Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why IS WoW's night time so bright? There's no difference between night and day.

Why did they do this?

They don't need to make it frigging pitch black and require lanterns or anything.. but really.. it's pretty lame. Something that's bothered me for the past 9 1/2 years with this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you even seen Shadowmoon Valley in Draenor? It's gonna look awesome. Night ALL NIGHT LONG.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

There are several threads about this topic. There doesn't seem to be a fix in the works for day/night in Azeroth, though night in Draenor seems pretty decent.

Deleted
    They did this because some people only play at night and it was too dark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Why did they do this?

They don't need to make it frigging pitch black and require lanterns or anything.. but really.. it's pretty lame. Something that's bothered me for the past 9 1/2 years with this game.
    it hasnt been 9½ years since the change. but yah recoloring the sky to black yet leaving all the lights on, doesnt really help with my immersion.

their intent in the change was noble, but in true Blizzard fashion they went to the extreme opposite end, rather than finding an acceptable middle ground. now we only have perma daytime.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Hey, you could always just, not play?

Apparently it has something to do with shadows. They tried making nights dark again but the way shadows worked everything went pitch black. They're working on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Can only go so far with it without impacting gameplay though. For example, I play mostly at nights during the week, so I don't want it to be more difficult to see where I'm going or see mobs or see other players or anything like that, otherwise its going to severely impact mine (and many people's) enjoyment of the game. Game needs to be just as easy to play and just as easy to see what you're doing at night as it does during the day, so that limits how dark you can really make it.

Quote Originally Posted by DreadNeos View Post
    You could always just not wake up.

There are several threads about this topic.
    Last edited by rapsoncha; 2014-04-30 at 04:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, I quite like being able to see where I'm going.

Quote Originally Posted by rapsoncha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaige View Post
    Oh, there are? I don't see any. I also did a quick search and couldn't find any recent ones. Just because someone made a thread about it sometime ago, does not mean it can never be discussed again in the future.
    Last edited by ercarp; 2014-04-30 at 05:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good morning, all night long.

Quote Originally Posted by rapsoncha View Post
    Yeah you're taking up valuable space that could be used to cram in yet more WoD flying threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadNeos View Post
    That's my absolute least favorite response to any problem.. of all time.. ever.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

Quote Originally Posted by Duravian View Post
    That's my absolute least favorite response to any problem.. of all time.. ever.
    We all know that we have some very mature, thoughtful posters here on MMO-Champion.

That said, OP, you'll find that there are a lot of people out there who want darker nights and I think they intend to fiddle with it a bit for Draenor since the "fix" in the Siege of Orgrimmar patch didn't do much (it was noted that they tried to darken Orgrimmar and Stormwind at night a bit but it didn't do anything really)

To this day one of the only things I take away from FFXIV was how great the game looked at night - I remember Coerthas Highlands (snowy zone) looked amazing at night and it was kind of cool how your field of vision was a little bit lessened.
    Signature dunked by a lame MMO Champ robot.

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Why did they do this?

Reason is that some people play during the night time (server wise) and don't get to play during the day. Making the game just as bright as day time was made so that players could actually play rather than squinting all the time.

It's because kids are afraid of the dark. Sad, but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Reason is that some people play during the night time (server wise) and don't get to play during the day. Making the game just as bright as day time was made so that players could actually play rather than squinting all the time.
    I don't believe this is the actual reason although it sort of makes sense. Blizzard has acknowledged that it is a problem, just hasn't addressed it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Greened View Post
    They did this because some people only play at night and it was too dark.
    stop spreading this stupid rumor

it was a purely artistic decision, nothing else, had something to do with their new shadows if I remember correctly

Deleted
    Night times would cost a raid tier.

What are going to do, infract me?