and have a 1 minute trinket, similarly undead have their racial. Extra damage is the name of the game now, I havent seen a horde mage use a pvp trinket in a while. They might swap trinkets depending on the opposing comp too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I like how when people complain about getting killed by kill shot which can have a 43 yard range, no resource cost, and can be used again if it doesn't kill and everyone says WELL, HEY, YOU KNOW, IT IS CALLED KILL SHOT
    but when a warrior does it, clearly the ability's name is "useless wet noodle piece of shit strike with an exorbitant rage cost that should do the same damage as MS"

Well obviously if you're playing double dps in 2s then a pvp trinket might be useful, in a 3s situation apparently the damage outweighs the cc break every 2 minutes.

Deleted
    chaos bolt is not buged you just have to use it when cooldowns are up.

In 2s (with healer) I always use double dps trinkets except for playing against comps like rogue/mage.

It's largely due to Unbound Will. For CC heavy comps, a freedom trinket would be pretty solid. But warlocks have very high survivability and can usually get away with using Unbound Will in place of a freedom trinket for extra burst damage. This is especially true for undead players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BonesTheRabbit View Post
    It's largely due to Unbound Will. For CC heavy comps, a freedom trinket would be pretty solid. But warlocks have very high survivability and can usually get away with using Unbound Will in place of a freedom trinket for extra burst damage. This is especially true for undead players.
    Yeah, unless you play against a team with an Affliction Warlock, or a Shadow Priest, or anything that can punish you for trowing away 20% of your health, granted you still have enough health to actually use it.
    Maybe it's viable at 1.5k rating, but at higher ratings, doing 3s without PvP trinket is just asking to get killed.

Yeah, unless you play against a team with an Affliction Warlock, or a Shadow Priest, or anything that can punish you for trowing away 20% of your health, granted you still have enough health to actually use it.
    Maybe it's viable at 1.5k rating, but at higher ratings, doing 3s without PvP trinket is just asking to get killed.
    No dk runs with a pvp trinket, no mage runs with one, and about 50-50 with locks to my knowledge. Destro especially, they are like impossible to kill so unbound will health restriction isnt much of a problem. This is all from what I see with the top rated players and people I play with/against, some classes don't care about the trinket because they have other ways out of things and burst is king. An undead mage doesn't worry much about cc, they blink every stun, racial out of a fear, mage armor reduces cc duration by 35%, stuff like alter time, and can even block offensively, assuming they don't get a dispel. Having the proc and use trinket up when you are bursting is way better than the 2 min trinket for a mage, not to mention the pvp power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I like how when people complain about getting killed by kill shot which can have a 43 yard range, no resource cost, and can be used again if it doesn't kill and everyone says WELL, HEY, YOU KNOW, IT IS CALLED KILL SHOT
    but when a warrior does it, clearly the ability's name is "useless wet noodle piece of shit strike with an exorbitant rage cost that should do the same damage as MS"

rank 1 on us uses freedom trinket
    rank 4 also
    rank 8 also mage
    top affli lock at rank 12 also uses it.

I think only DKs mainly run with double dps trinkets because they have 3 ways of removing cc and then another way to prevent cc being applied.

Plus theyre not very good kill targets because lolbloodpresence.