Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Blizz blues seem to be misinterpreting constructive discussion.

I have seen a ton of forum posts being locked on the blue tracker. The top excuse is "this topic doesn't lend well to discussion". Its mostly one guy doing it to. Did a blue get hacked or something? Now a few of them honestly needed to be locked, like multiple flying threads. However, they are locking some that Do lend themselves to a very constructive discussion (like the one with detailed responses to a blue about flying), or are no more silly then normal (enhance burst vs numerous rate my transmog threads). I can't post on the forums atm since Im visiting family so I dont have my authenticator. Just wandering what is up with that guy and his go to "no constructive enough for discussion" bs. Misinterpreting

Are you actually looking at the threads, or just at the OP + the blue response ?
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because there is enough threads and people really are non constructive on the forums. They aren't really misinterpeting anything. Someone down the line is abusing the rules.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    Are you actually looking at the threads, or just at the OP + the blue response ?
    The thread actually since it started to become their favorite response. If some of the responses are bad they could easily delete that and allow the discussion to go on since there is a chance for it. It just struck me as odd since its not really a valid reason for some of the closes and there are worse threads that get plenty of duplicates that remain. Like the transmog ones. Guess it seems odd since the response annoys me vs the fact it doesn't match the op that starts it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Because there is enough threads and people really are non constructive on the forums. They aren't really misinterpeting anything. Someone down the line is abusing the rules.
    Then delete the down the liner. Not the topic that Does lend itself to discussions well.

10+ Year Old Account
    hen delete the down the liner. Not the topic that Does lend itself to discussions well.
    You realize it's difficult to get all those threads since there's so many of them. They're only human. It's just better to lock threads of topics that are already there. Time and time again threads like this pop up because somehow Blizzard is slighting folks. I call foul.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    You realize it's difficult to get all those threads since there's so many of them. They're only human. It's just better to lock threads of topics that are already there. Time and time again threads like this pop up because somehow Blizzard is slighting folks. I call foul.
    That makes since. Guess im weird in the fact that it annoys me slightly that the reason they give to lock a thread is stating the op cant create a discussion when the op can and does.

Are you the guy who posted that thread in gen discussion on the forums?

Anyway, the moderation team on the official forums has been pretty hit or miss for years. I have seen the oddest things deleted that a) were constructive posts; and b) there were no existing threads on the topic. One notable thread I saw deleted was "what is your favorite wow expansion?" (the OP had stated that that their favorite expansion was Wrath; I'm assuming the mod in question was a Vanilla or BC fan, since this was back during Cataclysm). Everyone who had posted in the thread was posting constructively.

Compounded by this is the fact that the forums hadn't had weekend moderation for years, or very little moderation (there have been some memorable weekend posts over the game's lifespan), and that CMs now mostly just respond to the silly posts, I personally view general discussion on the official forums as more of a place where a pretty small segment of the playerbase hangs out to chat in /waggle threads. Constructive discussion happens, but not very often, especially when the playerbase is polarized due to one segment being bitterly disappointed about various game changes throughout the years and the other segment being blind loyalists to the game and the company.

Come participate in threads here, Blizzard does keep up with mmo-champion and slightly more constructive discussion happens here. I find the class/role forums to be pretty constructive on the official forums, but I try to avoid the official forums' gen discussion now if I can help it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like how you throw out the question "was he hacked"? Really?

This is pretty much just you not agreeing with their decision, not a genuine concern. What you think is constructive clearly isn't what they think is, and it's their forum.

The copy/paste quote states that the thread is not conducive to constructive discussion.
    Look what happens every time someone tries to present a good argument against the non-flying.
    Someone will come out and start accusing them of being lazy, of bring a "wrath baby", and all sorts of other insults simply because they aren't willing to have a constructive discussion.
    That is why they get derailed.

Some portions of the non-flying crowd do not want to discuss the subject, because they know we have a good point.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I like how you throw out the question "was he hacked"? Really?

This is pretty much just you not agreeing with their decision, not a genuine concern. What you think is constructive clearly isn't what they think is, and it's their forum.
    Well, I can't agree with your assumption that I am not concerned. I was because their response made no sense in my eyes irregardless of what some of the responses were, it did have the ability to create a valid discussion that a few people just derailed either on purpose or not at all. Like the enhance burst one has the same response yet None of the multiple rate my transmog threads has it even though the "does not lend well to discussion" response is quite valid there. Maybe next time I won't voice my opinion on something some seem to think is impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Are you the guy who posted that thread in gen discussion on the forums?
    Nope. I cant post on their forums atm since I dont have my authenticator.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    The copy/paste quote states that the thread is not conducive to constructive discussion.
    Look what happens every time someone tries to present a good argument against the non-flying.
    Someone will come out and start accusing them of being lazy, of bring a "wrath baby", and all sorts of other insults simply because they aren't willing to have a constructive discussion.
    That is why they get derailed.

Some portions of the non-flying crowd do not want to discuss the subject, because they know we have a good point.
    Yeah, I do not understand why they do not simply handle the people who derail the threads. Maybe because they don't want to discus the flying themselves either. I still don't know why some of the threads that have tons of copies almost daily don't ever get locked but some of the better ones do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Inconsistency happens. Really it sometimes happens here to. I once called MMO

MMO-FlyingChampion.com as a joke

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Yeah, I do not understand why they do not simply handle the people who derail the threads.
    They do. It's more difficult to tell publicly when a player has been dealt with there versus a forum like mmo-champ, but yes, those players are usually dealt with in some manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    They do. It's more difficult to tell publicly when a player has been dealt with there versus a forum like mmo-champ, but yes, those players are usually dealt with in some manner.
    Well, I guess what I mean is why not deal with and remove them vs locking an entire thread that can still yield a good discussion.

You honest to god looked at the OP in those threads and thought they had great promise?

I just wish blue tracker would skip "this thread is non-constructive/there are already threads on this topic" blue posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I just wish blue tracker would skip "this thread is non-constructive/there are already threads on this topic" blue posts.
    I agree, usually there's very little constructive discussion going on in threads like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    You honest to god looked at the OP in those threads and thought they had great promise?

A few did strike me as having some promise yes. It was more of the same response across the board for them all when other responses would have been better that struck me as odd.

10+ Year Old Account
    A few did strike me as having some promise yes. It was more of the same response across the board for them all when other responses would have been better that struck me as odd.
    Someone in another thread told me new mods came in. I dunno why but /shrug. Tbh it still bugs me even after the forum revamp people are still toxic but alas. Welcome to the Internet.

Warrior-Magi

All I see are troll threads that got locked today on the forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're only surprised because Blizzard is suddenly actually doing some moderation on their forums. Not to worry. It's unlikely to last.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I guess what I mean is why not deal with and remove them vs locking an entire thread that can still yield a good discussion.
    Because in most of those cases the post at the top of the thread would have been closed here too. If you delete the original post there's not a lot left to discuss. Right?
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Sounds like you've never moderated an even remotely busy forum. If you had, you'd realize how time consuming it can be to try and deal with everything the way you're expecting. I used to be a mod on another site a while back and that place was nowhere near as busy as the the Blizz forums. We tried to even handed and fair, only dealing with the real trouble makers and merging duplicate threads, etc (which could end up being really confusing when 8 conversations got all tangled up together) but even there it sometimes got to the point where you just had to shut down all the offending threads, create a new one and then pull out the ban hammer; not necessarily in that order.
    As for the mods using the same message when locking multiple threads? Again: taking the time to respond in detail to each thread when there are many to be dealt with? It takes for-freaking-EVER. That's why you end up creating a notepad file or ten with some responses ready to use.

edit - And remember, that's the only thing you do see them doing. You have no idea what else is going on behind the scenes they have to deal with. Warning/ban paperwork, updating profiles of the offenders, ban/warning emails. It really, really is a lot of work and is also a very thankless job.
    Last edited by Scufflegrit; 2014-04-28 at 07:15 AM.