Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Herradura View Post
    I've considered that before, too... maybe Azeroth is just one big old god. Or the original old god got all chopped up into distinct entities in the Sundering.

I don't think the 5 old gods thing is canon. It's just outdated speculation (counted that giant faceless one in Darkshore as an OG). The Tirisfal thing is specifically not an old god, and only had an effect on elves. I like the "corrupted Sholozar/Un'Goro" idea, never heard that one before. Maybe it's where the trolls originally naturally evolved then wandered away. Maybe they fucked it up with some o' dat voodoo they do. We all know how reckless trolls can be. Anyway, the elves evolved from trolls, and they just said "screw this place" and kept on trucking to what became Quel'Thalas, which as we all know is ancestral troll land. Then the humans set up shop in Tirisfal.

Still doesn't bring in the Guardian of Tirisfal thing... why Tirisfal? It's a curious title. Who knows.
    Elves that made Quel'thalas didn't evolve from trolls, those evles that we call Blood Elves are part of Night elves Highborn and they became light skinned due to further usage/practice of Quel'Thalas magic, since they created their own well in there to fuel their addiction to magic. After Sundering and banishment of Hihgborn from Night Elves society, those Highborn that didn't want to stop practicing magic took ships and left what is know today as Kalimdor and found new land to settle in EK.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoroth View Post
    Elves that made Quel'thalas didn't evolve from trolls, those evles that we call Blood Elves are part of Night elves Highborn and they became light skinned due to further usage/practice of Quel'Thalas magic, since they created their own well in there to fuel their addiction to magic. After Sundering and banishment of Hihgborn from Night Elves society, those Highborn that didn't want to stop practicing magic took ships and left what is know today as Kalimdor and found new land to settle in EK.
    [Elven morning beauty ritual]
    Elven beauty: Mirror mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?
    Mirror: *shows a reflection of a troll*
    Elven beauty: *screams and faints*
    Mirror: *evil chuckle* >

Totally irrelevant, I know. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I recall an offhand comment implying he was "cashing Deathwing's checks" but that never bore fruit ingame. It sounded from that interview like he'd be involved in DS and yet he wasn't, apart from being mentioned in passing by Yor and Zon. Always wondered what that might mean and if they changed their mind about his role. That one interview, to my knowledge, is the only place we ever heard anything about N'Zoth. If it hadn't happened we wouldn't even know who he was. I'd say anything about him remains in the realm of speculation until he or lore concerning him appears ingame.

I don't remember them confirming the Nightmare though - do you have that link?
    They said the stuff was in the game for those astute enough to find it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Who is the next Old God? Doomsday from putting down all the Old Gods? Not seeing much besides Cataclysm, but that's really with Deathwing.
    CM: Or is it? You haven't seen who signs Deathwing's paychecks yet.
    [...]
    AA: Have you played any Cataclysm?
    CM: You know, like where the world blows up? ...because of the Old Gods.
    AA: You might, if you're astute enough, see his name or its name uttered in a few places in Cataclysm... but it's out there.
    CM: You wanna know what it is?
    AA: N'Zoth.
    CM: The third Old God is N'Zoth. And we've suggested directly that he has was the critter responsible for the spark of the Emerald Nightmare, and he has all sorts of other weird shit going on. So, he's a real problem. (BlizzCon 2010)
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2014-05-05 at 08:06 PM.

Wait so theres also Old Gods in other planets? So does this mean that they come from somewhere else or is there meant to be Old Gods in every planet? Because I thought the Old Gods were something of Azeroth I didnt actually know theres also Old Gods in Draenor. So if theres an Old God in Draenor are they related to the Old Gods in Azeroth or are the Old Gods in Draenor completely different from the Old Gods in Azeroth?

Sorry about all the questions Im just really liking the Old God(s) most in Warcraft lore over anything but yeah I dont really know much about Warcraft lore and storyline but Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos and Frozen Throne Burning Legion Scourge and all that..
    Last edited by AZM; 2014-05-06 at 07:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They come from an unspecified plane different from the physical ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    They come from an unspecified plane different from the physical ones.
    So basically like another dimension or something like that elemental plane thing I dont know much about it but it sorta sounds like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AZM View Post
    So basically like another dimension or something like that elemental plane thing I dont know much about it but it sorta sounds like it.
    Probably a plane more like the Twisting Nether or Void. The elemental plane was created by the Titans to imprison the elemental servants of the Old Gods.

The exact phrasing Blizzard used:
    Who is the arakkoa "master" that Isfar talks about? It is not Terokk…
    There are more Old Gods than just the ones trapped on Azeroth. It takes a lot for them to become manifested on a physical plane, however; see the quest line in Shadowmoon Valley that ends with "Thwart the Dark Conclave" for more information. (Ask CDev)
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2014-05-06 at 08:49 AM.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Looking at Isfar's page, it's implied that Summoned Old God is the "master" he refers to. I can't wait to learn about their lore in WoD, and we seem to be getting Arakkoa racial fragments for Archaeology, which is awesome.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoroth View Post
    The 'evolution' of the Troll race. Highly speculative, but the Dark Troll lineage is confirmed.

Numbers = descendant line
    Letters = species variant

For example: The Forest Troll, Jungle Troll and Dark Troll are the first line of descendants (1) of the Zandalari Trolls, while they're each a different species (a, b, c).

• (1a) Forest Troll -> (2a) Ice Troll
    • (1b) Jungle Troll -> (2a) Sand Troll, (2b) Dire Troll (Cursed)
    • (1b) Dark Troll -> (2a) Night Elf -> (3b) High Elf (Remaining Highborne) -> (4b) Blood Elf (Survivors of Quel'thalas)
    • (2a) Night Elf (ext.) -> (2b) Satyr (Burning Legion mutation) -> (2c) Naga (Azshara's followers' Old God mutation) -> (2d) Harpy (Betrayers of Queen Ashara)

On-topic: Most of the lore blogs on the wow insider website are some nice reads, but some are 'tin foil hat' editions, so take them with a grain of salt. One particular one I found very interesting: http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/11/03/kn...-the-old-gods/
    Last edited by Blithe; 2014-05-06 at 12:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Flavour Cat View Post
    Looking at Isfar's page, it's implied that Summoned Old God is the "master" he refers to. I can't wait to learn about their lore in WoD, and we seem to be getting Arakkoa racial fragments for Archaeology, which is awesome.
    speaking of archaeology.. how does that work seen as the archaeology stuff we discovered in outland should be the same stuff we would dig up in wod...as they are the same history 0o

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    speaking of archaeology.. how does that work seen as the archaeology stuff we discovered in outland should be the same stuff we would dig up in wod...as they are the same history 0o
    Nah, Draenor was shattered, so many artifacts would be destroyed and new ones appear. And, it's a video game

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Probably a plane more like the Twisting Nether or Void. The elemental plane was created by the Titans to imprison the elemental servants of the Old Gods.

The exact phrasing Blizzard used:
    Who is the arakkoa "master" that Isfar talks about? It is not Terokk…
    There are more Old Gods than just the ones trapped on Azeroth. It takes a lot for them to become manifested on a physical plane, however; see the quest line in Shadowmoon Valley that ends with "Thwart the Dark Conclave" for more information. (Ask CDev)
    I bet the old gods are big fat ugly void 'demons'. the void aka the shadow fits them perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by Blitheqt View Post
    For example: The Forest Troll, Jungle Troll and Dark Troll are the first line of descendants (1) of the Zandalari Trolls, while they're each a different species (a, b, c).

• (1a) Forest Troll -> (2a) Ice Troll
    • (1b) Jungle Troll -> (2a) Sand Troll, (2b) Dire Troll (Cursed)
    • (1b) Dark Troll -> (2a) Night Elf -> (3b) High Elf (Remaining Highborne) -> (4b) Blood Elf (Survivors of Quel'thalas)
    • (2a) Night Elf (ext.) -> (2b) Satyr (Burning Legion mutation) -> (2c) Naga (Azshara's followers' Old God mutation) -> (2d) Harpy (Betrayers of Queen Ashara)
    I thought Dire trolls were formed through alchemy and magic, some sort of Troll voodoo? Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I bet the old gods are big fat ugly void 'demons'. the void aka the shadow fits them perfectly
    That actually makes sense since void creatures aren't actually considered demons.
    Last edited by DriveKnight; 2014-05-07 at 02:27 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsurugix00 View Post
    I thought Dire trolls were formed through alchemy and magic, some sort of Troll voodoo? Am I right?

That actually makes sense since void creatures aren't actually considered demons.
    yep and the void walker 'demons', aka void elementals are their servants ba dum ts or at least related to them somehow
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2014-05-07 at 06:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I always liked the ideas that the Old Gods were truly 'outside' the known universe of Azeroth/Warcraft as we know it - outside the material plane, the twisting nether, the elemental plane, etc. They come from another reality entirely.

I don't see much of the Void about them, not the same kind that the void walker type entities are related to. The Old Gods aren't shadow or emptiness, the absence of Light - they're the opposite. The Titans referred to them as 'necrophotic' - in latin that means 'Dead Light.' My theory is that they're some manifestation of an opposite, Anti-Light from another reality.

All the horrible stuff they do are just the terrible side-effects of that anti-ness being present in the reality of Warcraft.

A suspected 5 for now, but Blizzard could always reduce/increase the number.

For now, we have:

C'Thun
    Yogg-Saron
    N'Zoth
    Y'Shaarj

So if Blizzard's plans from rather long ago (in game development terms) still apply, then we're short one Old God, for now.

N'Zoth is possibly the strongest of all of them, though.

Isnt there an old god beneath Tirisfal Glades?

Quote Originally Posted by Argarock View Post
    one, they're all the same being
    interesting theory this. I thought the same, or the Old Gods represent one sense each.

Eye of C'thun
    Maw of Yogg'Saron

haven't seen the others so we can't conclude, would be terrifying if the Old Gods are basically Power Rangers.

Thought now I'm more inclined to believe they're separate entities with no regime, no allegiance. Watch the world burn type stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    I always liked the ideas that the Old Gods were truly 'outside' the known universe of Azeroth/Warcraft as we know it - outside the material plane, the twisting nether, the elemental plane, etc. They come from another reality entirely.

I don't see much of the Void about them, not the same kind that the void walker type entities are related to. The Old Gods aren't shadow or emptiness, the absence of Light - they're the opposite. The Titans referred to them as 'necrophotic' - in latin that means 'Dead Light.' My theory is that they're some manifestation of an opposite, Anti-Light from another reality.

All the horrible stuff they do are just the terrible side-effects of that anti-ness being present in the reality of Warcraft.
    Some Event Horizon type shit?
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by AZM View Post
    I dont really know much about lore but Ive always wanted to know how many Old Gods are there in Azeroth. I do know they were all imprisoned by the Titans though but Im curious to how many Old Gods were there when the Titans fought them and why does it seem like they are meaner than Sargeras. You can correct me if Im wrong but then again I dont really know much about lore so yeah Ive got alot to learn still.
    Wasent the 5th one the one that was killed in Darkshore ??

Has it ever been confirmed what's causing the crazy in STV? With the singing shards and all. I remember it was heavily suggested (with that old artifact discovered there) there was something underneath it, but nothing ever came of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodia View Post
    Wasent the 5th one the one that was killed in Darkshore ??
    Nah, in Cata that was confirmed to be a lieutenant of one of the Old Gods