Tank class with Best Reputation?

Hey folks, I started a thread called "Tank class with the Worst Reputation?" and it got a lot of cool replies and it gave me a lot of insight into the game since I've been gone since mid WotLK. Just coming back and playing a BM Monk (level37 so far). ANyways, I thought I would make a thread for the tank class with Best Reputation, as in, When 'X' tank class joins, the typical stereotype to the class is, "Oh good, it's a ______ tank, this will be a good run."

But yeah, like I said, the last thread was cool, so just making it's couterpart. Adding a poll since, didn't know I could do that for last thread. **Well, I thought I could add a poll. Not seeing how.

Ok, thanks.

Not sure if I understood your thread correctly but Tank class with the best reputation would be a tie between Paladin and Warriors.

It goes back to how consistently they have been either OP or solid tank classes.

Quote Originally Posted by topapagaramonde View Post
    Not sure if I understood your thread correctly but Tank class with the best reputation would be a tie between Paladin and Warriors.

It goes back to how consistently they have been either OP or solid tank classes.
    Yeah, sorry didn't word it clear enough. In the other thread I made about tank classes with worst rep, people brought reasons mostly for BM Monks and Blood DK's. They were saying that out of all tanks they play with, it seemed to them that they saw far more bad Blood DK's and BM Monks than the other tank classes. This thread is supposed to be kind of the opposite of that.

probably warriors because I have no idea what they do, but they either have a very communicative community or are really easy to play, but they appear to be hard to be bad at

pallies, because outside of getting the ultimate EF hot rolling, they suffer from the same issue as ret where optimal play is not nearly as far behind sub-optimal play as it could be (because of how HP generators function)

note that these classes have relatively less re-activity (in comparison to purifying+expel harm, frenzy regen, and death strike which are all used much more often) and mostly revolve around keeping a specific buff active, or at least that's my best take on it

their nature in that setup also makes them less spiky, meaning less healers going OH SHIT and throwing heals at them, because healers aren't going to know how much the tank can heal themselves for at a given time and current raids pretty much revolve around keeping tanks topped off at all times and occasionally blowing them up with hits for literally millions of damage

You pretty much have it for this tier -- prot warr/prot pally for best rep and blood dk for worst (BrM is tied though if you're doing LFR/pugs).

I don't get the point of the thread. Yesterday you made one of "the tank with the worst rep"

The ones with the best one are the ones that aren't the worst. Pointless question anyway, what does rep affect?

10+ Year Old Account
    Paladin or Warrior, but I don't diss the other tanks when I see them.

My tanking power rankings would probably go:
    1. Paladin
    2. Warrior
    3. Druid
    4. Monk
    5. Death Knight

Paladin and Warrior have the best reputation, And druids seem to be getting there as well...

But if you ask me, Monks are vastly underrated, we are capable of doing( and have seen it done) All fights just as good as Paladin/Warrior if not better. They are just honestly(Coming from someone who has played all three) harder too play and less common to find, and generally when you do find a monk tank they don't know their heads from their ass. Monk tanks in my opinion, are far more versatile then pallys/warriors. More mobility, Less CDS, can be used more frequently thou and are much larger and better in my opinion(Common 90% damage reductions + Stagger + Guard = OP).

The only time I see monks loose to DPS is warriors in 25 man, and those are the worries that stack complete crit and take tons of damage intentionally, Monks can pull these numbers without risking survivability loss at all.. Other then that, especially 10 man I feel monks are underrated yet the better tanks. (We get treated liker this thou cause people who try to play monk suck at it 80% of the time..)
    Last edited by Burnick; 2014-04-21 at 08:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    BrM.. Because I tank dungeons myself and I'm a BrM, soo

If I for some reason don't tank? I don't really look at other people's class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ryklin View Post
    probably warriors because I have no idea what they do, but they either have a very communicative community or are really easy to play, but they appear to be hard to be bad at
    Not just for Prot Warriors, but the Warrior community in general is a very strong one. We have TankSpot, which was created by Ciderhelm (who played a Warrior) as a resource for tanks to theorycraft and share their findings with each other. It originally started as a small message board focusing on tanking but has since grown to a full-fledged site with information for everyone about nearly every aspect of the game. There's also Landsoul, some math wiz who created and shared an Excel spreadsheet where you could import your gear and it would tell you how to gem, enchant, and reforge and also shows you (roughly) the amount of DPS you should be putting out; pretty much a Warrior-specific version of AskMrRobot, before AMR was even around. Blizzard even named a helm after him in WotLK. Samayael writes the Fury guides and has been doing so pretty much for as long as I can remember (and I've been playing Fury since 2006). And on the Warrior section of the official WoW forums we have @Day threads which basically function as off-topic chat threads. Many of us who post regularly in these threads have made friends with other regulars and formed our own mini-community within the game.

Maybe I'm just used to it after playing a Warrior for so long, but I really feel like the Warrior community is very tightly-knit and is led by people who are always theorycrafting and trying to find new ways to maximize their performance, whether it's tanking or DPS.

Anyway, to answer OP: Warrior or Paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by Denkou View Post
    Not just for Prot Warriors, but the Warrior community in general is a very strong one. We have TankSpot...Maybe I'm just used to it after playing a Warrior for so long, but I really feel like the Warrior community is very tightly-knit and is led by people who are always theorycrafting and trying to find new ways to maximize their performance, whether it's tanking or DPS.

Anyway, to answer OP: Warrior or Paladin.
    This is an interesting thought. Back when I played before, again, way back in WotLK, I remember warriors being like this. I was the 2nd tank in my guild at the time and our MT was a warrior. He was a college student and there were times when he couldn't make a raid, but he never left of hanging and lined up one of his warrior buddies to fill in the spot. Everyone time he had someone fill in, they were just amazing tanks. But yeah, it was like this little group of buddy's that were all warrior tanks, would fill in for each other in other guilds when asked, they would theory craft together, etc. Really cool. I never ran into that with the DK folks.

Haha, makes me want to roll a warrior lol. Maybe after I finish with my little Monk.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    I don't get the point of the thread. Yesterday you made one of "the tank with the worst rep"

The ones with the best one are the ones that aren't the worst. Pointless question anyway, what does rep affect?
    Well, Just like the other thread, it was interesting to hear people opinions really. Especially what Denkou posted, really gives insight to other things and not just the question I'm asking.

Deleted
    After SoO patch:
    1. Pala
    2. Druid
    3. Warr
    4. DK/Monk

Druid is up there because it's so easy to play "well enough" that it's rare to see someone fail too bad with it. Warrior is third due to FOTM rerollers trying to top the damage.

BrM needs more representation...

They are amazing once you figure them out.

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    BrM needs more representation...

They are amazing once you figure them out.
    I'm looking forward to this. At lvl37, I dont' feel like much of anything yet other than a meat shield pushing buttons for no big reason yet. I'm wondering at what level they actually start to feel like BM Monks? Like when do you start feeling that Monk flavor? I know this is true for any class at low levels. You won't really start feeling out the class till later.

Quote Originally Posted by ryklin View Post
    pallies, because outside of getting the ultimate EF hot rolling, they suffer from the same issue as ret where optimal play is not nearly as far behind sub-optimal play as it could be (because of how HP generators function)
    You'd be surprised.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pld View Post
    You'd be surprised.
    The thing with sub-optimal Paladin play is that you really only notice it in specific situations that the average player will never see. If a monk drops Shuffle, you'll notice it, even in LFR. If a paladin is macro'ing SotR to CS, you will not notice this until he goes and dies on Heroic Thok or Heroic Paragons because he did not chain mitigation appropriately.

There's also the fact that using EF appropriately requires quite a bit of counter-intuitive play. If you're sitting at 30% HP, but only have 2 stacks of BoG, you cannot simply panic and heal yourself (thus overwriting the HoT), or you will simply die later instead. You have to trust your HoT, your healers, and your own decisions, and many paladins fail consistently at doing this.

Paladins I think. Maybe Bears/Warriors as a close second.

Paladins and warriors have the most overall experience as legit tanking classes, therefore people who play those in Prot spec and have done so since BC will usually also be the best players.

Regarding skill gap between bad and good players, both of those classes take a bit of skill to be decent at. As a former prot, current ret I can tell you that prot is pretty well balanced around when to use your cooldowns and how to properly roll EF, and of course when to SHOR for maximum mitigation effect.

Bad prot paladins will get wrecked on Treasury Guards every single time, which is where you end up with dead tanks in LFR every single time.

It's pretty damn easy to see on meters which ret pallies are playing optimal and which aren't. There was ret pally in my raid who is consistantly 20-30k DPS behind me with nearly the same gear just because he makes bad choices regarding when to use 4pc proc and AW/GOAK rotation.

Edit: WAS. No longer with us. He also wore Fusion Fire Core on every fight "because it's Warforged".

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you're talking overall it's by and large warriors. Warriors have always been viable tanks since the beginning, with druids and paladins not being universally sound tanks with proper tools for most bosses until WoTLK. Sure there were encounters that were superior to have those tanks in TBC, but by and large everything was balanced with warriors in mind.

Blood DKs still have a reputation of being invincible, despite being probably the worst tank at the moment. This largely stems from them having the reputation of soloing content that others can't, along with being seen as the overpowered when challenge modes were first released (people just didn't know about Monks).

Monks have the best challenge mode reputation because they are well, simply the best at them.

But still, overall best reputation goes to warriors. They have history and a lot of people who play warriors have played them since the beginning. As such the community views them as veteran players compared to other tanks that might be better. A lot of warriors I know ended up being completely terrible this expansion because they couldn't deal with the changes to the class. DKs will never have a good reputation because of WoTLK primarily. Well that and that a lot of people start a DK with no prior tanking experience and start tanking right away thinking it's a good idea. Not that it's hard by any stretch (it isn't).