Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Did people really dislike threat management for DPS?

This is one of the things that I miss from earlier expansions (primarily TBC). While I do agree that it could've been improved and handled a bit better, I actually liked the concept of managing your threat as a DPS class. It was fun, and made it a bit more interesting to play when you didn't just stand around and do your rotation. It also made it easy to tell a good tank from an OK one.

Did Blizzard remove this element of gameplay due to player feedback, or did they just grow tired of it themselves? I'd love to see this type of threat management return. Perhaps not in LFR (that would be disastrous), but in Mythic perhaps. What do you think?
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.

I think they just grew tired of it. It often meant tanks -had- to be at the same level of dps, or be completely useless.

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't necessary, I think, for raiders. It is necessary, though, for LFR content, and as dps gear overtook tank gear it sometimes became mathematically impossible to hold threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    It isn't necessary, I think, for raiders. It is necessary, though, for LFR content, and as dps gear overtook tank gear it sometimes became mathematically impossible to hold threat.
    I dont queue lfr as a dps anymore, because I deal too much damage On the other hand, I liked to watch over my threat, but at the current tanking model, threat would be more of a burden than an interesting game mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Coronius View Post
    This is one of the things that I miss from earlier expansions (primarily TBC). While I do agree that it could've been improved and handled a bit better, I actually liked the concept of managing your threat as a DPS class. It was fun, and made it a bit more interesting to play when you didn't just stand around and do your rotation. It also made it easy to tell a good tank from an OK one.

Did Blizzard remove this element of gameplay due to player feedback, or did they just grow tired of it themselves? I'd love to see this type of threat management return. Perhaps not in LFR (that would be disastrous), but in Mythic perhaps. What do you think?
    Threat management is still here. Everytime I go into pug content I fear for my life when Salvation is on cooldown.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never likes it myself. It was just an annoyance to me. If the tank was good it wasn't an issue, if the tank was bad then you just get pissed at the tank. I never found it interesting to stand around doing nothing because the tank couldn't handle the damage I was doing.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    I never likes it myself. It was just an annoyance to me. If the tank was good it wasn't an issue, if the tank was bad then you just get pissed at the tank. I never found it interesting to stand around doing nothing because the tank couldn't handle the damage I was doing.
    Imagine how frustrating it was if you had a really good tank but he still couldn't hold threat because you did 10k dps and he did 1k.

Back then(tbc), there wasnt much else to do then watch threat levels. Most of the classes/specs had no 2nd rescoure system or procs that we have now. DPS rotation were super simpel for the mostpart and managing threat gave us someting to do besides spamming two or three buttons.
    Quote Originally Posted by ViridianWRA - 23/03/2014 View Post
    Seriously. Someone bookmark this. If we go all the way from 6.0 to 7.0 and there is never a paid Garrison feature on the blizzard store, I will go to the store, purchase a hat and film myself eating it.

Imagine how frustrating it was if you had a really good tank but he still couldn't hold threat because you did 10k dps and he did 1k.
    Then he wouldn't be a very good tank? seems like pretty clear cut logic

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly, what was fun about improving your character when all it meant was that you had to nerf yourself because the tanks could no longer keep up?
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

10+ Year Old Account
    Loved it, loved that people had their own job to keep control on thread, put a little danger to it.

Now it is more, don't attack within a few seconds and tanks should be able to cope with it all.

Back when you needed to prio on blessing of salvation for the ones who does highest DPS ^^
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I think this is likely the key. I raided both as dps and tank (and healer) during wrath and threat management was just one of several things you were supposed to juggle. What with the random matchmaking of LFR however it makes sense to make it a non-issue, you'd never convey the concept to random people. Heck, it was sometimes hard enough to get it across to supposed competent people in normal raids.

Sad tho because creative encounter mechanisms to handle threat was sort of fun to factor in (LDW HC for instance), or watching threat as inactive tank on Festergut (or was it Rotface? Hm.)

I miss threat being a thing but I think that's because I came from games where aggro management matters more and in FFXI especially there was a stat would would modify threat gain. I also remember things from there and EverQuest where we would split thread among multiple people to kite things back and forth. Which felt a lot more fun and intense than "Stand here, DPS the boss, move slightly to my left when fire goes out (because something has to threaten the non-tanks in WoW), keep DPSing the boss."

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think its removal was a result of player complaint. I think that the developers realized early on that tank threat relative to DPS gear scaling was going to be a problem, particularly in cases where a lesser geared tank was with highly geared DPS. To make it easier to balance around they just made it practically impossible to peel aggro from tanks across the board.

Deleted
    As a DPSer, I loved it. It was yet another way to gauge a DPS's skill.
    Good DPS will output grand numbers. Stellar DPS players will do the same, while keeping his/her threat low.

I think the error was on Blizzard's end when they start buffing too much the tanks threat over the expansions.
    Like in many other issues, they go from 1 to 100.
    What's the point of threat management if most of the time it is not an issue for neither tanks nor the DPS?

I remember when the Warlock community rejoiced when Soulshatter was given to them. It was in BC, maybe...?
    With the conjunction of Vengeance+Tricks+MD, I bet a lot of PVE DPS don't have any threat dump spells on their action bars at all.

Deleted
    Threat management before the tank changes was literally either using a cooldown to lower threat or relagate yourself to auto attacking or wanding. How the hell is that fun?

"Oh I have to stop doing what my spec is supposed to do to let other specs catch up to do what they're supposed to do"

All my guilds(4) has had threat issues(dead dps due to aggro) in all tiers of MoP.
    I find it very annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    Threat management before the tank changes was literally either using a cooldown to lower threat or relagate yourself to auto attacking or wanding. How the hell is that fun?

"Oh I have to stop doing what my spec is supposed to do to let other specs catch up to do what they're supposed to do"
    Or you're the ret paladin without threat reduction and the black sheep even among this bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by BergErr View Post
    All my guilds(4) has had threat issues(dead dps due to aggro) in all tiers of MoP.
    I find it very annoying.
    4 bad tanks in 4 guilds, that sucks

Quote Originally Posted by BergErr View Post
    I find it very annoying.
    Maybe you need smarter dps.