Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I have no one that I could get into playing WoW. They shouldn't make mounts like these exclusive this way....sigh.

Do people even realize that no flying in WoD zone will actually kill all desire for alts playing and even faster burn-out (at max lvl anyway)?

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    I'd like to believe maybe Blizzard is finally getting back to their roots and making good games and not just going where the money takes them. If you're so sure this will backfire what makes you think Blizzard is too dumb to realize it as well? Maybe they know it will backfire and weed out the entitled cry babies and bring back the hardcore crowd, I don't know. What I do know is that Blizzard is not perfect, they have made stupid fucking decisions but this isn't one of them. And giving people the "choice" just means everyone will choose flying and breeze through content. What's the point in making quality content if people don't give two shits about it and just want to fly to quest, fly out and afk in WoD central hub?
    If you make a change in your game that pisses of the majority of your customers...that really isn't a change for the better. There is no real benefit to removing flying entirely anyway. People act like the removal of flying is a huge new exciting feature but at best it will change nothing at all and at worst it will negatively impact the game.

I see you go for the tired old cliche of "bring back hardcores and screw these entitled babies" argument. It's like I've gone back to 2010 and I'm listening to TotalBiscuit again. In all seriousness, how on Earth would removing flying bring back hardcore players? Even if it did bring back hardcore players, it really doesn't help WoW since hardcore players really are a minority. The vast majority of WoW players haven't cleared normal mode SoO, and that sort of trend is seen throughout WoW's history.

You say people will AFK in WoD's hub if they have flying. Let me just say that they called it "Lagforge" for a reason back in Vanilla WoW; everyone hung out in cities back then as well. If anything, flying would lead to MORE people staying in cities since travel becomes more tedious. It takes some severely backwards logic to argue that removing flying will get people to travel more.

Sure, questing is trivial with flying. That is why every expansion, barring Cataclysm, restricts flying until a higher level. You couldn't fly until 70 in BC, 77 in WotLK and 90 in MoP. So the argument that leveling is trivialized by flying very quickly goes down the drain.

As for end-game questing zones being trivial; previously flying has either been disabled in end-game quest zones (Molten Front, Isle of Thunder, Isle of Giants, Timeless Isle) or integrated into the zone itself (Skettis, Ogri'la, Icecrown, Storm Peaks). There is no reason that the same can't be done in WoD.

Removing flying for an entire expansion can really only be a negative change for the game. Oh, and all those thousands of gold everyone spent on flying training and flying mounts will pretty much be for naught. That just might cause resentment.

Maybe the "cry babies" are actually onto something.

Actually Druid could actually fly at lvl. 68 in BC if s/he managed to finish his quest for flying.

Deleted
    The only thing that no flying hits hard is the ability to farm herbs and minerals, make that easier and no one would care about no flying (Garrison's will probably help with that)

10+ Year Old Account
    Well so far Warlords of Draenor = One Big Timeless Isle Content. What makes me more dissapointed about no flying is that now there back petaling about 6.1 Patch will not have flying in Draenor also. So whole expansion is no flying, the sole reason to do that for the entire expansion is development, Remember one Question was why cant we fly in Exodar or Ghostlands? Blue response cause if they allowed flying ppl would see the top of the everything will be unifinished, they would have to go back and finish it all up "Sky part". So in this way it cuts the time to do that, If they dont have the manpower just hire more ppl.

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    I'm sorry but good on Blizzard and I hope they stick to their guns this time around and keep no flying ALL expac. Fuck your "choice". Even now I have the choice of only using my ground mount but I'm not going to obviously. Rip that ability away from me and I just have to fucking deal with it. If you can't put the time into this game to clear some mobs before getting to a quest mob or run from World PvP this is not the game for you. Call it elitism, whatever. We won't miss you.

We could lose a million of you but Blizzard will still be top dog MMO and your whining and bitching won't change that. But please, go to other MMOs with flying
    I think a lot of people here didn't play vanilla WoW. If you wanted to go to Ironforge to Felwood to farm herbs, or from Molten Core to Azshara to get Hydraxian Waterlord waters, it took 30 minutes just to travel. And guess what? It was fucking awesome. Flying immediately fucked up the game. The only time flying was good was when a flight gryphon glitched and you bounced around uncontrollably at 8000% speed.

You want to go from IF to Dire Maul? Stand at the back of the boat with an Azure Silk Belt. Because guess what? The boat just fucking sank, and you were ready for it. This was when the game was good.

I didn't even realize there was content anymore. When I level an alt I spam dungeons, about half the group sucks ass in the dungeons, yet you still easily clear it without wiping and without using any brain power whatsoever. You don't CC shit. A run lasts 20 minutes and mobs don't respawn if you take 2 hours like in Blackrock Depths. No one on a pvp realm is going to level up with quests. I forgot they even existed, except for those 3 first days of the expansion it takes to max level. Then you fly over shit. Even if you aren't 90 you just pay someone with a 2-seater mount to fly you places. That's horse shit.

Imagine playing Final Fantasy, 6 for example, and the goddamn airship appears immediately. Even when you did get the airship at the end there was a boss that could aggro and wipe you out of nowhere. I would suck a dick for a chocobo in those games. It was extremely gratifying, especially when the chocobo song plays when you're riding on a big flamboyant bird. That's called a real ground mount, and it's all we should be able to use.

Even that I would debate, because the damn WoW mount comes out of nowhere. A horse just diffuses out of a cloud under your ass. You don't "summon" shit, like in Zelda 64 where the horse is an actual sentient being which runs to you from the horizon. Blizzard could even go a step further and allow you 2 abilities to use on a ground mount. Aimed shot or crackling jade lightning. Why the fuck not, knights used to do it. What knights didn't do was ride on a giant flying monkey with a venomous stinger (which doesn't sting) all the way across to America, land on Hiawatha's tent, 1shot him with stampede, feign death then fly back to Wales after defeating an entire civilization. Fuck that shit.

The game was infinitely better, and LEGITIMATELY addictive in vanilla. My raid leader got a divorce over the game. It took a buttload of time to do anything, but it made the results incredible. I would lead UBRS groups for 8 hours a day, hard as SHIT with respawns, with 15 people and no vent/skype. No DBM warnings or LFR Blizzard warnings. Your DMB warning was pressing caps lock, "SWAP TO THE FUCKING DRAGON," typing while in combat. Thank God they got rid of 10 man raids. That's not even a "raid," it's a "ladies night out" at a karaoke club drinking pomegranate martinis. Fuck that. Anyway, Blizzard is heading in the right direction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Quote Originally Posted by Meldon View Post
    The only thing that no flying hits hard is the ability to farm herbs and minerals, make that easier and no one would care about no flying (Garrison's will probably help with that)
    I do believe they said something about making mining and herbalism a bit more smooth.

fine, they want to "experiment" with no flying till 6.1..That's about 2 months, I can probably handle it; I won't been seen anywhere else other than my garrison or raids but w/e. No flying for whole expansion means this 7 year player will be unsubbing till 7.0

Quote Originally Posted by Shridevi View Post
    I think a lot of people here didn't play vanilla WoW. If you wanted to go to Ironforge to Felwood to farm herbs, or from Molten Core to Azshara to get Hydraxian Waterlord waters, it took 30 minutes just to travel. And guess what? It was fucking awesome. Flying immediately fucked up the game. The only time flying was good was when a flight gryphon glitched and you bounced around uncontrollably at 8000% speed.

You want to go from IF to Dire Maul? Stand at the back of the boat with an Azure Silk Belt. Because guess what? The boat just fucking sank, and you were ready for it. This was when the game was good.

I didn't even realize there was content anymore. When I level an alt I spam dungeons, about half the group sucks ass in the dungeons, yet you still easily clear it without wiping and without using any brain power whatsoever. You don't CC shit. A run lasts 20 minutes and mobs don't respawn if you take 2 hours like in Blackrock Depths. No one on a pvp realm is going to level up with quests. I forgot they even existed, except for those 3 first days of the expansion it takes to max level. Then you fly over shit. Even if you aren't 90 you just pay someone with a 2-seater mount to fly you places. That's horse shit.

Imagine playing Final Fantasy, 6 for example, and the goddamn airship appears immediately. Even when you did get the airship at the end there was a boss that could aggro and wipe you out of nowhere. I would suck a dick for a chocobo in those games. It was extremely gratifying, especially when the chocobo song plays when you're riding on a big flamboyant bird. That's called a real ground mount, and it's all we should be able to use.

Even that I would debate, because the damn WoW mount comes out of nowhere. A horse just diffuses out of a cloud under your ass. You don't "summon" shit, like in Zelda 64 where the horse is an actual sentient being which runs to you from the horizon. Blizzard could even go a step further and allow you 2 abilities to use on a ground mount. Aimed shot or crackling jade lightning. Why the fuck not, knights used to do it. What knights didn't do was ride on a giant flying monkey with a venomous stinger (which doesn't sting) all the way across to America, land on Hiawatha's tent, 1shot him with stampede, feign death then fly back to Wales after defeating an entire civilization. Fuck that shit.

The game was infinitely better, and LEGITIMATELY addictive in vanilla. My raid leader got a divorce over the game. It took a buttload of time to do anything, but it made the results incredible. I would lead UBRS groups for 8 hours a day, hard as SHIT with respawns, with 15 people and no vent/skype. No DBM warnings or LFR Blizzard warnings and shit, you had to press caps lock and write "SWAP TO THE FUCKING DRAGON" while in combat -- that was your "skype," and no on DDOSed. Thank God they got rid of 10 man raids. That's not even a "raid," it's a "ladies night out" at a karaoke club drinking pomegranate martinis. Fuck that. Anyway, Blizzard is heading in the right direction.
    If you think you will get those exact same feeling in WoD because of no flying you are just delusional.

50% to 80% of people will just leave / back off when a "safety/comfort zone" / convenience is taken away!!!

Another 25% will leave when they will realize that would need to fight EVERY MOB on its path do destination even on ALL THEIR ALTS EVEN AT LVL 100

Making people BURN OUT FASTER due to non flying - in WoD zones only means that subscription will get even lower.

Good luck then finding a healer and/or tank for select few 5M or even LFR!

Quote Originally Posted by Shridevi View Post
    I think a lot of people here didn't play vanilla WoW.
    I did.
    If you wanted to go to Ironforge to Felwood to farm herbs, or from Molten Core to Azshara to get Hydraxian Waterlord waters, it took 30 minutes just to travel. And guess what? It was fucking awesome.
    No it wasn't.
    Flying immediately fucked up the game.
    No it didn't.
    The only time flying was good was when a flight gryphon glitched and you bounced around uncontrollably at 8000% speed.
    right...
    Was it? Or did you just ebay an account that was made during Vanilla and claim to have experiences you've seen in youtube videos about Vanilla?

I didn't even realize there was content anymore. When I level an alt I spam dungeons, about half the group sucks ass in the dungeons,
    Just like it did before LFD (unless you ran with guildies)
    yet you still easily clear it without wiping and without using any brain power whatsoever.
    How can you define a group as sucking if they succeed at the goal? Is it maybe that you just get flustered because they don't do everything the exact way you expect them to?
    You don't CC shit.
    Speak for yourself, I try to help the tank by CCing when I can.
    A run lasts 20 minutes and mobs don't respawn if you take 2 hours like in Blackrock Depths.
    I'll admit I do miss 2 hour BRD runs.
    No one on a pvp realm is going to level up with quests. I forgot they even existed, except for those 3 first days of the expansion it takes to max level. Then you fly over shit.
    So you're saying people don't quest to level up because of flying because when they level up they can fly?
    Even if you aren't 90 you just pay someone with a 2-seater mount to fly you places. That's horse shit.
    It would take longer to find somebody to pay who will hang out with you for the 12-24 hours it takes to level up than it would to just level up yourself. That's horse shit.

Imagine playing Final Fantasy, 6 for example, and the goddamn airship appears immediately. Even when you did get the airship at the end there was a boss that could aggro and wipe you out of nowhere. I would suck a dick for a chocobo in those games.
    There was chocobo caves and forests all over the place. And I'm fairly sure you could run from doomwhatever
    It was extremely gratifying, especially when the chocobo song plays when you're riding on a big flamboyant bird. That's called a real ground mount, and it's all we should be able to use.

not sure if...

The game was infinitely better, and LEGITIMATELY addictive in vanilla. My raid leader got a divorce over the game. It took a buttload of time to do anything, but it made the results incredible. I would lead UBRS groups for 8 hours a day, hard as SHIT with respawns, with 15 people and no vent/skype. No DBM warnings or LFR Blizzard warnings. Your DMB warning was pressing caps lock, "SWAP TO THE FUCKING DRAGON," typing while in combat. Thank God they got rid of 10 man raids. That's not even a "raid," it's a "ladies night out" at a karaoke club drinking pomegranate martinis. Fuck that. Anyway, Blizzard is heading in the right direction.
    I don't even know what side you're on any more.

Oh yawn. They want the quests to be "epic". It's a video game, I derive no sense of accomplishment from finishing a quest. I want to go in and kill, then just leave. Even single player games do a better job than Blizzard does at that. They surround a boss with guards, so it's impossible to stealth in and only kill the boss. I don't see why they don't just surround the quest target with 10 guards if they want to make it "epic", or I don't know.... put the target inside a building with a single entrance.

And seriously, quit thinking WoW was ever a hard game. It was simple, easy. If you think WoW is hard, I'd really love to see you play Dark Souls. I'm enjoying the hell out of the 2nd game, I just go in there, completely blind, and kill a boss in less than 5 attempts. In WoW, that would take at least 5 hours for a raid group to do, if at all. When I got stuck and had to look up what to do, I one-shot the boss. People in WoW, they look at boss strategies online, and it still takes them hours to learn.

It's a video game, plain and simple, and you should cater to the people that see it as a video game first and foremost, as they only want to play the game and not have this grand sense of accomplishment from doing a piddly little quest, or "explore" the world. If flying was available from the start, that would effect NO ONE. It's all just a group of players that want their will forced on others. You keep flying, you can still explore. You can still get off your mount and sneak into an enemy camp. It changes absolutely zilch. No, it's just Furor wanting everyone to play his way, because video games are super serious business to him, and anyone that doesn't play his way needs to stop playing. We'll just ignore the fact that WoTLK was when WoW had the highest subscriptions, and it dropped dramatically when they tried to "hardcore it up" in Cataclysm.

Deleted
    "As an example, let us consider a quest to assassinate an enemy leader. From the ground you approach a fort with guards at the gate. You charge and are able to dispatch them and sneak in a side hallway. You methodically take out packs of roaming sentries, and some of them shout at you as they run toward you. You notice they’re in the middle of practicing dark and forbidden magics, and you take a moment to disrupt their ritual. Dashing into the main courtyard you spot your target, sneaking and fighting your way to him--and with a forceful slash--the fort’s captain is vanquished, and as guards are alerted you fight your way out, glorious and triumphant in your success.

Alternatively, from a flying mount, you fly over the gate, see some guy whose name is highlighted, land on top of him, kill him, and then fly away.
    "

Wow its amazing they finally realize how a mmo should feel like. High 5 Blizzard, keep it going!

Flying is fun, Blizzard are just terrible designers who can't figure out how to design content that involves flying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crembrole View Post
    Blizzard are just terrible designers
    Yeah.....NO.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I did.

No it wasn't.

No it didn't.

right...

Was it? Or did you just ebay an account that was made during Vanilla and claim to have experiences you've seen in youtube videos about Vanilla?

Just like it did before LFD (unless you ran with guildies)

How can you define a group as sucking if they succeed at the goal? Is it maybe that you just get flustered because they don't do everything the exact way you expect them to?

Speak for yourself, I try to help the tank by CCing when I can.

I'll admit I do miss 2 hour BRD runs.

So you're saying people don't quest to level up because of flying because when they level up they can fly?

It would take longer to find somebody to pay who will hang out with you for the 12-24 hours it takes to level up than it would to just level up yourself. That's horse shit.

There was chocobo caves and forests all over the place. And I'm fairly sure you could run from doomwhatever

not sure if...

I don't even know what side you're on any more.
    FYI I did play since the game's release, and on stress tests before release, and yeah I'm being absurd a bit for some light comedy.

People in dungeons do suck. I'm a healer, so I see everything. I look at the damage meters. (By the way, I have the time to do this because healing is ridiculously easy.) First I feel angry that the hunter's top damage is autoshot and pet attacks. Then I feel guilty at myself because he might be 12 years old. Then I feel confused, angry at the confusion, and want to boot him. Then I realize the dungeon is 20 minutes long (30 with their dps), so I dps while healing, and try to feel good about carrying them. No one CCs. No one stops to drink. No one even types 90% of the time, because no strategy is required, unless they're fighting over loot.

Also, regarding ground mounts in vanilla. At level 40 you had to farm gold just to get the basic mount. Then at 60, if you had the gold for an epic mount (the mounts everyone is complaining about using in WoD), you might as well run for senate. People wrote conspiracy posts about your being an illuminati, for the amount of fucking gold it required. You either ninja'd an epic and sold it, got some rare world drop, or won a BOE in a top raiding guild which no one needed.

If you had a 100% speed mount, with a second set of gear with carrot on a stick, mithril spur boots, riding gloves, you were not only successful but smart as fuck. Those people are CEOs now, that's why there are less subscribers. When you got that mount you didn't even question that it appeared from another dimension under your ass, it's literally looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Chocobo caves are a good thing. It means the mount is not only a sentient being and a real object, but that it has its own shelter -- and who knows, its own territory it marks with chocobo piss. If I remember correctly I think you could even make them fuck and hatch a chocobo egg, or maybe that's my twisted imagination. They even reproduced.

If WoW mounts were neutral mobs in an actual place you could click on and ride, that would make so much more sense. The point is realism, valid logic which doesn't have to be sound logic.

Flying serpents don't exist in real life. But if they do exist in a fake world they have to come from somewhere. Flying serpents don't just fuck each other during the last 2 weeks of a pvp season, have abortions if they go over the number of glad spots, and instantly make their children grow up and appear under the asses of new gladiators. Blizzard doesn't need to make an entire zone where horses bang each other, but a nice step would be getting rid of flying mounts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude Hero View Post
    Another thing about flying- think of all the important places you'd want to fly to. How many of them will have a flight path next to them? Probably like 95%.

The last 5% are probably good farming spots and raid entrances.
    For me the 5% are the most important and i want to get to the raid fast, i don't care for a "I'll never go there again Fortress" in "Nope nothing to do here Zone"

Quote Originally Posted by mmaker View Post
    "As an example, let us consider a quest to assassinate an enemy leader. From the ground you approach a fort with guards at the gate. You charge and are able to dispatch them and sneak in a side hallway. You methodically take out packs of roaming sentries, and some of them shout at you as they run toward you. You notice they’re in the middle of practicing dark and forbidden magics, and you take a moment to disrupt their ritual. Dashing into the main courtyard you spot your target, sneaking and fighting your way to him--and with a forceful slash--the fort’s captain is vanquished, and as guards are alerted you fight your way out, glorious and triumphant in your success.

Alternatively, from a flying mount, you fly over the gate, see some guy whose name is highlighted, land on top of him, kill him, and then fly away.
    "

Wow its amazing they finally realize how a mmo should feel like. High 5 Blizzard, keep it going!
    That wouldn't even work in the stuff in Krasarang Wilds. Because the flak cannons deal like 200,000 dps from 100 yards away. You have no choice but to fight your way in through the front gates and strategically move around, because if you can't land within 2 seconds of being spotted by a flak cannon you're dead. The difference is you don't have to worry about aggroing a bunch of level 86 crabs on the way to the fort that serve as nothing but a minor nuisance. But now in WoD we got crabs!

So Blizzard already has done all of the stuff they claim removing flying will do. And it has worked out very flavourfully despite claims to the contrary. Which leaves only 1 possible explanation: They are so far behind on the terrain modelling that they were told "Just model the stuff visible from the ground and flightpaths and we'll just soapbox about the ground being more immersive (despite the horribly outdated terrain texture resolution that is there to constantly remind you that you're playing a 10 year old video game).

Hope it's engineer made then.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Hope it's engineer made then.
    It'll be engineer made, but it will require rare materials so hard/expensive to get at the time, relative to the average amount of gold people have that you'll get 1 or 2 customers a month that will tip you the extra handful of cobalt bolts they thought they needed but didn't.